No Tourist Visa For You!

Visa exempt entry is 30 days at airport - VOA is 15 days. Did you receive a visa or visa exempt entry? You nationality should determine that.

USA. Visa Exempt Entry.

Believe it or not, I really am a tourist. I love exploring and I'm blessed with a job that allows me the time and then pays well enough when I do work to support it. No. I'm not a mercenary nor a spy. I choose not to apply for a retirement visa because I like my money right where it's at. I have a sweet deal with my bank and they take good care of me when I'm roaming the Sudan or Afghanistan or ... ???

And to Uncle Bob. No, I don't look like my avatar. I'm not that pretty. So, I made sure to wear a nice pair of slacks and a lovely sport shirt. As to the long, greasy hair thing - I'm bald enough that I started cutting the rest of it off and I'm old enough that it doesn't look threatening. Also, I have a soft white beard and I'm chubby enough that I've been called Santa more than a few times here.

I don't think it was my appearance.

Igor, Post 5. I live in Udon Thani. When renewing my Retirement Visa extension late last month, the immigration officer handed me back my bank letter & copies of my bank book, saying that only the Income notarized document is required. In the past several years, my actual transfers have been only about half of my stated income; in fact, the agents often joked about my obviously having a second wife in America. Consequently, it came as no surprise that they no longer need to see proof of monthly transfers. I don't know if this is the same throughout Thailand, but it at least should offer you a way around your problem.

Captain-Bob, Post 3. Long hair undesireable? Some famous singers & actors from all over SE Asia have long hair, & I've never heard of anyone being denied a visa based on the length of their hair.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane/Laos issue around 3 Double Entry Tourist Tourist Visa per Person/Passport before rejecting people.

Currently no red stamp.

Has anyone actually asked the Thai Embassy or Consulate in Vientiane about the exact Tourist Visa rules? I wouldn't want to go all the way to Vientiane (from Bangkok) for a new Tourist Visa only to end up being rejected; it would be a huge waste of time and money. It would be good to know beforehand whether we'd be rejected so that we can plan accordingly.

You can never be 100% certain of what will happen at the Vientiane Thai Consulate.

You'll never get an answer and it is often influenced by nationality. I've already experienced going there for nothing and it's no picnic. I went with my Filipino GF. I got my visa, she was refused.

I'm getting the feeling that the OP is trolling here:

1. He says he has been to the Chiang Mai Immigration office yet he flew to Vientiane (from Bangkok).

If he lived in Northern Thailand he wouldn't be flying to Vientiane and besides, very few visa runners fly to Vietiane as the ticket prices are too high.

2. He's from the USA and mentions that he was given 15 days visa exempt entry upon flying from Vientiane to Bangkok.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this happening.

Considering that many were taken for a ride last week on here ("I have a huge problem, please help!" thread) we have to be careful about what to believe.

I think Russians get 15 days tourist visa.

1. He says he has been to the Chiang Mai Immigration office yet he flew to Vientiane (from Bangkok).

If he lived in Northern Thailand he wouldn't be flying to Vientiane and besides, very few visa runners fly to Vietiane as the ticket prices are too high.

2. He's from the USA and mentions that he was given 15 days visa exempt entry upon flying from Vientiane to Bangkok.

Sir, I have been around for a while, this is the first time I've been called a troll.

1) I live in Chiang Mai. I flew to Vientiane via Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai. I did not say I had flown from BKK. Maybe the ticket prices are too high for you. I find the higher price is worth the savings in time and the miserable ride on a bus.

2) Again, my trip was CM to Luang Prabang to Vientiane and back by the same route. 10,500 baht return. I said nothing about flying from BKK.

I invite you to actually read my OP. I don't believe I mentioned Bangkok at all. Methinks, you may be the troll here.

He does not say you are a troll; he guesses you are “trolling”.

I think “trolling (for)” is an American synonym for “angling (for)”.

If you are really an American, you should know.

And if you are really OK and old enough, I do not understand why you should prefer all the hassle to a retirement visa (extension (THB 1,900) once a year and notification (free of charge) every 90 days, both at your local Immigration Office) or, if you have no other choice, an education visa.

What do you look like (your avatar)? I can imagine some people being denied consecutive tourist visas if they've been doing so for a couple years AND if they appear "undesirable". Not saying that's you (how would I know?) but they have the ability to say "no" anytime they deem fit. Dirty, long hair, disrespectful attire, etc.

'..Oh Captain_Bob, you are so right.

I was in Phuket Immigration for a renewal just last week and left horrified by the dress code of foreigners living here. Not only do most look unclean, but the way they dress shows little self-respect and shows total disrespect for Thailand and its people. It is one big two fingers up to everyone.

