Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

No, it goes past The Mall Bang Kapi to NIDA, but that's pedantic (ahoy!). We're both wrong. I had a brain fart while making a quick post and said BITEC. I meant Rajamangala Stadium. Someone who knows the area so well might have guessed that.

I do have to point out that this is what kills this forum. People come on here to just be argumentative to a fault. Of course you're right in that I have obviously never taken it, I mean obviously I'm just trying to sound like I have to impress the ThaiGeezers. That's why I can't possibly tell you what the differential in the final weekday departure time from Panfaa Leelard or Wat Sriboon is compared to Pratunam. Seriously, why not just say, "BITEC? That's nowhere on the line, are you sure you're not referring to something else?" instead of exclaiming, stupidly and arrogantly, that I've never taken it. Engineer, I'm guessing?

Anyway, for readers, it runs east pretty close to Rajamangala Stadium, but all the way to NIDA, which most will never need to know about or go to. Don't wear your backpack on the train, please :)

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it goes past The Mall Bang Kapi to NIDA, but that's pedantic (ahoy!). We're both wrong. I had a brain fart while making a quick post and said BITEC. I meant Rajamangala Stadium. Someone who knows the area so well might have guessed that.

I do have to point out that this is what kills this forum. People come on here to just be argumentative to a fault. Of course you're right in that I have obviously never taken it, I mean obviously I'm just trying to sound like I have to impress the ThaiGeezers. That's why I can't possibly tell you what the differential in the final weekday departure time from Panfaa Leelard or Wat Sriboon is compared to Pratunam. Seriously, why not just say, "BITEC? That's nowhere on the line, are you sure you're not referring to something else?" instead of exclaiming, stupidly and arrogantly, that I've never taken it. Engineer, I'm guessing?

Anyway, for readers, it runs east pretty close to Rajamangala Stadium, but all the way to NIDA, which most will never need to know about or go to. Don't wear your backpack on the train, please smile.png

terminating at a temple just past The Mall, Bangkapi

I understand that you are slightly embarrassed and thus jumped on my correction to your major geographic mistake, hence in your enthusiasm you mistakenly read that I said it terminated at The Mall, when I didn't. I started by saying that it was a nice review, hardly argumentative.

The point is that widely inaccurate transport based info requires correction. Many readers read this thread, and a few other threads, relying on them for accurate advice. If the correction is not in the manner that your ego would wish then sorry. Compared to many replies on TV to inaccurate info it really was tame.

If someone posts that you can take a canal boat from near the CAT "all the way east to BITEC pretty much" which is some 20kms in the opposite direction then I'm sorry but that requires immediate correction. It could be that some poor backpacker or BKK resident seeking a more romantic journey than the BTS to BITEC reads your post and becomes completely lost. (Granted that being lost is one of travels delights in discovering new places).

Yes, I would suggest that most upon reading your statement that it runs east to BITEC would assume that you had never taken it in that direction. Your excuse is that you somehow confused BITEC with Raja stadium. (If I had a "brain fart" as you say, and told someone that they could catch the BTS to Impact Arena instead of National Stadium, I'd sincerely want someone to promptly correct that!)

I always appreciate it when someone corrects a factual geographical based error that I may post.

PS. If you haven't tried the trip to Minburi, do give it a go one day, it is quite nice. :)

http://khlongsaensaep.com/

http://khlongsaensaep.com/lines-route-map.html

If going to the Bangkok International Trade and Exposition Center (BITEC) I might take the BTS (Skytrain) - Sukhumvit Line towards Bearing to Bang Na station - E13 - and use Exit #1? I think you can walk up Sukhumvit Road a short way and then duck into a recently constructed walkway which will take you into BITEC.

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/images/area-map/E13_update.gif

post-9615-0-30188200-1383810944_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-79316300-1383810954_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

SRTET really trying to get more airlines to use the CAT check - in from 1 Jan 2014 with the aim for 1000 pax using it a day next year - that is not going to happen! (refer to #501 above for why)

Currently, 10-15 a day use it! I am surprised is it that high to be honest!

