Was My Visa Not Noticed By Immigration At The Airport

I sent my passport off to the Thai consulate in Hull when I was in the UK in January and paid for an Non-Immigrant "O" visa, the Visa is stamped in my passport.

Two months after I brought the Visa I flew to Bangkok, when I arrived in BKK I'm sure I had to write my Visa number on the arrival card, I handed my passport to immigration, got a stamp and went on my way. It's only just now realised that they gave me the usual stamp that I always received when I got a 30 entry stamp on arrival, and the "admitted until" date is written as 30 days after the day I arrived here.

Is this correct? Am I here on the Visa I paid for or was it ignored and I got a 30 day entry stamp?

How do I rectify this (I'm now in Ubon Ratchathani), one important fact is that the 30 days have already passed and I am here later than the "admitted until" date states.

I had exactly the same problem recently, at the first occasion i was around Bangkok i went to the immigration office were they got a dedicated desk just for the wrong stamps....i am not sure if they do it because they couldn't care less to check or maybe is because they try to increase sales at the many shops inside the immigration building, i haven't bought anything there because of my doubt.

I had exactly the same problem recently, at the first occasion i was around Bangkok i went to the immigration office were they got a dedicated desk just for the wrong stamps....i am not sure if they do it because they couldn't care less to check or maybe is because they try to increase sales at the many shops inside the immigration building, i haven't bought anything there because of my doubt.

So you're saying that I'm ok because I have a Visa stamp in my passport dated for January and the wrong entry stamp was March, so I am entitled to the 90 days my Visa allows?

I just need to get the stamp corrected, is that right?

How can I do this in Ubon Ratchathani? I am planning to do a border crossing in a few weeks (which is why tonight I discovered this) so can this be taken care of then? I'd rather sort it out asap for peace of mind if possible.

if i was you, i would go to the nearest immigration office and see if you can get rectified there, otherways in Bkk they will do it for sure and at no extra charge, in my case i had even to tell the guy at the entrance providing the tickets for the queue to press on his machine where it says "correction stamps" because he was just keeping looking at all the stamps on every page of my passport.......

Edit:

Have a look here for the address http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Address-Ubon...rt-t183951.html

Edited by surayu

if i was you, i would go to the nearest immigration office and see if you can get rectified there, otherways in Bkk they will do it for sure and at no extra charge, in my case i had even to tell the guy at the entrance providing the tickets for the queue to press on his machine where it says "correction stamps" because he was just keeping looking at all the stamps on every page of my passport.......

Thanks very much for the info surayu, I'm obviously awake at 2am worrying about a potential 40 day overstay!! I feel much better after hearing from you. Next time I'm checking all stamps on arrival regardless. :)

Thanks very much for the info surayu, I'm obviously awake at 2am worrying about a potential 40 day overstay!! I feel much better after hearing from you. Next time I'm checking all stamps on arrival regardless. :)

Matt, sorry mate but I think you are in the sh!te. Look at this from the Thai consulate website:-

ALL VISAS

Please note that if you remain in Thailand beyond the “admitted until” date in your passport you may be detained.

Please note that a visa entitles the holder to travel to Thailand and request admission to enter the country. The visa does not automatically guarantee entry in to Thailand. Entry is granted only at the discretion of the Immigration Officer on duty at the point of entry in to Thailand.

Now, I don't want to keep you awake worrying but it obviously needs sorting out. I KNOW there are brighter people on ThaiVisa.com who understand these things and I am sure their will be members who have experienced the same thing - and got round it :D .

I was always told to check the 'admitted until' before leaving the airport - your situation will be a reminder for me to do just that.

Good luck.

oh c'mon, i am sure he will be ok, the only problem he might get into is another lazy monkey that just miss his VALID AND PAID FOR VISA, so just help the distract guys to do their job properly wouldn't you? or they might even try to get a fat tip from you just because they can't see you have everything in order, during one of my renewal an officer was insisting that he could provide the stamp even if i didn't had the funds deposited at the bank as required, for 15k instead of the normal 4k(roughly), however, i kept repeating that the passbook was CLEARLY showing much more of what was required by law and for much longer time of what is required too, so, just stay on focus...and smile :)

oh c'mon, i am sure he will be ok, the only problem he might get into is another lazy monkey that just miss his VALID AND PAID FOR VISA, so just help the distract guys to do their job properly wouldn't you? or they might even try to get a fat tip from you just because they can't see you have everything in order, during one of my renewal an officer was insisting that he could provide the stamp even if i didn't had the funds deposited at the bank as required, for 15k instead of the normal 4k(roughly), however, i kept repeating that the passbook was CLEARLY showing much more of what was required by law and for much longer time of what is required too, so, just stay on focus...and smile :)

I too really hope so and I am sure the matter can be resolved.

However, I renewed my Non O Visa this week and I recall seeing the fairly stark warning about the 'admitted until' date. I also remember being told that is this date that controls everything - the Visa expiry date is irrelevant.

