Valid Bank Letters?

I am in the process of renewing my marraige visa which has been an absolute disaster this year for various reasons discussed on previous threads. However i am almost there, although yesterday i hit another hurdle i had to get over. The bank letter i submitted in support of my marraige visa was 12 days old i was under the impression it could be up to 1 month old but the immigration officer advised me it could be no more than 7 days old, prior to submitting in support of the new visa application. I have now got a new letter but i have had no end of obstructing information from this particular guy that i would be interested if he is correct.

So my question is ..... How old can the bank letter be when submitting it for a new visa application?

Or does this just vary from one immigration office to another?

I'm not aware of a formal/posted/applies to all immigration office policy; but they probably have some guidance from HQ immigration. I'm sure the visa experts will provide details soon. I think it varies from office to office but 7 days sounds reasonable. Getting a same day letter is kinda tough especially if you start standing in line for the immigration office to open at 8:30am...probably before the bank opens which can be many kilometers away...but I've heard of some offices wanting a same day letter. Here in Bangkok, I shoot to get my income letter the day before I visit immigration.

From knowledge gained on TVF the letter should be dated the same day that you visit immigration, plus a copy of your bank book updated the same day.

Well i have been in Thailand 6 years now. This is my 6th application and never known them this strict before! Same day letter (400,000 baht)is not practical as my bank (ayuttha) tends to require 3 working days to produce it! The branch on the campus of the main immigration office in Chang wattana road sometimes produce it on the spot, but as i live in Samutprakan i have to go to the Samutprakan office so more difficult. It is all very petty in my opinion but mia pen rai ( t.i.t) we just have to go along with it with a smile on our faces!!!

There appear to be some immigration offices that want the bank letter to be dated on the date of application for the extension of stay. In your case, the immigration officer told you that it has to be dated within seven days from the application.

The important thing for you to know is that the date of the bank letter must be identical with the date of the last balance shown in your bank book. This means that you must make a transaction -- deposit or withdrawal -- immediately before you get your bank letter.

--

Maestro

7 days sounds right to me.

Same day is just anti-falang nonsense.

I think most of the time, for all applications it depends on how you get on with the official, and how he/she is feeling on the day as whether 'rules' can be 'bent'. Yesterday i applied for my 1 year marraige visa, it was declined because i forgot to bring the original copy of my marriage certificate. Today i went back again submitted exactly the same application, it was agreed and the same person did not ask to see the original certificate even though i did have it just in case he asked!?? ( T.I.T) . It's amazing how a small gift ( fruit, coffee etc) can pave the way for a successful application!!

7 days sounds right to me.

Same day is just anti-falang nonsense.

I think most of the time, for all applications it depends on how you get on with the official, and how he/she is feeling on the day as whether 'rules' can be 'bent'. Yesterday i applied for my 1 year marraige visa, it was declined because i forgot to bring the original copy of my marriage certificate. Today i went back again submitted exactly the same application, it was agreed and the same person did not ask to see the original certificate even though i did have it just in case he asked!?? ( T.I.T) . It's amazing how a small gift ( fruit, coffee etc) can pave the way for a successful application!!

So you bribed them? What was it the fruit or the coffee, please share with us.

Do what I did and open a savings a/c in a bank directly under the Immigration office in Chaengwattana cpmplex. Most major banks (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Thai, Bank of Ayutthaya, Siam Commercial etc) have branches there. Go to your bank and get a letter there and then on the spot for B100 while waiting in the Immigration queue. Easy and dated the same day. :)

Do what I did and open a savings a/c in a bank directly under the Immigration office in Chaengwattana cpmplex. Most major banks (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Thai, Bank of Ayutthaya, Siam Commercial etc) have branches there. Go to your bank and get a letter there and then on the spot for B100 while waiting in the Immigration queue. Easy and dated the same day. :)

Cuchulainn,

Brilliant - Everyone is happy with your solution - I especially like the part of saving time while in line.

Do yourself a favor and simply save yourself the headaches with supplying bank papers. Save your money and buy a ticket to Jakarta, Indonesia and visit the Thai Consulate and they will happily place a spousal "O" visa in your passport with just proof of marriage, a utility bill the two of you share, a visa photo, a copy of your wife's ID card or Tambian Baan, and USD $160.00. Park yourself in a nice hotel for 3 days, enjoy the nightlife and then fly home worry free.....

kind of a sh*tty situation to have to prove income 66x the monthly wages of a thai average person (6000 baht month salary)

and get the bank letter the same day, while the bank only produce such a letter 3 working days later

one officer ask this, the other one that...

also did last month... f*cked up when they suddenly ask for a paper they never asked before...

spend all day running from one location to another...

as if we have nothing better to do with our time

Do what I did and open a savings a/c in a bank directly under the Immigration office in Chaengwattana cpmplex. Most major banks (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Thai, Bank of Ayutthaya, Siam Commercial etc) have branches there. Go to your bank and get a letter there and then on the spot for B100 while waiting in the Immigration queue. Easy and dated the same day. :D

Yes - same situation - opened an account underneath at SCB, then transferred in the funds, then got their certified letter at the cost of 1,000 Baht and all done. But what a quagmire of crap and hoops to jump through. Nothing changes. :)

We did the Thai wife extension for the first time this year. I used an account with the GHB, and they would only give a letter stating my balance at the end of the last banking day- so I could only get a letter with the date the day before. That was OK with immigration Chaeng Wattana- we were told within a week was OK. They did want to see the bankbook updated, and I deposited some money at the bank to get an updated statement.

As for variation between immigration offices, I expect there is. We took 5 visits to get it. The first time, we went with the documents we thought we'd need having had a look on the internet. We were told we couldn't apply that day by the immigration official. She told us some other documents we needed. We came back with those documents, and were dealt with by a different official. He allowed us to proceed with our application, but told us we had to bring some other documents the next day. My wife went back the next day with what he asked for. Later, we got a call from him saying his boss wanted some more documents, and we had to bring them, and we did. The fifth visit was to get the visa, and we had to wait 3 or 4 hours for that. At no time were we given any official list of required documents. Still, a happy ending and we'll be better informed for next time.

Do yourself a favor and simply save yourself the headaches with supplying bank papers. Save your money and buy a ticket to Jakarta, Indonesia and visit the Thai Consulate and they will happily place a spousal "O" visa in your passport with just proof of marriage, a utility bill the two of you share, a visa photo, a copy of your wife's ID card or Tambian Baan, and USD $160.00. Park yourself in a nice hotel for 3 days, enjoy the nightlife and then fly home worry free.....

Hi and welcome. This post stands out as a lateral way of getting the precious 1-year marriage visa - IF that is what is the result. Is it 100% that you achieved the same status in THAI official eyes as the routine immigration office process ? As a less-experienced member, I would really like to see 'veteran' members' responses to this unusual method of getting the visa - nobody has commented on Oracle2010's contribution at this point.

Yes - same situation - opened an account underneath at SCB, then transferred in the funds, then got their certified letter at the cost of 1,000 Baht and all done. But what a quagmire of crap and hoops to jump through. Nothing changes.

===============================================

Your letter cost a grand!!??:)

Edited by Cuchulainn