Actual, Real Hotel Discounts

I am assuming that even though the Red Shirt occupancy has ended, hotel occupancy is still abnormally low in BKK - so, "special" discounts should be available.

But, when doing a google and using the results, "Agoda", etc and not actual hotels - rates shown seem to be "normal" discount rates (lengthy date ranges are shown indicating that "standard discount rates" that were developed some time ago are specified and any actual "specials" do not exist.

Any suggestions on how to get around "discounters" like agoda and get real specials that reflect actual occupancy (we all know an empty room brings in 0 revenue - so, there many empty rooms and true bargains must be available). But, unfortunately, I don't know how to find them.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated (for instance, I know a hotel I am interested in - how do I get the phone number for the hotel and how do I negotiate?).

Thanks

I got a good rate on Agoda, a suite in a 5 star hotel for the same price as Dynasty charges for a standard room.

What is your secret? I see nothing even close to this at Agoda - more like 3 or 4 times the rate of Dynasty. I would jump at a 5 star at Dynasty rates - please give me the name of the hotel and rate - and, if I find that hotel at that rate on Agoda I will book it. Again, I see nothing like this on Agoda, nothing even close to rates that would reflect low occupancy levels.

:D

Your assumption that there will be "special" rates is wrong.

Whether it makes sense or not, the 4 and 5 star hotels have already made assumptions about their revenue (i.e. number of tourists/rooms to be booked) for the year and season. They planned their spending and staffing on that assumed revenue. The rates are set of that assumption and determined in advance.

Any "special" deals (lower than normal discounts) will take time to work into the system. They simply can't/won't react immeadiately. Their accountants want "revenue projections"....so don't expect any special deals.

In regard to those offering hotel packages like Agoda...they purchase blocs of rooms from the hotels...that is they pre-rent (if there is such a word) a number of rooms from the hotels. Their rates are based upon a deal with the hotels...we gaurentee to take xxx number of rooms during the year/season for which we will pay xx per room. The fact that tourisit numbers drops after that doesn't allow them to offer more discounts because they have already agreed to pay the hotels based on that xxx number of rooms. That's why it takes time before any deeper discounts can come into the system. Again those accountants and their "revenue projections". They simply don't have the flexability to offer discounts any more quickly than they do.

Having said all that, the way to get the discounts is to go direct to the hotels and ask. They will probably simply say no...because their accountants expect that revenue projection to be still valid. However, you need to be persistant...because the hotels still have to pay their bills...and no money coming in doesn't pay their bills. But don't expect too much, because the hotels just look at you (the average tourist) as just a revenue source. No matter what else they say.

The fact is that the hotel "business" is a business first and foremost...not a "service" for tourists.

:)

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Prices go UP not down in Thailand in times like this. :D

That is quite true. When we inquired as to why prices were higher at the Grand China Princess we were told that it was due to the lack of occupants. Therefore, they were charging more to make up the difference. I shook my head in amazement and the gent at the desk said "TIT".... :)

:D

Your assumption that there will be "special" rates is wrong.

Whether it makes sense or not, the 4 and 5 star hotels have already made assumptions about their revenue (i.e. number of tourists/rooms to be booked) for the year and season. They planned their spending and staffing on that assumed revenue. The rates are set of that assumption and determined in advance.

Any "special" deals (lower than normal discounts) will take time to work into the system. They simply can't/won't react immeadiately. Their accountants want "revenue projections"....so don't expect any special deals.

In regard to those offering hotel packages like Agoda...they purchase blocs of rooms from the hotels...that is they pre-rent (if there is such a word) a number of rooms from the hotels. Their rates are based upon a deal with the hotels...we gaurentee to take xxx number of rooms during the year/season for which we will pay xx per room. The fact that tourisit numbers drops after that doesn't allow them to offer more discounts because they have already agreed to pay the hotels based on that xxx number of rooms. That's why it takes time before any deeper discounts can come into the system. Again those accountants and their "revenue projections". They simply don't have the flexability to offer discounts any more quickly than they do.

Having said all that, the way to get the discounts is to go direct to the hotels and ask. They will probably simply say no...because their accountants expect that revenue projection to be still valid. However, you need to be persistant...because the hotels still have to pay their bills...and no money coming in doesn't pay their bills. But don't expect too much, because the hotels just look at you (the average tourist) as just a revenue source. No matter what else they say.

The fact is that the hotel "business" is a business first and foremost...not a "service" for tourists.

Well, where is Captain Kirk when you need him? One time I used priceline.com in the US and stayed in a Marriott, I "offered a ridiculously low amount and was accepted. Later, sitting in the hot tub and talking with another customer, I found he had paid 5 times the amount I paid!!

The simplest way to get a discounted hotel room is to ask a Thai person to book the room for you. They speak the language.

I stay in a very modest Saphan Kwai hotel in Bangkok. My partner books for us. The rate is 65% of the advertised rate.

