Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

So the best way to get to Suk using the Airport rail link is the Express to PhayaThai and then the skytrain, is that correct?

Do you require and additional changes on Skytrain?

You can use the Express or the City Line from the airport.

The City Line is possibly better, because it runs every 15 minutes or so, and it stops at both Makkasan and Phayathai.

The Express will stop at Makkasan OR Phayathai and runs every 45 minutes or so (don't quote me on that ... the previous post shows every 45 minutes for Makkasan. Not sure about the express to Phayathai.)

If you go to Makkasan, it's a short walk to Petchaburi MRT, and one stop on the MRT to Sukhumvit.

If you go to Phayathai, it's a number of stops on the BTS around to stations on Sukhumvit Rd.

So it would depend on where you were going to on Sukhumvit as to whether you should go to Makkasan and use the MRT or to Phayathai and use the BTS.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not at all familiar with MRT but somewhat with the BTS. I'd be going to Bumungrad (sp) on soi 3 so on BTS i guess closest station would be Nana?

Can you confirm for me that once on the BTS at Phayathai i do NOT need to change trains ( albeit as you say quite a few stations ).

Many thanks.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the best way to get to Suk using the Airport rail link is the Express to PhayaThai and then the skytrain, is that correct?

The City Line is possibly better, because it runs every 15 minutes or so, and it stops at both Makkasan and Phayathai.

The Express will stop at Makkasan OR Phayathai and runs every 45 minutes or so (don't quote me on that ... the previous post shows every 45 minutes for Makkasan. Not sure about the express to Phayathai.)

If you go to Makkasan, it's a short walk to Petchaburi MRT, and one stop on the MRT to Sukhumvit.

If you go to Phayathai, it's a number of stops on the BTS around to stations on Sukhumvit Rd.

So it would depend on where you were going to on Sukhumvit as to whether you should go to Makkasan and use the MRT or to Phayathai and use the BTS.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not at all familiar with MRT but somewhat with the BTS. I'd be going to Bumungrad (sp) on soi 3 so on BTS i guess closest station would be Nana?

Can you confirm for me that once on the BTS at Phayathai i do NOT need to change trains ( albeit as you say quite a few stations ).

Many thanks.

Correct. You don't need to change trains. You get at Phayathai (N2), pass Ratchathewi (N1), Siam ©, Chitlom (E1), Ploen Chit (E2), and then Nana (E3), all on the Sukhumvit line.

Thanks for the info.

Many thanks.

Correct. You don't need to change trains. You get at Phayathai (N2), pass Ratchathewi (N1), Siam ©, Chitlom (E1), Ploen Chit (E2), and then Nana (E3), all on the Sukhumvit line.

Perfect, thanks very much.

Just out of interest what sort of time duration to get from Phayathai to Nana station? ( approx )

Ploen Chit BTS station may be a bit closer to Bumrungrad Hospital than Nana? Use Exit #3, walk east, under the Expressway, and turn left up Sukhumvit Soi 1. This stop/exit would also be better if taking a motorbike taxi.

If you will have luggage please be aware that you may have to carry it down some stairs, at one or more points during your trip.

I would not recommend the Cityline if you have luggage as it can get very busy.

Very annoying to see idiots taking piano sized suitcases and backpacks on a packed commuter train.

AS I mentioned in the early days: they will get it right with the City line running every 5 minutes and NO Express line whistling.gif

Not sure this is feasible re: available functioning rolling stock, schedules/durations/dwell times, track/platform configurations? Probably 10 - 15 minutes might be the best/safest achievable target? I am not a railway engineer, nor do I portray one on TV.

Can't see why they couldn't run every 5 minutes if more rolling stock were bought.

Maybe the track at Phaya Thai would need to be extended to allow train coming from the airport to change track after passengers have exited (the same as the BTS at National Stadium) but that would be relatively straightforward.

Very annoying to see idiots taking piano sized suitcases and backbacks on a packed commuter train.

It is an "Airport Link", so it's no surprise to see people with suitcases. Also, what should you do if you're not getting on/off at Phayathai or Makkasan?

Having said that, I wouldn't take the City Line out to the airport during peak times. You'd never get on. Going from the airport, at least you can get on.

Very annoying to see idiots taking piano sized suitcases and backbacks on a packed commuter train.

It is an "Airport Link", so it's no surprise to see people with suitcases. Also, what should you do if you're not getting on/off at Phayathai or Makkasan?

Having said that, I wouldn't take the City Line out to the airport during peak times. You'd never get on. Going from the airport, at least you can get on.

It is an Airport link, true. But I think people need to exercise a little commonn sense and not travel on a commuter train during rush hour if they have loads to carry. The express is there for people who have luggage.

If you want to go to a station other than PT or MAK then you have no choice and must take the Cityline but from my experiencce the vast majority with suitcases get off at Makkasan and Phayathai.

Ploen Chit BTS station may be a bit closer to Bumrungrad Hospital than Nana? Use Exit #3, walk east, under the Expressway, and turn left up Sukhumvit Soi 1. This stop/exit would also be better if taking a motorbike taxi.

