M16 Gang Targeting Expats Busted

sabaijai

So much more elightening these recent discussions now that we are only argung about where we live rather than the colour of other citizens shirts. By the way Bangkok is so big that it matters what Soi or suburb or condo you live in - before you provincials try and trash the whole city.

Well said KevinB, too many generalizations flying around this board. That being said, the same holds true for Pattaya. I am SURE (???) there are some nice parts somewhere, right.......

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just another reason to stay as far away from Chonburi as possible. I swear Pattaya has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the world.

Surely by comparison with some countries in the world like Honduras, South Africa, ,Rwanda, Jamaica,Colombia and some other south American countries,Thailand seems very safe. Pattaya alone would be like Bournemouth by comparison.

The US has one of the highest incarceration rates in the world, higher than China. So you can include that country in the mix.

Incarceration rate also may mean that there is a higher rate of capture of criminals, a higher rate of conviction, and a higher rate of detention (incarceration). If you follow the logic, a country with ZERO incarceration would have no crime? Probably not. And the country with the highest incarceration rate would have the highest crime? Again, probably not.

Whats wrong with these people.

If it was not for the expats a lot of business would be lost in Thailand

If it was not for expats a lot of business would be lost in Thailand What a load of crap Do you really think that expats add a lot to Thailands economy Maybe the beer bars in Pattaya or Bangkok but not to Thailand in general Not even 1% so dont think Thailand would be worse of without its expats.

Actually it is 6% of GDP which is a large amount!!!!

Actually you are completely wrong!!!!

Expats would be far far less than 1% of GDP. Perhaps you're thinking of "Tourism" that may be around 6-7% but that is totally different to expats.

Expat - People that live here.

Tourist - People that visit.

I agree with the previous poster. What expats add to the Thai economy simply by living here is negligible.

Edited by Pui

Incarceration rate also may mean that there is a higher rate of capture of criminals, a higher rate of conviction, and a higher rate of detention (incarceration). If you follow the logic, a country with ZERO incarceration would have no crime? Probably not. And the country with the highest incarceration rate would have the highest crime? Again, probably not.

A higher incarceration rate also points to a willingness to report crime and confidence in the police and judicial system.

Incidentally Thailand has the third highest per capita rate of gun murders on the planet. The overall murder rate is about 15th,

the leaders being the predicatable Colombia, South Africa and Jamaica.

If it was not for expats a lot of business would be lost in Thailand What a load of crap Do you really think that expats add a lot to Thailands economy Maybe the beer bars in Pattaya or Bangkok but not to Thailand in general Not even 1% so dont think Thailand would be worse of without its expats.

This is a rediculous arguement. Tourists inc expats contribute 7% to Thailand economy. That is putting money in someones pocket. The arguement may be changed to whether the rural thais or the fat cats benefit in which case why nor argue that multi billion baht trunk roads or shopping malls also fail to contribute to rural life.........

I agree with the previous poster. What expats add to the Thai economy simply by living here is negligible.

Am I to understand there are people here advocating Ethnic Cleansing - similar to Idi Amin tried in Uganda or more after the style of Mugabe in Zimbabwe?

Actually you are completely wrong!!!!

Expats would be far far less than 1% of GDP. Perhaps you're thinking of "Tourism" that may be around 6-7% but that is totally different to expats.

Expat - People that live here.

Tourist - People that visit.

speak for yourself. I am an expat here and I have expat friends we all take 'holidays in phuket,pattaya,Bangkok. We build houses and buy cars, have jobs, employ staff etc..

A tourist is estimated to spend 5,000baht a day. A house casting 500,000 baht, annual expenditure 800,000 ( the immigration requirement and assumption), a pickup 700,000 equates, to the numericly challenged, to a tourist staying a year and a half..........then there is the 800,000 every year plus ongoing capital equipment......

If I and my expat friends are included in the 1% then some of you guys are on short time and about to be squeezed out by the exchange rate fluctutions....bye bye

So many lame haters bitch & complain about Pattaya any chance they get. Even when good news like this comes out....

Come on guys they caught the scum bags and recovered the victim's goods.

It's a bright light of good news in the darkness of ill press about Pattaya.

Expats don't add much to the economy? Who owns and runs all the factories and employs all the Thais? I mean just think of the automotive sector, it is FULL of well known Thai companies such as Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, Isuzu and all the OEM suppliers to the auto industry. And what about the Hard Disk Drive industry (which actually accounts for a big % of the GDP but can't remember the figure......... I am sure some astute TV poster will question that and I am just as sure somebody will take the time to find out); it too is full of such great Thai companies as Western Digital and Seagate to name two.

