Iphone 4 Discussion

TheLaughingMan

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Echoing Nikster, I've found the 3GS camera to be terrific - probably better than my Nokia n95. I use it as my primary camera over an Olympus 8mp camera (albeit, I've lost the cord and have been too busy to get another one). Whatever compression methods they use are vastly superior to my Olympus. The MP difference is negligible, unless blown up on a TV or zoomed to ridiculous levels. I would like a 5mp flash though - low light and what it can capture (just comparing the 3G 2mp camera) are my biggest issues.

Dancall - I'm not sure why your battery life was so horrible in the States (I'm still on 3.1.2 though). I've found on 3G (though I switched to a non-3G plan recently) battery life was comparable. My use has changed considerably since then, but (and not claiming this is good by any standard) I was usually able to go a day between 2 hours of wifi/3G, a hour talk time, push, and whatever in a single day.

At the end of the day though, I'm skipping the the next iPhone and considering Android. I like Samsung's AMOLED displays and tested a unit that seemed to have great battery life. Motorola semi-announced their 2ghz Android phone for Q4 as well. We'll see though, I've been quite happy since I switched from Windows everything.

Would be interested to find out how much they will be charging In mbk for the 4g before it's released officially. In the uk it's £499 for a 16gb pay as go model and £599 for the 32gb. I'm tempted to order one just to sell when I'm back in Thailand.

I see that they use micro sims the same as the ipad which I thought might make it impossible to use one in Thailand but I see from a quick google search that true and AIS both have micro sims out and you can even cut down a normal sim to fit!! I'm would imagine (although not sure) it will need a software unlock as well but they never seem to be far behind especially in Thailand!!!

Or for those who are a bit price conscious, The new Samsung Wave matches close to all the specs and surpasses it in many arias...it has basically the same processor.. (source: engadget) , Wave will also probably be available for about half the price of the new Iphone 4. ( Samsung Wave review i GSMArenaha )

Yea but I would never use anything Samsung; they are the closest thing to a Macdonald's

of the electronics industry. Check the forums. More complaints about their shoddy products

than any other company...

Would be interested to find out how much they will be charging In mbk for the 4g before it's released officially. In the uk it's £499 for a 16gb pay as go model and £599 for the 32gb. I'm tempted to order one just to sell when I'm back in Thailand.

I see that they use micro sims the same as the ipad which I thought might make it impossible to use one in Thailand but I see from a quick google search that true and AIS both have micro sims out and you can even cut down a normal sim to fit!! I'm would imagine (although not sure) it will need a software unlock as well but they never seem to be far behind especially in Thailand!!!

Hi

But can you get it unlocked?? then call me :)

Hi

But can you get it unlocked?? then call me :)

UK and France models are factory unlocked.

Will be in Mongkok HK in a couple of hours so will ask expected delivery date. Might bring some back to pay for my own then :)

Not sure your source but 100 is a VERY VERY small number for HK Sincere podium sellers.

Edited by negreanu

Hey Sushi, if you get lucky, I'd be interested in giving you some business too for one 32gb. When will you be back?

Same thing, negreanu, if the HK prices are not too bloated.

Edited by RKeith

Would be interested to find out how much they will be charging In mbk for the 4g before it's released officially. In the uk it's £499 for a 16gb pay as go model and £599 for the 32gb.  I'm tempted to order one just to sell when I'm back in Thailand.  

Hey Sushi, if you get lucky, I'd be interested in giving you some business too for one 32gb. When will you be back?

Same thing, negreanu, if the HK prices are not too bloated.

I am interested too. I'll pay $100 on top for Thailand delivery. But I don't think either of you will have much luck. They'll be sold restricted quantity meaning you can only get 2. This morning, pre-orders were accepted (shushi, get yours in now!) and the Apple online store promptly died under the onslaught...

This is the sexiest iPhone ever, it's going to sell like crazy. Meaning they'll be hard to come by for a while.

I don't mind Samsung for consumer electronics - nothing but good experiences so far. However, Samsung is a bit like Sony (and many others...) in that they're totally clueless about software. I mean at a management level. That's their main problem when it comes to phones.

Okies I have ordered and paid for two iPhone 4g's they are unlocked I checked with apple.

I put my first order in and it said that it would be delivered on 24th June, I ordered the second just over an hour later and the delivery day was July 2nd so guess the are selling like hotcakes.

It's the iPhone 4g 32gb black factory unlocked and will even jailbreak on request if that's available for the 4g by then. Obviously will be boxed and brand spanking new.

So if anyone wants it then PM me sorry the be mercenary but the highest bidder gets it!! :]

I'm back in thailand 13th July as I don't trust the Thai post and every parcel I've had come through thai customs has subject to the usual farang import supertax!!

Apple just had a press release stating they sold 600,000 units on pre-order day. The iPhone 4 is set to be massive. I am thinking it could be quite a wait before they are widely available in Thailand. I am still not going to buy one though. LOL

Where are you getting factory unlocked phones?

Edited by anotheruser

I've ordered mine direct from Apple UK if you buy them from a phone company they are locked to the network. I've had a 3G for a couple of years now and I love it, but it's a real pain whenever I've accidently updated it on iTunes and lost my unlock as I use mine in Thailand most of the time at least with these I won't have to worry about it.

You could get a factory unlocked 3G from HK when they released it, personally I think they should all be unlocked then less people would jailbreak them and apple would make money from the app store.

Yesterday in Mongkok HK they were saying about second week of July they will have stock. Price to be decided but UK and French sourced so expect around 30,000THB if purchased in HK and 34000-38000THB for MBK initially.

