Australian Man Arrested Over Thai Protests

webfact

I have never in all my life laughed so loudly and violently over something I read online. Jeff Savage bursting into tears when he realises he is sitting next to and associated with a complete maniac moron is priceless. What makes it all the more funny is that he himself acted like such a maniac and instead of recanting what he said he further implicated himself but now is showing that he is finally starting to realise how retarded he has behaved. I think i peed my pants a little bit I so lost control during my fit of laughter.

I had a similar reaction, without the peeing.

Jeff just caught on, a bit late in the remains of the day,

but Conor is decidely not of this world. Just because you can

string words together into sentences doesn't mean you are sane.

What gets me is the Red Leader's english is so poor

that they let Conor get up on their stage and blather

never realizing he's pretty close to raving mad...

maybe ti didn't matter to them,

or maybe

he was just too much like their friends for them to notice.

Edited by animatic

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You better remove your signature if you have "If's" and "But's" listed in your signature about free thought and free speech.

I was merely pointing at your cruel -virtual- decision to put a Farang in a foreign country behind bars for the rest of his life, being a Farang yourself.

That's why I mentioned:....I'm glad Thailand isn't ruled and judged by Farang Expats....

There wouldn't be enough prisons if you would rule. :)

And, Publicus, try to leave other countries out if you're debating about Thailand affairs. It's a nasty habit of yours.

LaoPo

Are there any countries by name that you'd like to get me to self-censor from my posting? Or any one country in particular? Your determination to impose your own control of my TVF posts has not succeeded nor can it succeed. So quit it while you're still ahead.

It's not very kind of you to call me "cruel." However, if you might think I'd be offended let me assure you I'm not - your views are, well, your views. :D (Refer to the paragraph immediately above.)

The First Amendment is doing very well, thank you. The US Supreme Court long ago established the principle of judicial review and its role as the interpreter and final arbiter of the Constitution so I'll continue to go with the flow on that, as did the late Mr. Justice Douglas and another First Amendment stalwart whom I particularly respect, the late Mr. Justice Hugo L. Black.

Political speech is privileged and protected, criminal behaviours are, well, criminal acts. Burning down Bangkok is not free speech. Handing out firebombs and telling people to torch the place to bring down the government is not free speech. Shouting "REVOLUTION !" over a mobile phone while an Asean conference in Pattaya is being assaulted is not free speech.

It's free speech squared to criticize censorship by a govenment that PROHIBITS access to Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or to global tv such as UBC. You know which country I'm speaking of LaoPo. Youknow....the PRChina.

Australian 'red shirt' defies court

BEN DOHERTY, BANGKOK

ARRESTED Australian ''red-shirt'' protester Conor Purcell has refused to accept the authority of the Thai legal system, berating a judge in a Bangkok court.

Dressed in orange prison-issue shirt and shorts, barefoot and shackled in leg-irons, a furious Mr Purcell was led into Pathumwan Municipal Court in the Thai capital yesterday, protesting that he was being unlawfully held.

Visibly angry at his detention, Mr Purcell, a former army reserve soldier, refused to stand when told and then yelled at the judge that he would not accept the court's right to try him.

"Nobody in this country has authority over me."

He brushed aside a representative from the Australian embassy who was asking him to be quiet, and continued his tirade, shaking and pointing at the judge.

Mr Purcell told the court he wanted to see a doctor, claiming he'd been beaten in prison.

Jeff Savage, a British man also arrested for his role in the red-shirts' protest in central Bangkok, and sitting next to Mr Purcell in court, burst into tears.

story continues: http://www.theage.com.au/national/australi...00527-whoq.html

-- 2010-05-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Here is something I don't get. The Australian guy was arrested for...
Mr Purcell, 30, was arrested under the emergency decree used to end almost the protests in Bangkok.

Right, for violating the emergency decree. So how come the 3,000+ red shirt protesters were not arrested as well? Instead they were given free bus rides back home. Now, I understand that he had no business protesting in a country where he's only a guest ...but isn't that a little funny?

Maybr th over 3000 did not get up on stage and prevoke illegal action

You're absolutely right, but note that he was arrested for violating the emergency decree, not for standing on stage and making speeches. He's an idiot alright, but I doubt this will be positive news for Thailand if it gets into the world press. It'll end up showing that while 3,000+ people also violated the emergency decree, they were given free bus rides ...and the foreigner ended up being arrested. They should have arrested him on another charge, not one under which they let 3,000+ other people walk away from without being charged. It's another one of those things that will come back to bite Thailand in the rear. Especially the tourism sector.