So........... if all the expats left Thailand............ there would only be a drop of 1% of GDP? You gotta be kidding me.

Edited by candoman89

Just another reason to stay as far away from Chonburi as possible. I swear Pattaya has one of the highest per capita murder rates in the world.

Surely by comparison with some countries in the world like Honduras, South Africa, ,Rwanda, Jamaica,Colombia and some other south American countries,Thailand seems very safe. Pattaya alone would be like Bournemouth by comparison.

You forgot to mention Los Angeles and New York and Philadelphia and Chicago :-) From a crime standpoint, I always wondered why there was not so much comparatively speaking.

Can you substantiate this? Or is this only your feeling?

Speak for myself I will, its basic economics.

I live in Thailand have multiple homes a new car, friends who have the same. Just like yourselves. but I am under no delusion that expats come close to adding 1% percent (not even 0.01 percent) to the GDP of Thailand. If you think this you may have an over inflated opinion of your own worth. Do you know what GDP is? Do you know how its calculated? Then look at the number of expats in Thailand?

Tourism on the other hand are bus loads of Russians and Chinese, Malaysians, Singaporeans etc pulling in and dropping serious money. Thats where the 7% come from. Not expats.

Look at the numbers! you really think that your visa fees comes in to play here? numericly challenged? do you mean "numerically" challenged? exchange rates have nothing at all to do with GDP nor do expats 700,000 baht pickups. We are in such a minority that it doesn't really matter if you spend 800,000 baht a year (an average European salary). This is probably 10 times what a Thai gets but there are 60 odd million of them to how many Expats?

Be under no delusions. They don't need us here. They tolerate us at best.

Expats are not adding anything significant to the GDP of Thailand. Its simply about population and numbers.

Edited by Pui

Expats don't add much to the economy? Who owns and runs all the factories and employs all the Thais? I mean just think of the automotive sector, it is FULL of well known Thai companies such as Ford, GM, Toyota, Mazda, Isuzu and all the OEM suppliers to the auto industry. And what about the Hard Disk Drive industry (which actually accounts for a big % of the GDP but can't remember the figure......... I am sure some astute TV poster will question that and I am just as sure somebody will take the time to find out); it too is full of such great Thai companies as Western Digital and Seagate to name two.

So........... if all the expats left Thailand............ there would only be a drop of 1% of GDP? You gotta be kidding me.

Ladies and Gentlemen: we have a new economist here!

When you talk of car manufacturing that adds a huge amount to the Thai economy but in terms of economics that comes under the heading "Exports"

Thai exports are massive something like 70% of GDP.

Again its got nothing at all to do with expats.

Exports and expats sound similar but are wildly different.

Edited by Pui

Ladies and Gentlemen: we have a new economist here!

Export and Expats not the same

Just like

Tourists and expats are not the same.

Give me a fookn Break,M16 Gang my Arse.

I read the thread because it said "M16" Cool to be in Jail and a member of the "M16 gang" I hope the police give Grandma back the pickup.

So many lame haters bitch & complain about Pattaya any chance they get. Even when good news like this comes out....

Come on guys they caught the scum bags and recovered the victim's goods.

It's a bright light of good news in the darkness of ill press about Pattaya.

Totally agree, I like Pattaya a lot. My mate just moved down there. its a nice break for me from Bangkok where I work. Only a couple of hours down the road. Clean air, cheap hotels, good shopping, restaurants and entertainment and its easier to get around than Bangers. The night life is there if you want it. Take it or leave nobody is forcing you.

I don't know where this snobby mentality comes from.

6% gdp since when has a black economy ever produced figures & stats 5555+

the actual spin offs are far beyond what you can imagine Houses cars bikes the actual list is endless,the restrictive visas also disguise business people as that are really tourist ...millions of visitor spending money being continuously scammed anyone that thinks the economy from tourist is 6% gcp is taking all the drugs from the bib locker........How many Tourists are converted to investors from the girlie sector

You need to be blind not so to see how important the whole picture is to the thai economy Sky train BTS a new world class airport its all there for a reason & the 2 week millionaires are pivotal to its success as they are to be repeat customers & potential investors do the maths..... I fly & see dvd blue ray & tv's being flown out like clock work....... when you leave via the airport look & you will see huge amounts of goods leaving the country far beyond what I see leaving the uk airports these are the goods you can see easily watches glasses jewels... gold

you add all this together then you start to see how important Tourists are ........6% my god haha

Would love to know the source of that figure - I'm sure there aren't that many of us and I'm certain we are not that rich - 6% of an economy as big as Thailand's - where exports represent a significant contribution to factor production and internal / local consumption is driven largely by locals is not just "a large amount" it is unbeleivable. We're are just ordinary folk and there are not many of us. I hope you aren't counting all the farang tourists as part of us local residents - by the way it was the resident farangs who have been targetted by the so called M-16 gang.

