Possible Problems With An Illegal Bike?

Hi I've been looking for a honda FTR223 and there is one on the classifieds, it is a 2006 (supposedly, but i doubt it) with a low mileage and is advertised on classifieds on thai visa.

The problem is the bike is advertised as ownership documents only. I know what that means, its got no service history, or books, and is probably not legally registered.

However the price is reasonable at 60 000, and I might be interested if I can haggle that down a bit,

I'm just interested to know what problems I may encounter having an illegal bike that will have been imported,

Will the bike be seized?

If I get stopped by cops and dont have papers, will they fine me?

Is ownership documents enough?

Is this a bad idea having an illegal bike in thailand, even if i got ownership documents?

I just dont want to end up throwing away 50 000 + baht and having hassles, after all there are many good value legal bikes to be had in thailand, but I really love the FTR 223 which is why i might push the boat out even though an illegal bike is obviously very undesirable.

Also is there any way you can make an illegal bike legal, or would this not be financially viable (it would cost alot?)

Finally I know this may seem a daft question but do you need a bike license to ride a motorbike in thailand as u didnt in cambodia

And if so how much does it cost (roughly) for a few lessons and a test

thanks

Hi goin2thailand,

You'll be throwing your money away with an illegal bike as mentioned. The BiB may fine you or seize it, or both.

Yes, Bikelicence is necessary here...if you bring your licence from your own country with you may be able to "convert" it to a local Thai drivers licence . I made my Bikes licence here and it was a piece of cake and cheap too.

As alternative you may be interested on a Tiger Boxer 250 RS . 72000 thb new, 100% legal with 3 year /30000km warranty. You'll find more info here: www.tigersachsclub.com

happpy trials,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

If the Honda FTR223 comes with only ownership papers you very likely will never be able to register the bike and get a legal greenbook and license-plate, the reason is that a 2006 Honda FTR223 will likely not pass the Thai exhaust emission rules.

If take the cost of the bike (60k Bht) plus the cost to get it officially road legal you will find that you come much closer to a secondhand Kawasaki KLX250, for instance the road-safety and environmental testing can cost you up to 30,000 Bht. Some engine and exhaust modifications to meet the Thai emission rules will probably also cost you something over 20,000 Bht. In case the bike was built from separated imported parts and assembled in Thailand you likely need to still pay some import TAX... And let not forget the amount of time you will visit the government offices.

If you are looking for an enduro machine I would recommend you wait and save some more money to buy a Kawasaki KLX250, or buy a Lifan LF200GY-5. If a road bike is acceptable for you, the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is a great machine.

Hi goin2thailand ,

Forget about the bike without proper document. ! they have no value on the thai second hand market.

Since 2008, you cannot insure this kind of bike, ( engine number, and frame number won't work no more ) i know that it used to be like this for more than 10 years, but this time is over.

Concerning the Driving licence, you have the right to ride and drive with an international driving licence as long as you are a tourist. As soon as you become a resident, your international driving licence become automatically caduque, and you have to have a Thai driving licence ( easy to get at any land and transportation department in thailand with a NON immigrant visa and a Original certificate of residence from your embassy ,it can be in english or in thai language or both like in the french embassy for instance), if you have a Work permit, you don't need a certificate of residence( till today ) .

The first year, Driving licence have a 1 year validity, then after a year, you can request a 5 years driving licence with the same document and the previous driving licence, if you have lost your driving licence, there is a big chance that the land department will give you only 1 year,and not 5.

Don't believe any one that can sell you a lifetime driving licence in Thailand, they are not available anymore. ( they might be able to give you a real driving licence, but that won't be registered at the land and transportation department, ok for the daily checkpoint, but if you have a big accident, that just won't work because the insurance company and the police will check the document...)

i am not writting you to scare you, but to share my own experience of 13 years in Thailand, i have seen many things (and more )

enjoy the ride

Sylvain

Those information can be confirmed by any insurance company in Thailand.

Dear goin2thailand ,

I forget to tell you somehing:

As you may know there are 2 kind of driving licences in Thailand ( car and motorcycle) so you need both in Thailand. You could be fine if you ride a bike with a Car driving licence .

Same process and same validy to get those 2 driving licences at the land and transportation department .

best regards

Sylvain / Shark

interesting, I dont have a UK bike license, so I might have to get one in thailand.

Ive ridden for months in cambodia and Ive had scooters in the UK, although only with a CBT (up to 125cc)

do you reckon I could go for a lesson and test on the same day and get my license or is it stricter than that, or maybe pay 1000 baht to the instructor to pass me my test.

Its not the license im bothered about, its getting stopped and having no insurance, as im guessing that could land me in trouble.

Even though you didnt need a driving license, or insurance in cambodia, and never even got asked during several months there (got stopped loads of times due to no helmet)

looks as though its not as simple buying a thai bike than a cambodian bike

Goin2Thailand,

Whilst all the posters are correct on the paperwork and possible fines and seizure of the bike....I own a FTR 223 without paperwork. But I only ride it locally and around the trails in Chiang Mai. If you plan to ride anywhere where there may be a bike check, it's probably not worth the hassle.

Sweet bike, especially if you do a little work to it.