Thai Cabinet Extends Curfew 4 Days, Shortens Hours

webfact

"The Cabinet Tuesday resolved to extend curfew in Bangkok and 23 other provinces from Tuesday to Friday."

Now that curfew is from midnight to 4am, does this mean the curfew ends at 4am of 28th or 29th morning?

I'm confused here.

Thank you.

Hi Jay,

They increased the curfew by 4 days, so including today that would mean that the curfew would end at 4:00AM Saturday, the 29th of May. On the other hand, they might still extend it further.

The first post above is really splitting hairs! Does it really matter? Were you planning on running naked around town at one a.m.?

Yeah..sorry you're pulling your hair on my post, snaggletooth :) But my non-thai speaking boss would like to know when it ends. Thanks :D

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if in some odd way this curfew is a form of retaliation toward the Isaan population who in the main would b viewed as Red Shirts. When you think about it in an X-Files type conspiracy way, being all Isaan are poor, and most of the ladies working bar jobs at night come from Isaan, who are the main losers in this curfew? See what i mean?

That's what I was thinking.... helps turn the (BKK) people even more aginst the reds.

If the rift between the two areas grows much more, this may become a BKK- vs. 'The North' battle in the near future. I really hope not.

There are more comments on this thread against the government for having the curfew than the reds for causing it, which makes me think that it isn't just a political decision.

Edited by whybother

No curfew in Pattaya!

If it's going to be meaningful then it should be nation wide ... otherwise any trouble makers can just go to the location where there is no curfew ... so it's not really a curfew!

Are you going to lend them the money to go to another province to cause trouble, for sure as hel_l most can't leave their hometowns as they don't have 2 baht to rub together!

Seems a bit silly to have a curfew for 4 hours a day! :)

What could easily happen next is that someone comes up with the stupid idea of having a permanent curfew using the argument that crime was reduced, less accidents happened, less shootings happened etc. and another nail in the coffin is struck.

Well 4 hours is better than 8 or 12 hours.

Maybe it helps them to keep some of the Reds of the streets and to catch them if they are thinking of doing terrorist stuff.

Pity they didn't do it when the yellows were doing their terrorist stuff against the ELECTED government.

I wonder if in some odd way this curfew is a form of retaliation toward the Isaan population who in the main would b viewed as Red Shirts. When you think about it in an X-Files type conspiracy way, being all Isaan are poor, and most of the ladies working bar jobs at night come from Isaan, who are the main losers in this curfew? See what i mean?

Warped! How about it's time of the day when people can move around the city relatively unnoticed and therefore cause havoc or damage without being seen. And as people sleep it could have a devstating effect.

Good on you Abhisit. I for one feel this is a good thing. It won't last for ever but if there are more problems once the curfew is over it will return. I am sure that any of you posters who live in Bangkok can feel just how much this is working at the moment?

And for those of you who can't stand it because it puts a dent in your drinking and letching schedules, go to Pattaya, as we keep being told, there's no curfew there and it'll all be over here soon anyway.

No curfew in Pattaya!

If it's going to be meaningful then it should be nation wide ... otherwise any trouble makers can just go to the location where there is no curfew ... so it's not really a curfew!

Even the trouble makers are probably asleep between 12 and 4! Probably a useless exercise. I tend to agree with an earlier post--the innocent people are getting the worst of both ends of this.

No curfew in Pattaya!

Even the trouble makers are probably asleep between 12 and 4! Probably a useless exercise. I tend to agree with an earlier post--the innocent people are getting the worst of both ends of this.

Personaly, being one of the innocent people, i feel it is a good thing. Those directly affected by the curfew, in a business sense, will be subsidised by the government. No, bar girls probably won't be, but there extra-curricular activities are illegal anyway. Those affected because the bars are closed earlier need help.

Maybe it helps them to keep some of the Reds of the streets and to catch them if they are thinking of doing terrorist stuff.

Pity they didn't do it when the yellows were doing their terrorist stuff against the ELECTED government.

Maybe you should complain to the elected government that was in power at the time, not the currently elected government.

