Screwed Up Hillside

I think that there have been previous posts re this site but these pics were taken yesterday.

The site is unbelievably ugly and totally unsympathetic to the surrounds.

It isn't worth asking how all the planning permission was obtained but if this is the face

of the future then Samui hasn't a chance.post-28727-042753500 1275997597_thumb.jp

The attachments are a bit large, mate, but I managed to downlod them. I agree, the whole site is a mess. I noticed the building site on the ferry back to samui on Sunday and it's a disgrace. However, to have got this far in construction, whoever is building them must have powerfull friends and there's probably nothing that can be done about it.....

guys, I think that's the conrad place.

How did this place do with all the rains this year? I thought they were extremely lucky to have no rainy season last year, but it didn't look like the site had anymore vegetation this summer( which was the last time I looked at it from the ferry) than when these photos were taken. Heard the engineering sub was very good, but those columns are set into a pretty vertical looking hillside :rolleyes:

I'm no expert but my understanding is that if the reinforced concrete is imbedded into solid rock then a landslide taking the property down is not going to happen. I’m guessing that the Conrad has had the land surveyed and is happy with the results of the survey. I got this info from a friend when asking about a couple of houses he had also built on a cliff. The situation will obviously improve with tasteful landscaping(if that's possible from this developer of course) but it clear from early idications that this will always be somewhat of a double bagger (ugly) resort. Now I admit my understanding could be wrong due to what I was told being incorrect which none the less would be a fine thing IMO...to see the whole development crash into the sea would be a perfect ending for a very imperfect resort ...subject to it being unoccupied or any builder fatalities of course.

You are absolutely correct, the foundations will be in the bedrock, otherwise it's goodnight Irene

I suppose to your average layman and to the plain unimaginative, it does look like an eyesore but when we have completed construction & landscaping this development will look spectacular!

Do you really believe the Hilton/Conrad Group would leave the site looking like this? :rolleyes:

Edited by Livinginexile

Is this the place where a bolder fell through the roof of the showroom ?

I think steel mesh and spay concrete might be needed rather than landscaping

Yes, and it's all reminiscent of the Second World War German gun emplacements outside of Calais.

Wonder how many years it's going to take to make it look spectacular! :whistling:

"Unimaginative"!! It looks bloody hideous, a lot of concrete pill-boxes propped up on dangerous looking stilts looking like something from "War of the Worlds". Why shouldn't the "average layman" dislike it? They might have been (once)prospective purchasers.

It all looked so much better when there were trees and greenery.

The whole place is a tribute to the greed of uncaring developers wanting to make a buck, with no consideration for the environment.

I suppose to your average layman and to the plain unimaginative, it does look like an eyesore but when we have completed construction & landscaping this development will look spectacular!

Do you really believe the Hilton/Conrad Group would leave the site looking like this? :rolleyes:

:blink::huh: Unanswerable ! A troll perhaps ?

Looks like a troll's cave!!!!:rolleyes:

Yes, I fell for it! Need to sharpen up.

Attached photo's taken onsite this morning.

Low zone landscaping already progressing, column netting in progress.

A lot of planning and money is going into the landscape design. When complete NO column or ground space will be visable from sea side.

Of course it will take time for the landscaping to get established but the end planned result will be like villa's floating in a sea or mountain top vegitation.

post-32112-0-16386300-1293009209_thumb.j

post-32112-0-61519600-1293009223_thumb.j

post-32112-0-14311100-1293009254_thumb.j

post-32112-0-16657400-1293009480_thumb.j

post-32112-0-40173200-1293009501_thumb.j

post-32112-0-68833700-1293009512_thumb.j

Edited by Livinginexile

A lot of planning and money is going into the landscape design. When complete NO column or ground space will be visable from sea side.

Of course it will take time for the landscaping to get established but the end planned result will be like villa's floating in a sea or mountain top vegitation.

So they're trying to camouflage it so it will be hidden when the land encroachment and planning inspectors come visiting!:whistling:

@livinginexile

Who are the engineers who designed the foundations , i'm hoping a reputable firm with much experience in this type of thing ?