According to the paper, Savage has been charged but Purcell has yet to be charged and is being detained. The SoE allows for his continued detention but it must be approved by a court every 7 days.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/australi...00527-whoq.html

Charging them with the lesser crime of violating the SoE decree (after foreigners were warned not to participate) seems a bit nicer than charging him with inciting violence (which might carry a terrorism charge as well)

I doubt tourists need to be warned about donning a red shirt and joining an illegal violent rally and calling for the overthrow of a governent while on holiday :)

Jeff Savage, a British man also arrested for his role in the red-shirts' protest in central Bangkok, and sitting next to Mr Purcell in court, burst into tears.

Hilarious, what happened to Mr Steroid? :)

This guy whilst obviously an idiot doesnt deserve a prison sentence for protesting about what in any civilied country would be classed as a govt that came to power in the most suspect of ways

Banning of electoral cheats and formation of coalition governments is 'suspect' ? :D

This guy whilst obviously an idiot doesnt deserve a prison sentence for protesting about what in any civilied country would be classed as a govt that came to power in the most suspect of ways.

I seem to remember when this law about foreigners protesting was introduced by this totalitarian govt there were mass complaints on here, why the change of heart by so many?

Ps no yellow in similar circumstances has gone to prison. (ie him in the yellow rally a few years ago.)

In most countries you'd have to inform the police about a planned protest and get permission.

In the UK you mean, with its totalitarian Nuliebour laws on protest .... i take it you'd have banned the miners strike and put them all in prison as they didnt have permit ... or all the poll tax protesters? come on a permit to protest is totalitarian and nothing else.

A demonstration can be carried out without permit. This however was an occupation and came under SOE.

You're absolutely right, but note that he was arrested for violating the emergency decree, not for standing on stage and making speeches. He's an idiot alright, but I doubt this will be positive news for Thailand if it gets into the world press. It'll end up showing that while 3,000+ people also violated the emergency decree, they were given free bus rides ...and the foreigner ended up being arrested. They should have arrested him on another charge, not one under which they let 3,000+ other people walk away from without being charged. It's another one of those things that will come back to bite Thailand in the rear. Especially the tourism sector.

I doubt this particular Australian will effect the tourist sector, especially after the whole world could read (or see?) how he behaved in front of the judge. Tourists are concerned about other things, their safety for instance. Police and army around is normally felt as reassuring :)

Edited by rubl

You better remove your signature if you have "If's" and "But's" listed in your signature about free thought and free speech.

I was merely pointing at your cruel -virtual- decision to put a Farang in a foreign country behind bars for the rest of his life, being a Farang yourself.

That's why I mentioned:....I'm glad Thailand isn't ruled and judged by Farang Expats....

There wouldn't be enough prisons if you would rule. :D

And, Publicus, try to leave other countries out if you're debating about Thailand affairs. It's a nasty habit of yours.

LaoPo

Are there any countries by name that you'd like to get me to self-censor from my posting? Or any one country in particular? Your determination to impose your own control of my TVF posts has not succeeded nor can it succeed. So quit it while you're still ahead.

It's not very kind of you to call me "cruel." However, if you might think I'd be offended let me assure you I'm not - your views are, well, your views. :D (Refer to the paragraph immediately above.)

The First Amendment is doing very well, thank you. The US Supreme Court long ago established the principle of judicial review and its role as the interpreter and final arbiter of the Constitution so I'll continue to go with the flow on that, as did the late Mr. Justice Douglas and another First Amendment stalwart whom I particularly respect, the late Mr. Justice Hugo L. Black.

Political speech is privileged and protected, criminal behaviours are, well, criminal acts. Burning down Bangkok is not free speech. Handing out firebombs and telling people to torch the place to bring down the government is not free speech. Shouting "REVOLUTION !" over a mobile phone while an Asean conference in Pattaya is being assaulted is not free speech.

It's free speech squared to criticize censorship by a govenment that PROHIBITS access to Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or to global tv such as UBC. You know which country I'm speaking of LaoPo. Youknow....the PRChina.

"The First Amendment.....the US Supreme Court.........the late Mr. Justice Douglas..........late Mr. Justice Hugo L. Black......."

