Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

according to the Bangkok Post ( 07/04/14), the express service from Phaya Thai will stop from TODAY for ONE YEAR ( for overhaul). City Line to run as normal.

I quickly looked at the date when I read that it will take ONE YEAR for maintenance. What a total joke.

Well spotted that man there.

Yep, and it fits in with the maintenance news/closure of the Phayathai line further up the page.

Someone mentioned to me that it was silly to do maintenance on only the express line trains (as they had gleaned from the press release the other week)- however it was clear earlier today that they are obviously doing overhauls on the City Line trains and temporarily using the Express stock in their place.

post-136-0-32780900-1397550707_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-19299300-1397550738_thumb.jpg

Are they doing maintenance work on the train coaches, or, are they doing maintenance work on the train line/tracks?

Recall, the prior discussion and mention here about potential wear and safety issues on the track turnouts due to supposedly inferior steel having been used...

As for SeaVisionBurma's photos, I've never been on an ARL City Line train that had any front and rear facing seats. The only City Line trains I've ever been on have had inward facing bench-type seats along the aisle.

As for SeaVisionBurma's photos, I've never been on an ARL City Line train that had any front and rear facing seats. The only City Line trains I've ever been on have had inward facing bench-type seats along the aisle.

That's why I said it wasn't a City Line Train, in response to the quiz.

I read the repair news as inferring that all nine (9) sets: five (5) three-car City Line, and four (4) four-car Express line, would be "repaired". Repairs are said to take one to two months for each of the nine sets.

One assumes there is less wear and tear on the Express trains, so those would be the last sets to be repaired?

I assume the fourth carriage, ostensibly to be used for CAT/airline luggage, is not being used for passengers during City Line substitutions?

With Express line service to Makkasan (only during the year + long repair period) on 60 minute headways I assume they'll need just a single set?

Is this what you would normally expect to see with routine planned maintenance?

No clue, I am not a rail enthusiast, nor do I portray one on TV.

There are some RFPs (on line) issued by the SRTET mentioning brakes and bearings so one hopes the brakes and bearings hold out on those sets still in use. thumbsup.gif

There has also been some on-going controversy regarding the tunnel design at the airport causing premature wearing on overhead components, but those seemed to wear out within a few months so suspect those may have been replaced/repaired a few times since?

am i currently able to take a train from praya thai to suvanabhumi?

Yes, City Line only.

http://www.srtet.co.th/th/

sorry, but i'm confused...

am i currently able to take a train from praya thai to suvanabhumi?

Yes - the City Line is still running from Phaya Thai to Suvanabhumi every 20 minutes.

It is an all-stops service.

It is just the Express service that is not running from Phaya Thai for the next 12 months or so.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Cabinet approved the purchase of 7 new 4 car sets for 4.86billion baht on Tuesday - no new info to what I posted on 25/11. (The 2nd time Cabinet has approved this purchase). Given that the SRT & MOT has wasted nearly 18 months since the money was first allocated it is going to be many, many more overcrowded journies to endure before we see new rolling stock.

(In fact one of the current 9 sets is out of action)

It appears that the SRTET is getting closer to finally placing this order. By the June is what I am hearing but don't hold your breath.......even though pax are in peak hr jams!

Some recent messy internal politics have been delaying a whole bunch of projects.

• 4 weeks later...

So is it possible for me to take the Express Line to Makasan from Suvarnabhumi and subsequently switch to the City Line to reach Phaya Thai?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So is it possible for me to take the Express Line to Makasan from Suvarnabhumi and subsequently switch to the City Line to reach Phaya Thai?

Yes, it is possible ... but they are at separate platforms at Makkasan so you would need to go out of the Express platform area and get tickets for the City Line.

Overall, it wouldn't be worth it.

thanks dude, for bothering!

that was a fast response!

guess i'll just take the City Line and enjoy the trip to Phaya Thai.

Yes, it is possible ... but they are at separate platforms at Makkasan so you would need to go out of the Express platform area and get tickets for the City Line.

Overall, it wouldn't be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 1 month later...

ARL Pax number update:

Pax number have risen by 16.65% for the first 5 months of 2014 compared with 2013. Ave is around 46K a day, over 50K some work days.

As previously advised, major overhaul is progressively being performed on all sets. (Due at 1million km mark but most are now over 1.2m km)

http://www.manager.co.th/iBizchannel/viewNews.aspx?NewsID=9570000073640

Still no news on the ordering of the new 7 sets of 4 car new trains! Thus, prolonging the peak hr Tokyo commuter style crush for at least 2 more years!

Sigh....

Why does it take so long to build the trains?