I am not trying to scaremonger but I think Matt needs to get down to Immigration asap - which in fairness he is trying to do in Ubon.

Please note that a visa entitles the holder to travel to Thailand and request admission to enter the country. The visa does not automatically guarantee entry in to Thailand. Entry is granted only at the discretion of the Immigration Officer on duty at the point of entry in to Thailand.

Entry was granted and the Immigration Officer obviously made a mistake. I don't think this policy applies to visa holders inconvenienced by incorrect entry stamping.

When you arrive it's a good idea to bookmark your visa with the arrival card. It's not always easy for busy immigration officers to spot visas in busy passports.

Entry was granted and the Immigration Officer obviously made a mistake. I don't think this policy applies to visa holders inconvenienced by incorrect entry stamping.

When you arrive it's a good idea to bookmark your visa with the arrival card. It's not always easy for busy immigration officers to spot visas in busy passports.

Maybe one day I, or others, may be in the same position. One very important question:-

Is it just a simple case of going to the Immigration Office, pointing out your Visa stamp and explaining that the officer made a mistake ?

...Is it just a simple case of going to the Immigration Office, pointing out your Visa stamp and explaining that the officer made a mistake ?

Yes, it is. You don't have to go to Bangkok for it; just go to the nearest immigration office. Here's the address for the office in Ubon Ratchathani:

ด่านตรวจคนเข้าเมือง

26 ถ.สถิตย์มานกาล

ต.พิบูลมังสาหาร

อ.พิบูลมังสาหาร

จ.อุบลราชธานี 34110

Immigration Office

26 Sathit Niman Kan Rd.

Tambon Phibun Mangsahan

Amphoe Phibun Mangsahan

Changwat Ubon Ratchathani 34110

Phone: 0 4544 1108

On Google Maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?source=s_q&...0b61e85e55fc769

--

Maestro

Let me give a tad bit of advice to everyone who goes through an Immigration checkpoint anywhere in the world (not just Thailand).

People do make mistakes. ALWAYS check the stamp you receive in your passport from the Immigrations officer before leaving any Immigration checkpoint. It only takes a few seconds and may save you hours (or days) of headaches in the future.

UKMatt. You could immediatly cross a border to, say Laos or Cambodia. Remember you still have an unused valid visa, then re-enter using the original visa, if the "enter before/valid until" date has not passed. But this way you will be up for 500 Baht per day for your overstays. I think it to a max of 20,000 Baht. But if its to many overstays days, you dont get back in (even if you have a unused visa), as happened to my friend at the Poipet/Aranyapethet border.

Remember even if you are only 1 day overstay, and you are stopped for ID/passport check before the border, you could be detained, as you are in Thailand without a valid visa. In this case the fine is 40,000 Baht detained until paid.

UKMatt. You are on overstay. Get down to Immigration on Monday and sort it out.

They may well let you off the fine.

BTW you applied for your Visa far too early as it becomes valid on the day it is issued and you have lost 2 months stay.

BTW you applied for your Visa far too early as it becomes valid on the day it is issued and you have lost 2 months stay.

I am surprised - is this a recent development ? When I entered on tourist visa issued in Canada, I always applied at least 60 days before. My visa had a 'Use by ...' date, and was valid for the full period starting on the date of arrival.

Same thing happened to our son... we went to the Jomtien Immigration, but they told us to go to Bangkok Immigration (not sure the name) to have it corrected. Yes they have a special counter "Wrong Stamp". The funny thing was after they put a new stamp (thank GOD I checked) - the new stamp was also wrong... TIT

Edited by whatchamacallit

Same thing happened to our son... we went to the Jomtien Immigration, but they told us to go to Bangkok Immigration (not sure the name) to have it corrected. Yes they have a special counter "Wrong Stamp". The funny thing was after they put a new stamp (thank GOD I checked) - the new stamp was also wrong... TIT

So the counter is named appropriately then :)

Sunny

So you're saying that I'm ok because I have a Visa stamp in my passport dated for January and the wrong entry stamp was March, so I am entitled to the 90 days my Visa allows?

I just need to get the stamp corrected, is that right?

How can I do this in Ubon Ratchathani? I am planning to do a border crossing in a few weeks (which is why tonight I discovered this) so can this be taken care of then? I'd rather sort it out asap for peace of mind if possible.

That is why you always have to double check before leaving the immigration desk at the border or airport. Happened to me at Cambodia crossing, I pointed out I had a visa and they changed the dates right there. If you are going out anyway just use your visa for the next entry, it won't have been marked as used yet. Each time a visa is used they make a notation.

I am surprised - is this a recent development ? When I entered on tourist visa issued in Canada, I always applied at least 60 days before. My visa had a 'Use by ...' date, and was valid for the full period starting on the date of arrival.

A Multi Entry Non Imm Visa is valid from date of issue and gives unlimited entries for a period of 12 months.

If you do not make your first entry until 2 months after issue you only get 10 months of unlimited entries.

