How To Economise?

RioMist

With the pound and euro at lows not seen for many years.. how are you managing? Are you on a fixed income from a pension overseas..? How can we economise or do you have any ideas how to make some money?? Like myself I think there are many people out there now finding Thailand a expensive place to live. I'm not sure if there are any countries in Asia not been effected by the drifting pound sterling. I think there must be quite a few people now considering moving back to UK or Europe.. Any good ideas or if you are considering moving to another country.. where would you go?

Im not knocking Phuket in any way. But you could reduce your outgoing's by half if you moved out. Give you an idea last night I was out at one of the bar's where I live and paid 55bt for a large Leo. Thailand is still reasonable. But not tourist resort's, if your cash come's in in Euro's or pound's.

I'm not sure where you have done your "visa runs" or, if you have had a look around neighbouring countries as a tourist, but, if you were to visit Lao, Cambodia or Vietnam, you would see these countries are A LOT cheaper. Vietnam, in particular, has great beaches, food, culture, "adult entertainment" restaurants, beaches, etc and is now well serviced by budget airlines.

Why go back to Europe/UK when you can go "next door." If you have a missus, just tell her you are both going on a long holiday to a neighbouring country and ride out the economic storm from there. Due to cheap flights, you could visit friends and family for a week or two and then return. You may even love the place/s and decide to forget all about Thailand.

Thailand is fast losing it's appeal as these neighbouring countries are catering for tourism in a big way, without all the mistakes Thailand has made, and continues to make, in their tourism and expat industry.

If you do a little bit of research on the internet, you will be able to compare the cost of living in each country, compared to Thailand. You will notice that your pound/euro goes a lot further in places that are only a very short flight away.

Personally i do not find phuket expensive compared to the cost of living in Australia.

We visited Perth in Febuary and prices have gone through the ceiling there over the

last 4 years and i expect its the same in Europe.

Living in Patong is expensive compared to the south of the island where everything is

cheaper including accommodation, restaurants, bars, markets etc and there are lots

of expats living in the Chalong and Rawai areas, it might be worth your while checking

the area out if you want to save some money.

Switch to Thai food (if you haven't already)

It is much cheaper than farang food and much healthier too.

Drink only instant coffee you make at home and if you are going to drink beer, buy it by the box and drink it at home or a friend's home.

Buy your clothes (unless you are too big) at the farmer's markets instead of the malls.

Use your motorbike instead of your car or truck to get around.

Plant a garden.

Go to the beach more and bars/restaurants less.

Read the news online instead of buying newspapers.

Renegotiate your rent with your landlord (good luck with this one) as everyone knows times are tougher now.

Switch to those 10 and 13 watt lightbulbs and turn off lights when you leave any room. (turn off the aircon and use a small fan instead)

These are the best suggestions i can do off the top of my head without knowing you and your lifestyle.

Do you really think it's better back where you come from?

Personally i do not find phuket expensive compared to the cost of living in Australia.

We visited Perth in Febuary and prices have gone through the ceiling there over the

last 4 years and i expect its the same in Europe.

Living in Patong is expensive compared to the south of the island where everything is

cheaper including accommodation, restaurants, bars, markets etc and there are lots

of expats living in the Chalong and Rawai areas, it might be worth your while checking

the area out if you want to save some money.

seconded

Patong is on average 20% more expensive than the rest of Phuket