All Thailand related in this case I suppose, Mr Farang Judge Publicus ? :)

I'm -still- glad Thailand isn't ruled and judged by Farang Expats..... like you.

Buddha Forbid.

LaoPo

Perhaps Mr Purcell is noticing the effects of sudden and complete withdrawal of steroids. Or, if he had been on them for a while, this might be classed as normal behavior for him. That is, of course, if he was truthful in saying to the camera, while in Thailand, that he was on steroids (implying that he was on them in a non-medical sense).

As far as being charged with a violation of SOE by the foreigners, that might only be the first charge. They could then be held on remand while the appropriate authorities gathered enough evidence for the prosecutor to charge him with - whatever they come up with.

Either the Aussie chap needs a psych eval, or he's doing a pretty good imitation of needing one, possibly in the hopes of a swift trial and deportation.

I have never in all my life laughed so loudly and violently over something I read online. Jeff Savage bursting into tears when he realises he is sitting next to and associated with a complete maniac moron is priceless. What makes it all the more funny is that he himself acted like such a maniac and instead of recanting what he said he further implicated himself but now is showing that he is finally starting to realise how retarded he has behaved. I think i peed my pants a little bit I so lost control during my fit of laughter.

He burst into tears because he'd just learned he wasn't the leader of the reds. :)

Another person by the name of Manned-Rake (Shopping Withdrawal: Abhisit Declares State of Emergency) who should be investigated for inciting and actually by his own admission taking part in acts of violence.

Originally Posted by manned-rake I've been down there every couple of days for the duration basically. Ridden in rallies with them, shouted "Abhisit Get Out" a few times, lam vonged a bit with the ladies, been down with my wife a few times, daughter won't go as she's a bit, shall we say, "jaundiced". My wife has a good friend who is a stalwart Red, so I get to hear most of the rumors that circulate amongst the rank and file, get regular updates on what people think of what the leaders are saying and apparently doing. I'll probably go down later today or tomorrow. "Fight with the Reds"? I'm not sure how you mean that. I took part in driving off a fatfuc_k Ozzie who was down there a few days ago with a sign he'd made saying "You silly, stupid people: GO HOME". Had push come to shove, rather than him waddling off at speed when a Thai woman and I encouraged people to throw stones at the cun_t, I'd've gladly elbowed him in his fat face. When are you going down to let them know how you feel about how they should be bulldozed out?

This Manned-Rake poster who posts on a local forum is also involved with unlawful activities, he should be tracked down and taken to court for inciting violence contrary to the emergency laws in place at the time.Yet anothe foreign radical trying to stir up discontent.

Edited by siampolee

Both these naughty lads, Geoffrey and Connor, now languishing in the "depths of the cockroach infested" :) Thai Remand Centre have been in the Kingdom for some time. During this period,they have obviously learned nothing about Thai culture judging from their behaviour and comments during detention and in court.

They must be aware that there are certain rules that the foreigner is obliged to obey. This is pointed out, and I believe one acknowledges this, at the time of visa extension.

Regardless of how badly they behaved towards their host country on the videos, they should be required to spend some time ( a few months,maybe a year) in the company of other naughty Thais in order to see the error of their ways.

Then, make them pay for their ticket home and stamp their passports "Banned from the Kingdom of Thailand for ever". :D

Another person by the name of Manned-Rake (Shopping Withdrawal: Abhisit Declares State of Emergency) who should be investigated for inciting and actually by his own admission taking part in acts of violence.

^^^^

I'm sure the Thai authorities are delighted with so many Farang Deputy Sheriffs around.

LaoPo

conorpurcell1-420x0.jpg

" Dressed in orange prison-issue shirt and shorts, barefoot and shackled in leg-irons, a furious Mr Purcell was led in to Pathumwan Municipal Court in Bangkok yesterday, protesting that he was being unlawfully held.

Visibly angry at his detention, Mr Purcell, 29, a former soldier, refused to stand when told and then yelled at the judge that he would not accept the court's right to try him. ''Nobody in this country has authority over me,'' he said.

He brushed aside a representative from the Australian embassy who was asking him to be quiet and continued his tirade, shaking and pointing at the judge. ''I'm not under Thai law. I'm only obeying international law. I'm head of the red gang,'' he yelled.

