Dirty Beaches In Phuket At The Moment Dog Faeces & Garbage...

glassdude007

Loaded with garbage plastic bags and assorted waste products almost as if a garbage scow threw a load of trash over board and it all washed ashore ...

Way to Many Rude unleashed dogs and owners using the beach as there personal toilet ...

Filthy beach and soo sad to see this island turn into another Pattaya.....

what can be done ???? :)

i agree and the only fix is for the authorities to start to police litter , but it seems unlikely in the short term, look at the state of policing elsewhere .... crime , traffic etc ..... IMO if Phuket is to improve... the MAIN focus has to be on policing and enforcing the law . Farangs and Thais need to be prepared to pay the cost if the laws are broken no exceptions ... as for rubbish, people please every time you go to a seven eleven say NO to a plastic bag , they give them out like free sweets!It is a disgrace that the staff are not educated in the damage plastic does to the enviroment .....

Cheers CdM

Not sure if you guys are full time residents or vacationers, but this is typical for this time of year when the winds change directions.

Now that it is blowing on shore, all the garbage that is out there blows in.

As far as dog feces, I'll agree with you, people here tend not to pick up after their animals.

Loaded with garbage plastic bags and assorted waste products almost as if a garbage scow threw a load of trash over board and it all washed ashore ...
Well, it all washed ashore.

Am I missing something here? I walk my dogs on a 'locals' beach, close to Rawai every morning, and see LOTS of garbage washed ashore from presumably boats, EVERY day.

Yes, sometimes its worse than others, but it happens every day.

Meanwhile I rarely see dog mess from the local dogs as its broken down by the sun, sea and ants (?) v quickly - unlike the plastic rubbish bags and rubbish, its biodegradable and broken down v quickly.

You're seriously getting your priorities wrong....

i agree and the only fix is for the authorities to start to police litter , but it seems unlikely in the short term, look at the state of policing elsewhere .... crime , traffic etc ..... IMO if Phuket is to improve... the MAIN focus has to be on policing and enforcing the law . Farangs and Thais need to be prepared to pay the cost if the laws are broken no exceptions ... as for rubbish, people please every time you go to a seven eleven say NO to a plastic bag , they give them out like free sweets!It is a disgrace that the staff are not educated in the damage plastic does to the enviroment .....

Cheers CdM

I, on the other hand, will continue to accept plastic bags from 7/11s and any other store that offers them.

I will also continue to never throw them onto the street, beach, my garden or anywhere else for that matter. They will all end up in my big, black refuse bags.

If that's OK with you, CdM.

Am I missing something here? I walk my dogs on a 'locals' beach, close to Rawai every morning, and see LOTS of garbage washed ashore from presumably boats, EVERY day.

Meanwhile I rarely see dog mess from the local dogs as its broken down by the sun, sea and ants (?) v quickly - unlike the plastic rubbish bags and rubbish, its biodegradable and broken down v quickly.

In other words, you don't pick up your doggie's poo.

I would rather step on a discarded plastic bag with my bare feet than you dog's crap.

You should do the right thing and take it away with you as you would be made to do in any first world country.

On two occasions I have got a hookworm in my foot from dog crap on the beach here.

It's not very nice to see a worm living in your foot.

I am not anti dogs but they should not be allowed on the beach.

As low season arrives again all the arrogant dog owners around the Nai Harn area just ignore the dogs banned on the beach signs.

I used to like the Aussie guy who used to come to the beach with a handful 5 bht rockets and just let them off when people let their dogs crap on the beach.

I, on the other hand, will continue to accept plastic bags from 7/11s and any other store that offers them.

I will also continue to never throw them onto the street, beach, my garden or anywhere else for that matter. They will all end up in my big, black refuse bags.

If that's OK with you, CdM.

and where do you think the big black refuse bag full of plastic bags will end up ??? duh !!! in the ground possibly which will take 500 to 1000 years to decompose ..... i wonder what state this island will be in, come 50 years , what will future generations have to deal with because of this obsession with plastic bags ???

yes of course its OK with me , but surely it would be easier to say NO THANKS, i dont need a plastic bag for that can of coke i am about to drink and ditch as i leave the store ......

