24 Hour Non Stop Binge - My Body Has Broken Out Into Red Spots

Mobi

I can only say that if you are self-aware enough to write into a public forum, then you should have the common-sense to realise you have a major drinking problem

Sort it out.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that?!

SC

Timing is everything. I can't believe that I paused before I posted the above just loong enough...

8>< SNIP NESTED QUOTES AND BICKERING DELETED ><8

numbering added to avoid dangerous confusion

1) For those who may be interested, I have now been sober for one week and feeling pretty good, despite huge mood swings and a struggle with anger management. But that goes with the territory.

2) No progress on my sex addiction though, I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

1) The first week of sobriety is the hardest - no, the second-hardest. The last week of sobriety is worse - I've been putting it off a couple of months now...

2) You could try aversion therapy by overdosing...

SC

I wish you luck, so that you find the willingness within yourself to give up permanently. Having stopped myself in mid March I was doing pretty well, until I went away just prior to the troubles. Slipped off the wagon for several days, and for a few after returning to Bangkok. I'm now back on the wagon. For me the greatest thing about not drinking is waking up and feeling fine. This did not manifest itself in the first month - the detoxification made me feel very tired most of the time, and I was sleeping very deeply, (fantastic - I usually do not sleep well). There are some elements of that tiredness now, but not as bad as during the initial abstinence. I'm having a blood test this week - the reason I gave up was because my blood sugars were far too high, and I was anaemic - all the result of alcohol abuse. I've considered that I might resume drinking if I can keep it under control, but maybe I'm just being naive. I never thought of myself as an alcoholic, but just someone who couldn't control the amount I had, once I'd started. I had days when I didn't touch it, or even think about it. Now, since I've stopped I only sometimes think about it at around the cocktail hour, and then the urge passes. In the times that I started drinking again, (whilst away), I realised that the pleasure that I received was short-lived, and was certainly superseded by the pain of the hangover. I find I deal with the whole concept when I think of alcohol as poison; nobody sane would willingly consume poison, but that's what we do. (Vide Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol.)

I wish you luck, so that you find the willingness within yourself to give up permanently. Having stopped myself in mid March I was doing pretty well, until I went away just prior to the troubles. Slipped off the wagon for several days, and for a few after returning to Bangkok. I'm now back on the wagon. For me the greatest thing about not drinking is waking up and feeling fine. This did not manifest itself in the first month - the detoxification made me feel very tired most of the time, and I was sleeping very deeply, (fantastic - I usually do not sleep well). There are some elements of that tiredness now, but not as bad as during the initial abstinence. I'm having a blood test this week - the reason I gave up was because my blood sugars were far too high, and I was anaemic - all the result of alcohol abuse. I've considered that I might resume drinking if I can keep it under control, but maybe I'm just being naive. I never thought of myself as an alcoholic, but just someone who couldn't control the amount I had, once I'd started. I had days when I didn't touch it, or even think about it. Now, since I've stopped I only sometimes think about it at around the cocktail hour, and then the urge passes. In the times that I started drinking again, (whilst away), I realised that the pleasure that I received was short-lived, and was certainly superseded by the pain of the hangover. I find I deal with the whole concept when I think of alcohol as poison; nobody sane would willingly consume poison, but that's what we do. (Vide Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol.)

Thank you for your post and I wish you good luck also.

I am sorry, but something you have written is a contradiction in terms: I never thought of myself as an alcoholic, but just someone who couldn't control the amount I had, once I'd started.

One of the accepted definitions of an alcoholic is someone who cannot control the amount he or she drinks.

I have stopped drinking many times for varying periods of time, the longest last year for over three months, but always relapsed.

This year I tried desperately hard to believe I could control my consumption, and indeed for many days and weeks I did just that. But slowly and surely the sessions became longer and I became drunker and behaved worse and worse. It all ended in a non stop binge of which I have written about in this thread.

I now totally accept that I can never control my drinking in the long term. That doesn't mean I won't relapse, but it does mean that I will never try to kid myself again. If I start drinking again, it will end up in grief, that is for sure.

First time in 6 months I slipped over my 2 pint limit.....bearing in mind my 2 pint limit is on the now rare occasions I do drink probably less than once a month. I consumed around 8 pints I guess!! thing is I knew it would happen, I prepared, ate well before I went out, did all the chores so I could rest and recouperate the following day.

The beer on the night was free, and a meal, so I ate and drank my fill!!!........even rode my bicycle part of the way home, but was sober enough to know where not to ride.

Felt pretty rough the following day as expected.

So how do I evaluate this situation? I have not had a drink since, but that is my way, I very rarely drink now anyway, as said above I hate losing the following day feeling rough. I know I can't always be in control, but am I allowed to forgive my self one night out in 6 months. I think I can. But how does somebody who is not me see it?

I am sorry, but something you have written is a contradiction in terms: I never thought of myself as an alcoholic, but just someone who couldn't control the amount I had, once I'd started.

One of the accepted definitions of an alcoholic is someone who cannot control the amount he or she drinks.

What I'm trying to say is that even though it is an accepted definition, I thought I was different. Even though I couldn't control how much I drank each time, because I didn't drink everyday, and sometimes not for many days, I thought I was not addicted. I realise now that I am. Whether I shall be able to do as 473geo has done, is yet to be seen. But the underlying incentive is the hideous feeling, with which all of us are all too familiar, of how awful we feel afterwards, both physically and mentally, (and in the latter case sometimes only for the bits we remember).