I never leave the house without a proper shirt, trousers, socks and shoes. I am NOT a tourist, I live here, so no shorts, Chang vests and fake Crocs or flip flops for me. It is entirely unsuitable to wear beach clothes anywhere except the beach or at home around the pool. Sorry, but when Thais in menial jobs dress better than foreigners living here permanently, it is time to seriously look at just how much you have let your standards slip.

When you hand your passport over to the officer at Immigration, you are immediately identifying yourself as a representative of the country to which your passport belongs.

I am no sycophant, but a wai to Thais in authority is correct manners while in Thailand.

Finally, if you must wear flip flops - lose the hard skin on your feet.

©2010theMagician

This post is lame! In a tourist immigration office like Phuket or Pattaya, dress code is so unimportant. Thais only care about one thing and that is MONEY! If you got it, you can stay! If you don't, get the hel_l out no matter how well dressed you are. Don't think you've been in Thailand long enough to understand this!

What do you look like (your avatar)? I can imagine some people being denied consecutive tourist visas if they've been doing so for a couple years AND if they appear "undesirable". Not saying that's you (how would I know?) but they have the ability to say "no" anytime they deem fit. Dirty, long hair, disrespectful attire, etc.

'..Oh Captain_Bob, you are so right.

I was in Phuket Immigration for a renewal just last week and left horrified by the dress code of foreigners living here. Not only do most look unclean, but the way they dress shows little self-respect and shows total disrespect for Thailand and its people. It is one big two fingers up to everyone.

I never leave the house without a proper shirt, trousers, socks and shoes. I am NOT a tourist, I live here, so no shorts, Chang vests and fake Crocs or flip flops for me. It is entirely unsuitable to wear beach clothes anywhere except the beach or at home around the pool. Sorry, but when Thais in menial jobs dress better than foreigners living here permanently, it is time to seriously look at just how much you have let your standards slip.

When you hand your passport over to the officer at Immigration, you are immediately identifying yourself as a representative of the country to which your passport belongs.

I am no sycophant, but a wai to Thais in authority is correct manners while in Thailand.

Finally, if you must wear flip flops - lose the hard skin on your feet.

©2010theMagician

This post is lame! In a tourist immigration office like Phuket or Pattaya, dress code is so unimportant. Thais only care about one thing and that is MONEY! If you got it, you can stay! If you don't, get the hel_l out no matter how well dressed you are. Don't think you've been in Thailand long enough to understand this!

When I go to the Immigration Office in Pattaya-Jomtien, I am combed and shaved and I wear an ironed shirt with short sleeves, Bermudas and leather slippers.

(I have short hair, no tattoos and no piercings.)

I think the Officers find my appearance OK, as the notification is done in 5 minutes and the extension (which has to be picked up the next day) in 15 minutes.

Hello everybody

I have been refused the extension of my "retirement visa " at Laem Ngop immigration because 2 names( me and my wife ) where on my savings account booklet ( total funds 1 M bath ) which means for the officer that I only own 50 % of the amount ( so 500,000 thb ) ;I opened ( may 26th ) a new savings account with 850,000 th with only my name but I can not show anymore that the fund have been on this account for 3 month minimum

So My 1 year retirement visa will expire on june 15th and I m planning to go to Vientiane to get -if possible -a non immigrant visa

Does someone know

= What are the financial requirement for a non immigrant ( single entry ) 400,000 thb ? 800,000 thb ?

Do you have to prove that these fund have been in my account for at least 3 month ??

I have a tabiaan baan as a prove of residence ( owner of a condominium )

Thanks in advance for your help or any other advice

yves

Several flames have been removed.

Now a new question is asked - there is no financial requirement for a single entry non immigrant O visa. Just tell them you have to start the extension process again if they ask why you need the visa.

'thaiman'

Not lame at all.

10 years ago I needed an extn to my tv and a long term resident assured me it would be best to dress conservatively & neatly ......... it worked and I got my first ever extn.

This was on Koh Samui.

It's taken as a sign of respect, no matter what you think.

----------

thomo

I don't think you know the ropes in Vientiane.... I'm just a beginner and I do have a good agent, thanks to Tropo.

Places such as Penang etc may be a different kettle of fish.

it would be best to dress conservatively & neatly ......... it worked and I got my first ever extn.

This was on Koh Samui.

It's taken as a sign of respect, no matter what you think.

I have seen well dressed people being denied a visa for no reason. Didn't matter at all if they had a suit on or not.

The fact that you are dressing your way and have personal positive experience doesnt imply anything. No matter what you think or expect or being told. :)

(Of course I try to dress nicely when I go to any gov office, and I try to behave respectfuly. In any country. But I wouldnt be so foolish to derive a result from that. Especialy not in (SE) asia.)

thomo

I don't think you know the ropes in Vientiane.... I'm just a beginner and I do have a good agent, thanks to Tropo.