Jeff Savage, a British man also arrested for his role in the protest, sitting next to Mr Purcell in court, burst into tears." :)

source: .Sydney Morning Herald.

Not a smart move.

In Thailand, if you just admit to everything the court say (even if it is not true), you get 50% discount for your sin.

Else you get the full treatment.

The guy must be on som havy stuff!

Yeah. Sheep dip carries quite a punch.

Maybe we can call this loony a 'wallaby wannabe'.

^^^^

I'm sure the Thai authorities are delighted with so many Farang Deputy Sheriffs around.

LaoPo

:) yes I am sure is IS awful having foreigners that live in Thailand that actually care! Then again we are IN THAILAND :D

You're the guy who's hopping around and about concerning my TV signature - and still hopping. The energizer Bunny hopping.

I'm glad you're -still- glad LaoPo. Try to stay that way.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, I doubt the arrest of these farang or holding one (maybe yet more) in detention is going to impact tourism. Foreign media aren't much interested now with N-S Korea, the BP oil spill, Europe going bust etc etc, but if a slow news day ever happens again the farangs being charged here might get some attention, but I doubt it. There isn't any mass roundup of falhang nor are we siezing or shooting. Neither are the tourists.

:)I am the hopping guy? :D

In just one sentence you manage to drag N-S Korea into the discussion, the BP Oil spill and Europe going bust

You forgot to mention that the US is already bust since many years with more than 60% of the states bankrupt and the rest not far off. :D

Hop on.

LaoPo

Publicus might just have said "For most foreigners this is totally irrelevant", probably better. Saying he dragged other conflicts and situations into this discussion is incorrect, please re-read his sentence :D

Edited by rubl

You're the guy who's hopping around and about concerning my TV signature - and still hopping. The energizer Bunny hopping.

Meanwhile, back at the farm, I doubt the arrest of these farang or holding one (maybe yet more) in detention is going to impact tourism. Foreign media aren't much interested now with N-S Korea, the BP oil spill, Europe going bust etc etc, but if a slow news day ever happens again the farangs being charged here might get some attention, but I doubt it. There isn't any mass roundup of falhang nor are we siezing or shooting. Neither are the tourists.

In just one sentence you manage to drag N-S Korea into the discussion, the BP Oil spill and Europe going bust

You forgot to mention that the US is already bust since many years with more than 60% of the states bankrupt and the rest not far off. :D

Hop on.

LaoPo

Publicus might just have said "For most foreigners this is totally irrelevant", probably better. Saying he dragged other conflicts and situations into this discussion is incorrect, please re-read his sentence :D

rubi It's a private feud held in public.

Publicus got the better of Laopo so many times in threads,

now Lp can't let a post of Pub's go without trying to tear it apart.

Particularly if any mention is made of his beloved PRC.

This act has grown most tiresome at this point. Try and ignore it.

Edited by animatic

I shall remind several posters to keep the personal comments about one another out of the thread. The cheerleading squad can keep his opinion to himself as well.

Unless of course, you are seeking a holiday, in which case feel free to continue.

As someone who leans toward the red side of the spectrum, I fail to understand these two. As close as I got to the rally was when I made a wrong turn and saw a blocked off area about a 1/2 kilometer away. The extent of my support for them was to open my car window when they were headed toward one of their mobile rallies and wave at them.

The government made it clear that foreigners weren't permitted to attend the rallies and there would be consequences. Like it or not, it is the gov't and what they say is law.

Essentially these guys didn't help the red cause. They are now a convenient scapegoat and diversion from more important tasks.

The Red sdhirt leaders are enjoying themselves in a holiday camp. The main s**t -stirring terrorist Jatuporn is planning to lead the "Puke Thai" party in a censure debate, along with (Pued did it)Chalerm. Apparently the red leaders and anyone arrested under the SOE, cannot be kept in a prison. Why the leg irons and prison remand for the two foreigners and most of the lowly red shirts, that have been arrested. They may be idiots but, I just wish the red shirt leaders were receiving the same treatment or worse. No doubt after their 21 days of recuperation, in their holiday chalet, they will all be out on bail. Please can someone explain - other than saying " Amazing Thailand "

Jatuporn is a member of parliament and as long as he is he enjoys amnesty from prosecution. I DO believe he has been charged, so when he is no longer an MP supposed ly his prosecution would take place. I believe there is a process whereby he can be impeached as an MP, but I am not familiar with the details or if the government intends to use it.