Time it right and it can be stretched out to 15 months by doing the last entry just before it expires.

A Multi Entry Non Imm Visa is valid from date of issue and gives unlimited entries for a period of 12 months.

If you do not make your first entry until 2 months after issue you only get 10 months of unlimited entries.

Time it right and it can be stretched out to 15 months by doing the last entry just before it expires.

The OP never mentioned that he got a multi-entry.

I assume that a single entry is valid for entry to Thailand within 3 months of issue?

The OP never mentioned that he got a multi-entry.

I assume that a single entry is valid for entry to Thailand within 3 months of issue?

Correct he did not. :)

This is from the Hull Website.

The Non-Immigrant Visa is available with either a single entry or with multiple entries. The single entry visa has a validity of three months from date of issue. The multiple entry visa has a validity of twelve months from date of issue. On arrival in Thailand each entry allows a stay of maximum 90 days. All entries must be made within the validity of the visa.

Yes my Visa is multiple entry, I got it 2 months too early because we had planned to return to Thailand at the end of January but ended up staying 2 more months on holiday with my gf in UK.

Tomorrow will be 40 days of overstay according to my Entry Stamp, so I'd rather not chance any border crossings but I will be going to the Ubon Immigration office that Maestro informed me of, I'd rather not have to go to Bangkok explicitly to get this corrected but if's that's what must be done I will.

And yes, of course it's totally my own fault for not check at the airport or until now, I did hand my passport to the immigration offer opened at the visa page but I have no excuse for not verfying the visa was used. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I had to write the Visa number on the arrival card, right?

Thanks very much for all your help, I'll let you know how I resolve this (or if I'm absent tomorrow night it means I'm in clink!)

Agree with Lite Beer. Same thing happened to me when I came into Suvarnabhumi first time, luckily I noticed about a week later and although it was a pain I got the stamp rectified at immigration in Wattana BKK. I was in BKK at time so it cost me taxi fares and about 3 hours of my time to get it changed. I would advise definately rectifying it before you do your first border run as it is the actual stamp that is taken into consideration not the visa, I asked this question at the time. I think you will have to go to the main office in BKK, I hope for your sake this is not the case and it can be sorted in Ubon. Remember to take a photocopy of your passport with you as immigration will charge you 30BHT for the privilage. You may also have to pay them fee for overstay, my advice would be to stay sweet and calm and they 'may' let you off this. Don't queue, just go straight to the desk which is in a small room on the far right of the main office and do not go when they have their lunch, it can take forever waiting.

Needless to say I always check and double check my new stamp now when doing my border runs.

That Immigration in Ubon is about 2 hours from where I am.

I'm tempted to go to BKK airport today/tonight and go to this "wrong stamp" desk as I'm sure they will be more than aquainted with my situtation and probably be more helpful compared to the immigration at Ubon.

As I'm 40 days over my stamp already I really don't want to get collared with a 20k penalty, if I can avoid it by going to BKK and getting this rectified there I might do that.

I'm positive I wrote my visa number on the arrival card so if they wanted to check that I'm sure they would more likely have the facility to in BKK than Ubon too.

It's the fact that I've already overstayed the stamp in my passport that is worrying me even though I had a valid visa.

^^ What would worry me about that, is once you are on overstay, I think that your visa is automatically cancelled for future entries. So you might have to do a Laos/ Cambodia run anyway.

^^ What would worry me about that, is once you are on overstay, I think that your visa is automatically cancelled for future entries. So you might have to do a Laos/ Cambodia run anyway.

He has a Non-imm O multi so I think this will not be the case. Stop trying to scare the guy, he's worried enough.... He'll get it sorted, it happens all of the time, hence them having a desk dedicated to the rectification of wrong stamps.

As I'm 40 days over my stamp already I really don't want to get collared with a 20k penalty, if I can avoid it by going to BKK and getting this rectified there I might do that.

I think the best move is to go to BKK Immigration - and YES they're probably more helpful and better to handle this.

You have a valid visa - it's the officer at the airport that gave you the wrong stamp - so be polite and just go to the "Wrong Visa" counter and just tell him you have the wrong stamp. Don't even mention that you have overstayed based on that wrong stamp. I'm sure it will be just fine. It's a simple mistake. Good Luck.

I wasn't trying to scare. Just in my experience immigration seem to consider overstay as 'all bets are off- you need to get a new visa'. Mind you, my experience has been with people with b's not o's- I had missed that the OP has an 'O'- apologies to all. Anyway, I don't really see what's so scary about popping to a neighbouring country for a couple of days?

I wasn't trying to scare. Just in my experience immigration seem to consider overstay as 'all bets are off- you need to get a new visa'. Mind you, my experience has been with people with b's not o's- I had missed that the OP has an 'O'- apologies to all. Anyway, I don't really see what's so scary about popping to a neighbouring country for a couple of days?

I think it's the getting back into Thailand that he's more worried about.