Steroids

Do u think steriod use should be allowed in sport  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Steriods whats the big deal...?

Steriods do not make u run faster, jump higher, punch harder, swim faster, etc...

They only enable ur body to recover quicker so u can train that muscle earlier than u would if no steriods where applied....

They only assist sports people.......u still have to go out there and run the 100"...u still have to lift the weight, u still have to kick the goal......

So if someone wants to take steriods, why shouldnt it be up to them, its their body..

Its never going to go away....do u think that an elite soccer player or rugby player wouldnt take a course", to recover from an injury quick, so as to not lose his place on the team....with so much money on the line and only a short time to make it in his sporting career......

We pay the money to watch the sport....we want to see the best......

Isnt that whats sports all about.....

Edited by penzman

Steriods do not make u run faster, jump higher, punch harder, swim faster, etc...

They only enable ur body to recover quicker so u can train that muscle earlier than u would if no steriods where applied....

They only assist sports people.......u still have to go out there and run the 100"...u still have to lift the weight, u still have to kick the goal......

So if someone wants to take steriods, why shouldnt it be up to them, its their body..

Its never going to go away....do u think that an elite soccer player or rugby player wouldnt take a course", to recover from an injury quick, so as to not lose his place on the team....with so much money on the line and only a short time to make it in his sporting career......

Well, like most drugs, the argument - "it's their body - it's up to them" does not cover the impact of the drugs on close friends and family.

In the case of steroids, many of the drugs popular with bodybuilders increase aggessiveness considerably - which can get you into all kids of trouble. There's lots steroid users that beat their wives up when juiced up that would never have done it off the juice.

Many steroids are also toxic to the liver and cause premature death - which will have an impact on friends & family.

Steroids have also been show to degrade the joints leading to arthritis in later life.

Steroids also strengthen the muslce but don't help the connective tissues - the tendons & ligaments - leading to more injuries.

All of the above aren't just side effects that have impact on the person themselves. It effects the family & puts a burden on the health services.

Finally - if we allow sportsmen to take drugs - then all sportsmen will have to take them to stay competetive. What about amateur sports players ? Your kids when they are in the 100 metres run representing their school ??

Well, like most drugs, the argument - "it's their body - it's up to them" does not cover the impact of the drugs on close friends and family.

In the case of steroids, many of the drugs popular with bodybuilders increase aggessiveness considerably - which can get you into all kids of trouble. There's lots steroid users that beat their wives up when juiced up that would never have done it off the juice.

Many steroids are also toxic to the liver and cause premature death - which will have an impact on friends & family.

Steroids have also been show to degrade the joints leading to arthritis in later life.

Steroids also strengthen the muslce but don't help the connective tissues - the tendons & ligaments - leading to more injuries.

All of the above aren't just side effects that have impact on the person themselves. It effects the family & puts a burden on the health services.

Finally - if we allow sportsmen to take drugs - then all sportsmen will have to take them to stay competetive. What about amateur sports players ? Your kids when they are in the 100 metres run representing their school ??

Sure there are some that are very toxic to ur liver, but there are also some that arent...

There is a science to taking them wisely, and if it was legal in sports, then the club doctors good monitor their usage and cycle's...it would be alot safer....

Alot of kids are already drinking those ultra-high Caffine drinks before they play sport to give them an edge......

The lad cant take a 8 weeks course of steriods to recover from a injury and go on playing football this season, but he can go down the pub, buy cigarette's and a bottle of whisky...

You are joking with this one, right? Do you watch baseball? Have you followed the career of Jason Giambi? How about the American football player Lyle Alzado- he died about, oh, 20 years prematurely due to steroid use. You still have to go out and run the 100???? You dont think Ben Johnson's 100 meter record wasnt aided by steroids?

Athlete or chemist ?

I seem to remember an East German field athlete talking about the side effects he had on his testicles. Anyone for raisins ?

Mind you if you're into Eastern European female shot putters I can see the arguement.

There has been talk about having two sets of world records in athletics. One for clean and one for drug assisted. The arguement being that

1) athletes actually could choose, how many are pressuered into using drugs to get that performance boost especially if they know their competotrs are using them.

2) if everything was out in the open then the sport would be easier to police

Its a risk thing. Personally I don't like the idea, but I voted yes. Why, because all sport has to have the risk element.

Would anyone like Formula 1 of the cars were speed limited to 90km/h, no because there is that thrill that the "gladiators" of F1 are willing to die for our entertainment.

First of all, whos the runner that just ran the fastest time in the world? His name escapes me at this time but i saw it on the news last night, i think he ran a 9.78 second 100m final. If you think he is el-natural, your kidding yourselves. When you get to an elite level of sport your are going to find that most, yes most, of the worlds best are or have taken performance enhancing suppliments/drugs.