If you will have luggage please be aware that you may have to carry it down some stairs, at one or more points during your trip.

Polenta Chit it is then, thanks.

I won't have any luggage.

Don't be a cheap Farang.

The city line is designed and priced for poor Thai with subsidy from local tax payer.

Farang should pay a little more and go for the Express.

What a very odd statement. I use the ARL often when in Bangkok, and the station I usually get on/off at is Ramkamhaeng.

No Express service there, therefore I must be another cheap Farang.

and for the earlier entry above complaining about taking luggage on the City line - same thing applies. I use the City Line, and some times I have luggage. And no, I don't normally tend to bring my piano sized suitcase with me (unless its a special occasion, usually I just leave the piano at home)

Farang should pay a little more and go for the Express.

With 60 minute intervals to Phaya Thai, or 45 minute intervals to Makkasan, my primary issue with the Express train(s) is not the cost but rather the wait. If I miss just an Express train I am disinclined to wait 50, or 35, minutes for another when there is a City Line train departing in less than 15 minutes. If there is an Express train leaving within the next 10 minutes I'll take it, otherwise I'll take the City Line.

The Bangkok Post is reporting that "passengers will possibly be able to check in at Makkasan starting early next year".

Frequency will be increased to every half hour from every hour currently.

The connection between Phayathai and Makkasan (for the express service) will be completed by the end of 2015.

The Bangkok Post is reporting that "passengers will possibly be able to check in at Makkasan starting early next year".

Frequency will be increased to every half hour from every hour currently.

The connection between Phayathai and Makkasan (for the express service) will be completed by the end of 2015.

It is a really, really poor article. Reporters can't even do any basic fact checking here and are to lazy to even bother checking their own publications previous articles on an issue to ensure accuracy, relevance and continuity. Of course politicians and decision makers expect journos to just regurgitate whatever they are told.

Here are the Thai press articles on the same news,

http://www.bangkokbiznews.com/home/detail/business/business/20131027/539003/news.html

http://www.dailynews.co.th/Content.do?contentId=190556

The good news, the EIA appears to have finally been completed - most likely not signed off yet. Hopefully the tender will go out for the 27 billion baht 21.8km ext by the end of the year given that mid year was hoped for. There is no use talking about a time frame until a contract is signed and work starts but note that previously it has been consistently stated that the extension to Don Muang will take 4 years to build so if works starts next year that means mid 2018. Also remember that it needs the new Bang Sue Terminal to be completed as well.

The 2 year construction time frame is just pure BS and even the most incompetent, drunken and stupid reporter should have been able to query that one in a fleeting moment of lucidity!

It appears that the SRT is going to get the new rolling stock for 20% less which hopefully should scuttle the chinese rolling stock option. However, the fact that the order for the 7 new sets has been delayed for 18 months now means that the new stock might barely be delivered before the ext opens! (Need 2 years for delivery once ordered and factor a little delay). Originally these new sets were going to be delivered by late 2013/early 2104. If work does start on the DMK ext by early next year then the SRT should be ordering more rolling stock for this extension in 2015.

The push for Makkasan check in is confusing and consistently ill thought out. Even if it has the AOT support which is implied due to overcrowding at the airport, there is insufficient rolling stock given the ongoing problems with spare parts and maintenance. I don't see it working.

People also are not going to want to check in at the CAT 3 hrs ahead of time when they can just take the ARL to the airport and check in 1-2 hrs ahead. Comparison were made to "Hong Kong, Britain, Malaysia and France" but they are false comparisons as there is no incentive to do a city check in at Makkasan currently. I use the city check in in HK every time as it means I can have some food or shop or a mtg without my luggage before proceeding later to the airport. Makkasan is appropriately large as a terminus (for the Eastern HSR line too) and will offer a good city check in eventually but we are some years away from the same convenience as other places - once the Makkasan redevelopment is built.

Also, for this to really work the SRTET needs to install the turnout/link between the Cityline and Express lines (which terminate at Makkasan) so that they can offer a through Express instead of 2 separate ones. No sign yet of that work commencing even though funds were allocated over 18 months ago. Improvements are slow, the ped link was just finished and the still we have the extra escalators at 3 stations are still yet to be completed (though work started over 1 year ago).

Daily pax is averaging 55k of which 10% is said to be Express pax but I can't really believe that later figure given the current timetable and limited Express services.

The most important priorities are;

1) Order the new 7 5 cars sets yesterday with an option for more for the new ext,

2) Install the turnout/link between the Express Line and City lines to offer a through Express service instead of 2 separate ones,

3) Start planning for major works over the next 12 months to replace turnouts and unsafe sections of worn out track,

4) Ensure that the tender for the ext is definitely out by Dec and a contract signed by late Jan 2014.

5) Get started on the other station improvements that are planned

6) Execute a few key senior (or non) decision makers - they won't be missed!

