Do You Find It Cheaper To Use An Electric Fan Or Airconditioning?

BillStrangeOgre

If i use the airconditioner at say 23-24 centigrade while i'm at home or use an electric fan which would be cheaper to use in your experience, or is there not much difference?

<deleted>. :blink:

thanks to all who helped clear up this tricky issue.

while i have your attention, could any tell me if it would be cheaper to drink water or beer?

Depends if you're a pompous poof partial to Perrier or a cheap Charlie Chang chugger. :lol:

If i use the airconditioner at say 23-24 centigrade while i'm at home or use an electric fan which would be cheaper to use in your experience, or is there not much difference?

<deleted>. :blink:

while i have your attention, could any tell me if it would be cheaper to drink water or beer?

Depends if you're a pompous poof partial to Perrier or a cheap Charlie Chang chugger. :lol:

:cheesy:

Do you fellas not have punka-wallas?

How the other half lives, eh?

SC

In all seriousness, I leave the windows open on both sides of the apartment, and its quite economic, and lovely, except Aug - Apr during rubbish-burning season. And you soon find out about holes in the mosquito netting as well - though not soon enough. And you need to remember to hold the door while it shuts, on the upwind side of the apartment...

SC

This website is very useful (http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cooling.html)

Shows how fans do more than just blow hot air around. The hottest air is usually the air around you as your body heat heats it up. A fan blows that hot air away from you and allows your body to cool faster. Also shows different energy use (e.g. a small air-con. is equivalent to about 12 ceiling fans).

Lots of other hints and tips to.

Granted the hottest air is around you , assuming air temp is lower than body temp, but it will not cool the air below ambient temperature.

It will actually....Fans cause your sweat to evaporate. The evaporating sweat will cause the air to become cooler. Not by much maybe but the effect on your skin is signifigent.

Edited by harrry

i live in one room apartment. i have got a new mitsubishi AC, TV, small refrigerator and a small music system. i have hot shower but i don't run everyday.

I turn on the AC every night for about 10 hours a day.

Last month my bill was whopping 2300 baht. i think it is too much. They are charging 7 baht an unit.

i live in one room apartment. i have got a new mitsubishi AC, TV, small refrigerator and a small music system. i have hot shower but i don't run everyday.

Last month my bill was whopping 2300 baht. i think it is too much. They are charging 7 baht an unit.

the rate is roughly 3 baht per kwh, or 3.5 with tax and other charges

This website is very useful (http://michaelblueja...y/cooling.html)

Shows how fans do more than just blow hot air around. The hottest air is usually the air around you as your body heat heats it up. A fan blows that hot air away from you and allows your body to cool faster. Also shows different energy use (e.g. a small air-con. is equivalent to about 12 ceiling fans).

Granted the hottest air is around you , assuming air temp is lower than body temp, but it will not cool the air below ambient temperature.

It will actually....Fans cause your sweat to evaporate. The evaporating sweat will cause the air to become cooler. Not by much maybe but the effect on your skin is signifigent.

you will need to sweat buckets to have an effect on the air around you,

Any idea how many kwh per unit?

my apartment owner is making money charging me 7 baht an unit.....but i have noticed most of the apartments charges this much unless it is a condo....

Any idea how many kwh per unit?

If he is being billed 7 baht per kwh for electric use by the owner then I would guesstimate the kwh hours for 2300 baht charges would be about 328 kwh. If he were paying directly to the supplier and not the building owner then his bill would be about 1,192 baht total.

Based on the description of use this is a normal usage for these appliances IMHO

After paying my 4000 baht electricity tab for one, occasionally air-conditioned room in a Chiang Mai residence hotel, I went to my neighborhood supplier and bought a fan.

The landlady tells me I've gone from a daily average of 40 units to an average of 8 since changing over.

Letting my body acclimate to the heat has had the side benefit of making my outdoor activities a lot more tolerable, and I'm actually finding myself avoiding prolonged exposure to A/C.

It's just so much harder to leave a 23-24C room and walk around when it's 38C outside!

It WAS a tricky issue, wasn't it? Now, as to whether it would be cheaper to drink water or beer, that would rather depend on socio-economic-religious factors applicable at the time and place of need. And the time of day.

This question is unfair...I can't drink very much water.

[

If he is being billed 7 baht per kwh for electric use by the owner then I would guesstimate the kwh hours for 2300 baht charges would be about 328 kwh. If he were paying directly to the supplier and not the building owner then his bill would be about 1,192 baht total.

Based on the description of use this is a normal usage for these appliances IMHO

Last month I paid the landlady 2400 for similar @7 per unit too.

This website is very useful (http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cooling.html)

Yes quite correct but your'e gonna be drinking an awful lot of fluids and be extremely wet, give me the air any day of the week especially over about 32c.