Tailgating

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I gave a young smart assss in a pickup the 'bird' the other day, he didnt like that much :) .

Good too see you lived to tell the tale - I guess that's why you're named NeverDie eh? laugh.gif

http://<URL Automatically Removed>/thailand-and-asia-news/63826-german-shot-dead-for-middle-finger.html

As for everyone else, driving in Thailand is the exact same as snow-skiing on a busy slope. If you're still battling to understand how traffic works here in LOS, treat yourself to a skiing vacation, get some skiing lessons, hit the slopes for a few days, then come back here and imagine you're still there - simple! tongue.gif

Edit: this TV website is a joke! Try googling this: "German shot dead for middle finger"

Edit #2: See below :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Have you ever noticed Thai's in a line (regardless of age), like a line to get on a local bus, line to get the vegetables weighed, line to get in a concert, or most any line to go somewhere. Notice how it seems urgent that they get to the front of the line and will resort to jumping line, pushing, standing very close to you, etc., to get as far up the line as possible. Well, vehicles on the road all lined up in lanes is just another line to a Thai's and their "gotta move up in the line, gotta get there" mind set is part of their driving habits (bad habits) which results in tailgating. The great, great majority of accidents I see in Bangkok are multi vehicle rear enders caused by tailgating.

^I gave a young smart assss in a pickup the 'bird' the other day, he didnt like that much :) .

Good too see you lived to tell the tale - I guess that's why you're named NeverDie eh? laugh.gif

Yeah yeah MRO, I've seen the headlines before. I must admit I don't normally do that (flip the bird) HOWEVER this guy was taking things to the extreme & nearly took me and a few others out in the process. You know you've got a live one when you notice other thais reacting to what he is doing.

Anyway, I wont forget his face & ur right, theres a reason Im called 'neverdie' its not just my tv nic, you know! :D

• 2 weeks later...

As predicted this post deteriorated into a diatribe on how bad driving is in Thailand and how good the foreign drivers are - or should I say "superior"? - the sad thing is that most foreign drivers are crap - and probably worse than Thai drivers who have the skills to survive.

It isn't just a matter of "how good" a driver you are - what is needed is an intelligent analysis of how you yourself drive in Thailand and the root causes of the lack of discipline on Thai roads.

I see ;little evidence of the foreigners in this thread showing an inkling of what is really going on - just keen to show a "good" they are.

As predicted this post deteriorated into a diatribe on how bad driving is in Thailand and how good the foreign drivers are - or should I say "superior"? - the sad thing is that most foreign drivers are crap - and probably worse than Thai drivers who have the skills to survive.

It isn't just a matter of "how good" a driver you are - what is needed is an intelligent analysis of how you yourself drive in Thailand and the root causes of the lack of discipline on Thai roads.

I see ;little evidence of the foreigners in this thread showing an inkling of what is really going on - just keen to show a "good" they are.

half of the tailgaters here in Phuket are farang, usually in pickups and suv. some of them wake up and increase distance if I touch my brakes. thai tailgaters usually get more aggresive if I dare touch my brake. amount of traffic limits everyones speed anyway so whats the point

I find most tailgaters up in Chiang Mai to be Thai, usually in a Fortuner for some reason. Not that I come across many farang driving. Usually they pass when the first opportunity arises, but its pretty stupid getting so close. I reckon its better to hang back abit and change down and gas it when ready to pass. Being close to the car in front doesnt allow much room to build up speed before pulling out.

but most people will admit that theyre above average in driving skills, me included. :D

The rule I live by is to drive to suit the conditions at the time, and tailgating is never a good condition to drive in, someone might have an answer to that thou.

a theory, the tailgaters in SUVs & pickups are up higher & can see over the car in front and hence drive closer. What do you think?

I drive both SUV, 4x4 pickups and cars myself.

I dont see any good reason for tailgating. When I want to overtake its done more quickly keeping some distance, shift auto manually and build up speed to overtake when clear

Overtaking is faster due to higher speed during overtaking, thus reducing risk of accident.

I think pickups and suv tailgating do so cause they feel like king of the road due to vehicles immortality and size

on the other hand, its often difficult to keep as much distance as 3 seconds in LOS, cause then other vehicles wanting to enter the road dont yield

I dont see any good reason for tailgating. When I want to overtake its done more quickly keeping some distance, shift auto manually and build up speed to overtake when clear

Overtaking is faster due to higher speed during overtaking, thus reducing risk of accident.

yup thats what i do

Last night I had a tailgater behind me. I put my hazards on and took my foot off the gas and let my car slow down until he took the hint and backed off.

I would of let him overtake but there was heavy traffic all around and nowhere to move over.