Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

SRTET has finally, finally updated the timetables but on a new website! (Did someone forget to pay for the previous http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/???)

The new website is http://srtet.co.th/en/index.html and all current timetables are posted there as I checked with timetables at the station yest whilst at the airport. eg

Cityline: Airport to Phaya Thai, http://srtet.co.th/en/11_time_table/city_svb-pth_weekday.html

Express Airport to Makkasan,http://srtet.co.th/en/11_time_table/express_svb-mks.html

Express Airport to Phaya Thai, http://srtet.co.th/en/11_time_table/express_svb-pth.html

The really silly thing with the Express timings is that from the Airport even with a 60 min headway they both within 5 mins of each other. Makkasan departs at 25 past the hour then PT at 30 past. That is really stupid as it would at least make more sense to have one on the hour and one at 30. I don't get the reasoning for that?

I haven't seen the most recent pax figures for the Express but they would have to be back in the few hundred a day range!

Also, timing wise the Cityline is running according to the timetable as I timed a 28 min trip yest.

I was shocked on my recent trip to Swampy from Phyathai on the Airport Link to find that express trains now only run one every hour?!?! I've never thought about a "schedule" for those trains and I've always just shown up whenever, and I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a train...have I always just been "lucky" in the past, or is this a recent change? I was absent from Thailand from January to May.

srtet.co.th has been around for nearly one year so not sure how new it is? I think the timetables there were updated in January of this year.

The timetables were not updated as of April on this site, I hadn't checked since then. Yes this site has been around for 8-9 months or so but the previous site had existed since 2009 so it didn't make sense not to continue it particularly given the name recognition factor.

Rolling stock issue - an update

The previously mentioned order for 7 new sets of 4 car rolling stock (5.2billion baht budget approved over a year ago) is still in limbo with MOF & MOT telling the SRT that cheaper versions can be purchased from either China or Spain rather than the Siemens rolling stock. (This is part of a wider struggle to reorganise the ARL)

The appreciation of the baht has resulted in the 5.2b purchase price decreasing to 4.8b baht. Siemens can deliver in 18 months once the order is placed but others would take up to 2 years. Also, if non Siemens rolling stock is ordered an expensive change of the signalling system would be required.

The original plan was to place order last year given the urgent need for more rolling stock. Also, when each current set reaches 1 million kms - which is expected during 2014 - it will require a major maintenance overhaul which will keep it out of service for many weeks.

Currently, 1 Express train is out of service and pax rates are approaching 55k on some busy days. Daily ave is now consistently over 50k.

In many respects the ARL is too successful even for all of the management and operation problems it has. A lack of cohesive, expeditious decision making within govt agencies is meaning that procuring new rolling stock is painfully slow and pax will suffer longer than they should.

Yet that seems to be the BKK way when ones looks at the BTS history on the issue and the fact that BMCL still does not have any new rolling stock for the MRT. The core reason as I have stated many a time is the seperated, private concession model with heavy indebted operators being unable to purchase rolling stock in time to meet growing pax demand. This will not change in the future as the model is flawed.

The pending rolling stock order, and the ancillary income that can will generate, seems to be the primary reason for the struggle between Khun Prapat (SRT) and Khun Phirakan (SRTET). Both have probably already built an extra room to house the cash. wink.png Sharing the booty (~ 750 million baht) doesn't seem like an option.

Edited by lomatopo

^ I suspect that Prapat, being a PT man, has already built a mansion in anticipation of what can be siphoned with the HSR line contracts!!

But we would need some dumb thieves to hit some selected houses to really find out how many rooms are full of 100m+ in cash from metro/public works contracts!

^ I suspect that Prapat, being a PT man, has already built a mansion in anticipation of what can be siphoned with the HSR line contracts!!

But we would need some dumb thieves to hit some selected houses to really find out how many rooms are full of 100m+ in cash from metro/public works contracts!

Probably true, but the same is also on the other side of the politcal divide.

• 2 weeks later...

I know a few people have mentioned this issue previously but the SRTET really have to address the platform crowding at Phaya Thai. The platform is so narrow that there is not enough room for people who are waiting, then once a train arrives there is no way for people to exit the train and get to one of the stairways. Dwell times and schedules are certainly being affected, and it is extremely dangerous. I understand that that the poor station/platform design is the limiting factor, but they really need to look for new ways to queue people waiting on the platform so that those on the train can get off.

^

The stations were designed to look nice from the outdude but very little thought was put into the practicalities of how people are actually going to use them.

My personal favourite part is where you have to go through a little chicane in order to get to the staircase due to a huge pillar taking up most of the platform. The new escalators should help a lot but as the stations are so poorly designed they are never going to be as efficient as the BTS.

Does anyone know who the idiot(s) who designed the stations is?

^

Indeed, following the logic of the station design you would expect there to be two doors - one either end of the train.

Or they could use similar design to the MRT and BTS carriages and have 4 doors to each carriage. Spread the people out a bit.

Or if they could drop the passengers on one platform then change tracks and pick up on the other platform like the bts trains do at national stadium.

I know there's no cross over point beyond the station but there's one just before it. A bit fiddly but it could be done.

Or if they could drop the passengers on one platform then change tracks and pick up on the other platform like the bts trains do at national stadium.

I know there's no cross over point beyond the station but there's one just before it. A bit fiddly but it could be done.

