Us To Cnx Larger Parcel Shipping Options

SomchaiCNX

Found out that the US postal service stopped their Sea Mail service back in 2007.

What other options are available now, if you don't want to use the rip off guys at FedEx and DHL?

The service was not that bad, cheap if you were not in a hurry and the import duty was reasonable (unlike the ones at FedEx and DHL).

You still can send Sea mail parcels up to 20 kg from every Thai post office to the States and the rest of the world that's not the problem.

Thanks,

I sent 3 large parcels through UPS supply chain solutions. It wasn't cheap. I paid for door to door service that included UPS getting the customs clearance and they were suppose to charge me on this side for the duties, taxes and other fees. It arrived at the Chiang Mai airport. UPS at that point washed their hands of the whole thing. Very poor service from UPS Chiang Mai. I had to get a customs agent from the second floor of the air cargo building to clear it. They were great. Cost about 5000 baht.

So I'm not saying don't use UPS because I don't think there is anyone else but just get the cheap, you pick it up at the airport, service. Get an agent to clear it for you.

Other than that it is USPS. They will asses the duties and charge you at the PO here.

Thanks Gotlost.

Just got a reply back.

Package is to large for USPS (over 48")

The manufacture gets 45 % of FedEx (don't know what it is in $) but than I still have to deal with these idiots on this part of the world.

He suggests me to open a United air freight account but I have no experience with that.

Thanks Gotlost.

Just got a reply back.

The manufacture gets 45 % of FedEx (don't know what it is in $) but than I still have to deal with these idiots on this part of the world.

He suggests me to open a United air freight account but I have no experience with that.

Yes I have used United but that was years ago. Go to UAL web and find out that mite be an option they are connected with Thai Air.

Edited by gotlost

Thanks Gotlost.

Just got a reply back.

I have had things shipped via Thai Air Cargo directly from LAX. I had it delivered there and they sent it through to Chiang Mai. That time I had a customs agent that hangs in the parking lot at the air cargo office clear it for me. Not as good as going up stairs to the second floor.

It is a little difficult to just ship through Thai Air because now you have to register as a known shipper. It's a good way to ship.

Consider shipping your goods as a series of smaller packages thru the USPS Global Priority mail system. There is a flat rate, something like $50 for a 12-in x 12-in x 6-in box. They have another box size available as well. Weight doesn't matter -- so it's a great way to ship books and paperwork. USPS supplies the boxes. We used something like 50 global priority mail boxes to get our stuff here and they all arrived directly to our hotel with no intervention from customs. The only charge was what we paid USPS back in the States when we sent the boxes.

We also shipped a pallet with several boxes -- total weight less than 100 kilograms (about 220 pounds) of other stuff that was either too big or too fragile to send via the USPS global priority mail boxes. We had a quite a circus trying to get that pallet out of customs at the airport and ended up hiring a Thai consultant to deal with the authorities. The fees on this end cost us something like $400 for goods we should have gotten in duty-free because they were our personal household goods and we were here during the first 6 months of new retirement visas.

Thanks Gotlost.

Just got a reply back.

Which idiots are you referring to?

Thanks for the advice folks.

@ Nancy, thanks for the tip however in this case 01 part will still be to long.

With the parcels that arrived by post in the past it went fine each time and if taxed it was reasonable.

@ Blinky Bill, don't take it personal :)

The people from FedEx (and DHL) off course. Each time I had to deal with them I run in some kind of problem. Topics enough on their lack of "door to door" service in Thailand.

I (they) tried it through their Australian dealer but he's not interested in Shipping it.

May be I could try one shipment (with one item only) with FedEx and see how they handle it this time.

But I don't trust them anymore.

I'm about to have some software discs mailed to me here from the U.S., a suite of programs worth about $600. From reading this thread, I'm sensing that USPS may be the smartest route? Either way, if I just have to pay 7% VAT plus 200 baht, I'd be thrilled. If they tried to charge more, I'd be depressed.

I suppose I could send them in a secure way but claim they have no value and just take the risk of being told differently... ?

My limited experience in C.Mai has been paperwork Fed-ex'd to me here, with no problem whatsoever.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

First, some information one cannot find anywhere online:

The phone number for FedEx Chiang Mai (main office) is

053-305-212 or 053-305-213

There, now it's on the web.

Second, I wanted to report my recent experience in dealing with FedEx.

I had some software discs sent to me here. I didn't want to low-ball the value since at face value it costs approx. $1,700, and there wasn't any easy way to make a backup or copy (therefore, they were irreplaceable). However, this was an upgrade to an upgrade, so I declared the value at $159. Additionally, the package had a pair of new sandals which I stated were $20 in value.

Here's how they tallied the value to get the final charge of 631 Baht, paid by me at the time of delivery.

$179 = total package value = 5,820 Baht (32.51 Baht = $1)

Insurance, 1% = 58 Baht

Freight = 297 Baht

1. first charge: 185 Baht

(first charge is an import duty of 3% of the above subtotal (6,175 Baht))

2. second charge: 446 Baht

(7% of new subtotal (6,360 Baht) for VAT)

In other words, charges are added sequentially, first 3%, then 7%.

FedEx was as professional here as they are almost anywhere else. They had been trying to deliver to me for a few days, but unfortunately they left no note in the main office of my building, nor did they successfully call my mobile. That said, when I called the office they were polite, competent, and spoke quite decent English, so it all worked out well. The driver knew our building, so there was no need to explain driving directions, which was helpful.

Cheers.