Peter

the bi g 5 star resorts are quite hard to get walk in discounts they all want you to book through latestays etc howvever they do normally have special thai prices i normally look up lastminute,latestays etc and then walk in or ring with an offer a little below the internet price last 4 weeks i have stayed

hilton phuket 2,000 anight

ayara khoa lak 1,000 anight

buri tara ao nang 1,100 anight

all these prices including breakfast for 2 people bargains i think i love thailand low season :):D

The 5 star hotels have specials for Thais and Expat Residents, if you fit that category.

EG: Peninsula 3000bt++ bed and breakfast with extra benefits until July 31.

Wonderful, I am an expat and have been living in Thailand 5 years (currently Khon Kaen). So, thanks for the info but, HOW DO i GET THESE WONDERFUL RATES? :)

the bi g 5 star resorts are quite hard to get walk in discounts they all want you to book through latestays etc howvever they do normally have special thai prices i normally look up lastminute,latestays etc and then walk in or ring with an offer a little below the internet price last 4 weeks i have stayed

hilton phuket 2,000 anight

ayara khoa lak 1,000 anight

buri tara ao nang 1,100 anight

all these prices including breakfast for 2 people bargains i think i love thailand low season :D:D

i am very happy for you - PLEASE, PLEASE PM me with URL you are using for these wonderful deals. :)

QUOTE (waza @ 2010-06-06 00:55:32) I got a good rate on Agoda, a suite in a 5 star hotel for the same price as Dynasty charges for a standard room.

What is your secret? I see nothing even close to this at Agoda - more like 3 or 4 times the rate of Dynasty. I would jump at a 5 star at Dynasty rates - please give me the name of the hotel and rate - and, if I find that hotel at that rate on Agoda I will book it. Again, I see nothing like this on Agoda, nothing even close to rates that would reflect low occupancy levels.

I got the

President Solitaire Hotel, Bangkok, Premier suite for 1600 baht. While the Dynasty is 1480 for the standard and 1600 for the superior. Nana Hotel is 1490 for the standard.

Hmmm I may have exagerated slightly.

Edited by waza

i am very happy for you - PLEASE, PLEASE PM me with URL you are using for these wonderful deals

As someone who has owned a (small) hotel in Thailand for several years, I can tell you that there is no URL. It is down to you to call each hotel directly, speak Thai with the receptionist, and ask for a special price. Many hotels operate different rates for Thais (the wonderful dual-pricing scheme), and even if you are not Thai, your ability to speak Thai will help no end to barter a discount.

I'd say that the 5 stars will not barter, for the reasons stated in previous comments. But 3 stars - go for it!

Simon

The simplest way to get a discounted hotel room is to ask a Thai person to book the room for you. They speak the language.

I stay in a very modest Saphan Kwai hotel in Bangkok. My partner books for us. The rate is 65% of the advertised rate.

Peter

Yes my wife books the hotel under her name while we are in Bangkok, she has a Thai Passport and receives Thai residence rate ..up to 50% off sawadee rate..however we have found that booking needs to be made not too far out from arrival

Have to go to Bkk for a couple of nights later this week so just booked Pantip Court on Sathorn Soi 1, which gets rave reviews on Tripadvisor, for 1,785B/night. Huge 97sqm, 1 bed apartment inc breakfast, free internet, free shuttle to BTS etc.

Hope Land Hotel in pra khanong is really good. Its a four star hotel, really new. And has two english guys working there so communication is never a problem. A standard room is still top draw (cant really comment about the others as did not stay in them). One of the English guys works in the sales, and if u speak or email him, will cut u a discount really easily. Best thing was i could just talk freely to him and got everything i expected with nothing lost in translation.

Prices go UP not down in Thailand in times like this. :D

That is quite true. When we inquired as to why prices were higher at the Grand China Princess we were told that it was due to the lack of occupants. Therefore, they were charging more to make up the difference. I shook my head in amazement and the gent at the desk said "TIT".... :)

If people choose to stay away from Bangkok because they feel concerned about safety, I doubt lower room rates would attract that many additional guests to a hotel.

In any event, if you have 50 rooms occupied at B 5000 per night (as an example), getting 60 rooms occupied at B 4000 or B3000 per night isn't going to generate any more revenue.

And, not to sound too snobby, if people choose to stay at one of the better hotels because of the ambience and service, and they are willing to pay for that, trying to swamp the place with backpackers and tour bus loads of people drawn by bargain rates will damage the reputation of the hotel to its cost in the long run.

Edited by Suradit

Peter

Yes my wife books the hotel under her name while we are in Bangkok, she has a Thai Passport and receives Thai residence rate ..up to 50% off sawadee rate..however we have found that booking needs to be made not too far out from arrival

Good idea. Have you encountered problems when arriving and having the credit card or payment being made by the non-Thai person? Although not your case, if the second person in the room is not marride to the Thai lady is that an issue as well? Seems hotel will lose when tourist and Thai take advantage and I wonder if people have encountered problems at check in.