From the SRTET "Announcement":

However, the development of facilities and commercial zones, including duty-free shops, must be completed before the check-in service can be expanded, he added.

So be patient.

I honestly did not even realize they were still allowing check-in at the CAT; I thought that it had long ago been shut down, and the CAT just now only used to film TV commercials and dramas?

But the TG/OZ web-site has a recent update, which I assume is accurate - the check in from T-3 to T-12 hours is handy...

Check-In Service Now Open at Bangkok City Air Terminal, Makkasan Station
Thai Airways International has opened a check-in service at Bangkok City Air Terminal (BCAT) at Makkasan Station for passengers and their baggage flying THAI Domestic and International flights.
The airport rail link provides additional travel convenience for passengers travelling to and from downtown Bangkok and Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport.
Passengers flying Thai Airways International may check-in at THAI counters number 16-20, located on Level 3 of the Bangkok City Air Terminal at Makkasan Station from 0700 to 2100 hours daily. This service provides an alternative to airport check-in for passengers preferring downtown check-in; have their boarding passes allocated and luggaged checked to final destinations.
The check-in service at Makkasan Station is available for all THAI travellers holding a confirmed tickets on either THAI domestic or international flights and Express Line tickets to travel on the airport rail link.
The travel time from Makkasan train station to Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport on the Express Line is only 15 minutes and costs 150 baht.
Passengers are advised to check-in at Bangkok City Air Terminal (BCAT), Makkasan, at least three (3) hours and up to 12 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure. Passengers with 3 to 12 hours free time prior to their flight can spend time exploring Bangkok after checking their luggage at Makkhasan Station.

http://www.thaiairways.com.au/thai_special_offers_desc.asp?special_cat=What's%20New&id=351

I honestly did not even realize they were still allowing check-in at the CAT; I thought that it had long ago been shut down, and the CAT just now only used to film TV commercials and dramas?

But the TG/OZ web-site has a recent update, which I assume is accurate - the check in from T-3 to T-12 hours is handy...

Funny first sentence lomo.

While I knew it hadn't shut down as one always sees the bored staff - I always wonder about the 4 guys employed to load luggage..... what do they do all day? - I am surprised that 10-15 are using it each day. I had thought it was only 2-3 doing it more for curiosity sake than anything else.

The check in has always been 3-12 hrs before departure. I pointed out the limitation with the 3 hr limit very early in the thread as I really see little advantage for any pax checking in 3-12 hrs ahead. It is not like Hong Kong City Station where you can check in, then go and grab some food or do some shopping nearby, before boarding the Airport Express train 90 mins before your flight.

I guess if one wanted to get rid of ones baggage and then whip up to Central Rama 9 or down to T21 before later taking the train. However, I struggle to see any advantage currently while the CAT is so isolated??? In nearly all scenarios it seems better to just keep ones baggage at the hotel/home/office and then ARL it to the airport with your bags around 1.5-2 hrs before flight departure.

While I knew it hadn't shut down

I think I assumed that there used to be more airlines which allowed for check-in at the CAT, pretty sure PG did, and then some/all of those other airlines terminated this service. Think PG terminated this service ~ 2 years ago? I honestly did not even realize that TG had continued to offer this service, but then I never really look around the CAT as I am usually focused on a transition to/from the MRT.

I had to look on the TG/OZ web-site to find out anything about this service.

I guess for the late evening (and even a little bit after midnight) TG flight bank to Europe, one could check out of the hotel, check in at the CAT around Noon-ish, then spend the day in the City before heading to the airport. Not much of an advantage though, assuming you could just leave your luggage at the hotel, then head to the airport.

Is there an app for the klong boats in BKK? I need all the help I can get figuring them out.

I'd say very doubtful. There is really only the one service of note, Klong Saen Saeb/ Lomo posted their website and map above. What more do you need?

