Thaksin - Will Interpol Act?

webfact

Interpol will make decsions based on technical legal reasons not politics. It will be a time in coming as first certain things must go through the Thai legal system and then be passed on. This isnt something that interpol will decide on today based on what newspapaers, a single Thai police officer, a government spokesperson, Amsterdam or Thaksin say and they also wont be influenced by any of that. It will depend upon the papaerwork being done correctly and the evidence and critically the financial evidence.

some people on here seem to think interpol will get him because he said they won't, a bit sad really, some people have been in thailand too long and think the thai way of doing something is the same in the civilised world :) They forget that in the west rule of law is observed and it is observed based on hard evidence. Interpol can not extradite anyway, they can arrest him in a country and then he is handed to that country, thailand then has to try for extradition, and considering he was ousted in an illegal coup it is highly likely that they will see this as politically motivated, especially after amsterdam gets his teeth into them (despite many on here thinking he is clueless, he is a dam_n good lawyer, just because he goes agaisnt what many on here think does not make him clueless, and lets not forget he is privy to more facts than any of us on here)

Agree with most of this, overwhelming indication of political motivation. Mind you I'm wondering how the RobertA effect is seen. For me it's close to an admission of guild, clearly misinformation, obfuscation, suggestions and insinuations are needed to help mr. T. And please notice in the list I'm not talking about lies being needed :-)

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most countries get a touch sensitive when outsiders want to observe or get involved in internal matters. As far as I remember the EU offered, or suggested, rather than 'wanted' to sent observers. In line with this, do you think the Netherlands should ask some countries to observe their general elections next month?

Nobody in the Netherlands is accusing any party of cheating. The EU had observers in the last presidential election in the United States due to the accusations of cheating in Florida 2000.

Thailand has come the laughing stock of the western world. Charging him as a terrorist become he made speeches to the Red Shirts against the government is not terrorisms.

Making speeches is not the reason for charging him, it's the contents of those speeches.

Like Osama Bun Laden. Encouraging people to riot, burn and pillage is an act of terrorism. Encouraging actions which result in deaths, but not acting yourself, is terrorism.

However, let us hope they never get him back here. Keep him away, if he goes to trial let it be done in the ICC at The Hague.

Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya has revealed that his ministry will be sending Vice Foreign Minister Panich Wichitseth to Montenegro to ask for the extradition of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. However, Panich admits that an immediate extradition would be difficult as Montenegro has made it clear in the past that it will not extradite one of its citizens.

Why is it that I think when he returns he will be a richer man?

Interpol will make decsions based on technical legal reasons not politics. It will be a time in coming as first certain things must go through the Thai legal system and then be passed on. This isnt something that interpol will decide on today based on what newspapaers, a single Thai police officer, a government spokesperson, Amsterdam or Thaksin say and they also wont be influenced by any of that. It will depend upon the papaerwork being done correctly and the evidence and critically the financial evidence.

some people on here seem to think interpol will get him because he said they won't, a bit sad really, some people have been in thailand too long and think the thai way of doing something is the same in the civilised world :) They forget that in the west rule of law is observed and it is observed based on hard evidence. Interpol can not extradite anyway, they can arrest him in a country and then he is handed to that country, thailand then has to try for extradition, and considering he was ousted in an illegal coup it is highly likely that they will see this as politically motivated, especially after amsterdam gets his teeth into them (despite many on here thinking he is clueless, he is a dam_n good lawyer, just because he goes agaisnt what many on here think does not make him clueless, and lets not forget he is privy to more facts than any of us on here)

Agree with most of this, overwhelming indication of political motivation. Mind you I'm wondering how the RobertA effect is seen. For me it's close to an admission of guild, clearly misinformation, obfuscation, suggestions and insinuations are needed to help mr. T. And please notice in the list I'm not talking about lies being needed :-)

if you have money you employ the best lawyer for the job, it is no good employing a lesser one to appear not guilty when that lesser one will not be as good, and before you know it you are stitched up because the lesser lawyer missed something.

The only thing I want from a guy named Tony is to make my pizza the way I like it. :)

He'll use too much red peperoni :D

Back to the issue then...I doubt that Interpol will act and if, the evidence has to be very conclusive, which we all know is not that clearcut. Other than that Thailand has not much credibility left abroad and I doubt that Interpol will adopt anything else than a "let's wait and see" approach. However one poster got it right, the red movement aka the UDD aka Phua Thai party has lost out big time as well. Of course there are still scores of red shirts who condone and justify the violence done using irrational comparisons, including some notorious posters on TV who accuse the Thai government of Kindergarten like behavior. Their argumentation however shows a clear lack of mental ability! If at this stage you still find excuses for all the bs violence then all you deserve is a loud "F*%#c y*%". These were real people who got killed and real families who lost everything. How could anyone still come on a thread and point fingers and mouth their standard phrases. I'm really fed up with this brainwashed bs propaganda and oh yes, f#*%k any colors...