GDP numbers.

GDP (purchasing power parity):

$535.8 billion (2009 est.) $555.3 billion (2008 est.) $541.2 billion (2007 est.)

Stock of direct foreign investment - abroad:

$7.013 billion (2007 est.)

Stock of direct foreign investment - at home:

$NA (31 December 2009 est.) $80.83 billion (2007 est.)

Exports:

$136.6 billion (2009 est.) $175.3 billion (2008 est.)

Read the GDP report here: http://www.theodora.com/wfbcurrent/thailand/thailand_economy.html

Interesting reading indeed.

To compare an individual's person safety in the U.S. to the likes of Rwanda, Colombia and etc. is preposterous!!

For what it's worth, I lived in Colombia and have witnessed more violence in Pattaya (and even more in the news) than I ever did down there. Go figure.

The only difference I can see between the two is, Colombia has real police (hardcore military police). They are not the keystone cops running around Thailand on scooters. Corrupt as they may be, the Colombians won't hesitate to put you to sleep. I think that is a large factor there, while the Thais know there is a good chance the BIB won't do anything at all and if they do, there is even a better chance they can't solve the crime. If I was a criminal, I would not fear the Thai police either. hel_l, they sent their "special forces" in to catch one of the red shirt leaders and he escaped out the back of the hotel down a rope. I guess they were never taught how to surround a building and cover all the exits.

Thais targeting expats? With guns no less! How novel. What about corporate rip offs, chanotes and property rip offs, theft of private property et al - and usually by brown shirt mafia otherwise knows as Police, behind the gangs who undertake the crimes. Yet nothing is done, and these guys who have just been caught - yep - they were the competition to those in brown. Good riddance but there are a lot of scumbags in Pattaya and Chonburi and not all are expats... blink.gif

To compare an individual's personal safety in the U.S. to the likes of Rwanda, Colombia and etc. is preposterous!!

I always thought the US was mostly populated by Rwandans, Colombians and Mexicans in any event. :D

:) I think they just do a better job corralling the nasty ones!!

Well that's not what this guy thinks - see photo

post-68270-094121800 1276441232_thumb.jp

Well I am not sure who or where you live and who YOUR friends are but as far as assisting the economy, I would like to think that my kind of friends and I do! We rent a houses, buy cars, spend more money on groceries in one week than most Thais do in a month, and spend more cash in local restaurants for one meal than most in a week and we DON'T frequent bars or night clubs. We are regular folks who enjoy Thailand and what it DOES have to offer. SO PLEASE DON'T JUST SHINE US OFF! FROM A RESIDENT WHO LIVES IN CHONBURI FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS.

Edited by BigSkip

Been living here for 7 years and never heard of such a gang.

In 7 years never saw any murder or anything of a kind and i am out almost every night till 5-6am

Never had a problem walking down on the beach at any time of the day-day or night.

The only trouble i ever see is tourists being bashed by security guards at the clubs( i do not agree with it, but seeing as some tourists act, they would get same treatment in any other country in the world)

So bottom line is, really unsure where some members get their stats from about crime in Pattaya

Well it certainly would not be better off., would it? 1% or 10% is still money being spent and business being supported.

Well I am not sure who or where you live and who YOUR friends are but as far as assisting the economy, I would like to think that my kind of friends and I do! We rent a houses, buy cars, spend more money on groceries in one week than most Thais do in a month, and spend more cash in local restaurants for one meal than most in a week and we DON'T frequent bars or night clubs. We are regular folks who enjoy Thailand and what it DOES have to offer. SO PLEASE DON'T JUST SHINE US OFF! FROM A RESIDENT WHO LIVES IN CHONBURI FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS.

Do not worry Bigskip, i do enough spending for the both of us in the bars and nightclubs, so i am sure together we add a nice figure to the total pool biggrin.gif

Edited by kuffki