Edited by whybother

My gf lives in BKK and she went to 7 11 at 10pm when the curfew was from 8pm to 6am and she said it was open as normal, She doesn't live in the city centre but still you would think a curfew is a curfew and they would close 7 11 in those hours. So it seems that people are just ignoring it anyways

My gf lives in BKK and she went to 7 11 at 10pm when the curfew was from 8pm to 6am and she said it was open as normal, She doesn't live in the city centre but still you would think a curfew is a curfew and they would close 7 11 in those hours. So it seems that people are just ignoring it anyways

What day was it?

And that was the time when you got your stroke, I guess, losing your ability understand things. :)

What day was it?

Last Thursday which was 20th

Warped! How about it's time of the day when people can move around the city relatively unnoticed and therefore cause havoc or damage without being seen. And as people sleep it could have a devstating effect.

Good on you Abhisit. I for one feel this is a good thing. It won't last for ever but if there are more problems once the curfew is over it will return. I am sure that any of you posters who live in Bangkok can feel just how much this is working at the moment?

And for those of you who can't stand it because it puts a dent in your drinking and letching schedules, go to Pattaya, as we keep being told, there's no curfew there and it'll all be over here soon anyway.

Wow, yeah. The government is getting back at the Isaan folk by hamstringing the bar girls. That you even wrote that reflects the level of your intellect.

Can anyone say "The beginning of a police state?"

Cant see why that should happen.

Just sensible containment by the Government of what could possibly flair up again,its too soon for a back to normal situation,after the terrible events of the past 2 months.

Not found all murdered bodies to steal ??

Oh sorry, too many yellow shirted farangs here...

Be happy, kids, it is NOT over..

Being new poster here, what would you know about who is what or not? Oh, I almost forgot, an idiot will never learn.

Interestingly the person you are calling an idiot was a member more than two years before you joined :):D:D

It would be advisable not to be yellow shirt nor redshirt.

Please be so wise to refrain from meddling in the politics of this country.

You are a guest, behave like a guest.

If you are hoping for more trouble.do remember there lots of people in this country that want to live.

And not made unwelcome because of the antics of certain immature figures who revel in troubles.

Do emember that in trouble there will only be loosers.

In the long and in the short run mostly poor people suffer very much more as rich people.

at first the Government didn't do anything .. n let the buildings burn n ppl to gather as mobs .... (which made the ordinary ppl life miserable)

now as an over reaction .. they are putting curfews to enhance the miseries ....

THANK YOU GOVERNMENT >. :S

The cerfew will keep the Lady Boys off the streets for a few hours and give the police a chance to get ready for the next days business deals.

Oh dear!

How sad

Never mind

Shut up!!!!!!

Actually, because of the redshirted troubles, incoming tourists dropped with 10,000-12,000 per day

Now, who would be the loosers?

Right, the people the redshirts were campaigning for, allegedly.

Or was it for changing the charter, and reimbursing some money.

Anyway, why is it that everywhere in the world groups allegedly fighting for the betterment of the common people always seem to make it much worse for those people.

Your IP is logged, as are your terrorist threats. Would one of the moderators please forward this to the CRES?

Thanks in advance.

Don't be such an idiot. Of course its not over, evreything will start to gather steam again and it will happen again. How many coups have there been in the last 60 years?? 16 or 17?? can't quite remember.. If you know your Thai history you will know that there is only a coup when there is a popular government in power.. (popular with the majority of the country that is).

It won't happen now though because the 'correct' people are in the government.

This is how things will go until Thailand gets true democracy (ie. you can say what you want about certain things without fear of prison):

Government elected by the majority of Thai people = Military Coup

Government put in place by the elite =Peoples Uprising

Remember if you are in Thailand, everything you will hear about Thaksin is bad. Everything you will hear about the Government is good.

Thaksin is no angel but you're a fool to believe everything you hear or read in Thailand.

Now you want to log my IP?? I'm running it through two proxys which makes it untraceable u d***

If you live in Thailand using a proxy is the only way to know what is really going on because your precious government has blocked so many websites.

Fools

Do you think that bars, restaurants and businesses will stay open later? When the curfew was 9p.m. many closed at 7p.m. so the staff could get home, without informing customers in advance that they would close a few hours before curfew.

Now you want to log my IP?? I'm running it through two proxys which makes it untraceable u d***

If you live in Thailand using a proxy is the only way to know what is really going on because your precious government has blocked so many websites.

Fools

If you really think a couple of proxies will protect you, you are very foolish.

Regards