CdM

Well, it all washed ashore.

How about this?

Dog owner walking the dog on the beach, picks up one of the plastic bags washed ashore, and uses it to pick up dog poo and discard both in proper bin when leaving the beach.

Proverbial "two birds with one stone".

and where do you think the big black refuse bag full of plastic bags will end up ??? duh !!! in the ground possibly which will take 500 to 1000 years to decompose .....

CdM

500 to a 1000 years? I think you've been watching to much television. Try 5 to 10 years instead.

I would rather step on a discarded plastic bag with my bare feet than you dog's crap.

You should do the right thing and take it away with you as you would be made to do in any first world country.

can only presume you dont really think thailand is first world country whats the relavanse otherewise

As is said "If you want something done properly, you have to do it yourself" Do you actually think the metro authorities give a (forgive the pun "crap" ) about dog crap.

SeanPhuket

stevenl

grumpyoldman

starkey_rich

Grab a spade and a bag and "dig in"

Set an example for all

Edited by Pushit

can only presume you dont really think thailand is first world country whats the relavanse otherewise

Because F1fanatic is from a first world country. Why should she change accepted behaviour just because she is in a third world country.

You probably have been raised to not drop litter in the street. To do so in a third world country, just because you can get away with it is the height of hipocracy.

Do you understand now?

QUOTE (cdmtdm @ 2010-06-06 07:29:03) and where do you think the big black refuse bag full of plastic bags will end up ??? duh !!! in the ground possibly which will take 500 to 1000 years to decompose .....

CdM

500 to a 1000 years? I think you've been watching to much television. Try 5 to 10 years instead.

really ???? turn your tv off and read this Sean http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_quickly_will_a_plastic_bag_break_down just because it gets buried and you cannot see it does not mean its gone !!!!

<!--quoteo(post=3667865:date=2010-06-05 14:44:21:name=JetsetBkk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JetsetBkk @ 2010-06-05 14:44:21) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3667865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I, on the other hand, will continue to accept plastic bags from 7/11s and any other store that offers them.

If that's OK with you, CdM.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and where do you think the big black refuse bag full of plastic bags will end up ??? duh !!! in the ground possibly which will take 500 to 1000 years to decompose ..... i wonder what state this island will be in, come 50 years , what will future generations have to deal with because of this obsession with plastic bags ???

yes of course its OK with me , but surely it would be easier to say NO THANKS, i dont need a plastic bag for that can of coke i am about to drink and ditch as i leave the store ......

CdM

And what about all the other items that I buy? Am I supposed to hold them in my arms? - the ice-creams, the eggs, the milk, the bread...?

Landfills and incinerators are the governments problem, not mine.

I was at Nai Harn beach last week and I saw no trash, at least where I was and was swimming and very few dogs since there is a ban on dogs there now. I used to walk my dog there but haven't since the dog ban went into effect. But it's been rather stormy this week, so I haven't been swimming, and maybe the storms have washed stuff ashore. It happens every year at Nai Harn and Yanui. Guess I'll have to get on my motorbike and go have a look!

And what about all the other items that I buy? Am I supposed to hold them in my arms? - the ice-creams, the eggs, the milk, the bread...?

Landfills and incinerators are the governments problem, not mine.

take a bag that you can re use , if you consume it is your problem ,but based on your last point you do not have the intelligence to comprehend the magnitude of this plastic problem

really ???? Rather then listen to a wikipedia type website, I'd much prefer to believe something I have seen with my own eyes.

what did you sit and watch it for 5 to 10 years ??? maybe that bag was bio degradable , did you even read what i sent you ??? are you saying the scientists are wrong ??? if left in the sun it may breakup into smaller pieces and blow around the place but its till around and in the ground nothing will touch it ..........

