I'M An Alien!

twofortheroad

Too often on this forum I see people refer to themselves as 'Guests' in Thailand. It's as if they just popped in for a long weekend to see how everyone is. :)

What utter rubbish. I've been here for quite a long while and I would never consider myself as a Guest, I'm an Alien.

Discuss.

I agree with you. For those who have lived here for a long time and intend to continue to do so, I would use a term like foreign resident. Yes I understand those without residence visas have few rights and no long term security in their status here, but guest is just completely wrong.

'Alien' is a word used specifically by immigration authorities to mean a non-citizen. It's a word used by Thai immigration. It's also used by US immigration. Some folks are easily offended.

To me, "customer" is most accurate.

Actually, this is probably the best way to look at it. Previously I have said that people are "hosts" in that they have others living off of them. But customer is a more apt term. After all, aren't the majority of non-Thais expected to spend, spend, spend during their time in Thailand.

TheWalkingMan

Alien, guest, temporary resident, customer, what's the deference really.

the "deference" is that some people who are bored to death are too lazy to throw small stones at passing by old ladies. so in order to vent their frustration they open nonsensical threads about aliens and guests in Thailand.

:)

Guest: yes I am!

I am staying in my girlfriend house -more than 10 years now!- without having anything to pay.

Even for the maids or my internet connection, she used to get -very- upset when I tried to give a few thousands... so I gave up!

The only thing we ever split the costs was for our holiday bungalow in Koh Phangan. cool.gif

'Guest' is normally used by the Thaier than Thai / Thai apologist element to describe us. :)

You said it Jack, totally agree

Exactly.

To me, "customer" is most accurate.

Definition:

Thai apologist—A term used by disenfranchised farangs living in Thailand to describe those farangs (i.e., Thai apologist) who have adjusted to the Thai life style better than themselves. The users of this term are generally miserable with their lives and would love nothing more than for other farangs to be equally miserable. Those farangs in Thailand who are generally happy with their lives, or who would defend Thai's or Thailand, or especially those who have the audacity to say anything mildly positive about Thai's or Thailand are labeled "Thai apologists."

'Alien' is a word used specifically by immigration authorities to mean a non-citizen. It's a word used by Thai immigration. It's also used by US immigration. Some folks are easily offended.

Before Immigration Depts claimed the word "Alien", we had the Hollywood version. Aliens are beings from foreign lands that have come to rape and pillage the local women and to subjugate the indigenous life forms. Some are hairy (Chewbacca), some scary (Terminator) and others just take on normal human form, hoping nobody would notice how sinister they really are. Often they overstay their welcome.

I don't know about everyone else, but in my home we treat guests better than we would aliens of the Hollywood variety.

So I prefer to be a guest than an alien. :)

Alien, guest, temporary resident, customer,  what's the deference really.

the "deference" is that some people who are bored to death are too lazy to throw small stones at passing by old ladies. so in order to vent their frustration they open nonsensical threads about aliens and guests in Thailand.

:D

I wouldn't dare throw stones at old ladies. Lovely people. I should know, my Mother is one.

This is just idle chit-chat to while away the quiet moments - harmless banter. Sometimes it leads to an interesting debate, usually it ends up in a heated argumant. Light entertainment either way.

If you have more important things to do - go do them. The fact that you're here, suggests otherwise. :)

Guide to be called things in Thailand

Guest = someone who gets wai'd at in the hopes of future windfalls

Farang = some who as been here too long and has pissed off enough people to earn this title

Alien = someone who looks funny, smell worse and acts like they are lost all the time

Farang Alien Guest = someone who is wai'd at while getting yelled at for looking and smelling horrible while begging for change to buy beer or a plane ticket home.

Having lived here for a long time, I certainly don't think of myself as a guest. If I had spent this long in most other countries, I would certainly have become a citizen by now. I live here, have a wife, kids, grandkids even, a business and I pay taxes. As far as I'm concerned I live here. I may not legally have the status of a citizen but that's what I think I am. The labels don't matter to me, but those that use the term 'guest', tend to imply that I should act like a tourist, or somebody invited to stay for a short time. I got past that many years ago. Don't get me wrong, I still treat people with respect , but I don't act like a guest - this is my home. 

I do like the idea of being an alien though. 

Having lived here for a long time, I certainly don't think of myself as a guest. If I had spent this long in most other countries, I would certainly have become a citizen by now. I live here, have a wife, kids, grandkids even, a business and I pay taxes. As far as I'm concerned I live here. I may not legally have the status of a citizen but that's what I think I am. The labels don't matter to me, but those that use the term 'guest', tend to imply that I should act like a tourist, or somebody invited to stay for a short time. I got past that many years ago. Don't get me wrong, I still treat people with respect , but I don't act like a guest - this is my home.

I do like the idea of being an alien though.

The main problem with the 'this is my home' theory, is that most likely you have to apply for a visa extension every 12 months. So long as you can satisfy visa extension requirements, you may be allowed to stay. That's not a home, that's a guest.

Edited by Garry9999

nothing wrong with beeing called an alien.

Agreed... and if you are lucky enough, you can even meet Sigourney Weaver! laugh.gif

Sigourney Weaver passed the sell by date quite some time ago. Maybe as far back as Year of Living Dangerously.

nothing wrong with beeing called an alien.

Agreed... and if you are lucky enough, you can even meet Sigourney Weaver! laugh.gif

Sigourney Weaver passed the sell by date quite some time ago. Maybe as far back as Year of Living Dangerously.

My grandmother always used to say: "That is with the old pot, that you are making the best soup... especially with young carrot."cool.gif