Sure we care, Right is Right . You do wrong you pay the price anywhere you are. They should have stayed out of Thailand business . They was a guest in Thailand.

He actually should have just kept his actions with in the laws of Thailand. Other than that he is entitled to express his opinions. Perhaps you should follow your own advice if you really believe what you say. Just stay out of it. Obviously you feel that you are above your own comments.

Why would any foreigner that feels we should just stay out of it feel entitled to make posts about anything here?

You forgot to mention that the US is already bust since many years with more than 60% of the states bankrupt and the rest not far off.

But still doing waayy better than Europe... :)

Because it's owned by China ... :D

Here is something I don't get. The Australian guy was arrested for...
Mr Purcell, 30, was arrested under the emergency decree used to end almost the protests in Bangkok.

Right, for violating the emergency decree. So how come the 3,000+ red shirt protesters were not arrested as well? Instead they were given free bus rides back home. Now, I understand that he had no business protesting in a country where he's only a guest ...but isn't that a little funny?

I think it may be because Mr. Purcell got up on the stage an fired people up - I doubt all of the protesters got up on stage ... I understand that lots of Thais have also been arrested.

I get the impression that if Mr. Purcell in Australia were arrested by police there for any reason, he'd still be hollering that this country (Australia) has no laws over him or some such same or similar statement. After all, what else would an 'international citizen' say in any country whether it's in his passport issuing country or his passport receiving country?

Of course, as I'd mentioned previously at this thread, as there isn't any international authority to declare individuals officially to be 'international citizens" who thereby are rightfully above, immune, the laws of any given nation state, Purcell could have gone to a certain place on Khao San Road to obtain such a certificate. I'm sure Thai authorities would be duly impressed, as it's likely many of the authorities themselves have similar 'documents'. :)  

I get the impression that if Mr. Purcell in Australia were arrested by police there for any reason, he'd still be hollering that this country (Australia) has no laws over him or some such same or similar statement. After all, what else would an 'international citizen' say in any country whether it's in his passport issuing country or his passport receiving country?

Mr. Purcell is indeed fortunate that he had a very lenient Judge at that hearing. I personally know or have known over a dozen Judges in my lifetime, and without exception all of them would have immediately declared him to be in "Contempt of Court" and sent him away for 6 months. No appeal is possible, no early release, just serve every day....Remember what happened to Pojiman's attorney group when they tried to bribe the judge...they all went to jail for 6 months within the hour.

The bottom line is, he indeed needs an attitude adjustment, and there are some Thai jails that can do a pretty good job of that. :)

Hop on.

LaoPo

rubi It's a private feud held in public.

Publicus got the better of Laopo so many times in threads,

now Lp can't let a post of Pub's go without trying to tear it apart.

Particularly if any mention is made of his beloved PRC.

This act has grown most tiresome at this point. Try and ignore it.

Publicus most certainly didn't get the better of Lao Po. This is just the usual back slapping by TV's daftest team of propagandists. And it's obvious to anyone with a pair of honest eyes that Lao Po is a genuine poster who is trying to look at the bigger picture, and that Publicus is a propagandist who just wants to ram his propaganda down TV readers' throats.

Aussie/UK Thug - Asia's biggest losers ?

I can't believe nor comprehend that this Aussie and the Numpty Jeff Savage, think they can get involved in Thai Politics having the audacity to even think their views will be recognised World wide getting them Fame and fortune.

I'm from the UK and cringed at the video of Savage speaking about Central World and his intentions.

These sort of parasites are loners, pent on getting acknowledgement from observers 'don't realise' they will get discovered but unfortunately/fortunately by the 'Thai authorities that be' and will be well rewarded for their admirable merits once they are incarcerated in Bang Kwang.

Once inside, will have many new admirers giving them their just desserts on a daily basis, passed around by all and sundry as the new girl on the block, for a course of meaty lethal injections, to take their mind off thoughts of fame.

It gives us Farangs a bad name, although people shouldn't assume that these degenerates are in any shape form or fashion, representing our countries.

Regards

Tommybkk

Glad They got this guy, He should be put in the darwin awards. Someone that stupid should be taken out of the gene pool!

He didnt realize that win or lose for the Red shirts, He personally was going to lose.

Git

Greg

Edited by tommyuk