Riding Motorcycles With No Helmets Main Cause Of Death In Thailand

webfact

No helmets main cause of death

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Many minors under 15 rode motorcycles in Thailand when the law prohibited it, while 78.9 per cent of injured road accident victims resulted from them not wearing helmets followed by drunk driving at 31.6 per cent and speeding at 31.1 per cent, a recent survey revealed yesterday.

Many minors under 15 ride motorcycles in Thailand, although the law prohibits it, and 78.9 per cent of injuries result from failure to wear a helmet, a survey revealed yesterday. Drunk driving is the second highest injury cause, at 31.6 per cent, and speeding at 31.1 per cent,

Nurse Sirikul Kullieub from Khon Kaen Hospital's Emergency Centre said a survey of 1,200 motorcycle accident victims at 12 hospitals nationwide found many were young persons; 37 per cent aged between 19-30, 14.7 per cent between 15-18, and 7.1 per cent aged below 15. The youngest victim was nine and the eldest 82, she said.

Forty-three per cent admitted they had ridden a motorbike before they turned 15 and 54.3 per cent said they learned to ride on their own, putting them at greater risk.

The survey results will be used for proposals to the government for stricter traffic law enforcement, and for drivers' licences for 100cc motorbikes to be issued only to those over 18, she added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-04

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday as I was on a day trip into BKK we stopped for a snack next to a traffic stop.

The highway cops were walking out into the road every now and then to pull over cars and pickups for no obvious reason.

Every so often we watched as some cash was slipped into a back pocket.

Whilst all this was going on possibly hundreds of helmetless motorcyclists rode past the same checkpoint.

I just don't get it.

The government can enact all the laws they want, but they will be totally meaningless until the police actually start enforcing them. And until the "mind set" of Thai are changed in regards to wearing helmets, and allowing minors to drive.

Recently I saw 3 young boys on a Fino pull out of the parking lot of a middle school, which means none of them were old enough to legally drive. They went flying down the highway, weaving in and out of traffic and laughing, and soon disappeared from my sight. About 4 k down the road I saw the bike, and the boys, broken and bloody from where they had apparently sideswiped a car while trying to squeeze between it and a truck. One boy died at the scene, and I'm not sure what happened to the other two, but both were in serious condition.

Until parents are forced to prevent their minor children from riding motorbikes, and especially without helmets, this senseless carnage will continue. There is one solution, very simple, very easy to enforce, that would get this point across.

Put police at the entrance of a school, especially the middle schools. When school is out, stop every motorbike and check them for ID and license. Anyone without a license, or anyone not legally old enough to drive, is told to park the bike and call their parents. Inform the parents that it is a 5,000 baht fine to retrieve the bike. Record the license plate numbers, and if a second offense occurs, the fine is 10,000 baht.

For those who say: "It's the only way my child can get to school", that's crap! Many schools provide bus service, and every day I see hundreds of songtows transporting children to and from school, so I don't buy that.

But the bottom line is that until the BIB actually start enforcing the current laws, you can enact all the new ones you want, and it's a waste of time and effort.

The government can enact all the laws they want, but they will be totally meaningless until the police actually start enforcing them.

For those who say: "It's the only way my child can get to school", that's crap! Many schools provide bus service, and every day I see hundreds of songtows transporting children to and from school, so I don't buy that.

If you apply the law:their will be only 5% off the traffic !

95% is or: under aged,without ID ,no driver licence ,No taxi licence, no truck licence, no insurance,no plate,

no tax paid,driving a stolen vehikle,DRUNK, more drunk,drugged, driving with 5 on a "moto-sike",sitting with 20 in the back of a pickup,driving on the wrong lanes,against traffic, using exits to enter a motorway (the new 7 to pattaya!),driving with no lights ,lights too high,....................................the police can not enforce them because they to are in the 95% group !

If they could ?

Live would be paradise ,deserted roads ,exept for the thousants of bycicles in front of your car ?????