Dont think steroid/drug use is restricted to obvious sports such as track and field,bodybuilding, weightlifting etc..... Drugs are common in most sports, basketball, swimming, football, baseball etc.... They are even common in the workplace.....aiding recovery, endurance, assisting mental alertness and many more benifits.

For the majority of people, steroids are frowned upon and have a negative "cult" following as all the horror stories are accounted. Most people will tell you how bad they are and how much damage they will do you to body and never mention the benefits, yes, benifits you can get from them. If taken under clinical supervision, in an informed and safe manner they are no more dangerous than smoking/drinking or any other drug that is widely consumed by people such as caffeine etc.....

Its only when drugs are abused that they are unsafe and have a detrimental affect to the body.....dosent matter what it is.....

It really is funny how someone will tell you how bad steroids and performance enhancing drugs are, and will then go out for a heavy night on the drink and the smoke....

I just wish poeple were more informed. Abuse is the problem, not the particular drug. If some one wants to take drugs, for sport or whatever reason, make sure you have all the information and then you will be as safe as you can be.

As for stereotyping, that will never change...........

Its a risk thing. Personally I don't like the idea, but I voted yes. Why, because all sport has to have the risk element.

Would anyone like Formula 1 of the cars were speed limited to 90km/h, no because there is that thrill that the "gladiators" of F1 are willing to die for our entertainment.

Very correct and agree - it's their choice of work and our waste of time - to watch them. So make it entertaining! stronger, meaner and bigger!

Arnold Shw. took almost border dosages of steroids and what ? From Austrian nothing - world known person and star.

You still have to go out and run the 100???? You dont think Ben Johnson's 100 meter record wasnt aided by steroids?

Net....

Do u know that 6" of the other runner's in that race tested positive for drugs ?....

Ben Johnson run that time and did not deserve to have it taken away....

This is what its all about.....

He will remember that moment forever, what a great moment to have, and people that were track side when he ran it, still talk about how awesome it was to see.....

That is what sport is all about....

First of all, whos the runner that just ran the fastest time in the world? His name escapes me at this time but i saw it on the news last night, i think he ran a 9.78 second 100m final. If you think he is el-natural, your kidding yourselves. When you get to an elite level of sport your are going to find that most, yes most, of the worlds best are or have taken performance enhancing suppliments/drugs.

Dont think steroid/drug use is restricted to obvious sports such as track and field,bodybuilding, weightlifting etc..... Drugs are common in most sports, basketball, swimming, football, baseball etc.... They are even common in the workplace.....aiding recovery, endurance, assisting mental alertness and many more benifits.

For the majority of people, steroids are frowned upon and have a negative "cult" following as all the horror stories are accounted. Most people will tell you how bad they are and how much damage they will do you to body and never mention the benefits, yes, benifits you can get from them. If taken under clinical supervision, in an informed and safe manner they are no more dangerous than smoking/drinking or any other drug that is widely consumed by people such as caffeine etc.....

Its only when drugs are abused that they are unsafe and have a detrimental affect to the body.....dosent matter what it is.....

It really is funny how someone will tell you how bad steroids and performance enhancing drugs are, and will then go out for a heavy night on the drink and the smoke....

I just wish poeple were more informed. Abuse is the problem, not the particular drug. If some one wants to take drugs, for sport or whatever reason, make sure you have all the information and then you will be as safe as you can be.

As for stereotyping, that will never change...........

So true.....so true

With regard to steroid use, you need to evaluate both the pros and the cons if you're considering using it to enhance your performance. Steroids may increase performance, help you to build up muscle faster and to recover from injuries more easily, but compared to the side effects these benefits are marginal. Steroids wreak all sorts of havoc on the human body destroying your brain, liver and reproductive system. "Roid rage", the aggressive behavior often exhibited by steroid users, is another problem. On top of that, if you're buying them illegally, who knows what else is in those drugs...the guys producing them in these basement labs could be adding mothballs for all you know.

People have competed in sports since the dawn of time and for most of that time steroids haven't been used. The human body is capable of doing a lot without the addition of drugs....more than most people realize. Whatever shortcuts steroids provide simply aren't worth the damage they cause.

But how about if the computer systems in the cars are improved to the extent that there is never a danger to the drivers and alot of their driver skills are made redundant because the "auto pilot" takes over from them most of the time.

BTW: The real gladiators are on 2 wheels (sometimes 1 or 0), not four.

walkerfly4fu.jpg

just wonderin', do chess players on steriods to improve their brain power  :o

Nope, definately not. :D

Find this post rather bizarre as most who take steriods are not at the top of their sport and are unlikely to achieve anything significant by taking them. Those that are face life bans if they are caught.

