Do You Plan To Reduce Your Use Of Malls In Thailand?

Jingthing

Do you plan to reduce your use of MALLS in Thailand?  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As reported on Al Jazeera English based on a report by a red shirt leader in hiding (and hinted at by Thaksin himself) the red shirt movement may now go UNDERGROUND and engage in "guerrilla warfare" including terrorists acts against shopping malls. If this it true and they carry this through, our lives may be at risk going about our normal activities at Thai malls, shopping, browsing, socializing, eating, free aircon, movies, etc.

Given this clearly articulated threat, do you intend to change your mall attending behavior?

Note -- if you can, please keep the comments on your concerns about using malls now that the terror threats have been made, as opposed to debates about the pros and cons of the red shirt movement (which you can talk about elsewhere).

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's the first time I hear about terrorist acts against shopping malls, so I will put it simply as a rumour and a smearing political campaign against opposition.

on monday there will be a discussion in the parliament and a vote of no confidence against PM and four ministers, there might be a snap election and new government coming up shortly

Edited by londonthai

It's not a rumor. It was a credible report on Al Jazeera reporting from Chiang Mai. The comparison was made to south Thailand Muslim terrorists, that that's what at least some factions of reds will start doing and this was from a red leader himself. Certainly Thai Muslims are Thais and they have bombed populated public places killing many Thais many times, so how absurd can you get that Thais would never murder other innocent Thais? Hopefully, it will never happen from the reds, but the threat HAS been made. Accept reality or not, up to you.

Of course, I don't think many people will change their behavior UNLESS this actually happens. You can be sure IF it happens, people will change their behavior, that's what terrorism is all about. On the other hand, those saying they will use malls more, I don't understand that except if you actually believe there is no threat. Sorry, there is a threat, that is a fact.

Edited by Jingthing

that's the first time I hear about terrorist acts against shopping malls, so I will put it simply as a rumour and a smearing political campaign against opposition.

on monday there will be a discussion in the parliament and a vote of no confidence against PM and four ministers, there might be a snap election and new government coming up shortly

Just watch Al Jazeera, the report was there. Also many times the press has reported Thaksin's "prediction" that if the reds in Bangkok were broken up that he "feared" the reds would become an underground "guerilla war" movement. What do you think such warriors do? They attack.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't think you will see a mass boycott of the malls unless a few of them are randomly attacked.

That would be a pretty cowardly thing for someone to do BUT it happens in various places of the world. We can't be foolish to think it would be impossible to happen here. There is always some faction of a group or some loon willing to take things to the next level. We can only hope and pray to whatever god we pray to, that it never does.

I don't plan to change my lifestyle for the redshirts or any other color. The chances of me being hurt at the mall are much smaller than the chances of getting in a traffic accident getting there. That would be living in fear and if that ever happens I will move and not put up with it.

Besides if they destroy the malls where would they go to get away from the heat? :)

It's not a rumor. It was a credible report on Al Jazeera reporting from Chiang Mai. The comparison was made to south Thailand Muslim terrorists, that that's what at least some factions of reds will start doing and this was from a red leader himself. Certainly Thai Muslims are Thais and they have bombed populated public places killing many Thais many times, so how absurd can you get that Thais would never murder other innocent Thais? Hopefully, it will never happen from the reds, but the threat HAS been made. Accept reality or not, up to you.

Of course, I don't think many people will change their behavior UNLESS this actually happens. You can be sure IF it happens, people will change their behavior, that's what terrorism is all about. On the other hand, those saying they will use malls more, I don't understand that except if you actually believe there is no threat. Sorry, there is a threat, that is a fact.

the majority of Thailand's Muslims are ethnically NOT Thai. brush up your history knowledge of Thailand's south.

So far there have been no incidents in malls open to the public in Thailand and I would expect that to continue. The moronic Abhisit govt. cutting off of the water supply and subsequent disabling of the fire suppression system in a very large building is very troubling. They have shown no remorse for this savage act.

No, and to be honest why?

Life goes on, things happen - but if people reacted to every threat then they would never go anywhere. I am sure a number of Brits will remember the IRA activity in the 80's which always carried a threat, but people just got on with their life. It's really as someone already said "Drama Queen" stuff.

:D That is what you wish will happen. :)

And the vote of confidence instigated by PTP (Political arm of Red Shirts) will then put forward Chalerm as the alternative PM :D . Think there is little chance that PTP will be able to bring down the government at this time, and it says a lot about the agenda of that party that at this time they are still willing to put their own personal ambitions in front of stability, which this country so badly needs now.

This is Thailand everyone including government always claim to do something or threaten about something, but is all hot air. People have short memory and trying to continue to scare people is like crying wolf

:D That is what you wish will happen. :)

And the vote of confidence instigated by PTP (Political arm of Red Shirts) will then put forward Chalerm as the alternative PM :D . Think there is little chance that PTP will be able to bring down the government at this time, and it says a lot about the agenda of that party that at this time they are still willing to put their own personal ambitions in front of stability, which this country so badly needs now.

Well, Mr.Chalerm Yoobamrung---now there's an honest politician with good moral values--making him the new P.M., eh--a breath of fresh air to Thai politics, at last.

This is Thailand everyone including government always claim to do something or threaten about something, but is all hot air. People have short memory and trying to continue to scare people is like crying wolf

Perhaps it is all of that hot air that is causing this heat wave in LOS :)

link to leader saying that they will attack shopping malls?

I would like to give you a link, but the thread is mostly based on a television report on Al Jazeera English which was shown a number of times yesterday on their news loop. That was about a fugitive red leader based in Chiang Mai (who the government is hunting down). I don't think there is a rule that a link needs to be supplied for everything. Not all media sources are internet links. I hope you are not accusing me of making up what I heard on television.

As far as the Thaksin comment about guerilla warfare, that did not specifically mention malls. The report from Chiang Mai did.

People who want to resort to personal attacks, go ahead. Make a joke about this, up to you. If you insists., may I suggest at the very least you try to be ORIGINAL?

The comment about Muslim Thais above was outrageous. Of course they are Thais! Thai is a NATIONALITY.

I agree UNLESS a major mall attack incident actually happens during opening hours, most people are not going to change their behavior. I am not saying the SHOULD do so either, in case that was your impression. Terrorists want people to change their behavior based on their threats and actions, so if we do, they win. On the other hand, it is natural to try to prevent personal injury.

Edited by Jingthing

Now that Mr Savage, 48, a victim of nominative determinism, has been detained, I feel it is safe to go back in the water.

A flip comment, but his case does show that sometimes threats turn into something more concrete.

r these attacks coming during the night or during the day?

The Al Jazeera report nor Thaksin's comments weren't specific on that detail. However, if they do copy the tactics of the southern Thai terrorists, they will target people along with the buildings.

Some more hints of what the reds may be up to now is being actively discussed on another thread here based on this news item --

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle7133938.ece

It was from Klong Toey that black-clad men on motorbikes sped out to set fire to the gleaming stock exchange building, which looks down on it from the other side of a road junction. Later there were numerous accounts from frightened residents of vengeful redshirts huddled in councils of war in drinking dens and tenements.

"They say we should do what the Muslims do in the south,” reported several locals, referring to a shadowy insurgency that has cost more than 3,000 lives in Thailand’s southernmost provinces since 2004. It is a murderous campaign without known leaders, which the army has been unable to stop

Please limit THIS thread to your feelings about how these threats will impact your mall usage. That other thread is there to discuss more about the politics of the matter.

Edited by Jingthing