Maybe they could keep people down below until everyone gets off, then let them go up.

^

Alternatively they could have has the same design as Siam BTS, where the platform is in the middle and the tracks on the edge.

To do that they would need to rebuild the tracks and the station.

Also remember that this isn't just an issue at Phaya Thai station. It's a problem at all of them (except maybe Makkasan and the airport).

The ARL-MRT ped link looks all but completed apart from some finishing touches, ie. some painting was being completed yesterday am when I interchanged between both stations.

I suspect that it will open sometime this week?

The contractor only took twice as long as the contract period specified....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Still applying finishing touches.....

2ylvhj6.jpg

2iapjt2.jpg

Of course after nearly US$3m was spent, and being 5 months late, one should not be surprised to find a small 3inch gap between both the MRT roof & the ARL link roof! In the event of heavy rain, a little bit of water never goes astray to remind you that you are in BKK.....

x6hmvk.jpg
(MRT entrance roof above & ARL link roof below)
These pics were taken last Thurs. It looks as though it could be days from opening but based on the pace that might be weeks....perhaps the contractor is aiming for the 3rd anniversary of the ARL opening!?!
  • Like 1

Is the 'Down' escalator at this (Petchaburi/east) MRT station temporarily turned-off during off-peak hours? wink.png

I suspect that it will open sometime this week?
, from nearly three weeks ago.

"Grand Opening Tomorrow"

Edited by lomatopo

5 months late of the originally stated opening or the revised-after-realising-the-initial-opening-was-way-off opening date?

If the former, the projects run ahead of schedule tongue.png

I thought about a post I made back in March (#351, pg 15)

Deadline, what deadline?

Important to also remember that the contract specified a 120 day construction period and we have already passed that deadline - though we all assumed that this would occur as it always does with every project here. I'd guess that we still have 10-12 weeks minimum before this is close to being finished (factoring in Songkhran and public holidays)

Work started early Nov so the project should have been completed by early March. Add the usual 30% delay for Thailand and it still should have been around mid April. The SRT then stated end of May which of course was not met.

There were 3 prior time frames started even before work commenced late last year with the first being the end of June 2011! The slowness with which the contractor seems to be finishing the work really does suggesting a target of the Queens BD (12 Aug) or the 3rd Ann of the opening of the ARL, 23 Aug!

In some ways there is some symmetry to all of this. I htink I have mentioned this before on this thread;

The MRT to BTS link at Asoke opened a little over 1 year after the MRT opened,

The MRT to BTS link at Silom opened 2 years after the MRT opened.

If the ALR to MRT link at Makkasan opens 3 yrs after the ARL opened it follows a pattern! 555

Who would want next waiting for the next link that opens 4yrs later?!?

5 months late of the originally stated opening or the revised-after-realising-the-initial-opening-was-way-off opening date?

If the former, the projects run ahead of schedule tongue.png

I thought about a post I made back in March (#351, pg 15)

Deadline, what deadline?

Important to also remember that the contract specified a 120 day construction period and we have already passed that deadline - though we all assumed that this would occur as it always does with every project here. I'd guess that we still have 10-12 weeks minimum before this is close to being finished (factoring in Songkhran and public holidays)

Work started early Nov so the project should have been completed by early March. Add the usual 30% delay for Thailand and it still should have been around mid April. The SRT then stated end of May which of course was not met.

There were 3 prior time frames started even before work commenced late last year with the first being the end of June 2011! The slowness with which the contractor seems to be finishing the work really does suggesting a target of the Queens BD (12 Aug) or the 3rd Ann of the opening of the ARL, 23 Aug!

In some ways there is some symmetry to all of this. I think that I have mentioned this before on this thread;

The MRT to BTS link at Asoke opened a little over 1 year after the MRT opened,

The MRT to BTS link at Silom opened 2 years after the MRT opened.

If the ALR to MRT link at Makkasan opens 3 yrs after the ARL opened it follows a pattern! 555

Who would want next waiting for the next link that opens 4yrs later?!?

• 3 weeks later...

Seemingly ignoring the obvious dates of the 12th or the 3rd Anniversary, the ARL - MRT pedestrian link is FINALLY being officially opened on Sat the 10th by the PM. Open now.....

A group of pics -

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.621203034568004.1073741860.256896774331967&type=1

The prime minister is opening a footbridge?

She has a hidden agenda...there's a secret tunnel under the footbridge, stretching all the way from the Cambodian border, by which her brother will re-enter Thailand...

Seemingly ignoring the obvious dates of the 12th or the 3rd Anniversary, the ARL - MRT pedestrian link is FINALLY being officially opened on Sat the 10th by the PM. Open now.....

A group of pics -

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.621203034568004.1073741860.256896774331967&type=1

The prime minister is opening a footbridge?

Hey it IS big news.

After all, the project was completed on schedule, under budget and in time for the opening of the ARL!

• 3 weeks later...

I stumbled across this SARL timetable app. I cannot vouch for accurate it is. It looks like it uses the published on-line schedule, and the clock to estimate the next available trains?

Obviously an app. which was linked directly into the SARL real-time database would be cool.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pprajak.arl&hl=en

post-9615-0-13354600-1377842621_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-71369400-1377842632_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-62026500-1377842642_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-82891800-1377842653_thumb.jp