As for the long-term consequences of steriods, they are not fully understood as yet; therefore, a degree of risk is inevitable.

I agree with you 100% Pedro, you could not have put the case for sportsmen/women not taking steroids any better. Unfortunatley I have to have steroid injections at the moment, but I am very mindful of the consequences of taking it long term and would LOVE to come off them as SOON as possible.

TP

Find this post rather bizarre as most who take steriods are not at the top of their sport and are unlikely to achieve anything significant by taking them. Those that are face life bans if they are caught.

As for the long-term consequences of steriods, they are not fully understood as yet; therefore, a degree of risk is inevitable.

I think your missing the point here....... there are many many champions at the top of their sport that are drug assisted already. People do take the risk of getting caught and some are, but there are a lot that are not.

In many sports, athletes have are professionally managed with drugs.

Dontbe surprised if your favourite champion of your favourite sport has been or is drug assisted..............

Ive got to say that there has been extensive research on long term use of steroids, the risk is dramatically heightened if abuse is involved.......

My point is steroids are misunderstood, probably as a result of negative media, general understanding and misinformation....... :D

Find this post rather bizarre as most who take steriods are not at the top of their sport and are unlikely to achieve anything significant by taking them.

I think that this thread shows up the average age group of most TV posters (40+)....as most posters under 40, would have been around steriods at some point and know that its not the big bad life wreaking thing that some people make steriod use out to be.....

As for people performing at an elite level, to say that they are not using steriods at some stage of their season is very naive.....

Also to say that they do not make any advantage from taking steriods is silly....would u not say that to be back on the field playing instead of sitting on the side line for another 6 weeks with a nagging injury significant......

I think your missing the point here....... there are many many champions at the top of their sport that are drug assisted already. People do take the risk of getting caught and some are, but there are a lot that are not.

Dontbe surprised if your favourite champion of your favourite sport has been or is drug assisted..............

Ive got to say that there has been extensive research on long term use of steroids, the risk is dramatically heightened if abuse is involved.......

My point is steroids are misunderstood, probably as a result of negative media, general understanding and misinformation....... :D

Quick gains, massive mass increase, agressive hormone imbalance, shortened career life, heavy eyebrows and cro-magnon features...

Try growing up or living a sport life contending with this.

Try living next door to this or having the end results in your family life and friendship circles.

I don't have a real problem with performance enhancing means which have been studied and the effects responsibly conveyed to the users. Steriods haven't done this. I was raised to be and trained to be a professional athlete from the age of 10 (thanks dad). Many of my friends went the 'roid route.

At 43 I can still play football with the young guys. It takes me a few more days to recover but I can still hole my own.

My 'roid friends? They are f***ed up and finished by age 30.

Since then I've watched 20 or so "kids" turn into 'roid boys.' They aren't even 30 yet and they are garbage. Just big, stupid, psychologically damaged pieces of crap.

I smoke, so I declare it is every person's right to be as stupid as they like. Allow 'roids' into professional (who cares about baseball, really) sports as a sanctioned practice and you may as well tune into 'Gladiator' after midnight. No true talent. Just a bunch of five year bullheads.

Face it guys (and gals), 'roids' are a malformation. Believe me, when you see natural and developed talent versus built up artificialism there is no comparison.

You either have it, work for it, and exploit it while you have it, or take a sideline with a remote and a beer.

:D

Quick gains, massive mass increase, agressive hormone imbalance, shortened career life, heavy eyebrows and cro-magnon features...

Try living next door to this or having the end results in your family life and friendship circles.

I don't have a real problem with performance enhancing means which have been studied and the effects responsibly conveyed to the users. Steriods haven't done this. I was raised to be and trained to be a professional athlete from the age of 10 (thanks dad). Many of my friends went the 'roid route.

At 43 I can still play football with the young guys. It takes me a few more days to recover but I can still hole my own.

Since then I've watched 20 or so "kids" turn into 'roid boys.' They aren't even 30 yet and they are garbage. Just big, stupid, psychologically damaged pieces of crap.

I smoke, so I declare it is every person's right to be as stupid as they like. Allow 'roids' into professional (who cares about baseball, really) sports as a sanctioned practice and you may as well tune into 'Gladiator' after midnight. No true talent. Just a bunch of five year bullheads.

Face it guys (and gals), 'roids' are a malformation. Believe me, when you see natural and developed talent versus built up artificialism there is no comparison.

You either have it, work for it, and exploit it while you have it, or take a sideline with a remote and a beer.

Hi Moebius, i think conversation in a forum like this is good because it can only help to better inform oneself on topics such as this. Im definately not a pro steroid asdvocate but i can add because i have some experience in on this subject.