This thread may also have some info which helps, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/674676-fast-and-malodorous-bangkoks-khlong-boat-network/page-2#entry6935083

It appears that the SRT is going to get the new rolling stock for 20% less which hopefully should scuttle the chinese rolling stock option. However, the fact that the order for the 7 new sets has been delayed for 18 months now means that the new stock might barely be delivered before the ext opens! (Need 2 years for delivery once ordered and factor a little delay). Originally these new sets were going to be delivered by late 2013/early 2104. If work does start on the DMK ext by early next year then the SRT should be ordering more rolling stock for this extension in 2015.

Daily pax is averaging 55k of which 10% is said to be Express pax but I can't really believe that later figure given the current timetable and limited Express services.

On 8 Nove the ARL had the largest number of pax ever with exactly 58 500 pax!

(Cityline: 56 562 & Express 1938). The Daily Ave is still around the 52-55K range.

For the new 7 sets of 4 car rolling stock the SRT plans to bid and finalise a contract in early 2014 for a 2016 delivery! (Originally when the money was budgeted in mid 2012 it was thought early to mid 2014 would be the delivery date). The budget is 4.855 billion baht.

5 companies are on the short list. The choices are CNR/CSR rolling stock for 70-80 million per carriage, CAF for 80-90m, Bombadier for 100-120m? or upgraded Siemens Desiro II (the current stock) for 130m each. Reportedly, max operational speed will be increased to 200km/h given the ARL will be the basis of the future Eastern HSR and thus for future flexibility some of the rolling stock may also end up being used on that line.

http://khomesmilesclub.askkbank.com/Pages/NewsPropertyDetail.aspx?id=76523&ishome=True

Is there an app for the klong boats in BKK? I need all the help I can get figuring them out.

I'd say very doubtful. There is really only the one service of note, Klong Saen Saeb/ Lomo posted their website and map above. What more do you need?

This thread may also have some info which helps, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/674676-fast-and-malodorous-bangkoks-khlong-boat-network/page-2#entry6935083

How often do they run? On any sort of timetable? Work with me here. wai2.gif

How often do they run? On any sort of timetable? Work with me here. wai2.gif

We can all work with you when you are specific about what you need to find out.

Not really a timetable but they run about every 5-10 mins during the day but at peak every few mins depending on the direction - ie. going opp. the main peak driection you can wait 10mins or more. The start and finish times are on the website.

I had understood that the last service from Pratunam was 7;30pm but I just checked a pic that I took last month of the new signage that has been installed at most piers with operating times, it says last ferry from Pratunam is 8:30pm. However, double check that.

If you've ever observed the Khlong San Saeb boat service you'd understand that any schedule would probably be shot given the variable dwell times at various piers. There may be some target schedule, interval and connection time at Pratu Nam. but who knows how well that is managed.

That said, Google Maps with Directions does have the Khlong San Saeb canal boat service integrated so you can experiment with it. I wouldn't plan a business meeting on it, even when factoring in the "surf", but it may be of some assistance?

Other interesting apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zvzz.android.timetable&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nice2studio.bkk_transport&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pprajak.arl&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iseetheit.airportlinktimes&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jandevel.mapapps.bangkok.online.free&hl=en

post-9615-0-89359300-1385427045_thumb.jp

I realise this may be an uninformed comment and I have very limit experience with Airport Express, but I took the express train from BKK to Phayathai yesterday and the fare was 90 baht. Quoting from the previously posted article:

The travel time from Makkasan train station to Suvarnabhumi Bangkok International Airport on the Express Line is only 15 minutes and costs 150 baht.

I realise this may be an uninformed comment and I have very limit experience with Airport Express, but I took the express train from BKK to Phayathai yesterday and the fare was 90 baht. Quoting from the previously posted article:

Cheers Bubba, it is good of you to wish to correct info.

