High Speed Adsl To Australia From Thai

oMega69

A ping this faster to Australia just don't seem possible...maybe 3BB has figured out how to exceed the speed of light...then again, maybe Speedtest is just giving an inaccurate/false reading.

Edited by Pib

A ping this faster to Australia just don't seem possible...maybe 3BB has figured out how to exceed the speed of light...then again, maybe Speedtest is just giving an inaccurate/false reading.

I think speedtest.net always has issues with its ping times

818316764.png

Sure wish I could get your speeds. Tonight my TOT 4Mb package is pulling down about one-twentieth of what you are getting to Sydney. For me, many of the international website have been very slow for the last few days...I expect TOT servers are overloaded by current events.

Sure wish I could get your speeds. Tonight my TOT 4Mb package is pulling down about one-twentieth of what you are getting to Sydney. For me, many of the international website have been very slow for the last few days...I expect TOT servers are overloaded by current events.

if what you are after is not time critical then do your surfing in Thai off peak hours, makes a huge difference here

818919373.png

Looks like the ping is from true or 3bb "hidden" proxy in bkk. Impossible ping times for any connection over that distance other than local servers.

As I said above there is always an issue with speedtest.net - as shown with their ping tests

17170949.png

Looks like the ping is from true or 3bb "hidden" proxy in bkk. Impossible ping times for any connection over that distance other than local servers.

That's probably the reason since one of the main purposes of a proxy server is help speed up access (or give the impression of a speed increase). But how much they may speed up things depends on various factors and in some case proxies can also unintentionally end up blocking/slowing access. A proxy could definitely fool many speed testing programs.

Im really looking for a different option for my internet ive had 3BB Premier 3mb for a year ,about 6 months ago they dropped me down to 1MB because they said im too far away or something, so im paying 1500 baht for 1MB download and most the times its only around .80.

Can i ask whats the difference in the 3bb Premier packages and the 3bb Pro packages? if you are getting 10mb download thats really good because you are getting 10mb download for the same price im paying to get 1MB? By the way im just north of soi siam right near pattaya nua.

edit: actually im paying a small amount less (1090 per month) but even 400 more a month its worth 5-9 MB more download.

Edited by daones

A great example of internet capability and price disparity across Thailand, even within the same ISP. Seems the rule of thumb appears to be: if you live in a high population area which has higher income folks your changes are much greater you will have access to high speed internet that actually is high speed. It pretty much comes down to location, location, location; and the expected return on investment.

There has been something wrong with speedtest.net.   It has been showing 22mS pings for me no matter what (civilized) country, which is impossible. The speed check seems OK though. Speedtest.adslthailand seems to show the correct ping time.

But anyway, yesterday (20th May) it returned to giving normal ping times. Whatever proxy was doing this has been removed, general network "snappiness" has returned. All of this seems to point to the government proxies being used while the present political situation is resolved.

FYI - I usually get 1Mbps up and 15.97 Mbps down with True internet, (from BKK) to most countries. Rarely drops much below full speed.

Edited by stolidfeline

Starting last night I also noticed a general network "snappiness"...and as of now/Friday afternoon, the snappiness is still there. I'm on the TOT 4Mb package which never went down during the protests but access to sites outside of Thailand definitely slowed down a lot over the past week...bandwidth being gobbled up by international news agencies, broken main internet lines within Bangkok, and possibly some govt monitoring. But, speed-wise, my internet access to international web sites is pretty much back to normal (for me at least). Knock on wood.

amazing speeds! and great value if you do always get those speeds too. When I first started with true the service was excellent, and then they reduced the price and increased the speed.. :/ and everything was so slow it was virtually unusable after that point.. they downgraded me back to my original speed and it was still painful..

im a strong believer that you get what you pay for :)

Further to my earlier post: I went into 3BB and upgraded to 10Mb package. I get about 7Mb downlaod so it is a big improvement over the 2.8Mb I used to get. Not perfect, but getting there - and I remember dialling up on a 56 K modem.