Will A Tv Bought N Usa Work In Thailand?

junglechef

Not the same television system, either. Thailand is PAL and the US is NTSC.

There are some tv's in Thailand that can switch between the two, but i have never seen a US tv which can switch to PAL.

No point in doing this, even if your current tv is a high end model,

sell it or store it.

1'st, Customs at the airport will ascertain their own value to it.

As a example say 10,000 baht plus an additional 700 baht for the 7% VAT.

They will smile when they say you must pay them 10,700 baht, or dump it.

You are not allowed to ship it back.

2'nd, The power requirements of your tv is most likely 60 Hz 115 VAC.

In Thailand it is 50 Hz and 230 VAC.

It may "dual voltage" at 50/60 Hz and 115/230 VAC,

but see the next...

3'rd, The broadcasting signal in the US is NTSC.

In Thailand it is PAL. The majority of the world is PAL.

I have a "New" RCA 21" from the US in 1995. Unused.

It does not work here. You can have it for free.

I also advise against bringing any other A/V equipment...

stereo, dvd, tape.

A dvd player from the US will be "locked" to region code 1.

A laptop is safe, but a full sized computer well,

check to see if the power supply is switchable, if not then

you need to buy a new power supply.

Entertainment (gaming) units such as PS2, PS3, Xbox ect.,

most likely may have problems.

In March we purchased a Panasonic 32" LCD Viara Model TH-L32X10T2,

(that size because it fits in the furniture)

and a Pioneer DVD Model DV-420v-k.

For around 16,000 baht total.

Both units are dual voltage and play both NTSC and PAL.

They can be taken back to the US, or anywhere else.

The dvd player has a HDMI output, usb port in the front, plays avi,swf,mpg and other files.

It is also "region free", will play any region coded disc, 0~9.

But it is not Blu-Ray.

The tv has a HDMI input, 3 av imputs, a SD slot for a camera card.

As to tv brands, I like Panasonic or LG.

I avoid Samsung, Sony and off-brand names. I've had too many problems with them

So enough,

I suggest you look at other forums, sub-forums here on TV, such as

- Internet, computers, communication, technology at

Internet, computers, communication, technology - Thailand Forum

and perhaps it's sub-forum of,

Audio/Visual, HiFi and Home Theatre, at

Audio/Visual, HiFi and Home Theatre - Thailand Forum

best of luck

cheers

Edited by howto

Not the same television system, either.  Thailand is PAL and the US is NTSC.

There are some tv's in Thailand that can switch between the two, but i have never seen a US tv which can switch to PAL.

Most TV's outside the US are multi-standard PAL/SECAM/NTSC, but not sure if the same is true of US produced models??

My new Samsung Series 6 LCD is also 100-240V 50/60Hz so no problems there either.

Leaving technicalities aside, I agree about the customs problems :)

Not the same television system, either. Thailand is PAL and the US is NTSC.

Most TV's outside the US are multi-standard PAL/SECAM/NTSC, but not sure if the same is true of US produced models??

My new Samsung Series 6 LCD is also 100-240V 50/60Hz so no problems there either.

Leaving technicalities aside, I agree about the customs problems :)

I thought customs won't charge if it's used electronics? So, just take it out of the box, use it, repack it?

TV's are less in the US than here. But they are the wrong voltage and are 60 Hz not 50 HZ power supplies. I've never see a dual voltage TV or tri-mode tuner there. You can buy a large converter though, depending on the wattage the TV draws. It doesn't matter if it's NTSC or PAL, if you are not using the internal tuner, ie: cable or through the air reception, but in general they are NTSC. If you signal is from something such as UBC DST, or a DVD player it wouldn't matter. But if I was to buy a new TV it would be a Samsung. All the vidiots (I'm a union sound guy "soundpuke to them") I work with say they are number one. I have two CRT Samsungs here, one "HD." But there are now all of two HD channels available in Thailand and I haven't seen Blue Ray DVD or player anywhere. So, until there is a better signal, why upgrade? Unless of course my four year old TV dies.

• 5 weeks later...

Bad move to buy a TV in the U.S. and bring it over due to shipping/customs costs and since the TV may not be able to display a PAL signal or use 220V/50Hz.. Probable end result: you'll buy a TV in Thailand and be mad as heck you wasted your money in buying the U.S. TV.

The PAL/NTSC (never twice the same color) are the color systems used as well as having different broadcast standards. But the big catch is that the US does not even use analog tuning anymore (all broadcasting is digital) so there would be no easy way to use for anything but an NTSC monitor. And you don't need that.

PAL/NTSC also comes into the use as a monitor.

US produced DVD's will be in NTSC, PAL for other parts of the world.

The signals from a settop box will vary according to the channel being viewed,

eg Japan is NTSC.

The decoding chips have been universal, PAL/NTSC/SECAM for a long time, certainly before the

days of LCD/Plasma screens

• 2 months later...

I've just brought in a Vizio VF551XVT LED TV - it was worth paying the duty to get this tv in, far cheaper than any 55" LED models currently available in Thailand. This tv works on 100 - 240v so it works fine in Thailand. The only problem I have is that the Cable tv signal is PAL and tv analogue tuner is NTSC. I have a PAL to NTSC converter but this does not accept a standard RF cable input (previously used in Singapore where the cable tv had a set-top box and HDMI output). Does anyone know whether I can get a PAL to NTSC converter than accepts a RF input in Phuket? If not I will order from the US.

For now I will just watch my Blu-Ray discs in stunning 55" LED glory :-)

I've just brought in a Vizio VF551XVT LED TV - it was worth paying the duty to get this tv in, far cheaper than any 55" LED models currently available in Thailand. This tv works on 100 - 240v so it works fine in Thailand. The only problem I have is that the Cable tv signal is PAL and tv analogue tuner is NTSC. I have a PAL to NTSC converter but this does not accept a standard RF cable input (previously used in Singapore where the cable tv had a set-top box and HDMI output). Does anyone know whether I can get a PAL to NTSC converter than accepts a RF input in Phuket? If not I will order from the US.

For now I will just watch my Blu-Ray discs in stunning 55" LED glory :-)

Could you pass it through an old video player or dvd recorder?

Some of the newest models (mine included) can be upgraded/moded via S/W on the USB connection so you may be able to re-set from NTSC to PAL. Samsung LCD models in the U.S. which I looked at had 100-240/50-60 AC connections. My set is ~ 2% more expensive in the U.S. (exclusive of promotions and sales tax). I'd worry more about, 1.) Warranty, 2.) transport/shipping. Checked bags do not get treated all that well.

Unless there is some overriding concern then I'd recommend purchasing locally.

Now PC components are a different story; other than a case I bring back everything (motherboards, CPUs, PSUs, memory, HDDs, OS, et al.).

• 4 months later...

I just brought my flat screen in the box I purchased it in a year ago and when I arrived at the CM airport 3 weeks ago they did ask me if it was new and I said no because it wasnt...the box was my extra bag and it didnt cost me a penny...or anything at the airport...thank God

Because I can't get the dam_n this to work right..I saw a couple ch's, very bad and sound on one so really wished I had left it at home or just sold it...I may just try connecting to my laptop for games I like to watch back is Seattle...since

The old NTSC/PAL thing is very much a thing of the past.

UBC Boxes, PS3's, Blurays, Dvd Players, Apple TV's. Roku's, WDTV - No concern with NTSC/PAL.

DVD region lock is still an issue however as we move into the Bluray and media streaming devices again it is not that important - noting that BLU-RAY region in Asia is the same as US.