Edited by Motoon

Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya has revealed that his ministry will be sending Vice Foreign Minister Panich Wichitseth to Montenegro to ask for the extradition of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. However, Panich admits that an immediate extradition would be difficult as Montenegro has made it clear in the past that it will not extradite one of its citizens. :D:):D:D

Smart move announcing it ahead of time so Thaksin can move all of his money out of there.

It may be in the interest of the Thai government, if it wants to taken seriously. For instance, the EU wanted to send observers to cover the last election 2007 (also an internal affair), but the army junta refused to even discuss the idea.

Given that Thailands recent problems are based around "free and fair" elections, it would be a good idea to have international observers.

But I don't really see either side agreeing to this.

I didn't know the red side was against international observers. Do you have any link supporting this?

Here is an article on the topic:

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2...ctoral-culture/

Thaksin has gone on record saying 'the UN is not my father' when some asked about the 2500+ drugwar deaths. In the recent 'protest' the UDD leaders (and maybe PTP MPs) have petitioned UN, USA, UK and EU to sent observers to protect them from this obviously evil government (petition accepted, no comment, don't call us, we call you.). Internal affair. Now that this protest is over I very much doubt any of the parties involved wants foreign influence. It would spoil the Thai fun.

Thailand has come the laughing stock of the western world. Charging him as a terrorist become he made speeches to the Red Shirts against the government is not terrorisms.

Making speeches is not the reason for charging him, it's the contents of those speeches.

I have listen to the speech that DSI submitted to the court. He say something like "everybody to gather at the provincial hall". Never has he say burn them down. This is implied and assumed by DSI and Thai court.

All his video link clips are in youtube. Please show me one that Thaksin say "burn it", "loot it" or "destroy it" etc.

The only thing I want from a guy named Tony is to make my pizza the way I like it. :)

He'll use too much red peperoni :D

Back to the issue then...I doubt that Interpol will act and if, the evidence has to be very conclusive, which we all know is not that clearcut. Other than that Thailand has not much credibility left abroad and I doubt that Interpol will adopt anything else than a "let's wait and see" approach. However one poster got it right, the red movement aka the UDD aka Phua Thai party has lost out big time as well. Of course there are still scores of red shirts who condone and justify the violence done using irrational comparisons, including some notorious posters on TV who accuse the Thai government of Kindergarten like behavior. Their argumentation however shows a clear lack of mental ability! If at this stage you still find excuses for all the bs violence then all you deserve is a loud "F*%#c y*%". These were real people who got killed and real families who lost everything. How could anyone still come on a thread and point fingers and mouth their standard phrases. I'm really fed up with this brainwashed bs propaganda and oh yes, f#*%k any colors...

Are you suggesting that everyone killed by the military was armed and an immediate threat, or are you saying despite random firing of live ammunition at the crowds the military killed nobody and all the dead were actually killed by their own side?

From my point I have yet to see a picture of a dead protester with a gun within 50 yards of him, I have seen many pictures with no visible weapon. It is clear the military killed unarmed people, I am sure some of those killed were probably armed also.

Mental ability? keep the flaming out and deal with the issues, thanks.

It may be in the interest of the Thai government, if it wants to taken seriously. For instance, the EU wanted to send observers to cover the last election 2007 (also an internal affair), but the army junta refused to even discuss the idea.

Given that Thailands recent problems are based around "free and fair" elections, it would be a good idea to have international observers.

But I don't really see either side agreeing to this.

I didn't know the red side was against international observers. Do you have any link supporting this?

Here is an article on the topic:

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2...ctoral-culture/

Thaksin has gone on record saying 'the UN is not my father' when some asked about the 2500+ drugwar deaths. In the recent 'protest' the UDD leaders (and maybe PTP MPs) have petitioned UN, USA, UK and EU to sent observers to protect them from this obviously evil government (petition accepted, no comment, don't call us, we call you.). Internal affair. Now that this protest is over I very much doubt any of the parties involved wants foreign influence. It would spoil the Thai fun.

Thaksin is right. UN is not Thaksin father. Thaksin's father, Lert, was born in Chiang Mai in 1919 and married Yindi Ramingwong (Daughter of Princess Jantip Na-Chiang Mai). In 1968, Lert Shinawatra entered politics and became an MP for Chiang Mai. (from Wiki)

As a country larger than France, with all the same institutions, I think that Thailand knows this. It is perhaps only some TV posters who know far more than all of Thailand that think otherwise.

