Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

I have the iOS app for the SARL timetable, and it seems to work the same way. Mine is showing four departures per hour for the Express, but last time I checked at the airport ticket booth, there was only one departure per hour.

Can anyone verify what the actual schedule is now? Is it four per hour or once per hour?

^ You do realize you have to click on the blue City Line box, or the red Express line box, in order to display the associated trains?

When I click on the red Express line box it displays 60 min. headways.

You can review the schedules here: http://www.srtet.co.th/en/index.html

No, I didn't realise that. As I mentioned in my post, I am using the iOS app. You are using the Android app. The two apps are different in the way they display schedule data. The iOS app shows four express train departures from the airport per hour: two for Makkasan and two for Phayathai.

Edited by bubba

Starting at the beginning of the year, the express dropped from twice an hour to only hourly. The city line remains at 20 minute intervals. With a difference of about 5 minutes in duration and 1/3 the price, the city line is an acceptable option if you miss the hourly express.

I stumbled across this SARL timetable app. I cannot vouch for accurate it is. It looks like it uses the published on-line schedule, and the clock to estimate the next available trains?

Obviously an app. which was linked directly into the SARL real-time database would be cool.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pprajak.arl&hl=en

I downloaded it and had a chance to test it today, going from Hua Mark to Makkasan. For the incoming train it was pretty accurate (within less than a minute), but I'm sure it just counts from the timetable. Having said that though, it said the train before mine was at 9.00am. Mine was at 9.19. The next one was 17 minutes after that, then the next one was 9 minutes after that. Maybe the App is updated every hour? Or maybe that just is the timetable, weird and irregular as it is (I haven't checked with the published timetable).

Useful app though.

I believe it just shows the posted schedule. It isn't a live app, just showing scheduled times.

I stumbled across this SARL timetable app. I cannot vouch for accurate it is. It looks like it uses the published on-line schedule, and the clock to estimate the next available trains?

Obviously an app. which was linked directly into the SARL real-time database would be cool.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pprajak.arl&hl=en

I downloaded it and had a chance to test it today, going from Hua Mark to Makkasan. For the incoming train it was pretty accurate (within less than a minute), but I'm sure it just counts from the timetable. Having said that though, it said the train before mine was at 9.00am. Mine was at 9.19. The next one was 17 minutes after that, then the next one was 9 minutes after that. Maybe the App is updated every hour? Or maybe that just is the timetable, weird and irregular as it is (I haven't checked with the published timetable).

Useful app though.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it a tad ironic that after so many, many posts complaining about the absence of a pedestrian link for the last 3 years - perhaps 1/3 of all posts in this thread have been about this issue - not one person has yet posted a comment or an evaluation of the new link now that it has finally opened last month!

Was it all much ado about nothing......???

One of the impressive aspects of the link project and perhaps to justify the nearly $3m budget is the large area which has been lawned and landscaped between the CAT and Ratchada rd. I only hope that it is maintained and survives beyond a few months!

Edited by Lakegeneve

I find it a tad ironic that after so many, many posts complaining about the absence of a pedestrian link for the last 3 years - perhaps 1/3 of all posts in this thread have been about this issue - not one person has yet posted a comment or an evaluation of the new link now that it has finally opened last month!

One of the impressive aspects of the link project and perhaps to justify the nearly $3m budget is the large area which has been lawned and landscaped between the CAT and Ratchada rd. I only hope that it is maintained and survives beyond a few months!

Hi LG,

I've used it a few times and I have to say, as bendy slopey, zig-zaggy elevated walkways go, this is up there as one of my favourites. It's definitely in the top three anyway.

Cheers.

Matt

I used the overpass recently to cross over so I could catch a taxi heading towards Sukhumvit. With the left turn lane near the MRT entrance, and the lights being red for 5 minutes at a time, it's quite difficult for a taxi to get across to pick you up and then get over into the through lanes.

There is a small driveway back from the entrance that allows for a taxi to pull in a little out of the left turn lane, but there were very few taxis that would bother stopping there to see where we were going. Having said that, it is easy than getting a taxi from Makkasan that can't even go towards Sukhumvit from there.

Earlier in this thread, I believe, we had some discussion about the prospect of substandard rail construction being used on the ARL line, leading to the jarring noise and jolts felt coming out of some stations.

