Vlc Thai Subtitles

A_Traveller

Given that we may be spending more time in for a few evening I was looking at adding some Thai subtitle tracks to some downloaded movies. English or similar [French etc.] all seem to work fine, even if I add them form another source which I'm doing for Thai.

However, either I get no text, or odd characters. I'm assuming it's to do with the coding [iIRC Thai has at least 3 options, under Windows].

Anyone have some advice or ideally a 'cheat sheet' to fix this?

Regards & TIA

I have tried and failed many times to get VLC working with Thai subtitles (text style srt ssa etcnot graphic).

However I ave given up and for that reason I now use this software to play movies with these subtitle types

And before you ask, despite the name it does play movies of most types

Funny. I'm having the same problem right now. I'm trying to add subtitles from www.thaisubtitle.com and they're just showing as gibberish in VLC and also when converted to DVD format for my player through ConvertXtoDVD.

Don't know if this will help but maybe worth a try

Control Panel - Regional Language Options - Advanced - from the drop down menu choose Thai.

:)

This is my standard setting and it does not work for me. I have tried many suggestions on other forums such as installing extra fonts etc and could get none of them to work which is wy I decided to use a different player for movies with Thai subtitles.

Well someone doesn't love. Having tied the combinations, on 2 systems [1 Vista 1 Win 7] I'm still Thai subtitleless even trying the Jet software.

Weird.

Any other thoughts? {since the curfew seems set to go on and on and on]

Regards

If you can't find a solution with VLC you might try Media Player Classic. Goto Options -> Subtitles -> Font and select THAI in the second dropdown. MPC is included in the K-Lite Codec package.

welo

• 5 months later...

I still don't understand why people try to cobble together fansubs and AVIs when you can just get proper material from Thai-centric BT sites but... (Hey, I used to waste my time doing this too.)

This seems to be a known problem. I Googled "Thai Subtitles VLC" and got a ton o hits...

Found this...

You need to load a program name Sisulizer's Kaboom The Conversion Utility

at - http://www.sisulizer.com. This program will help you converted sub's file

after you get the program, open tab : File converter

Sourcd filename is your sub's file,

codepage group : MS-DOS; Code page: Code page 00874- MS-DOS Thai

just ignore the middle parts

On the bottom there are another Codepage group/Code page

for Code page group choose UNICODE; Code page: UTF-8

leave the box in front of Write BOM - blank

Mark the box in front of Word wrap and Change content-type

Then click covert.... the save as box appear and choose where your want to save

the converted file

Edited by lomatopo

I've also never been able to get VLC to work with Thai subtitles, but no problems with GOM player, which is also a free download and IMO, better than VLC anyway. You just use the subtitle explorer to find the subtitle file once you download the st. You can also adjust the speed of the subtitle, which is important, because in many cases, the timing is off. good luck

• 1 month later...

I've also never been able to get VLC to work with Thai subtitles, but no problems with GOM player, which is also a free download and IMO, better than VLC anyway. You just use the subtitle explorer to find the subtitle file once you download the st. You can also adjust the speed of the subtitle, which is important, because in many cases, the timing is off. good luck

I have now pretty much ditched VLC entirely in favour of Gom.

Once I found out how easily I could customise the controls/hotkeys etc, and fix the res, it was pretty good. Just wish I could up the volume a little more. Even with the Normalizer boost enabled and everything maxed, it's still too quiet with headphones.

• 8 months later...

I had problems for years trying to add Thai subtitles to existing videos. There are lots of different subtitle types and lots of ways to edit them and lots of ways to add them to the movie. You problem could occur at any stage of the process. What was always causing me problems was the Thai character set and encoding it correctly.

Here's what I do now and it always works.

Download the subtitles from wherever. Thaisubtitles.com is a good place.

Load them up in subtitle workshop to confirm timings are OK. They often are not but subtitle workshop has lots of tools to fix that. It's a free download form http://www.urusoft.net/downloads.php?lang=1

I then use mkvmerge (another free download) to combine movie and subtitles into an mkv file. However there is a trick and it took me a long time to figure it out. If the subtitles are Thai then you must select the right charachter set. To do that click on the subtitle in the tracks, chapters and tags window. Make sure it is highlighted. Under that window, click on the format specific options tab. Select charset and choose windows-874 as the encoding - its almost at the bottom of the list. Go ahead and make your mkv file.

These files play with the correct subtitles in all players I have tried, including VLC.

• 7 months later...

# This is worked for Thai Subtitles for VLC media player 2.0.1 Twoflower

# When you find the Thai subtitle with srt extension, give exactly the same name with the movie

# as an example: If the movie name is mymovie DOT avi the subtitle has to be mymovie DOT srt - this way it starts automatically, other wise drag and drop the subtitle.

Under VLC media player the menu on the left top side, do the following:

Tools/Preferences/Subtitles & OSD/

Default encoding : Thai (TIS 620-2533/ISO 8859-11)

Font: Angsana New

Then click "save" button.

#You can try different Thai fonts or Thai (Windows-874) encoding

Good luck!