Anyway, the point can be seen the other way around, if in fact Mr. Thaksin was guilty of these acts, then the truth will eventually out thus interpol and other governments will take the correct actions. This is by your own admission that the civilized world will follow the law. We shall wait and see.

I have listen to the speech that DSI submitted to the court. He say something like "everybody to gather at the provincial hall". Never has he say burn them down. This is implied and assumed by DSI and Thai court.

All his video link clips are in youtube. Please show me one that Thaksin say "burn it", "loot it" or "destroy it" etc.

Actually he's charged as a terrorists partially because of the contents of his speeches, partially because of financing terrorists (some UDD leaders, late Seh Daeng) and terrorists acts (M79's, MiB, torching government buildings) Plus a few more things. Don't try to pin me down on a single word. For that you should join the censure debate next week.

There is another charge that can be brought against Thaksin, namely a crime against Humanity. However I doubt Thai society, being morally blind, will countenance it. I recall that in 2003 almost 2,500 people, including a nine year child were done to death by the Thaksin regime in a so called war against drugs. It later transpired that most of the victims were innocent and to compound the offence the murdered innocents were, and still are, slandered as unrepentant drug dealers. Drawling drawing room Marxist apologists continue to cite that there is no proof to implicate Thaksin or his Ministers. However he was PM and if we employ normal standards of accountability then he and his ministers have a prima facie case of a crime against humanity to answer. Murder on this scale definitely constitutes a Crime against Humanity!

Thaksin has been charged and acquitted for this already. Besides, the war on drugs appeared to have the support from a higher institution.

Sorry, discussion of the higher institution is not allowed.

Please don't try to lead the discussion into that direction.

Everyone in TV will get into trouble.

Thaksin is right. UN is not Thaksin father. Thaksin's father, Lert, was born in Chiang Mai in 1919 and married Yindi Ramingwong (Daughter of Princess Jantip Na-Chiang Mai). In 1968, Lert Shinawatra entered politics and became an MP for Chiang Mai. (from Wiki)

This is slowly diverting from the topic of this thread "Thaksin - Will Interpol act"

Interpol has to act on every request from one of it's members. How they will react is a different matter. With politics clearly involved they will probably ask for further details.

Well your statement regarding having someone in the defense like R.Amsterdam makes the rule of law in the west a farce too - doesn't it?

So, after all the famous "rule of law" in the so called "civilized" countries isn't really that much ahead of any 3rd world fiefdoms isn't it?

Just remember the O.J. Simpson case... ! ?

It states clearly that he/she however has the money to afford a "good lawyer" will be able to have fiance someone, who employs a team to find ANY possible loop hole and bend the Paragraphs of law in a way that wrong become right if not right then certainly not wrong!

taking all of this under consideration - even he manages to struggle free that still doesn't make this man innocent!

His hand are dripping with blood and he was is the ONE - no but's 'n if's!

get it?

Most countries get a touch sensitive when outsiders want to observe or get involved in internal matters. As far as I remember the EU offered, or suggested, rather than 'wanted' to sent observers. In line with this, do you think the Netherlands should ask some countries to observe their general elections next month?

Nobody in the Netherlands is accusing any party of cheating. The EU had observers in the last presidential election in the United States due to the accusations of cheating in Florida 2000.

In lots of countries politicians call each other by names which might make you blush. Voicing accusations bordering treason. Or just disagree with each other. Surely that is a reason for any selfrespecting country to demand its observers to be present? The EU was in the USA on invitation, not because they demanded or threatened.

I would think th Thai government are also aware of their chances of extradition although they wont talk about it and the strength of the evidence. Even if they have financial evidence woudl they use it is the question. There is a difference between using charges that may inconvenience someone but not result in extradition and those that will.

The questions are:

Does the Thai government really want extradition

Does Thaksin really want to have to argue this out in a westren court which may go to several layers of appeal

I suspect the answer to both is no as Thaksin's presence in Thailand could create problems from a number of perspectives (uprising, what if the government changes, what if he gets assasinated) and as for Thaksin as time is important I severely doubt he wants to get tied up in a western legal process which could take up to ten years judging from Saxena

Edited by hammered

How good is Interpol at bring terroists to book....most terroists are captured by either the USA or UK and Thailand....remember the the guy from MAlaysia who was the kingpin in Indonesia/BAli bombing

IMHO Interpol is about effective as most divisions of non effective United Nations

Well your statement regarding having someone in the defense like R.Amsterdam makes the rule of law in the west a farce too - doesn't it?

So, after all the famous "rule of law" in the so called "civilized" countries isn't really that much ahead of any 3rd world fiefdoms isn't it?

Just remember the O.J. Simpson case... ! ?

