England World Cup Discussion Thread

mommysboy

Improved performance. Nothing to get over excited about just yet but atleast they played with some balls, and created chances.

Thought Milner, who would'nt have been my choice, played well, and Defoe looked quite sharp.

Upson did nothing really wrong, but win or lose, he'll get caught out by the Germans, although if we did beat them Ledley King will be back supposedly for the quarters. Without getting too ahead of ourselves, that would likely be Argentina. :ermm:

Terry had a very big game,

I can't help thinking there's something not right with Rooney. He looks so out of sorts. Injury he's keeping to himself?

I think Rooney played well. Just because Gerrard cant shoot is not his fault :lol: and that goalie made a spectacular finger tip save onto the post. But yea, he looks like he is still struggling with a groin or ankle.

Edited by bkkjames

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

defoe attacks the front post and makes strikers runs,unlike heskey and crouch. gives the wide players something to aim at as shown by the ball in from milner for the goal.

they were certainly better and improved but then they couldn't really be worse than they were against algeria. think playing germany will suit them more than playing ghana.

rooney's knackered. didn't get any rest through rotation last season and played every minute he was available for united.

I can't help thinking there's something not right with Rooney. He looks so out of sorts. Injury he's keeping to himself?

I think Rooney played well. Just because Gerrard cant shoot is not his fault :lol: and that goalie made a spectacular finger tip save onto the post. But yea, he looks like he is still struggling with a groin or ankle.

The line between success and failure is a fine one. Had Gerrard struck that inviting lay off from Rooney with a decent bit on conviction like he normally does, and had the goalie not got his fingertips to the shot from Rooney, he would have most likely been man of the match.

Taking him off in my opinion was a dangerous thing to do, and even more so when Defoe was also withdrawn. Had they equalized at that point we would have been stuffed.

The line between success and failure is a fine one. Had Gerrard struck that inviting lay off from Rooney with a decent bit on conviction like he normally does, and had the goalie not got his fingertips to the shot from Rooney, he would have most likely been man of the match.

Taking him off in my opinion was a dangerous thing to do, and even more so when Defoe was also withdrawn. Had they equalized at that point we would have been stuffed.

Good last point that. I was quite suprised he did'nt leave atleast Defoe on, what with us only holding a one goal lead. Did'nt think it warrented both going off either, though any extra rest Rooney gets is probably a good thing.

Apparently the collective sound of bum guns throughout the Second Half drowned out the vuzuvelas......... :whistling:

Nah, with respect, we looked pretty good throughout that game and should reaaly have scored a couple more.

Getting a reasonably early goal made the Slovenians come out more which offered us more oppotunities.

We never really looked like anything other than winning that one Smokie ;)

gerrard was having a moan about the pitch after the match and it was cut up something chronic. i'd normally expect gerrard to have leathered that layoff but he was obviously worried about ballooning it.

I can't help thinking there's something not right with Rooney.  He looks so out of sorts.  Injury he's keeping to himself?

I think Rooney played well. Just because Gerrard cant shoot is not his fault   :lol: and that goalie made a spectacular finger tip save onto the post. But yea, he looks like he is still struggling with a groin or ankle.

gerrard was having a moan about the pitch after the match and it was cut up something chronic. i'd normally expect gerrard to have leathered that layoff but he was obviously worried about ballooning it.

It did have look of Wembley to it, but then again England should be used to it.

Apparently the collective sound of bum guns throughout the Second Half drowned out the vuzuvelas......... :whistling:

Nah, with respect, we looked pretty good throughout that game and should reaaly have scored a couple more.

Getting a reasonably early goal made the Slovenians come out more which offered us more oppotunities.

You were rubbish in the first round carmine....and the Germans will be strolling to victory in the next round.......enjoy your victory coz it'll be 4 years nefore the next one!!

You were rubbish in the first round carmine....and the Germans will be strolling to victory in the next round.......enjoy your victory coz it'll be 4 years nefore the next one!!

A much fairer statement would be that we were average against USA, rubbish against Albania and good last night.

But, at the end of the day we still qualified did'nt we and isn't ultimately what it's all about. It makes me laugh that all the England detractors bark on about us being rubbish whereas a totally neutral point of view might duggest that if you qualify playing below par surely there are a number of positives to take.

