Cutting Down Laundry Bills In Pattaya

giltoon

I've been living 4 years on-and-off in Pattaya, and just recently started to use those automatic laundry machines which can be found in some places in the city, and operated by coins (20-30-40 bahts).

They are great since they're available 24hrs, fast and far cheaper then all those laundry shops, which charges 10 baht for a T-shirt...

You only need to bring your own powder. Dirt cheap at any 7Eleven or FamilyMart.

The problem: All the 4 places that I know, and there must be much more, don't offer an automatic drying-machine service as well. They could be perfect with a drying service. Unfortunately I have no other choice than hanging my cloths inside my room until they dry (usually 10 hours with the fan on).

Does anyone know a place with automatic laundry machines + automatic drying-machine as well?

Thanks

Edited by giltoon

• 3 weeks later...

This post just caught my eye because I just picked up my laundry from the local market. I take my clothes to a laundry with a dryer since I don't want my cotton socks and T-shirts stretched to become knee-shocks and skirts. Anyway, the charges were all reasonable- ironed shirt 25B, socks 5B, underwear 6B. Then came undershirts 20Bt?!? I got a really big bill because of the undershirts!

Anyway, I would love to find a self wash place with a dryer. Then I would probably just do my socks and T-shirts myself (cotton) and take other stuff to cheaper laundry "sun-dry". Only socks and T-shirts can stretch, other stuff is fine with sun-dry method.

Any public dryers or place that doesn't charge 20Bt for an undershirt (using dryer).

I live off the road that runs between Pattaya and Jomtien.

Thanks

Edited by Drew345

I know this is a cheapskate Charley tip, but for the laundry that I do have done out, I negotiated a locals rate with a laundry place. I simply told them I live here and would use them all year and they offered a 25 percent discount without batting an eye. Why not ask?

If you've ever read any Jack Reacher books you will know that he is really hard and cool. He buys a cheap set of clothes and wears them for about a week then simply throws them away.

Or, you could get a deal like most laundry's offer - 75 pieces for 500 Baht or something similar.....

Ooops, I didn't mean to sidetrack the post by talking about prices too much. It's all about the dryers. Where are the dryers? Self wash, wash by the load, by the kilo, whatever. Just need the dryers for my cotton stuff that stretches too much when hung.

Thanks

I haven't seen any with dryers. It's just the norm to hang dry things in LOS. Even the places where you pay to have it done hang everything. However I was told that there are a few dry cleaners about. Might want to ask around. I have no clew where find one though.

On Thappraya road, just after the Theppasit T-section, on the left hand going towards the beach, there is a laundry shop with a sign outside saying they have dryers. Don't need it myself, just saw it passing and thought of this thread.

Edited by Phil Conners

We've got communal washing machines and dryers in the condo where I live. The dryers cost 40 Baht a time, so assuming that a public laundry charges the same, using them will have a negative impact on your attempts to save money. Better to buy a cheap clothes horse and rely on the sun, IMHO.

We've got communal washing machines and dryers in the condo where I live. The dryers cost 40 Baht a time, so assuming that a public laundry charges the same, using them will have a negative impact on your attempts to save money. Better to buy a cheap clothes horse and rely on the sun, IMHO.

Agreed.

Thai laundry charges, though they do seem higher than they really should be, aren't so bad when you consider that they dry, iron, and fold as well. But they insist on ironing. I once tried to save by telling them to skip the ironing, but they charged the same. Now I only send stuff that needs to be ironed to the laundry (when I don't have a "helper" staying over) and do the other stuff at home.