Now the other day, we see this from Khun Chuwit in The Nation on the SRT's rail purchasing practices:

Chuvit puts derailments down to cheap railway tracks
The Nation September 20, 2013 1:00 am
30215246-01_big.jpg
Outspoken Rak Thailand Party leader Chuvit Kamolvisit yesterday blamed the frequent derailment of trains in Thailand on railway tracks made of low-quality steel bought cheaply from China.

Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt and State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Prapat Chongsanguan were also present at Chuvit's press conference held at Parliament House.

At the conference, Chuvit also displayed the procurement contract signed with the company that built the tracks to back up his claim that it bought substandard steel.

He also showed reporters a video clip of the Chinese steel company's laboratory, saying it was far too small and did not meet international standards.

Chuvit went on to say that the contractor had bought the steel for only Bt20,000 per tonne, when the kind of steel used in railway tracks costs at least Bt45,000 per tonne.

He also alleged that the contractor had charged the SRT for track ballast, but instead of supplying proper ballast, it simply used stones taken from the ground in areas where track was laid. He also put the frequent derailments of late down to the SRT's practice of running trains non-stop, even while the tracks were undergoing repairs.

Chadchart, meanwhile, said he would have Prapat verify this information.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Chuvit-puts-derailments-down-to-cheap-railway-trac-30215246.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

It's perfunctory.

Certainly cuts down on the walking time from the MRT as you can enter the ARL to the East side of the platform rather than having to walk all the way into the 'Airport terminal'. Safer too as you don't have to cross a busy junction anymore.

Can't see how it could legitimately cost $3m though.

And it's a pity it wasn't built 3 years ago. But as we all know, planning and passenger logistics are not the SRT's strong points.

sorry LG... my wife changed her job meanwhile and we're no longer regularly traveling that route... That's my excuse... smile.png

Lol no need for an excuse. I just thought it was rather ironic that after so many understandable complaints about the absence of a link and then the delays during construction,that no one commented once it finally did open.

What's to comment on now that it's finally open?rolleyes.gif

Sure it looks silly as it winds around, over, up/down, and is challenging for people with luggage to wheel up the long incline from the Petchaburi MRT station - where bags get searched, and there are still no signs directing you to the SARL/CAT, and the elevators are hidden - and then once inside the CAT, the escalators/elevators may or may be functioning. It seems like a lot of regular, daily commuters still take the outside route, unless it is raining. But yes, it is better than a sharp stick in the eye, or getting run over by an SRT train.

This little nugget was buried in an ARL news report today on their latest ridership numbers... Had to figure this kind of thing was coming, sooner or later.

Wasn't the Express Line already down to something like one train per hour??? And now in the mornings...none at all out of Phyathai!

I'm presuming, but only presuming, that they'll still run Express service between the airport and Makkasan during those morning hours?

And of course, they'll still have City Line service between Phyathai and the Airport during those morning weekday hours.

As for the new schedule, the Airport Rail Link will be using the Payathai Express Line train as an extra City Line train. Therefore, the Payathai Express Line's services will be cancelled on weekdays from 6 am. to 10 am., but will available on weekends and public holidays from 6 am.to midnight.

The move will add 5 additional services to City Line during the morning rush hours,between 6 am and 9 am, to accommodate the number of City line passengers, which has risen by up to 8,000 a day.

nntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ce.5C6sHNTwTn.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-27
Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

As for the new schedule, the Airport Rail Link will be using the Payathai Express Line train as an extra City Line train. Therefore, the Payathai Express Line's services will be cancelled on weekdays from 6 am. to 10 am., but will available on weekends and public holidays from 6 am.to midnight.

The move will add 5 additional services to City Line during the morning rush hours,between 6 am and 9 am, to accommodate the number of City line passengers, which has risen by up to 8,000 a day.

This seems like good news?

Are they running the fourth (baggage) car? If so, can people ride in that car?

If they'd ever reconfigure the track(s) west of Makassan they could use a single Express train to serve both Makassan and Phaya Thai, but this relatively simple, inexpensive, straight-forward project seems too challenging.

This seems like good news?
Are they running the fourth (baggage) car? If so, can people ride in that car?
If they'd ever reconfigure the track(s) west of Makassan they could use a single Express train to serve both Makassan and Phaya Thai, but this relatively simple, inexpensive, straight-forward project seems too challenging.