I have taken both the express and city line. Normally after missing the express by 5 minutes or so due to the horrific traffic in Makassan, I end up waiting for the city line out of necessity. The few times I have done so, I have also stood in long queues only to watch a train come fully packed and only a few people squeeze in. Dragging luggage is certainly not ideal on the city line other than at lunch-time or late evening (opposite commuter traffic direction of course).
As someone here stated, it's about the wait time for the next express rather than the cost. Yes, I've gotten home for only 35 THB before on the city line, but if the express was every 15 minutes, I'd prefer to take that, have a comfortable seat and a place for my luggage. The city line at rush hour is a zoo.

One thing to add for anyone planning an airport express/MRT journey with luggage, you will be forced to open all of your luggage getting into the MRT station regardless of where you're going. This doesn't happen on the BTS but the MRT has different security concerns apparently.

One thing to add for anyone planning an airport express/MRT journey with luggage, you will be forced to open all of your luggage getting into the MRT station regardless of where you're going. This doesn't happen on the BTS but the MRT has different security concerns apparently.

I wouldn't call it security. It's useless and a complete pain in the arse.

I walk through Sukhumvit MRT regularly with shopping bags in both hands and my work back pack on my back. They carefully shine their torches through my bags and completely ignore my back pack.

I wouldn't call it security. It's useless and a complete pain in the arse.

I walk through Sukhumvit MRT regularly with shopping bags in both hands and my work back pack on my back. They carefully shine their torches through my bags and completely ignore my back pack.

I wonder if they would do a more serious search if you were a young arab or muslim looking guy? I really don't know.

Sometimes, I need to carry my desktop CPU to FortuneTown IT at the Pharam 9 MRT station for service at the mall there...

The MRT security staff always shine their flashlights into small bags and purses...

But they've never yet in my experience asked to unpack or open/inspect things like larger computer or printer boxes, which very easily could be stuffed with explosives or other nasty stuff by terrorists...

Didn't the Iranian terrorists who got caught in BKK previously have some of their explosives packed into portable radios???

Though as I recall, the BTS security staff can be pretty hard core about preventing riders from carrying balloons onboard... whistling.gif

I'm sure this question has been asked before but ...

How / why did they design the Phaya Thai Station (Airport Link) without any down escalator?

Sure, there is a lousy lift ... but hardly convenient.

Have you ever watch people struggle and bump their luggage down the stairs?

^ I think there is at least one elevator at Phaya Thai, at least between the mezzanine and platform. Most people seem to go to the BTS - which is also void of down-escalators - but not sure there is either an elevator or escalator between the street and mezzanine.

Note that Phaya Thai was not really meant to be SARL Express station, really just for the City Line. And it is was planned - feel free to kvetch about the plan - that load-bearing tourists would use the Express at Makkasan, while commuters would use the City Line.

Then they added the Express to Phaya Thai, and of course, many luggage-toting tourists use Phaya Thai to connect to the BTS.

I'm sure this question has been asked before but ...

How / why did they design the Phaya Thai Station (Airport Link) without any down escalator?

Sure, there is a lousy lift ... but hardly convenient.

Have you ever watch people struggle and bump their luggage down the stairs?

still we have the extra escalators at 3 stations are still yet to be completed (though work started over 1 year ago).
5) Get started on the other station improvements that are planned

Phaya Thai is one of the 3 priority stations where down escalators are currently being slowly and pianfully installed and further improvements are planned

Very annoying to see idiots taking piano sized suitcases and backpacks on a packed commuter train.

I especially love the idiots with massive backpacks who leave them on in the carriage, thereby taking up 2-3 torso areas worth of passengers and randomly turning around to check the map, knocking people around.

I took the new footbridge connection at Petchaburi Friday and it was fine. It's poorly signed inside Makkasan station and I had to ask the janitor if, in fact, the last connection was up the escalator since all the signs still say to go downstairs to Petchaburi MRT, but prior to that and once you get outside there's okay signage - it's just that very last spot where there China High Speed Rail Exhibition currently sits that's not intuitive or well-signed.

Another note that doesn't come up often, something that's a non-starter for those not physically able or those carrying large bags anyway, is that the canal boat leaves from right around the corner, and it runs all the way West to Rattankosin and all the way East to BITEC pretty much. If you're traveling light it's a great option and it's open late on weekdays until 20:30.

Another note that doesn't come up often, something that's a non-starter for those not physically able or those carrying large bags anyway, is that the canal boat leaves from right around the corner, and it runs all the way West to Rattankosin and all the way East to BITEC pretty much. If you're traveling light it's a great option and it's open late on weekdays until 20:30.

Nice review on the ped link and yes still many signage probs at Makkasan. Basic signage and route info is not part of the Thai way it seems. However, I'm guessing that you have never taken the Klong San Saeb ferry to which you refer, especially east....

If you had, you'd find that you end up at Bangkapi NOT Bang Na near BITEC as the service runs south parallel to Petchaburi rd and then continues NE parallel to Ramkhamhaeng rd to Bangkapi, terminating at a temple just past The Mall, Bangkapi. (even if it continued east you wouldn't get to Bang Na, you'd have to connect with a long south further along)

From the end of the line you can even continue with a new ferry service to Minburi in the peak hours. Try it, it is a great trip.

Archived