Curfew Tonight In Pattaya, Yes Or No?

Jingthing

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I an confirm Pattaya is under curfew as i am in Pattaya. All the beach Road up to the 3rd road is closed, every 7eleven is closed the banks are closed for the next 3 days and down town is dark the electric is turned off.

Aparently the red shirts may be going to laem chabang port. if they do come to Pattaya they usually congregate outside the city hall or the bottom of soi khao talo on sukhumvit which is near were i live.

There' no mischief i can confirm this. Everywhere is closed down until 6pm. I do admit i am hearing different times for the curfew and i didn't get any warning their was a curfew.

All bars are closed including some of my friends in different pattaya locations. I get no pleasure from delivering bad news or witing this thread.

No sign of any Reds at their usual spot on Suk / Khaotalo at 22:30.

DM

I would not expect any to be there really. That site was used only as a fundraising site. Their main "base" is in Soi Petragoon which is behind Big C in North Pattaya.

I can recommend to anyone with half a brain, a computer and internet connection to get a twitter account, follow other people (such as Thai Visa / @georgebkk) for some good accurate information on whats happening in Pattaya, or Bangkok etc on this topic. It really is much better than talking with the man in the pub, albeit less fun.

Good luck

I just got a sms message from my partner who is at work in a restaurant in Jomtien, told me not to go out tonight , red shirts in Pattaya "boom" whatever that means. Im staying home, like many I was hoping it would end without further loss of life and I feel for those affected plus of course the huge loss of business. With buildings being set on fire one has to wonder where it is all going to end. A very sad period in the history of this lovely country.

And it not gonne improve soon.Just heard from a friend who flew in yesterday that on the china airlines flight from Amsterdam there were 9 people in economy.

Might have something to do with China Airlines Economy Class, rather than Thailand. I wouldn't fly them.

good reply token!! well said :)

im here at a hotel on north pattaya rd. everything is closed down, all bars are closed, shopping malls/plaza and all. there were police cars running around the streets telling everyone to go home and shut down their stalls/shops. even family mart and 7/11 are now closed with newspaper wrapped all around the front of the shops (to prevent looting?).

just to confirm, i can see big c from where i am standing, there is no fire.. information at these times can be confusing. please be careful when declaring news like that.

Thank you for that, and I agree 100% with your comment.

yes i have lived through the political unrest of 1998 in indonesia. So much worse than this. Many minorities are raped and robed. Thats why my thinkin is not to spread panic. But still, stay safe everyone. Thinking of getting tickets back home tomorroe. Holiday cut short by a week, shoot!

It's time for Pattaya tourism to give out free rooms. And free air flights. And free food. And free flak jackets.

From my hotel room i can get a glimpse of 2nd road, 150 meters from the Marriott. Everything looks almost normal albeit extremely quiet. I can see some private cars and motorcycles passing and even the garbage truck stopped 10 minutes ago to collect some plastic bags. It seems a "very light" curfew.

Message for all home owners in Thailand and Pattaya

Your 10 million baht condo or house is now worth about 99 baht.

:)

i don't think you understand Thai economy. in times of struggle and strife, they raise the prices. so, yes, in reality your house might be worth 99 baht, but don't put it on the market for anything less than 11 million.

It's time for Pattaya tourism to give out free rooms. And free air flights. And free food. And free flak jackets.

From my hotel room i can get a glimpse of 2nd road, 150 meters from the Marriott. Everything looks almost normal albeit extremely quiet. I can see some private cars and motorcycles passing and even the garbage truck stopped 10 minutes ago to collect some plastic bags. It seems a "very light" curfew.

That's a strange conclusion. Pattaya has shut down completely. This never happens. 24 hour supermarkets that are never closed have closed. Even Tony's gym was closed and he never closes. All street vendors have packed up and gone home. If you want to breathe some fresh air, now's your only chance in Pattaya.

Edited by tropo

What oil refineries do you mean?

Don't know of any in Sattahip.

Sattahip is purely a Thai Navy town/base.