Actually, both are correct in a sense. The actual fare is an ongoing promotion fare that was first introduced in mid 2011 and has been extended twice currently running until 31 Dec 2013. It is 90 baht one way and 150 baht return (if used within 14 days), http://srtet.co.th/en/10_footer/news_detail/26.html

Try to refrain from being too ecstatic about the discount..... http://srtet.co.th/en/10_footer/news_detail/08.html whistling.gif

Cabinet approved the purchase of 7 new 4 car sets for 4.86billion baht on Tuesday - no new info to what I posted on 25/11. (The 2nd time Cabinet has approved this purchase). Given that the SRT & MOT has wasted nearly 18 months since the money was first allocated it is going to be many, many more overcrowded journies to endure before we see new rolling stock.

(In fact one of the current 9 sets is out of action)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got a link to a timetable showing the Paya Thai- Airport express times. The official website only shows the times coming from the airport. Had a google about but can't seem to find it. I know it's every half hour- but is it twenty past and ten to the hour..?

Has anyone got a link to a timetable showing the Paya Thai- Airport express times. The official website only shows the times coming from the airport. Had a google about but can't seem to find it. I know it's every half hour- but is it twenty past and ten to the hour..?

All timetables seem to be there as far as I can see, no morning services due to the need to use Express stock on the Cityline. You probably would be best to take a Cityline train.

http://srtet.co.th/en/11_time_table/lastest/express_pth-svb.html

http://srtet.co.th/en/11_time_table/lastest/city_pth-svb_weekday.html

http://srtet.co.th/en/index.html

• 4 weeks later...

I used the Express to Makassan around 2.30PM a couple of weeks ago when the PDRC had their first round of 'satellite' inconvenience sites at Sukhumvit @ Asoke. Getting a taxi is usually a hike to Ratchada but they had a couple of staff at the bottom of the escalator that asked your destination. I was headed for lower Sukhumvit and they said no taxis available but they called for a motorcycle taxi on their 2-way radio. Chap showed up a couple of minutes later and we negotiated 80 baht (he wanted 100) and I was where I wanted to be in about 6 minutes as traffic was sparse. Coming back around 6PM and there were taxis on Sukhumvit again and hired one direct to airport and he used the meter, no worries.

Hopefully, they will have the same staff available now that the above secondary site is now permanent. If you have a backpack or no baggage, it is relatively easy but totally out of order if you are lugging baggage. I didn't see anyone at the airport end advising people of the problems they may have at Makassan.

The ARL had its first major disruption to services for a while on Monday morning around 8:30am at Hua Mark when a Cityline train suspend to due an unspecified track problem. Reportedly, services resumed after an hour.

During that time apparently the Airport bound track was used alternating for both in and out services - most likely between Hua Mark and the depot at Klong Tan (past Ram) where the next turn out is located. We'll have to wait and see if we get the full story on the reason why.

Had this happened next Monday the 13th when we can expected a huge volume of pax.........conspiracy theories would have abounded.

• 1 month later...

Took The ARL first time in both directions yesterday.

Plane landed 13.10, managed to get onto city train at 13.42 or so, nice ride at 45B, well worth the money, not so the overcharged 25B for BTS to National Stadion, spent some time in MBK.

Got Back Phaya Thai a few minutes before 16.00, just in time to catch the 16.00 express, but for 150B, no thanks, took the 16.02 city train, if I get this right takes 9 minutes more? My plane was leaving 18.10, so the 9 minutes extra wouldn't make the difference.

I don't see why anyone with one bag or back pack would pay for the express train.

I don't see why anyone with two or 3 bags would take the express train neither, what for Christ sake would you do once at Phaya Thai. I would not even consider walking to the nearby Pullman.

My opinion: They should cancel the express trains all together and increase frequency on the city trains, say every 7 or 8 minutes.

That would shorten waiting time for everybody.

Plane landed 13.10, managed to get onto city train at 13.42 or so, nice ride at 45B, well worth the money, not so the overcharged 25B for BTS to National Stadion, spent some time in MBK.