Hi Loma,

Yes, they run the fourth car and no, you can't go in it.

Cheers.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

yes, you & I have discussed this issue a few times in the last 18 months or so previously yin the thread. The money was allocated and it is work that would not take more than a month or so at most. However, for some reason it has not been prioritised even though recently this was referred to again as an essential improvement project costing 400m,

I have not been able to get any clear answer as to when this will be done. The extra escalators at 3 stations have still not been fully completed last time I checked even though worked started around a year ago!

Some people live in a different time-space continuum in this part of the world!

Edited by Lakegeneve

At some point in the next few weeks I'll attempt to update what is going on similar to this post below and post #302 (pg 13) from a year ago.

The procurement of extra rolling stock still appears to be a bit of a messy delay which is very worrisome given current overcrowding and that the original plan was for new stock to arrive by mid 2014 (at this stage it won't be until late 2015 at the earliest. Current daily pax is around 57-60k a day.

Note also that the ext to DMK has not been tendered by mid year as was expected and that the AOT is considering making DMK a full service airport by next year to cope with overcrowding at BKK. That would make the ARL ext even more of a priority but as yet no tender and construction will take at least 3 years if not more.............sigh.

One day decision makers here may start to understand the term "intergrated planning" but don't hold your breath!

As for the issue of adding more escalators to the various ARL stations, I noticed this undated news release on the ARL website... Anyone have any idea if any of these promised improvements have actually been done as yet??

In addition, she also reported progress made in the installation of escalators at Phaya Thai, Ratchaprarop and Ramkhamhaeng stations that the installation is expected to be implemented in December this year and shall have been completed by June 2012. Meanwhile, other installations at Hua Mak, Ban Thab Chang and Lard Krabang stations shall have been undertaken following the bidding for its escalators in October 2011. The construction is expected to begin in February 2012, and it shall have been finished by August next year.

http://airportrailli..._detail/32.html
Ignore any dates when it is to do with the SRT - in fact ignore any dates when it is to do with any mass transit issue in Bangkok (and Thailand).

The 3 main improvement projects for the ARL that have been allocated funds are;
1) The installation of extra escalators at stations,
2) The missing ARL to MRT link at Makkasan,
3) Joining the Express and Cityline tracks at the western end of the CAT/Makkasan (30m section of track and signalling) to offer through Express services.

(2) and some of (1) has been contracted but still no clear dates for implementation/installation. (3) I am not sure about any timeframe.

Noticed this announcement, re: schedule changes effective 1 October 2013, on the SRTET site:

With regards to the schedule changes and the app on my android phone, it does appear as if Makassan trains are now every 45 minutes starting at 0600 from town. The Phaya Thai train not starting until 1000 is a bit confusing.

Can anyone confirm these changes after actually using the train this month?

Cheers.

Tried it once, but never again, it nearly killed me humping my baggage up those awfully steep steps. And then i had to find a taxi from train station to my hotel........................never bloody worth it for a couple hundred Bht.

AS I mentioned in the early days: they will get it right with the City line running every 5 minutes and NO Express line whistling.gif

Not sure this is feasible re: available functioning rolling stock, schedules/durations/dwell times, track/platform configurations? Probably 10 - 15 minutes might be the best/safest achievable target? I am not a railway engineer, nor do I portray one on TV.

So the best way to get to Suk using the Airport rail link is the Express to PhayaThai and then the skytrain, is that correct?

Do you require and additional changes on Skytrain?

You can use the Express or the City Line from the airport.

The City Line is possibly better, because it runs every 15 minutes or so, and it stops at both Makkasan and Phayathai.

The Express will stop at Makkasan OR Phayathai and runs every 45 minutes or so (don't quote me on that ... the previous post shows every 45 minutes for Makkasan. Not sure about the express to Phayathai.)

If you go to Makkasan, it's a short walk to Petchaburi MRT, and one stop on the MRT to Sukhumvit.

If you go to Phayathai, it's a number of stops on the BTS around to stations on Sukhumvit Rd.

So it would depend on where you were going to on Sukhumvit as to whether you should go to Makkasan and use the MRT or to Phayathai and use the BTS.