Travel another 40 minutes through towards Rayong town and you'll hit Maptaput first.

Big industrial area there- - nearly all petro- chemical plants and oil refineries.

I'm in Ban Chang and business is as usual here.

Just come back from shopping in Tescos and having a KFC. No curfew here in Rayong Province.

I doubt anybody would come this far to start trouble - there's plenty of industrial targets in the Sri Racha/ Laam Chabang area if that's what they're looking for.

Seems though that really they are looking to hit symbols of the state and luxury capitalism/consumerism so to 'hurt' the 'ammat' - govt buildings, banks, shopping malls, PAD biased news/ TV stations,

Re : Sathahip .... My understanding (but what do I know) is that a visiting US naval ship has been picketed with red shirt blockades as it was felt the US was a friend of the Thai government and 5,000 + sailors did not come ashore as they usually do.

That's a strange conclusion. Pattaya has shut down completely. This never happens. 24 hour supermarkets that are never closed have closed. Even Tony's gym was closed and he never closes. All street vendors have packed up and gone home. If you want to breathe some fresh air, now's your only chance in Pattaya.

Except of course the only place to get that breath of fresh air is going to be from your window or balcony -- well, legally speaking. But then, Pattaya is pretty famous for its somewhat lash interpretation of laws etc. Noticing traffic here in Jomtien as well, albeit light.

What oil refineries do you mean?

Don't know of any in Sattahip.

Sattahip is purely a Thai Navy town/base.

Travel another 40 minutes through towards Rayong town and you'll hit Maptaput first.

Big industrial area there- - nearly all petro- chemical plants and oil refineries.

I'm in Ban Chang and business is as usual here.

Just come back from shopping in Tescos and having a KFC. No curfew here in Rayong Province.

I doubt anybody would come this far to start trouble - there's plenty of industrial targets in the Sri Racha/ Laam Chabang area if that's what they're looking for.

Seems though that really they are looking to hit symbols of the state and luxury capitalism/consumerism so to 'hurt' the 'ammat' - govt buildings, banks, shopping malls, PAD biased news/ TV stations,

From what i heard, a few high ranking water melons down in Sattahip.. :D

Sucks for me, i work there with red coveralls.. :):D:D:D

I can only confirm. I just did a test: in 60 seconds I counted 11 motorcycles, 4 baht buses, 3 private cars and a police car (red light on, I guess it's police). That's really light traffic, I agree, but not what I've had expected during curfew.

Just got home.

all bars of note closed.

went to to a thai karoake / snooker bar on the dark side

police came round qt 9:45pm and told them to close down. thais in the snooker room cleared as if there was a bomb !

we stayed put with a couple of TG's . and all went back to normal after the police left.

food vendors pulling up as normal at 10:30pm.

police came again at 11:15pm asked them to move the large bottles/jugs of the flavored thai whiskey out of sight.

al in the dark but hey that was more fun .

SOOOOoo. look hard enuf u can find them open .

we left as we got a bit bored anyway and home now.

also during a chat I was told bang saray was alive like no other night being rayong province so out of curfew zone

Edited by silentnine

Message for all home owners in Thailand and Pattaya

Your 10 million baht condo or house is now worth about 99 baht.

:)

99 Baht !!!-- Clever comment ---

Stop being jealous of people who can afford what you obviously cannot.......

Guess what? Thailand will weather this storm. People will still post on this website and tourists will still come to Thailand.

But I hope people like you will visit Vietnam or Cambodia instead.

By the way -- if you have any property here, I will be more than happy to purchase it for 10% of the fair market value (99 Baht Fire Sale)-- CASH!!

Just got an e-mail from the "U.S. Department of State Warden," which says, in part:

This warden message alerts U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand that the Royal Thai Government through the Center for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has announced that a curfew is in place from 8:00pm to 6:00am starting tonight, Wednesday, May 19. This curfew applies to the Bangkok metropolitan area and to all Thai provinces under the State of Emergency (see details below). Early morning flights may be impacted because of the curfew and the inability of crews and passengers to arrive at the airport before their scheduled flight. If you will be flying out of Bangkok in the next several days, we recommend that you confirm your flight with your airline before you leave for the airport. Reports indicate that troops have authority to shoot on sight in response to acts of inciting unrest. American citizens should maintain a low profile and refrain from nighttime outside activity until the situation improves.

