Phuket: Cameroonian Members Of Money Fraud Gang Arrested

webfact

Cameroonian men arrested in counterfeiting banknotes

PHUKET (TNA) -- Local police arrested two Cameroonian men charging them with fraud and seized their briefcase of counterfeit Euros and dollars among other items.

In the bag, dusty papers in grey and red were found delicately cut in the size of Thai banknotes.

Police said that Andra Sieyanou, 49, and Kenmoue, 43, are members of an African money gang. According to police, they deceived their victims by already earning Bt900,000 from them in Phuket's Kathu district on Monday.

However, the two men denied the charges during initial investigation. They are now detained for further questioning.

Police said the gang members work as a team by visiting different tourist cities including Bangkok. They claim that they can turn the pieces of paper into banknotes for real use as money by coating them with chemicals, but that victims are requested to pay for the chemicals first before the money-making process can begin.

Provincial police here have arrested this type of deceiver many times, according to police record. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-06-16

Police said that Andra Sieyanou, 49, and Kenmoue, 43, are members of an African money gang. According to police, they deceived their victims by already earning Bt900,000 from them in Phuket's Kathu district on Monday...

Who did they get 900,000 Bht from? from Thai or farang? What part of Kathu? Patong? I'm guessing Thai, as why would they arrest someone for stealing from a farang in Phuket? Isn't that standard operating procedure?unsure.gif

Police said the gang members work as a team by visiting different tourist cities including Bangkok. They claim that they can turn the pieces of paper into banknotes for real use as money by coating them with chemicals, but that victims are requested to pay for the chemicals first before the money-making process can begin.

Again, would a farang fall for this from some guys from Cameroon? I'm sure a person from any country can be duped, soory for their loss. Did the "police" recover this 900,000 Baht? I always love the "reporting" I read around here. It seems to leave me with more questions, than answers...

A common and well known scam,makes you wonder how stupid/desperate some people are.

I personally think sheer greed over rides both of those but add a bit of stupidity & desperation like you say & ...............:)