Condo Responsibility

willyumcr

I am renting a furnished condo. Been here 1 1/2 years. So far no problems with landlord. However a wall fan went out. My question is who is responsible to have it repaired or buy new? Condo came with fan, is it not owners responsibility to fix / replace. Also what happens if TV goes out (old). Do I have to replace or does owner? Thanks

To be honest, you are renting everything in the condo that isn't yours, if stuff breaks down through normal wear and tear then the owner will be resposible, if you break something then the resposibility would be yours.................simple

Does depend on your lease, to be fair one would expect it to be repaired/replaced at the owners expense if failed due to "Fair Were & Tear" but there again this is Thailand (TIT).

Best advice, always get a written lease agreement and read it, if in Thai get it translated, before signing.

I own a condo and rent it out. I specify in the lease what is the renters responsibility if it breaks or gets broke

If the lease does not clearly define who is responsible then it leaves open a possible can of worms when these things happen. If it is a Thai written lease with no translation it is always best to have someone read and explain it to you before signing.

There are just as many bad renters as there are bad landlords. Either side can get screwed in the rental game. CYA.

It's surprising how few people check this before they sign a lease. I've heard all sorts of horror stories, like one guy who had to pay to have the roof of his rented house repaired because he hadn't read or properly understood what was in the contract. My own lease is a standard East Coast Real Estate contract and specifies that I have to pay for minor repairs up to 500 Baht/month. The fridge gave up a year ago and the Thai owner replaced it without any arguments. I've had several things go wrong over the years that cost less than 500 Baht to fix but the owner still paid up if I gave her a receipt. Remember that there are far more rooms in Pattaya than reliable tenants at the moment, so you have an advantage there if you want to negotiate with the owner.

To be honest, you are renting everything in the condo that isn't yours, if stuff breaks down through normal wear and tear then the owner will be resposible, if you break something then the resposibility would be yours.................simple

Hello Smedly. Yes, this is what I believe also. I am not worried to take care of fans etc. Just don't want to buy new TV or Refrigerator. Yes, if I drop or break I would buy new but don't want to replace if it is not through my fault.

Wear and tear = owner's responsibility! It is a good idea to include in a rental agreement, that small repairs (up to x,000 Bht) should be paid by the lessee.

Edited by moo9

• 2 weeks later...

If I was your landlord, a good 1-1/2 year-long tenant is a point I would consider too. If everything else is in a good shape the owner should say Mai Pen Rai and pay the bill, that's my opinion.

That's exactly what happened. While she agreed to buy a new fan she did say that I would be responsible for the new one as it is new and I am using it. I disagreed with this also as I rented the condo with a fan. She reconsidered and said I would not be responsible unless I broke it. I have had no problems with this landlady and still don't. Just wanted to get this worked out in case something big goes out like TV or air conditioner or refrigerator. Thanks for all the feedback

If I was your landlord, a good 1-1/2 year-long tenant is a point I would consider too. If everything else is in a good shape the owner should say Mai Pen Rai and pay the bill, that's my opinion.

That's exactly what happened. While she agreed to buy a new fan she did say that I would be responsible for the new one as it is new and I am using it. I disagreed with this also as I rented the condo with a fan. She reconsidered and said I would not be responsible unless I broke it. I have had no problems with this landlady and still don't. Just wanted to get this worked out in case something big goes out like TV or air conditioner or refrigerator. Thanks for all the feedback

For rent: condo - furnished THB 10,000 and condo not-furnished THB 6500 per month.

Pretty easy: You pay for the furniture and everything that's in the condo at the time you moved in.

One can not be expected to pay rent for the furniture (incl. a/c, tv and fridge) and repair/replace it when it's broke.

Take care, that a list of containings is attached to the contract.