And, it went on to include Cholburi in a list of provinces where the State of Emergency applies.

Just had an update from a team of local Thai journalists who are camped out at Pattaya Police Station. Everything is as normal as it can be, no major incidents to report apart from a woman who drove her pick-up along 3rd road and hit parked cars as she drove and then failed to stop. Still no word about any major red shirt activity in Pattaya as well.

Just had an update from a team of local Thai journalists who are camped out at Pattaya Police Station. Everything is as normal as it can be, no major incidents to report apart from a woman who drove her pick-up along 3rd road and hit parked cars as she drove and then failed to stop. Still no word about any major red shirt activity in Pattaya as well.

Thank you Howard.

I am sure many anxious folk will appreciate your update.

Right now, no news is the best news :)

Pattaya City Hall is CLEARLY at risk given that it was a scene of protest before and the burnings of city halls in other provinces. Also do you think the police would stop them here? This is a red city, just like Isaan. Watch out.

I hate to say this but I think it would be best for people to avoid the shopping malls in Pattaya for the time being, until it becomes clear what the reds plan is for Pattaya. They clearly don't care about ruining tourism and ruining the Thai economy and people's jobs. Whether you think they are terrorists or not isn't really the point now, protecting your arse and those you care about IS.

I'm not so good in thai politics,maybe because this is not my homecountry,but anyway if pattaya is a red city then I guess city hall is the last building they gonna burn.

Good Morning, are you joking? What happened to the City halls in Khon Khen and Udon and others? Those people know nothing they just hate their country.

The government announcements on Thai TV in English make no mention of a curfew outside of Bangkok, so I think it is safe to assume that the rumour is probably just mischief making.

I'm all for a bit of fun and leg pulling, but considering the terrible tragedies that are unfolding in Bangkok and elsewhere, IMHO it is in extremely bad taste to make jokes on these threads about the troubles and whether or not there is a curfew in Pattaya.

Many of us have friends and family in Bangkok and even many folk here are very worried that the violence may spread to Pattaya- and it might well do that.

Bangkok is being torched - it aint funny.

So how about keeping the black humour to Bedlam forums , guys?

/quote]

I received a notice this morning from U.S. State department, that there is a curfew tonight in Chonburi.

Warden Message: Curfew Announced Throughout Thailand

May 19, 2010

This warden message alerts U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand that the Royal Thai Government through the Center for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has announced that a curfew is in place from 8:00pm to 6:00am starting tonight, Wednesday, May 19. This curfew applies to the Bangkok metropolitan area and to all Thai provinces under the State of Emergency (see details below). Early morning flights may be impacted because of the curfew and the inability of crews and passengers to arrive at the airport before their scheduled flight. If you will be flying out of Bangkok in the next several days, we recommend that you confirm your flight with your airline before you leave for the airport. Reports indicate that troops have authority to shoot on sight in response to acts of inciting unrest. American citizens should maintain a low profile and refrain from nighttime outside activity until the situation improves.

The U.S. Embassy, including visa operations, will be closed Thursday, May 20 and Friday, May 21. American Citizen Services (ACS) will be available for emergencies by phone only at 02-205-4049. For after-hours emergencies, please call 02-205-4000. The U.S. Embassy recommends against coming to the area near the U.S. Embassy.

ACS has opened a temporary location at the Westin Grand Sukhumvit. Please see details in our recent announcement.

U.S. citizens should avoid travel to and lodging in the area of the U.S. Embassy and the areas in and around all demonstrations, if possible. If U.S. citizens must travel to these areas, they should exercise special caution and remain vigilant with regard to their personal security. U.S. Embassy personnel who live around this area have been given the option to relocate to housing outside of the affected area until the situation is resolved. U.S. citizens are reminded to exercise caution and vigilance at all times.

