Had 150,000 Baht Taken From Me

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounded plausable up to the point of withdrawing 149,625 from ATMs on a Friday night. Every bank that I know of limits the daily withdrawal for protection, even major credit cards. BBK is 20,000 B/day not per ATM. My Visa card, 500.00$ = 20,000B/day.

This sounded plausable up to the point of withdrawing 149,625 from ATMs on a Friday night.  Every bank that I know of limits the daily withdrawal for protection, even major credit cards.  BBK is 20,000 B/day not per ATM. My Visa card, 500.00$ = 20,000B/day.

I don't recall him saying that. Only that he paid that amount. I would assume an experienced smuggler would be carrying a lot of cash in the event he was caught. :D

We also don't know how many cards might have been involved or if he might have a local account where a lot more than 20k could be obtained. So would not rule it out on the money issue. And from some other threads lately might not rule it out on other grounds either. :o

No did not declare them, but for god sake man 150,000 baht is well over 2000 pounds for a few poxy cigs. I am in shock.

:o

I'm still not sure that this is a valid post or a troll.

Anyhow, I think you knew the value of the cigs in Thailand. You brought 50 cartons. Did you intend to smoke 50 cartons?

I think you clearly intended to profit on resale of the cigs.

So the Thais caught you smuggling cigs.....too bad.

Seems like you got caught in a sweep by the customs.

Sorry about that. But I'm sure you intended to make a profit. Bad luck, but you have to take the penalty for the foul you commited.

:D

Do we have a ###### of the Decade Award ? :D

One Born every minute :o:D

There is the 'Darwin Awards'

I Vote for troll, or very foolish. An extra 50 cartons of smokes would certianly add some bulk to your luggage

I agree with both statements --- A rough calculation indicates the area required for 50 cartons is 0.050 M3. That is more area than the biggest suitcase I travel with 0.044 M3 --- 55cm x 40cm x 20cm

Must be a troll then.  :D

Seems like that's the general consensus... :D OP hasn't posted since.. :o

totster :D

Would you post again, if real; after not getting all the sympathy he expected here? :D

If the other post of a border crossing fine is true this would well be a crackdown as fags currently seem to be high on the "get ride of" list.

I really believe there are some dumb folks around. :D

This sounded plausable up to the point of withdrawing 149,625 from ATMs on a Friday night.  Every bank that I know of limits the daily withdrawal for protection, even major credit cards.  BBK is 20,000 B/day not per ATM. My Visa card, 500.00$ = 20,000B/day.

Kasikorn withdrawal limit is Bht 100,000.00 / day but only in Bht 10,000.00 increments.

I decline to answer the OP as it may make me look more stupid than I really am.

Kasikorn withdrawal limit is Bht 100,000.00 / day but only in Bht 10,000.00 increments.

I decline to answer the OP as it may make me look more stupid than I really am.

I took out 400,000 thousand baht a month ago. 200,000 from my account and 200,000 from my wifes. Kasigorn(Thai Farmers) Siam Square.

At the BKK Bank you can take out as much as you want from the ATM, but only at something like bt25,000 at a time... but no daily limit..  :D

totster  :o

My Bangkok Bank ATM card has a daily withdrawal limit of 100,000 baht. Most machines will dispense 20,000 baht at a time, unless they are out of 1,000 notes (in which case they will dispense only 10,000 baht a time).

At the BKK Bank you can take out as much as you want from the ATM, but only at something like bt25,000 at a time... but no daily limit..  :D

My Bangkok Bank ATM card has a daily withdrawal limit of 100,000 baht. Most machines will dispense 20,000 baht at a time, unless they are out of 1,000 notes (in which case they will dispense only 10,000 baht a time).