So ban the bycicles too, much too hard to drive drunk,or with 4 people on it ?.............dream dream.....

Main responsibility for the parents, allowing their kids to drive a motorbike, sometimes proudly smiling at the kid's exploit. And the teachers too, seeing everyday many underage boys coming to school with a bike, don't saying nothing (not my business). Last but not least, the strong, brave Thai police force, too much busy to make money to do some real service for the community

How do the BiB's fine or arrest people for recklessnes, pure and blunt stupidity and the general hero Attitude "i can" and well driving in disregard of all traffic rules and other people on the roads.

I have seen people lying on the bike, whole family, transporting goods which should be on a truck.... bikes which are "moderated" beyond any common sense, rear mirrors demounted...

compared not wearing a helmet is just part of a long list, added all up its unavoidable result is in the title of this thread - certain death!

Edited by Samuian

Even when wearing a helmet they forget to do the straps up, even Policemen. I have at first hand witnessed a motorcyclist have a helmet on and hit the kerb, his brains were splattered all over the place, just cause he was in a rush and did not do it up.

Laws in Thailand are there, but those in authority do nothing, a big overhaul of the system is required, but we will not see it happen in our lifetimes.

In Bangkok driver and pillion passenger have to wear a helmet, in the provinces it only seems to be the driver.

The law is nation wide. Both rider and pillion must wear helmets. Enforced in Chiang Mai (sometimes :) ). That said, I do see some towns and provinces where helmet use is much more common. These are the areas where the law is more rigorously enforced.

Boys, boys, wearing a helmet (or lack of) has nothing to do with the law. It's the weather. Put simply it's too hot to wear a helmet. Whats more important, keeping your head and hair from getting sweaty or disheveled or having your brains smeared across the main road. Your hair obviously.

TiT - Find the logical answer and then look for the excact opposite to hold true here.

As for the OP - Well, No shit sherlock, my hamster could have pointed that out.

The other night as I was crossing the street a Motor bike was coming down the road. I could hardly see it's head lite as they had the helmet in the basket in front of it.

The other day as I waited in my doctor's office on a main highway I watched as the police had a road block rite outside it. They seemed to have no system to what they were doing. Many motor bikes were stopped for no visual reason. Often a helmet less rider would go by while they had some one with a helmet stopped. There was no discernible pattern to what they were doing. :)

one step back; the lack of helmet is not a cause of death.

There has to be an accident first, and posters have covered the reasons for these.

Given the standard of a high % of helmets they would provide no more (possibly less) protection than my 1500baht cycle helmet does. Police wear plastic ones too, useless.

As for children riding bikes - we are rural; no bus service for some schools and yes under-age kids to ride motorbikes to school. I've been giving an 11 year old lessons, there's no chance she will ever get to take it on her own, she cycles 4km to school, but I'd rather give some decent lessons than have her learn by trial and error/accident.

In Bangkok driver and pillion passenger have to wear a helmet, in the provinces it only seems to be the driver.

The law is nation wide. Both rider and pillion must wear helmets. Enforced in Chiang Mai (sometimes :D ). That said, I do see some towns and provinces where helmet use is much more common. These are the areas where the law is more rigorously enforced.

I've noticed that in Udon Thani, especially near the university and army hospital compound, almost everyone on a bike wears a helmet. The BiB tend to plunk themselves down on that road quite a bit, and they are forever writing tickets - no taking tea money. It seems that Udon is one of the places where the law is enforced. Mind you, they still wear Tesco eggshell helmets, but that's better than nothing, though not by much :)

Now I'll hear from the residents who say I'm full of it :D Maybe - it's just anecdotal from my trips there. I reckon if it's obvious enough for me to notice, something must be happening.

On the basis that kids are not going to stop riding motorcycles, and if they use a bike everyday, it is essentially for transport to school, the school can take responsibility for compelling riders to wear helmets. Idiot kids riding like Valentino Rossi should be fined 5000 baht on the spot.