A State of Emergency has been declared in the following provinces:

· Bangkok metropolitan area

· Chiang Mai

· Chiang Rai

· Lampang

· Nan

· Nakhon Sawan

· Samut Prakan

· Chon Buri

· Nonthaburi

· Pathum Thani

· Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya

· Khon Kaen

· Udon Thani

· Chaiyaphum

· Nakhon Ratchasima

· Si Sa Ket

· Kalasin

· Mukdaharn

U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little or no warning. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid the areas that may be targeted for demonstrations and to exercise caution in their movements around Bangkok.

Since May 15, 2010, the Department of State has advised U.S. citizens to avoid all travel to Bangkok and all non-essential travel to the rest of Thailand. You should review the Department’s most recent Travel Warning for Thailand.

The Department strongly encourages U.S. citizens in Thailand to register with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok or through the State Department's travel registration website. For information on general crime and security issues, U.S. citizens may also consult the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Thailand and the Worldwide Caution, located at the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website. U.S. citizens may also obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 from the United States and Canada, or 202-501-4444 from overseas.

The American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Embassy Bangkok is located at 95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The emergency after-hours telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

The government announcements on Thai TV in English make no mention of a curfew outside of Bangkok, so I think it is safe to assume that the rumour is probably just mischief making.

I'm all for a bit of fun and leg pulling, but considering the terrible tragedies that are unfolding in Bangkok and elsewhere, IMHO it is in extremely bad taste to make jokes on these threads about the troubles and whether or not there is a curfew in Pattaya.

Many of us have friends and family in Bangkok and even many folk here are very worried that the violence may spread to Pattaya- and it might well do that.

Bangkok is being torched - it aint funny.

So how about keeping the black humour to Bedlam forums , guys?

I received a notice this morning from U.S. State department, that there is a curfew tonight in Chonburi.

Warden Message: Curfew Announced Throughout Thailand

May 19, 2010

The U.S. Embassy, including visa operations, will be closed Thursday, May 20 and Friday, May 21. American Citizen Services (ACS) will be available for emergencies by phone only at 02-205-4049. For after-hours emergencies, please call 02-205-4000. The U.S. Embassy recommends against coming to the area near the U.S. Embassy.

ACS has opened a temporary location at the Westin Grand Sukhumvit. Please see details in our recent announcement.

U.S. citizens should avoid travel to and lodging in the area of the U.S. Embassy and the areas in and around all demonstrations, if possible. If U.S. citizens must travel to these areas, they should exercise special caution and remain vigilant with regard to their personal security. U.S. Embassy personnel who live around this area have been given the option to relocate to housing outside of the affected area until the situation is resolved. U.S. citizens are reminded to exercise caution and vigilance at all times.

A State of Emergency has been declared in the following provinces:

· Bangkok metropolitan area

· Chiang Mai

· Chiang Rai

· Lampang

· Nan

· Nakhon Sawan

· Samut Prakan

· Chon Buri

· Nonthaburi

· Pathum Thani

· Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya

· Khon Kaen

· Udon Thani

· Chaiyaphum

· Nakhon Ratchasima

· Si Sa Ket

· Kalasin

· Mukdaharn

U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little or no warning. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid the areas that may be targeted for demonstrations and to exercise caution in their movements around Bangkok.

Since May 15, 2010, the Department of State has advised U.S. citizens to avoid all travel to Bangkok and all non-essential travel to the rest of Thailand. You should review the Department's most recent Travel Warning for Thailand.

The Department strongly encourages U.S. citizens in Thailand to register with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok or through the State Department's travel registration website. For information on general crime and security issues, U.S. citizens may also consult the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Thailand and the Worldwide Caution, located at the Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs website. U.S. citizens may also obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 from the United States and Canada, or 202-501-4444 from overseas.

The American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Embassy Bangkok is located at 95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The emergency after-hours telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

this post is 11 hours late, the curfew was enforced in Pattaya last night and it ended at 6 am