Any idea what the plan for sewage is , can soak away cesspits be used on such an incline ?

:rolleyes: Built by Aussies Leighton Industries and if it survived this years rains, it's there for good (be a great Exocet target though)

@livinginexile

Who are the engineers who designed the foundations , i'm hoping a reputable firm with much experience in this type of thing ?

Any idea what the plan for sewage is , can soak away cesspits be used on such an incline ?

Eco-ID. Actually all sub-structures are earth quake proof!

The waste water treatment plant is world class and excedes International standards.

ALL soil/waste is treated and re-used for irrigation.

Not one drop of untreated water touches the ground.

Actually this development is THE most eco friendly on the whole island.

The potable water supply to all buildings excedes WHO recommendations and can be drunk straight from the tap!

Edited by Livinginexile

@livinginexile

The waste water treatment plant is world class and excedes International standards.

The potable water supply to all buildings excedes WHO recommendations and can be drunk straight from the tap!

Sounds like you/they've got all their ducks in a row on the important bits.

It's not my idea of pretty but each to his own I guess

@livinginexile

*puts away pitchfork and lowers alert status to "ambivalent" from "all out TV lynch mob".

I can;t see anyone either buying or wanting to stay here

I have bought my own place here and i love it here.

I have travelled the world and there is some things that can be improved, but there is everywhere.

8 years ago i bought a house and i,m happier now because back then you couldnt even buy a steak knife for your dinner, i brought some over from england, you can get nearly everything here now.

I agree with Roo, those who moan and complain about samui, are those whose business failed or not doing any good

Nice to know these efforts are being made, especially in regards to water treatment, thank you. Good design and construction can help to reduce the problems with bad zoning and enforcement. Is it true that the opening had to be delayed 5 months to deal with the problems caused by recent on site erosion? Landslides at Ban Taling Ngam show what can happen with building on or near steep slopes.Landscaping remedy for prior problems there, which looked good for two years, didn't survive this year.

• 4 months later...

Anybody noticed what has happened with this project amidst all the flooding, erosion, and landslides on the island? I haven't been on the ferry or kayaking for months to see what the place looks like lately. Did hear that the employee hiring process had hit a pause.....any pictures from the sea onto the land would be appreciated :jap:

Anybody noticed what has happened with this project amidst all the flooding, erosion, and landslides on the island? I haven't been on the ferry or kayaking for months to see what the place looks like lately. Did hear that the employee hiring process had hit a pause.....any pictures from the sea onto the land would be appreciated :jap:

Employee recruitment is in process, admin staff is in place. Hilton/Conrad had to recruit as far afield as Chang Mai, The Thai labor market is extrmely tight at the moment.

All retention walls are now in place so therefore very little land slip during the heavy rains.

There will be a series of soft openings starting July. The project is now allmost complete.

I'll post some photo's later if you like.

I noticed the War of the Worlds theme park a few days ago from the ferry and the first thought that came into my head was what an <deleted> mess.Surely idyllic islands and repulsive concrete buildings are defeating the object.Unless they paint them green, no amount

of landscaping is going to make the site look attractive.

• 2 months later...

View from the ocean shows a lot of progress but not nearly finished. Landscaping has improved the overall appearance from former awfulness (not quite up to what the photo on web site seems to show). Web site shows bookings being accepted starting October 1

Sep 29 Thu — Sep 30 Fri icon_unavailable.gifSep 30 Fri — Oct 01 Sat icon_unavailable.gifOct 01 Sat — Oct 02 Sun From ฿18,020 per room

Price above seems to be standard undiscounted rate.

Interesting statements of the first page of the web site:

http://conradhotels1.hilton.com/en/ch/hotels/index.do?ctyhocn=USMKSCI&more=true

'set just a few steps from an idyllic white-sand beach'

'you can celebrate on the powder white sands of the beach'

'sunbathe on the resort's 180m private floating pier'

Last statement sounds quite interesting. Wonder if they will reel it into the shore during heavy wave and storm conditions? <_<