Banking A Sterling Cheque

I want to extend my one year O visa - married and from what I read I can do this with 200-250 K baht in my bank account before July 2004.

Can I pay in a Sterling Cheque to my own Thai Farmers Bank to do this?

I know that normally bank transfer from abroad is advised - But I'm not abroad and as far as I know I have to fill in a form personally in my own Bank in Scotland to transfer funds across.

Anyone know what bank charges I would incurr from the Thai Farmers Bank for say a cheque of 4000 Sterling?

There shouldn't be any charges except 5 baht for stamp thingy. Keep in mind that it will take 30 days. You should not have any problem with the money requirement as you will have proof that the money came from outside Thailand. You need a form from your bank. You can make sure they will give it you before you deposit the check.

I found that when I renew my O visa (marrigae) that they (immigration) just wanted to see my bank statement. Could change who knows. I wrote a check for this years income requirement too.

Found out that mine was to expire in April but they gave me an extra 6 months this time ( sneaky @#@# if they had prior knowlege fees would be increased).

Good luck.

Thanks - Thats good news - I thought they may charge a percentage.

For day to day living I normally just withdraw money via my UK ATM card so this looks a cheaper option as I end up paying about 9 pounds for every 200 I withdraw!

I'll just bank a cheque every few months and use the thai ATM Card!

I banked a U.K. sterling cheque in Krung Thai bank, it took 38 days to clear, they charged me 1800 baht and gave me 2 baht less per pound exchange rate.

This was last year so things might be better now.

I will try Thai Farmers Bank next time, in fact I shall ask tomorrow (Monday), because if the rates are good I shall quit using my ATM card because they charge 1.5% plus a lower exchange rate and I guess I lose about 4% each time. Cheques might be a good idea.

Bangkok Bang charges 10 USD when you present the check and additional 12 USD when the check cleares. Total 32 USD. 

I'm too old for the "new math" but not aware of any way that 10 + 12 = 32 :D

I have not used BBL for a check in many years but believe each branch has the ability to wave charge for 'good customers'.

OK - I went to the TFB and wrote a sterling cheque to myself - they charged me a 400 Baht charge,

I asked if I would be charged more when the cheque clears - They say about 30 days - then answer was no.

So I'll wait and see the outcome - maybe they will take a charge by using a lower exchange rate.

I'll post the outcome once the funds are in my account

• 1 month later...

Just to update this topic.

The cheque was cleared on X'mas Day after being presented at the bank on November the 17th.

The exchange rate that was used, was the actual rate on the 25th of December - 69.59 - so I was most pleased - having gained about 3 baht to the pound since the lodgment.

If they had takena bit longer to clear it I would have happier, as the rate is now over 70 but thats life!!

No other charges were due.

Now I can put my UK cards away safeley and just use the Thai ATM card.

• 3 months later...
Thanks - Thats good news - I thought they may charge a percentage.

For day to day living I normally just withdraw money via my UK ATM card so this looks a cheaper option as I end up paying about 9 pounds for every 200 I withdraw!

I'll just bank a cheque every few months and use the thai ATM Card!

If you go back to the UK sometime, you should try and change your bank account to the Nationwide. - You can then take out the cash without a fee on the UK side. (and no FX spread either).

(Alternatively, their credit card - no FX spread, and 1% charge on cash advances).

Both work in most ATMs here.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry going apposite of topic, anyone can say the best way to send money to UK from a thai Bank. I need to pay a govenment department, they would only process my request if the receive exact ammount stated. No charges made to them, when they get my money. Sorry but its close to the subject?

Edited by pschef

Sorry going apposite of topic, anyone can say the best way to send money to UK from a thai Bank. I need to pay a govenment department, they would only process my request if the receive exact ammount stated. No charges made to them, when they get my money. Sorry but its close to the subject?

How much ?

Is there anyone in Thailand who can withdraw from an ATM using a UK bank card ?

For a larger amount use SWIFT circa £20 charge