Nature

soohk

40 images, stacked focus using E-M1 new firmware, processed in Helicon focus.

That is amazing!!!

How on earth did you manage to get 40 images?

The latest firmware for the Olympus E-M1 provides a facility for focus bracketing. You define the number of shots you want (up to 999), define how much you want the focus to move between each shot, and then press the shutter. It then takes the requested number of shots at eighteen frames a second in silent mode (no noise to scare your subject!), then you merge them together in software. Much quicker and easier than the old method of doing it manually! Did a little write-up here:

http://www.pattayadays.com/2015/11/focus-stacking-using-e-m1-firmware-4-0/

The latest firmware for the Olympus E-M1 provides a facility for focus bracketing. You define the number of shots you want (up to 999), define how much you want the focus to move between each shot, and then press the shutter. It then takes the requested number of shots at eighteen frames a second in silent mode (no noise to scare your subject!), then you merge them together in software. Much quicker and easier than the old method of doing it manually! Did a little write-up here:

Thanks for the link.It's really quite mind blowing how far technology has advance.Can the E-M1 shoot 18 fps in normal mode also?

Thought my little Sony was fast being able to do 11 fps,no silent mode though,sounds like a bloomin machine gun.

How did you go about getting the moth shot, was it a hand held shot?

Note to everyone,I would highly recommend taking the time to go and visit FR's website,some very useful info over there!

• Like 2

The first photo is perfect! The second is out of focus/out of speed.

I really like those birds and hope you'll crop the photo further. Stubborn bastards whit their own minds. Just the way I like it.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the link.It's really quite mind blowing how far technology has advance.Can the E-M1 shoot 18 fps in normal mode also?

Thought my little Sony was fast being able to do 11 fps,no silent mode though,sounds like a bloomin machine gun.

How did you go about getting the moth shot, was it a hand held shot?

Note to everyone,I would highly recommend taking the time to go and visit FB's website,some very useful info over there!

Oops, that should read 11fps; that's in silent mode with no refocusing after the first shot (which doesn't matter because of course the camera is controlling the focus point when bracketing).

The moth was sat on the ground and showed no sign of moving so I had time to set up a tripod. Handheld focus bracketing is probably impossible given the minuscule differences in focus distance involved.

• Like 1