Ah.. I wasn't sure about the limits... don't think I've got a daily limit though... I'm sure I withdrew more than bt100,000... could be wrong though :D

totster :D

1. Bangkok Bank normal (Bualuang) ATM card has a daily limit of 50,000 baht.

2. Bangkok Bank Bualuang Premier ATM card has a daily limit of 150,000 baht.

3. Bangkok Banks ATM will provide 25 bills be they 1,000 or 500 so you can get 25k or 12.5k per withdrawal.

with my usuall 50 cartons of cigarretes of malbrough lights.

Above puts a completely different light on the story. Usual means he did it all the time, so it's his g00damn right.... :o

BTW, just heart from a customs broker in Hamburg/Germany.

6 years in jail for smuggling Marlboros. OK, probably a bit more than 50 Cartons.

You know reading some of the replys on here i have come to realise how many real idiots there are on this board, there are many good people but some real fools as well. I travel regually to thailand and am lucky enough to be able to afford it. The reason i posted this topic was because i though it was a very excessive sum of money for a small amount of cigarretes, I have done this before and did not at all realise i was breaking any law here in thailand, last time i brought the cigarretes in cambodia and the customs man x-rayed them and let me through no problem so how am i supposed to know it was illegal. As for the people whom think i am a troll, i am not, i learnt a very expensive lesson and to the fool who says try taking them through heathrow i have done before and had them confiscated but not arrested. I am glad i was not thrown into bang wang and it seems i was in the wrong so as for now i will except it. Seems to be some peasants here as i can draw a lot of money out of atms and because you dont have the means of funds yourselves so you think i am a troll! 20,000 a card i have a lot of cards, and also my hsbc card allows a 1000 uk pounds a day, i drew 60,000 on that in 3 withdrawls. Any how i was not looking for sympathy i just wanted to know that i was ripped off, to be completly honest i thought i was going to be murdered when i was being driven down dead end roads by chaps with guns. As i have said i learnt a very expensive lesson and i still have my freedom and life, just a very lightened wallet!

Maybe the non believers need to get out a bit more.

I know a youngish fella who was involved with cigs into UK..

A vanload / truckload was caught and he was fingered despite not being there.. UK customs and excise have nabbed a 400 - 500 GBP house and 280k in bank accounts that was inherited (provable).. He is now wanted and persona non grata...

So now he has lost 680 - 780 k GBP and is looking at time etc.. They dont care that he can prove that the home was not bought from cig profits and he is trying to get legal assistance remote without facing the stretch..

So try it back home.. 'Just some cigs'

Correct me if I am wrong you pay the duty on said fags - should be able to keep em.  I know I've sent ciggies to blighty for me uncle and he got a letter from customs... u can either pay duty or forfeit.

This is not a case of paying duty for declared goods. He did not declare anything so was fined. He was caught smuggling. Goods were seized and he was fined.

You know reading some of the replys on here i have come to realise how many real idiots there are on this board, there are many good people but some real fools as well. I travel regually to thailand and am lucky enough to be able to afford it. The reason i posted this topic was because i though it was a very excessive sum of money for a small amount of cigarretes, I have done this before and did not at all realise i was breaking any law here in thailand, last time i brought the cigarretes in cambodia and the customs man x-rayed them and let me through no problem so how am i supposed to know it was illegal. As for the people whom think i am a troll, i am not, i learnt a very expensive lesson and to the fool who says try taking them through heathrow i have done before and had them confiscated but not arrested. I am glad i was not thrown into bang wang and it seems i was in the wrong so as for now i will except it. Seems to be some peasants here as i can draw a lot of money out of atms and because you dont have the means of funds yourselves so you think i am a troll! 20,000 a card i have a lot of cards, and also my hsbc card allows a 1000 uk pounds a day, i drew 60,000 on that in 3 withdrawls. Any how i was not looking for sympathy i just wanted to know that i was ripped off, to be completly honest i thought i was going to be murdered when i was being driven down dead end roads by chaps with guns. As i have said i learnt a very expensive lesson and i still have my freedom and life, just a very lightened wallet!

Maybe the non believers need to get out a bit more.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=65