In my opinion what you have said is a "generalization" and to be honest, the view of most people but is not completely true. I agree that there are many people who fall int the category "bull heads" of which you describe, taking steroids indescriminately and putting their health at risk as a result.

Myself, judging on a case by case basis, i have seen people harmed by them and I know people in their 60's who are still pictures of health and going strong.

There is the misconception that if you are on steroids you dont have to work for your results and they just happen. That could not be further from the truth. I have met people who thought this way and achived nothing while taking dangerous amounts....

I said it before in the early post, most sports are drug assisted, next time you cheer for "Mr Athletic" running an incredible time on the 100 mtr final at the olympics, cheer for his pharmacutical company as well.... :D

To say that there would be no TRUE TALENT" in sport if steriods where allowed is ridiculous........

Most of the sports people u watch in sport now, are on something at sometime of the year.....

You do know that u can jump on a 8 week cycle on the off season, and be fine when the season begins, test negative........

Your scary deformed features and damaged brain stuff is the result of abuse and unmanaged programmes of steriods......

The big bad steriod guy is 20 years ago.....

0You either have it, work for it, and exploit it while you have it, or take a sideline with a remote and a beer.

:o

I said it before in the early post, most sports are drug assisted, next time you cheer for "Mr Athletic" running an incredible time on the 100 mtr final at the olympics, cheer for his pharmacutical company as well.... :D

:D:D

The most interesting thing in my experience, is how bad they look after coming off steroids. (and I am under 40 and have friends who have taken steroids). Build your muscles with the aid of steroids and then try to come off them and retain the same level of fitness... I haven't seen anybody be able to do it so far.

I come from a town where guys have little else to do but get drunk, bump uglies to make more kids, and build muscle mass to fit the local ideal of "man".

Combine this with steroids and you have the worst pub climate possible. It's enough for you to just stand there and enjoy a drink with your friends, for some over-sized pre-cromagnon p*sshead to determine you are looking at him, or his girlfriend, or somebody else, and decide to start a fight. This is my own, personal experience of steroids and steroid takers.

I am sure there are harm reduction strategies you may employ in order to reduce the impact they have on your health, in terms of dosage size, intervals, cocktail mix etc., but the fact still remains, they sure as he11 are not healthy as iceberg salad and I would never recommend anybody to use them.

Normal physical training and body-building is beneficial and has a positive effect on people. Why overdo it?

I come from a town where guys have little else to do but get drunk, bump uglies to make more kids, and build muscle mass to fit the local ideal of "man".

Combine this with steroids and you have the worst pub climate possible. It's enough for you to just stand there and enjoy a drink with your friends, for some over-sized pre-cromagnon p*sshead to determine you are looking at him, or his girlfriend, or somebody else, and decide to start a fight. This is my own, personal experience of steroids and steroid takers.

Unfortunately, this is true, this is where general population meets steroid abuse and nothing good can come from it. Leave it to the profesional athletes!

Unfortunately, this is true, this is where general population meets steroid abuse and nothing good can come from it. Leave it to the profesional athletes!

It's completely unregulated at the amatuer level which is what makes it dangerous. At the professional level its use is regulated, primarily for the purpose of injury recover as many anti-inflammatory drugs are steroid-based.

As performance-enhancing goes, the gains can only be sustained by continued use, which any responsible or sports oriented physician would advise against. Unfortunately, greed plays a big part in decisionmaking everywhere. To allow any permissible amounts means science has to be able to measure quantity which isconsiderably more difficult than measuring for presence.

Natural in this day and age is inconclusive. But I believe to allow or promote artificial athletes is detrimental, especially to young hopefulls making decisions about their futures. The athelete industry would change and as a result so would athletes - it already has, but it is still within some limits. Sure there are problems now, and there always will be. But let's keep the circus performers within in the rings and out of professional sports.

....just a couple of more ridiculous statements. As you may have guessed, I am not exactly a fan of 'roids.' The basic principle to me is: anyone willing to dishonour their body by sticking a needle into it for non-medicinal reasons doesn't deserve any accolades or laurels, and they certainly don't deserve a sanctioned stage to perform upon. :D

So call me bias...because I am. :o

Where is the sense of achievement though if you are juiced up to achieve your best????

The aim is to do the best you can, to push yourself to the limit and taking performance enhancing drugs takes that satisfaction away from you.

Sure, there are blokes in my gym who can bench a lot more than me but if they take roids they may as well wear a t-shirt admitting 'i'm a great big fairy who doesnt have the willpower, the guts or the determination to do this without drugs'.

if you are tempted Siam, or you're on them, read a book called 'Brawn' by Stuart McRobert - it will help keep your attitude to weights etc free of toxic <deleted>.

Edited by leftcross