16GB 3G ipad in Wan Chai Computer Centre including official Apple iPad case is about 32500THB at the moment.

I've ordered mine direct from Apple UK if you buy them from a phone company they are locked to the network. I've had a 3G for a couple of years now and I love it, but it's a real pain whenever I've accidently updated it on iTunes and lost my unlock as I use mine in Thailand most of the time at least with these I won't have to worry about it.

You could get a factory unlocked 3G from HK when they released it, personally I think they should all be unlocked then less people would jailbreak them and apple would make money from the app store.

I am sorry if I don't understand but your unlocked source is the UK?

See here: iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 - Apple Store (U.K.)

Quote "When you purchase your iPhone from the Apple Online Store, you’ll get it SIM-free. So you can sign up for service with the carrier of your choice and change your carrier at any time"

About fracking time, Apple!

Two of my friends just went to England so I'll see if I can get it from one of them :)

Yesterday in Mongkok HK they were saying about second week of July they will have stock. Price to be decided but UK and French sourced so expect around 30,000THB if purchased in HK and 34000-38000THB for MBK initially.

16GB 3G ipad in Wan Chai Computer Centre including official Apple iPad case is about 32500THB at the moment.

Hi

Saw this on the net

Instead of waiting for the official launch date of iPhone 4 in HK, the locals can move on to the gray market to get one. For the 16GB model, it will be priced at $7000-8000 HKD (about $900-1025 USD), and for the 32GB model, it will come in at $8000-9000 HKD (about $1025-1150 USD). The price is totally insane but the Apple fanboys and the iPhone accessories manufacturers from China will buy it with no second thoughts.

I am sorry if I don't understand but your unlocked source is the UK?

See here: iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 - Apple Store (U.K.)

Quote "When you purchase your iPhone from the Apple Online Store, you'll get it SIM-free. So you can sign up for service with the carrier of your choice and change your carrier at any time"

About fracking time, Apple!

Two of my friends just went to England so I'll see if I can get it from one of them :)

I didn't realise they sold them unlocked these days. That is great news and yeah about fricking time. Now all they have to do is honor warranties world wide and they will be behaving almost like a normal company,

Seems the iPhone will be using 512 RAM which is a bit of good news for all of the geeks out there. They reckon this is why imovie will only run on the iPhone 4 and not even an an iPad. Why on earth didn't they put 512 into the iPad as well? Apple is one frustrating company at sometimes. I love their stuff but hate their business model. Not that a give a rats ass about iMovie mind you.

Every tech person I've spoken to has slated it as being too expensive & too exclusive

It's no more expensive than the top of the line competitors windows mobile or Android phones. Not exactly sure what you mean by too exclusive.

That's the issue, it's the classic argument between people who choose everything against a feature list, and people who choose things by experiencing... same as a car, the longest list of features usually means the most boring/dull car to drive...

Marketing heads will also explain these debates very easily with an ultra-classic behavioral segmentation: early adopters vs. late adopters... early ones love innovation and the feeling to have something other products do not do/have, late adopters will prefer cheaper versions, copies by competitors, being reassured that people before chose this product and are happy... Apple invented the first real touch interface, others just followed... same same as MacOS vs. Windows interfaces...

On telephones it's the same: the user experience cannot be measured... and you can talk about Android, but never forget that Android is just a copy by a company which always has the same method: kill competition by doing "dumping": offering the same thing for free is cheaper than cheap... ask car GPS navigation devices makers about the arrival of Google nav!

Anyway I'll buy the 4G because I would like to replace my 3G, the others do not have anything exciting, nothing new, so better buy the original. Also, with operators here you have to buy the phone separately, but if you do not buy it separately with the operator (like True), you cannot have the iPhone-specific contract...

Just my 2 satang contribution... ;-)

Edited by GaiUan

It seems like you most definitely want one of those Apple bumpers for the iPhone 4.

Here is a whole page of videos where people can get their reception to drop by holding the iPhone in such a way the antennas get connected and lose signal. It has something to do with the fingers making a connection between antennas, and probably depends on how "conductive" your body is.

iPhone 4 Loses Reception When You Hold It By The Antenna Band?

The Apple bumpers are a protection for the antenna band around the phone and prevent the problem. Some electrical tape would work too of course ;)

Doesn't deter me from buying one... but I can't see how Apple could possibly fix this without changing the design of the phone.

It seems like you most definitely want one of those Apple bumpers for the iPhone 4.

Here is a whole page of videos where people can get their reception to drop by holding the iPhone in such a way the antennas get connected and lose signal. It has something to do with the fingers making a connection between antennas, and probably depends on how "conductive" your body is.

iPhone 4 Loses Reception When You Hold It By The Antenna Band?

The Apple bumpers are a protection for the antenna band around the phone and prevent the problem. Some electrical tape would work too of course ;)

Doesn't deter me from buying one... but I can't see how Apple could possibly fix this without changing the design of the phone.

Duct tape.  :)

Yeah, I'll still get one nevertheless. And I like mine naked. I just hope we don't have to use our thumb and pinky finger holding it.  :annoyed:

There's a glimmer of hope that the lot we get in MBK will be ok with our Thai RF signals.  :jap:

So are there any news regarding the iPhone 4 availability at the MBK stores? Will anybody go there today and check out the current situation?

I was there yesterday (24.06) and no IPhone 4 available. Also went to True Shop to pay my Internet bill

and asked them when it would be available but they don't have any idea.