It states clearly that he/she however has the money to afford a "good lawyer" will be able to have fiance someone, who employs a team to find ANY possible loop hole and bend the Paragraphs of law in a way that wrong become right if not right then certainly not wrong!

taking all of this under consideration - even he manages to struggle free that still doesn't make this man innocent!

His hand are dripping with blood and he was is the ONE - no but's 'n if's!

get it?

so let me get this straight. If you employ a good lawyer you must be guilty, if you employ someone to do their job properly and hold others accountable when they fail to their job properly you must be guilty? If the government does not do their job or if the law says something is not right, or if there is a loophole then surely it is up to the prosecution to fix this. So you think the law is ok if it finds people that you don't like to be guilty, but of that person is found not guilty based on the law it is because they have employed an expensive lawyer. Even expensive lawyers have to follow the legal system, do you think if you pay more for one he can break the law, he can walk into court and say to the judge "hey, i am expensive so you will listen to me and find in my favour".

Clearly you know something we don't, you are 100% certain he is guilty so you must have evidence to prove this, present yourself to the DSI immediately and give them all this evidence that you seem to have amassed, you can be the hero of the hour. :D

or on the other hand just let the thai government handle it in their usual slipshod way and hope they find another government with the same menatlity.

I have heard it all now, employing a good lawyer means you are guilty :D

The weighted index says that the plan is not weighted in favour of the Government, the red shirt trash will be back on the streets again, if Thaskin is escorted back to Thailand, the best argument is for Mossad to complete the job, and a good job they do ,they even use fake Australian Passports, but the boys and girls of Mossad have a good score when it comes to the hit rate, 100%.

I agree let Mossad take him out.

I am worried if they do get him back what that will cause? A living Martyr? All the reds will retrun to bangkok or will they let him out on bail and he can flee the country again???

Typical thai and never think things all the way thru

if you have money you employ the best lawyer for the job, it is no good employing a lesser one to appear not guilty when that lesser one will not be as good, and before you know it you are stitched up because the lesser lawyer missed something.

1. You take the best lawyer, who is willing to take the case, I think many may not be willing.

2. You take the best lawyer that you perceive to be the best, who is willing to take the case.

3. With equal legal effort, the best lawyer can not erase the truth of the matter.

4. Thailand has more to spend than Thaksin, especially if the terrorist charge helps to freeze T's overseas money.

Reading Amsterdam's resume, I don't see a top notch lawyer, more like a Madoff of the legal world.

Edited by rabo

Like Osama Bun Laden. Encouraging people to riot, burn and pillage is an act of terrorism. Encouraging actions which result in deaths, but not acting yourself, is terrorism.

However, let us hope they never get him back here. Keep him away, if he goes to trial let it be done in the ICC at The Hague.

Exactly.

And if he financed it, it is another charge.

Continuing to finance a group publicly advocating acts of destruction,

aimed at those in a government that you actively oppose is terrosim.

Yes try him in The Hague, a better world press venue for all to see his cupidity.

The weighted index says that the plan is not weighted in favour of the Government, the red shirt trash will be back on the streets again, if Thaskin is escorted back to Thailand, the best argument is for Mossad to complete the job, and a good job they do ,they even use fake Australian Passports, but the boys and girls of Mossad have a good score when it comes to the hit rate, 100%.

I agree let Mossad take him out.

I am worried if they do get him back what that will cause? A living Martyr? All the reds will retrun to bangkok or will they let him out on bail and he can flee the country again???

Typical thai and never think things all the way thru

I'm not a Thaksin fan, but to suggest the Mossad take him out is ridiculous. Let the process of law take it's (slow) course!

Edited by rubl

1. You take the best lawyer, who is willing to take the case, I think many may not be willing.

2. You take the best lawyer that you perceive to be the best, who is willing to take the case.

3. With equal legal effort, the best lawyer can not erase the truth of the matter.

4. Thailand has more to spend than Thaksin, especially if the terrorist charge helps to freeze T's overseas money.

Reading Amsterdam's resume, I don't see a top notch lawyer, more like a Madoff of the legal world.

Number 3 is the most important point you make and the point that most seem to be missing.

Occupying the airport was illegal, inconvenienced thousands of people, and was terrible for Thai tourism, but how is that terrorism?

And how many times do people have to be told!!! People HAVE BEEN charged for that.

Yes but the last news we got on that situation was one of them was out of the country and the others were busy doing important things. What are the charges Loitering.

You tribulize occupying the airport. Like it or not we are still suffering from the effects. Kidnapping over a quarter of a million tourists is not a trivial matter and travel agents have long memories. The red shirts brought shame to Thailand The yellow shirts brought distrust.