Got Back Phaya Thai a few minutes before 16.00, just in time to catch the 16.00 express, but for 150B, no thanks, took the 16.02 city train, if I get this right takes 9 minutes more? My plane was leaving 18.10, so the 9 minutes extra wouldn't make the difference.

I don't see why anyone with one bag or back pack would pay for the express train.

I don't see why anyone with two or 3 bags would take the express train neither, what for Christ sake would you do once at Phaya Thai. I would not even consider walking to the nearby Pullman.

My opinion: They should cancel the express trains all together and increase frequency on the city trains, say every 7 or 8 minutes.

You state a 150 OW Express fare, I hadn't checked if the reduced fare had been extended as I assumed that it would given it has been for the last 2 years. If the SRTET has not extended the reduced fare beyond 1 Jan 2014 (90 OW, 150 return) and reverted to the 150 OW fare it will kill their pax numbers for the Express back to around 1K a day. (Strangely but not unexpectedly the SRT site lists the reduced fare in Thai but in English it has been updated to the flat 150 fare).

As previously advised, the PT express does not run until 10am in order to use Express sets on the morning Cityline peak. The issue of overcrowding and frequency won't be resolved until those 7 new 4 car sets are delivered in 2016!

Connecting the Express and Cityline lines by installing a turnout on the east side of Makkasan in order to run one Express service stopping at Makkasan (instead of the current two, PT and Makkasan) will help a little. However, I am yet to see the tender go out for that though the 17m baht was allocated some 2 years ago! Yet another one of these crazy SRT delays.

Also, there has been some restructuring of the SRTET but I post details on that in few days.

My major concern with the ARL is that the extension which was a priority in mid 2012 according to the Minister given the need to provide a mass transit link between both airports (once the 2 airport policy was announced in April 2012) has gone no where. It was guaranteed to be tendered in mid then late 2013 but the tender has subsequently disappeared. With the current state of politics one doubts that anything will happened before the end of 2014.

Given a 3-4 yr construction timetable and what should have been operating by late 2016 now looks like 2018-19! Sigh.....facepalm.gif

True...there is no need for the express service.

The only time it is worth taking the express is during rush hour when the Cityline trains can get totally rammed while the express is almost empty.

The other day I was on a packed Ciy train and saw the express pulling into the station with 2 people on board.

The only time it is worth taking the express is during rush hour when the Cityline trains can get totally rammed while the express is almost empty.

Is it only during rush hour that the Cityline trains are packed, or have I just had bad luck? in proably a dozen (or more?) trips between Suvarnabhumi and Bangkok, the trains have usually had standing room only when they departed the airport, or at Phaya Thai, and usually I take them mid-day, anywhere between 1100am and 300pm.

I've only ridden the trains with a backpack. If I had a suitcase, I think I would have waited for the Express, if I had the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it only during rush hour that the Cityline trains are packed, or have I just had bad luck? in proably a dozen (or more?) trips between Suvarnabhumi and Bangkok, the trains have usually had standing room only when they departed the airport, or at Phaya Thai, and usually I take them mid-day, anywhere between 1100am and 300pm.

I've only ridden the trains with a backpack. If I had a suitcase, I think I would have waited for the Express, if I had the time.

It gets much busier during rush hour. Very uncomfortable and people cannot board the train at certain stations.

And still the express keeps rolling by with 3 people on it....

• 1 month later...

according to the Bangkok Post ( 07/04/14), the express service from Phaya Thai will stop from TODAY for ONE YEAR ( for overhaul). City Line to run as normal.

Correct, could be longer though as the repairs can take one - two months for each train. Hopefully the trains waiting for repairs can last that long (worn wheel bearings and brakes, among other issues).

Express to Makkasan continues with 60 minute headways.

Official notice, and new schedules are available here on the Thai version:

http://www.srtet.co.th/th/

Archived