They get their nickers in a twist about the length of haircuts and socks being pulled up, but appear oblivious to the fact that the vast majority of kids riding to school are breaking the law (and being incredibly reckless) by not wearing helmets.

And you believe Yamaha wouldn't want to do government sponsored drivers "ed" in every school in the country?

Have asked a few people why they do not wears a helmet...

Over the years the answer is always the same, cost to much money :)

Maybe the best way would be that the Finance Companies could finance the bike + helmet ?

No idea the price of helmets here, but know someone that bought one in January this year cost 28,000 baht [she rides a Honda Wave the helmet is worth more than the bike] ... Now most of the bike around here cost around 40,000 baht new, that is under 1,500 per month finance, where would all these people get the money to buy a helmet?

Often see a Policeman from the next Village he rides a big Police Bike with the blue flashing lights fitted, his helmet is always on the handlebars..

Other than the postman [think is supplied by the Company] no one around here wear a helmet, not sure but would say 90% do not even own a helmet.

At the entrance of the next Village there are 20 Motorbike taxi's in there tent they have 4 helmets in case anyone wants to go on the main road.

one step back; the lack of helmet is not a cause of death.

There has to be an accident first, and posters have covered the reasons for these.

Given the standard of a high % of helmets they would provide no more (possibly less) protection than my 1500baht cycle helmet does. Police wear plastic ones too, useless.

As for children riding bikes - we are rural; no bus service for some schools and yes under-age kids to ride motorbikes to school. I've been giving an 11 year old lessons, there's no chance she will ever get to take it on her own, she cycles 4km to school, but I'd rather give some decent lessons than have her learn by trial and error/accident.

Have to agree on the quality of helmet thing, they won't save jack sh*t. And as far as the law goes, a construction hard hat is considered ok!

I live in a wee town in the sticks. Helmet use is mostly during the day. In the evenings, not many people wear them cos they don't have to, including myself. If i am going on a longer journey to the city i will wear a helmet. Once i drove to the evening market and there was a policemen sitting where i parked my bike. He asked me where my helmet was, i said i forgot it. He told me i was just like a Thai now. In the USA, where i have never been, i believe some states you don't have to wear a helmet, so it is not just a problem of the law being enforced, but educating the people in a country where motorcycle use is very high.

I have saw 4 people on motor bikes die in BKK in the last year ., 3 of then did not have helmets on.

By law, apparently, only the driver has to wear an helmet :D

Correct me if I am wrong.

Only rider has to wear helmet....driver don't need unless in the racing track :)

Edited by Dodobird

My GF's brother had an accident on his motorbike, he wasn't wearing a helmet and was quite hurt. In my country we have a saying "A golpes se aprende", roughly, you learn by being hit/hurt. So a few months later he had another motorbike accident but this time... nah, he wasn't wearing a helmet again. His head was horrible mangled and died after a few days in coma. I think he was 21 or 22, I can't recall exactly.

Point being, I just don't know how you can teach some people that's in their best interest to use a helmet if nearly being killed by not using it doesn't do it.

That motorbikes are used recklessly is obvious. The worse I've seen was two guys in a motorbike (no helmet of course), carrying a ladder about 4 or 5 meters long on their shoulders with their heads in between the steps; that was a double decapitation waiting to happen. And that was in the middle of Rama IX road, were cars usually go over 80 or 100 Km/h.

Yesterday as I was on a day trip into BKK we stopped for a snack next to a traffic stop.

The highway cops were walking out into the road every now and then to pull over cars and pickups for no obvious reason.

Every so often we watched as some cash was slipped into a back pocket.

Whilst all this was going on possibly hundreds of helmetless motorcyclists rode past the same checkpoint.

I just don't get it.

Sometimes they get cars sometimes bikes.. I have seen them hold onto bikes when there were enough cars offending so it really does not make much sense.