10 Million Baht Drug Bust Nets Thai University Student And His Father

webfact

Drug Bust Nets Student, Father

Police have arrested a university student found working with his father in producing hard drug ketamine for distribution at popular Ratchadapisek Road's entertainment venues.

Twenty four-year-old Pubase Wongkaeswa and his father Nuttachai Wongkaeswa were arrested by officers from Metropolitan Police Division 2 for their alleged possession of 408 bottles of liquid ketamine, 11 bags of powder ketamine, 100 tablets of another unknown illicit drug and a large amount of drug paraphernalia.

The arrests followed earlier police apprehension of 24-year-old Supajate Suthiwanich for alleged possession of one bottle of liquid ketamine.

He told police that he purchased the drug from Pubase, leading investigators to set up a sting operation that also allowed them to find Pubase's father and his cache of drug-processing tools.

The father and son have admitted to producing and distributing the hard drug for over a year now with the help of an unidentified supplier they contacted through their relative Jarin Wongkaeswa.

Jarin, Pubase's uncle, is currently serving a 35-year sentence at the Bangkok Remand Prison on narcotics charges.

All of the substances seized during the operation have a combined street value of 10 million baht.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-06-15

footer_n.gif

Don't you just love news headlines that will phrase the headline in most anyway to gain your attention/get you to read the article. Putting the word "student" in the headline implies you are going to read something about a elementary/high school age student selling drugs to oher students in the school. But no, this article just goes on to say the he was a 24 year old university student selling drugs at entertainment venues. I expect this student was signed up for one course per year...probably a chemistry course.

From Wiki: Ketamine has a wide range of effects in humans, including analgesia, anesthesia, hallucinations, elevatedblood pressure, and bronchodilation.[6] Ketamine is primarily used for the induction and maintenance of general anesthesia, usually in combination with some sedative drug. Other uses include sedation in intensive care,analgesia (particularly in emergency medicine), and treatment of bronchospasm. It is also a popular anesthetic in veterinary medicine.

From Wiki: Ketamine has a wide range of effects in humans, including analgesia, anesthesia, hallucinations, elevatedblood pressure, and bronchodilation.[6] Ketamine is primarily used for the induction and maintenance of general anesthesia, usually in combination with some sedative drug. Other uses include sedation in intensive care,analgesia (particularly in emergency medicine), and treatment of bronchospasm. It is also a popular anesthetic in veterinary medicine.

Several years ago we had a wildlife biologist studying bears and he used ketamine to knock out the bears for closer study. He decided his female assistant needed closer study and gave her a dose, he was found guilty of rape.

Several years ago we had a wildlife biologist studying bears and he used ketamine to knock out the bears for closer study. He decided his female assistant needed closer study and gave her a dose, he was found guilty of rape.

I have heard of it being used as a date rape drug as well as rupies? What ever that is...

Horse tranqualiser...must be one hel_l of a party down at Ratchada...sleepy.gif

Calling it horse tranquiliser is just sensationalism. It is also used in hospitals on old people and children as a more mild general anesthetic.

I have heard of it being used as a date rape drug as well as rupies? What ever that is...

Roofies. Rohypnol.

Roofies. Rohypnol.

Yeah, that's it! Hum how do you know what it's called? cool.gif

Wiki again: Date rape drug refers to a drug that can be used to assist in the commission of a sexual assault, such as date rape. Drugs used to facilitate rape may have sedative, hypnotic, dissociative, and/or amnesiac effects, and can be added to a food or drink without the victim's knowledge.The act of adding such substances to drinks is known as "drink spiking". The reasons for drink spiking range from personal amusement or maliciousness to theft or (sexual) assault.[1]

Sounds like some similar effects to Ketamine....

I wonder if the whole family will get to serve their time in the same prison?

Probably; it's better for them to cook together.

LaoPo rolleyes.gif

I wonder if you'd be so glib if, instead of ketamine for recreational use, the young student was producing [insert your drug of choice here - Xanax / Valium / Ambien / alcohol? nicotine? caffeine?] after production and supply of [your drug] was prohibited by the government of the day...not regulated. Prohibited.

Whilst the law must be respected, whether back home or in the US or in Bangkok, whenever I read one of these reports I can't help but feel that the punishment is far too severe for the crime. I mean, where are the victims of this crime? You would think they would be coming forward with complaints against the criminal - if they existed?

A crime with no victims? Not sure I would laugh about such a 'criminal' facing a hellish future in prison :)