QUOTE (F1fanatic @ 2010-06-05 14:45:43) Am I missing something here? I walk my dogs on a 'locals' beach, close to Rawai every morning, and see LOTS of garbage washed ashore from presumably boats, EVERY day.

You've got a point - in the UK I'd always pick up my dogs poo.

Here however it genuinely is different.

At first I used to pick it up (even though I don't have a bin of my own - I'm too remote for the garbage men to come here) until I realised that the tide washes it away twice a day. I know 'cos walking the dogs every day, neither their or the local dogs mess exists the next day.

Even in my garden, I used to conscientiously clear it up all the time until I was sick for a couple of days..... I went out to clear it up, only to find there was nothing there - the sun, ants etc. had cleared it up.

The chances of stepping on dog poo are v remote.... Meanwhile, I look at the rubbish on the beach every day in amazement (well, not any more - but I used to).

I also used to take a bag with me every day to clear up the broken glass and rubbish (worried that my dogs and anyone else would step on all the broken glass) - until I finally realised that even though I cleared it up every day, it would be as bad the next day.....

Edited by F1fanatic

Most of the garbage in the ocean and washing up on the beach is from the filthy canals/klongs that are being flushed out to sea every time there is a rainstorm. I wouldn't go swimming in the ocean at Phuket after a storm if I was paid.

General rule of thumb is to wait 72 hrs after a big storm before swimming. On days of heavy rain and brisk onshore wind it's not even a good idea to walk the shoreline. Just think of all the filth being flushed out all the way from Singapore up through Myanmar. Don't think that just because some beaches are less populated that they are any safer...the current quickly carries the mess from the worst places right around the headlands, strewing garbage and filth up/down the coast.

IMHO, dog crap, although unpleasant, is the least of our worries when it comes to the cleanliness of the beaches/ocean.

Meanwhile I <b>rarely</b> see dog mess from the local dogs as its broken down by the sun, sea and ants (?) v quickly - unlike the plastic rubbish bags and rubbish, its biodegradable and broken down v quickly.

So you are basicaly saying that you allow your dog(s) to shit on the beach.

I just got back from my motorbike ride to Nai Harn and Yanui. It was high tide, the sea was very rough and large surf over on that part of the island. I saw little trash on Nai Harn, A couple of plastic bottles. Plastic bottles in my opinion are much worse than plastic bags! The water from the klongs that gathers in Nai Harn "lake" hasn't breached the beach still. Yanui did have a bit of trash washed up, mostly plastic bottles, bamboo, rope and other plastic debris, used for fishing. I really didn't see any plastic bags. I guess they could have been blown away by the strong winds of the past few days. Rawai was pretty calm and people were sweeping up the debris from the trees...

Another Pattaya! Just look around, it’s not just the beaches it's every soi, every vacant piece of land, especially where new construction has started. Go to Bkk and look at the klongs, absolutely disgraceful. It's apparent to me Thai are such dirty untidy creatures. The ironic points are that the vast majority do not even realize it. It's more than sooooooooooooooooooo sad, it's a disgrace..

Another Pattaya! Just look around, it’s not just the beaches it's every soi, every vacant piece of land, especially where new construction has started. Go to Bkk and look at the klongs, absolutely disgraceful. It's apparent to me Thai are such dirty untidy creatures. The ironic points are that the vast majority do not even realize it. It's more than sooooooooooooooooooo sad, it's a disgrace..

I agree mostly. I see Thai's use any vacant land as a trash dump. I see them throw their trash out of car and bus windows and are generally continue to destroy this once beautiful environment. Waste water treatment? What's that? I live around native Phuket Thai's and they seem to take care of their land, gardens and even the sea. They are concerned by the over fishing and coral bleaching. My land lord's elder son is the president of The Rawai Long Tail Boat Association. and most of the others are immediate family and are part of that assn. My girlfriend is a neat freak. She's always cleaning and organizing things. I always have to ask where she put something away... So, there are exceptions...