Have 4 double-entry TRs from Vientiane in my current passport.

No need for agents. All extremely easy and no hassle at all.

thomo

You have 4 double entry TRs from Vientiane in your passport. Good luck for the next, but you can't go around gloating about such things. You may not be so lucky next time.

A reasonably priced agent who includes all transport in the price is a God send. He saves me money. No queuing, no waiting, passport delivered next day. Absolutely nothing to do but relax. Saying there is no need for agents is like saying there is no need for 5-star hotels. You're right, but that's not really the point.

Same in Penang. Pay an agent 200 baht to do all the running around.

In general the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane/Laos issue around 3 Double Entry Tourist Tourist Visa per Person/Passport before rejecting people.

Currently no red stamp.

Has anyone actually asked the Thai Embassy or Consulate in Vientiane about the exact Tourist Visa rules? I wouldn't want to go all the way to Vientiane (from Bangkok) for a new Tourist Visa only to end up being rejected; it would be a huge waste of time and money. It would be good to know beforehand whether we'd be rejected so that we can plan accordingly.

You can never be 100% certain of what will happen at the Vientiane Thai Consulate.

You'll never get an answer and it is often influenced by nationality. I've already experienced going there for nothing and it's no picnic. I went with my Filipino GF. I got my visa, she was refused.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this happening.

Considering that many were taken for a ride last week on here ("I have a huge problem, please help!" thread) we have to be careful about what to believe.

I think Russians get 15 days tourist visa.

That's incorrect. Russians do better than most of us because they even get 30 days at land borders, but we already know the OP is an American.

It may be interesting to note that Vietnamese get 30 days at land borders too.

Edited by tropo

If you are over 50 , you can keep your money in your home country , Just show you have the income each month as the Thai goverment wants you to have not problem then for retirement visa

Does anybody know what the current rules are? Do the funds have to be in a Thai account or is evidence that they are in our home country good enough?

You have 4 double entry TRs from Vientiane in your passport. Good luck for the next, but you can't go around gloating about such things. You may not be so lucky next time.

Picking up my new passy on Wed from my Embassy. Then off to Vientiane.

A reasonably priced agent who includes all transport in the price is a God send.

Transport?

A Honda wave is 200b per day. A great way to travel around outside of Vientiane. Great to be independent. And is great fun.

No queuing, no waiting,

So you don't step foot inside the embassy, just give it to him outside and go off to relax 5 seconds later? :)

Edited by thomo

So you don't step foot inside the embassy, just give it to him outside and go off to relax 5 seconds later? :)

He picks me up at the border - takes me to the Consulate where he takes me straight to the window to hand in my application (5 minutes) - drops me to my hotel - brings my passport to the hotel the next day - takes me to the border. Cost 500 baht - 1000 baht depending on negotiation skills.

He picks me up at the border - takes me to the Consulate where he takes me straight to the window to hand in my application (5 minutes) - drops me to my hotel - brings my passport to the hotel the next day - takes me to the border. Cost 500 baht - 1000 baht depending on negotiation skills.

So you're not actually paying an agent. You're paying a taxi driver who helps you skip the queue.

Fair enough.

For some reason there's no "Reply" button on the original poster's post:

Since Thailand's tourism is doing so well, the Consulate in Vientiane has decided to start counting tourist visas. They refused me a visa on Wednesday. They made no notation in my passport just handed me back my application (!) and said I had been here too long and needed to get a different type of visa. Fair enough. I've tried for a non-imm O before but the imm office in Chiang Mai was too incompetent (or maybe it was me) to get it done.

I'm a little puzzled here. You don't go to immigration in Chiang Mai or Bangkok to get a Non-Imm visa -- you have to go to a consulate in another country. Like in Vientiane. Did you ask them for a non-Imm visa? I imagine there was a bit of a language problem unless you speak Thai fairly well.

Look, the way it works, first you apply for a non-Imm visa at a Thai consulate. You may have to do this in your native country, but I applied in Germany and I'm a U.S. citizen, but that was 28 years ago. I expect you could get a non-Imm visa issues in Singapore, or you might have to go to Australia, but you definitely cannot get one at an immigration office in Thailand.

Actually if you qualify for extension of stay for retirement or marriage a non immigrant visa entry is available from Immigration. But OP did not indicate that he was qualified for such issue.

There is no reply to avoid posters making needless quotes. If a quote is required for first post, (thread gone off-topic), just saying "OP" takes care of it.

Currently no red stamp.

Golly…just like any country on the planet, the Thai people can pick and choose. It’s common sense.

The question, just as it is in any country: Why are you here, and when do you plan to go home?