If you think the Germans will stroll it against "any" of the remaining teams, then you have'nt seen them play because their defence is clearly very suspect.....so is Argentina's for that matter.

OK carmine here we go....Poor....Absolute <deleted>......Dog Average just about sums it up. ;)

But it does'nt does it because they were;nt were they when it mattered. They picked it up when they had to. You obviously were watching Wimbledon instead :lol:

Your losing all sense and logic. Whilst the Germans are always a force to be reckoned with, it is plainly obvious that Rooney and Defoe can cause them problems.

Do the Scots really have any right to call other national sides dog average or <deleted> ;)

A much fairer statement would be that we were average....

In spite of all the hype that says it all, let's be realistic at least once here were it not for the atrocious referring that seems to be bordering on conspiracy against the US team it would not even be a contest, and that doesn't even include the open net goals we can't seem to capitalize on Dempsy alone should have had a heat trick last night.... Where as the English team get almost every call their way to keep them in the matches were they should be blown out of.. I know it's almost unheard of but a bit of humility and credit where credit is due would be a immensely cleansing experience for the English fans and team as well.. This rubbish about how you never get beat that it's always just that you're just not playing well is well.................Rubbish!! I know it grates you to no end to read this but there are BETTER teams then you and it's been proven 3 games in a row now as well as on the score line in spite of at least 2 GOALS being called back.... In every aspect the US has outplayed not only you but every team in their group period!!

I just wish the US could put one away without all the drama though I'm going to have a heart attack...

Germany only just beat Ghana so while being predicted as an easy win for the US? They also have recent history going Ghana's way so couple that with worthless referees and I'm not at all confident :unsure: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

They've got to qualify first. ;)

A much fairer statement would be that we were average against USA, rubbish against Albania and good last night.

But, at the end of the day we still qualified did'nt we and isn't ultimately what it's all about. It makes me laugh that all the England detractors bark on about us being rubbish whereas a totally neutral point of view might duggest that if you qualify playing below par surely there are a number of positives to take.

If you think the Germans will stroll it against "any" of the remaining teams, then you have'nt seen them play because their defence is clearly very suspect.....so is Argentina's for that matter.

Yeah, those Albanians are a tough bunch. ;)

Is the officiating in the World Cup representative of the type of officiating in the Premiership?

I understand it is a continuous sport (clock doesn't normally stop), but with so very few goals scored per game, why doesn't a coach have at least one right per game to call for a review? It only takes a minute to produce the video and a few seconds to ascertain whether a player is onside or not.

If the integrity of the game is really important then getting it right should be top priority. From what I have seen in this World cup, it isn't.

It's true Warped, there's a conspiracy against the USA. You are the hard done by ones. It's not fair blah blah blah....yaaaaawn.

English is not your native language is it carmine? In spite of your lack of comprehension since I never claimed a conspiracy, then you tell me why 2 games consecutive there has been 2 obvious miscalled goals called back that an average high school ref would not have called?? It is a well known fact that the world is a bit biased against us at this current point in time so provide me with some relevant explanation in which the highest rated referees, hand picked from a world wide pool have made not only poor calls but obvious crap calls??? Name one other team in this cup that has been the victim of such consistently atrocious refereeing??

Let's be clear, you have no idea what these referees biases are or their personal motives or agenda, they are human after all...

Edited by WarpSpeed

I prefer it when Lotus does the speaking on behalf of the Germans : much more eloquent that you lot  :rolleyes:

Hallo BKK James,

thanks for that unexpected compliment.

As said in another thread it will be a very interesting match. My best bet is on "Calamity" James although the last match he was quite good. If we look at statistics of the world cup matches between England and Germany it might be in favour of the team from the continent. But you also might argue that it is time now to change that outcome.

But isn't that the attraction of a tournament like that. You don't know the result. Look at the "last minute" goal of the Americans. And how happy they were about it. Even President Clinton watched it at the stadium. And that should mean something in a nation that only accepts baseball and basketball.

A much fairer statement would be that we were average....