Which trains exactly? Your question is unclear.

When airlines order new planes say from Boeing or Airbus they order on the basis that the planes won't be delivered until a few years later, sometimes even later. It is based on the production line schedule for the specific model aircraft and obviously waht others orders have already been placed.

It is not so different for trains, you can't just go to Siemens and say we want 7 new 4 care Desiro Mark 2 trains next month. They have a production schedule for each model.

The general timeframe for ordering new passenger rolling stock is 2 years. It could be a bit less, say 18 months, or even longer than 2 years. It all depends on a number of factors.

The SRT has been evaluating German, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese rolling stock (no doubt with a nice junket for each company they are considering) As yet, they have not finalised a decision.

• 1 month later...

Max speeds on the ARL are being reduced to 120km/h from 160 km/h due to the major overhaul that needs to be undertaken on all of the rolling stock and the fact that there is still a spare parts shortage. The major overhaul that is being progressively undertaken on all of the stock will replace brake parts, boogies, shock absorbers and other parts.

The rolling stock is past 1 million km mark where the first major overhaul is recommended by Siemens. These figures from the end of May show the kms of each train;

1. City Line 1: 1,198,052 km

2. City Line 2: 1,168,783 km
3. City Line 3: 1,184,114 km
4. City Line 4: 1,137,118 km
5. City Line 5: 1,179,219 km
6. Express Line 1: 1,265,818 km
7. Express Line 2: 468,232 km
8. Express Line 3: 1,275,792 km
9. Express Line 4: 1,239,796 km

If the the overhauls are not completed prior to rolling stock reaching the 1.32m km mark, then services may have to be reduced further while extra rolling stock is taken out of service due to the risk of major damage to the rolling stock. Each overhaul should take between 4-6 weeks.

http://www.prachachat.net/news_detail.php?newsid=1407509648

In other news, the connection of the City Line and Express Line tracks is finally closer to starting after the money (300m baht) was allocated back in 2012 . As previously stated, rectifying this design flaw will allow one Express service with a stop at Makkasan.

411458_496631103686455_2139543510_o.jpg

Max speeds on the ARL are being reduced to 120km/h from 160 km/h due to the major overhaul that needs to be undertaken on all of the rolling stock and the fact that there is still a spare parts shortage. The major overhaul that is being progressively undertaken on all of the stock will replace brake parts, boogies, shock absorbers and other parts.

The rolling stock is past 1 million km mark where the first major overhaul is recommended by Siemens. These figures from the end of May show the kms of each train;

1. City Line 1: 1,198,052 km

2. City Line 2: 1,168,783 km

3. City Line 3: 1,184,114 km

4. City Line 4: 1,137,118 km

5. City Line 5: 1,179,219 km

6. Express Line 1: 1,265,818 km

7. Express Line 2: 468,232 km

8. Express Line 3: 1,275,792 km

9. Express Line 4: 1,239,796 km

If the the overhauls are not completed prior to rolling stock reaching the 1.32m km mark, then services may have to be reduced further while extra rolling stock is taken out of service due to the risk of major damage to the rolling stock. Each overhaul should take between 4-6 weeks.

http://www.prachachat.net/news_detail.php?newsid=1407509648

In other news, the connection of the City Line and Express Line tracks is finally closer to starting after the money (300m baht) was allocated back in 2012 . As previously stated, rectifying this design flaw will allow one Express service with a stop at Makkasan.

411458_496631103686455_2139543510_o.jpg

So this is not a good development then:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/751548-suvarnabhumi-airport-rail-link-repair-pushed-back-until-late-next-year/

I'm not sure that that report is entirely accurate but yes there does appear to be some delays. The SRTET has been hopeless at having an adequate spare parts inventory.

Also, not an incorrect statement in my previous post as the first major overhaul should occur at 1.2m NOT 1m as I incorrectly stated.

Not that any one is using it but a heads up that the Makkasan Express will only run from 9:30am for the foreseeable future.

... Not that any one is using it but a heads up that the Makkasan Express will only run from 9:30am for the foreseeable future.

Yes, the sole person who will use the Makassan Express one time in the coming year sends his sincere thanks for the heads up smile.png

... Not that any one is using it but a heads up that the Makkasan Express will only run from 9:30am for the foreseeable future.

Yes, the sole person who will use the Makassan Express one time in the coming year sends his sincere thanks for the heads up smile.png

Somehow, the last figures from June showed an ave of 400 pax a day on the Express. (200 pieces of luggage a month use the CAT check in which is why it is closing) It obviously isn't worth it.

http://www.manager.co.th/Home/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9570000081898

Archived