In my country – USA – it’s the law. You must prove that you are not an intended immigrant. Easy.

I just wish my own country would protect its borders as well as the Thais do.

I don t get the point why all this should be an issue ! You boast with having enough money in the bank, being able to stay in Thailand for a long time and already having stayed for long , you are over 50 years old , etc etc. I don t understand why your money should be safer in an USA bank than in a Thai bank account ! Actually , the Baht might be an ideal investment, as it constantly rises against the Dollar and the Euro. I put my 800,000 Baht into my Thai account a year and a half ago, for an exchange rate at 49 Baht : 1 Euro, so I actually now have made a huge profit ! I paid 16,326 Euros for the 800,000 Baht, which now are worth 20,512 Euros !! That is 4186 Euros which are now over 5100 US Dollars !! Just for this " investment" ! Plus it earned me a retirement visa, 4000 Baht for multiple entries, 90 day report at the local immigration. Never any problem. I just don t understand why you buy all the hassles instead of doing such for yourself , and even make it a forum topic. No wonder somebody here mistook you for a troll. I don t see any reason why an USA Bank is a safer haven for your greenbacks than a Thai bank. Is this national pride or just stupidity ? One might wonder !!! I advise you to take steps for a retirement visa. It gives you everything , and the freedom of a Thai bank card. At the ATM , your US bank account always cashes fees which you willingly pay !!!! Plus you loose at the current exchange rates. Did your bank advised you to do so ? How controversial !

Has anyone actually asked the Thai Embassy or Consulate in Vientiane about the exact Tourist Visa rules? ...

Some Thai consulates, I believe also the one in Vientiane, put up this notice, presumably based on guide-lines received from Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

gallery_21260_1006_563785.jpg

In view of this announcement, after having already spent a long time in Thailand for the purpose of tourism an applicant for a further tourist visa may find it useful to explain in a letter to the consul why he needs more time to explore Thailand as a tourist and submit any documents he considers appropriate to dispel possible suspicions that he might be working illegally in Thailand.

--

Maestro

start studie thai and get a ED visa, easy easy..

And very expensive!

Not expensive compared to "all" the other alternative visa's. The ED visa can be for up to 3 years and the 3 month 1900 baht is a small price to pay for the total lack of hassle, not to mention all the posts on Thai Visa.....

Situations like your visit to Vientiane are frustrating, I'm sure. But visa issuance has always been at the discretion of the immigration officer handling your case. There have been many cases noted here of Vientiane issuing "red stamps" for those whom it deemed had too many tourist visas. It's not a big leap to imagine them tightening this even further, particularly if those tourist visas had 30-day extensions.

If you wish to remain in the country for a long time, then a non-immigrant visa is what you need. It's just that type of situation they were designed for. But as with any country in the world, long-term stays are only allowed for specific purposes. In Thailand's case, that's retirement, marriage, support of a child, being a dependent, education, investment or business.

If you don't fit into any of those categories, then Thailand is really not willing to have you stay here.

If you are not married or have Thai children, do not or want to work or invest here, or attend school, then retirement remains your only bonafide recourse. If you do choose to pursue a non-immigrant O visa based on retirement and then obtain the 1-year of extension of stay, there is no getting around the financial requirements. But, remember, it need not only be 800,000 baht in the bank. If you can demonstrate monthly income of 65,000 baht or more, then you can leave your money in the U.S.

There is one other possibility in that there have been cases where overseas Thai consulates have issued 1-year, multiple-entry retirement (O-A) visas without the requirement that the money be deposited in a Thai bank. Bank statements showing you had such money was generally all that was needed.

These places are few and far between, but our legal advisors would be happy to assist you with this or other issues related to obtaining the visa you desire.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Last year I obtained a retirement visa with no documentation of anything, you can also get a one year visa to visit freinds in Thailand but you have to make 90 day visa runs.

So you're not actually paying an agent. You're paying a taxi driver who helps you skip the queue.

Fair enough.

You're quite annoying. I give good advice about how agents can help and you come on again with stupid comments. He fast tracks the application and picks up my passport the next day. That's what agents do. Many people have benefited and been thankful for such information.

Have a nice time waiting in the queue.

Edited by tropo

thomo

You gloat here that you won't have any problems with 4 tourist visas in your passport but you failed to mention that you're going with a brand new passport.

It makes a big difference and it's generally known on here that a new passport can lead to further tourist visas being issued.

You really should make it more clear so that people needing useful information won't be misled by your posts and think that going with 4 back-to-back tourist visas is no problem when in fact it is.

Edited by tropo

If you have alot of money, transfer 800,000 baht and leave it in BAnkok Bank for 3 months, then go to penang and get Banana guest house to get your visa for you. I have done it that way with the Non O for the last 5 years and never had a problem.