In spite of all the hype that says it all, let's be realistic at least once here were it not for the atrocious referring that seems to be bordering on conspiracy against the US team it would not even be a contest, and that doesn't even include the open net goals we can't seem to capitalize on Dempsy alone should have had a heat trick last night.... Where as the English team get almost every call their way to keep them in the matches were they should be blown out of.. I know it's almost unheard of but a bit of humility and credit where credit is due would be a immensely cleansing experience for the English fans and team as well.. This rubbish about how you never get beat that it's always just that you're just not playing well is well.................Rubbish!! I know it grates you to no end to read this but there are BETTER teams then you and it's been proven 3 games in a row now as well as on the score line in spite of at least 2 GOALS being called back.... In every aspect the US has outplayed not only you but every team in their group period!!

I just wish the US could put one away without all the drama though I'm going to have a heart attack...

Germany only just beat Ghana so while being predicted as an easy win for the US? They also have recent history going Ghana's way so couple that with worthless referees and I'm not at all confident :unsure: ..

I thought you said you was a referee?? You bleat on like a player......take experience from your professional days and stop moaning about your peers. :rolleyes: I think the refs have been above average in this tournament so far....sour grapes or what,then again yankees have to have an excuse dont they :whistling:

I prefer it when Lotus does the speaking on behalf of the Germans : much more eloquent that you lot  :rolleyes:

Hallo BKK James,

thanks for that unexpected compliment.

As said in another thread it will be a very interesting match. My best bet is on "Calamity" James although the last match he was quite good. If we look at statistics of the world cup matches between England and Germany it might be in favour of the team from the continent. But you also might argue that it is time now to change that outcome.

But isn't that the attraction of a tournament like that. You don't know the result. Look at the "last minute" goal of the Americans. And how happy they were about it. Even President Clinton watched it at the stadium. And that should mean something in a nation that only accepts baseball and basketball.

Yea hopefully will be a good match. Will England wear red again???

As for President Clinton, ok he watched but someone had to interpret the tonal differences in the Vulvuuvualalssaazza things. Only a trained ear can pick up it's subtleties. 

It is a well known fact that the world is a bit biased against us at this current point in time so provide me with some relevant explanation in which the highest rated referees, hand picked from a world wide pool have made not only poor calls but obvious crap calls??? Name one other team in this cup that has been the victim of such consistently atrocious refereeing??

AND THEN!!

Let's be clear, you have no idea what these referees biases are or their personal motives or agenda, they are human after all... :lol:

numpty! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Look at the "last minute" goal of the Americans. And how happy they were about it. Even President Clinton watched it at the stadium. And that should mean something in a nation that only accepts baseball and basketball.

Sweet retribution in spite of.........

It is a well known fact that the world is a bit biased against us at this current point in time so provide me with some relevant explanation in which the highest rated referees, hand picked from a world wide pool have made not only poor calls but obvious crap calls??? Name one other team in this cup that has been the victim of such consistently atrocious refereeing??

AND THEN!!

Let's be clear, you have no idea what these referees biases are or their personal motives or agenda, they are human after all... :lol:

numpty!  :cheesy:  :cheesy:   :cheesy:

Actually Nat, those refs with the headphones and mics aren't for talking to one another. I have it on good authority that Blatter watches the game from above and shouts down instructions.

"Rooney gave you the finger when your back was turned mate - card him"

"John Terry pretended to spit on the ground but actually it's hanging off the back of your shorts"

I thought you said you was a referee?? You bleat on like a player......take experience from your professional days and stop moaning about your peers. :rolleyes: I think the refs have been above average in this tournament so far....sour grapes or what,then again yankees have to have an excuse dont they :whistling:

Impossible to read this rubbish maybe you should learn how to properly use the quote function eh??? I couldn't even respond without fixing your rubbish quote as the software wouldn't allow it..

Your response is what is sour grapes as you forget who won the group and should have won hands down but I never expected anything different from you...

JFYI I've been both ref and player, why should one limit their life's experiences and by being on both sides of the ball you have a better perspective which is obviously something lacking with people of your ilk.. That experience provides me with the ability to have a more objective opinion then average "fan"...

Edited by WarpSpeed