Edited by samtam

First time in 6 months I slipped over my 2 pint limit.....bearing in mind my 2 pint limit is on the now rare occasions I do drink probably less than once a month. I consumed around 8 pints I guess!! thing is I knew it would happen, I prepared, ate well before I went out, did all the chores so I could rest and recouperate the following day.

The beer on the night was free, and a meal, so I ate and drank my fill!!!........even rode my bicycle part of the way home, but was sober enough to know where not to ride.

So how do I evaluate this situation? I have not had a drink since, but that is my way, I very rarely drink now anyway, as said above I hate losing the following day feeling rough. I know I can't always be in control, but am I allowed to forgive my self one night out in 6 months. I think I can. But how does somebody who is not me see it?

I don't think I ever really got into trouble when I knew how much I'd had to drink.

I shouldn't worry about others' opinions. You are 'allowed' to forgive yourself for drinking yourself into the gutter and to the point of death. It's up to you. I think, though, you're confusing tolerance and foregiveness - tolerance of what continues to happen, foregiveness of what has happened in the past.

SC

What I'm trying to say is that even though it is an accepted definition, I thought I was different. Even though I couldn't control how much I drank each time, because I didn't drink everyday, and sometimes not for many days, I thought I was not addicted. I realise now that I am. Whether I shall be able to do as 473geo has done, is yet to be seen. But the underlying incentive is the hideous feeling, with which all of us are all too familiar, of how awful we feel afterwards, both physically and mentally, (and in the latter case sometimes only for the bits we remember).

I think every 'practising' alcoholic, including me, thinks they are different :)

But deep down, you know the truth.

This time round it has taken me almost 6 months to prove, yet again, that I am not different and that I cannot control my drinking.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to 3 or 4 meetings a day at first cuz I couldn't afford a treatment center.

But I made it. Nothing could make me drink, they said - no person, no place, no-thing. They were right. I did what the guys staying sober said to do and it worked.

I was hopeless and they gave me hope it could work for me too. It did. 25 years now for this wretch.

Hang in and work the program like your life depends on it. It will work if you thoroughly follow a well worn path.

Go to a Dr for medical issues. But tell him/her that you're a drunk/addict in recovery. Maybe they're hip, they should be if not. Don't get an Rx for Tylox to come down easy, take the edge off -is what I mean.

Edited by ding

Hi again Mobi

Even though we are talking about life and death here, some of the posts here gave me a good 'positive' laugh (I haven't had one for months).

I managed to drink almost continually for almost a week, and the only food I took was the V's.

I ended up at in emergency room, and am now at detox again.

Insanity?

Congrats' with your week (it really doesn't matter if you still have it (or more) or you lost it - every sober day is a gift).

philo

I don't know. Sober 1 week today, but the craving is still there. So instead of 10 beers a day, it is now 20 cakes a day (the sweeter the better). But at least the cakes will only kill my teeth ...

Well done on the week. Every day is a victory, and maybe makes tomorrow a little easier.

I've started counting again and feel like I am starting a new life...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/376421-your-last-meal/

SC

I would see it as progress mate. Also, recognising that you can't be in control all the time and allowing yourself to lose that control will remind you exactly why you have the two pint limit.

I think you can do more than forgive yourself, you can congratulate yourself for all the other nights in the six months when you didn't drink too much.

I'm not you, and that's how I see it :)

my last binge lasted 72 hours non-stop and if a kind soul from AA hadn't 'rescued' me I'd probably be dead already.

Two weeks ago I fell over and severely smashed my right wrist and had to have a metal plate inserted to meld all the broken pieces back in pace. I have probably lost full use of my hand forever.

I am a walking disaster - no doubt about that. The stories I could tell.....

Been doing bit of research. It seems that my body became dehydrated which has caused the skin condition and accounts for the rapid weight loss.

I have started taking electrolytes and see if there is any improvement. If not I will go to a doc tomorrow.

And I will try to stay off the booze....

It's quite obvious that you have not hit "your" bottom yet, many die before they do, wake up, bite the bullet and don't ever have the first drink again, as you should know it is a sickness, smoking, drugs same, this taper off crap, does not work, you stop or it stops you, hard ball my friend, step up to the plate, talk to the powers above, ask for help and seek a doctor for mind and body, if it is not already to late, no need to brag about stupid no brain-er actions, get smart, grow up or die, of course one must want to live, for all of this to work, they never said it would be easy, Good Luck.

Hi Mobi

For what it's worth...

I have found the only way is to say NO to yourself, and to others. I find it easy to say no to others, but saying no to yourself, it's that much harder. View each day as a victory, and never ever think that the problem goes away. I was sober for over six years, fell off the wagon for over two years, just passed my year back on the wagon again. Sure, sometimes your body screams at you, give me a drink, just a little one... But you know where that leads, don't you? Fight it! Think of the benefits of being clean, how great it feels, how everything else in life gets easier to handle. You know you want that. One day at a time, never ever change that view. Some people say, hey a day off is no problem, if that works for them GOOD :) but I don't have that ability, it's all or nothing. I have opted for the nothing! When the craving kicks in, do something else, drink something else. I go for lots of strong coffee.

Sex addiction, pretty positive in comparison. As long as you don't hurt anyone else, and don't risk your health. if you have a partner who's happy to help you, no harm done. I wouldn't ever compare that with addiction to drink. Many would disagree with me, sure, but I'd say it's the actions and attitudes that cause the harm, it's not the sex.

The research shows the drink addiction is down to brain function, that's why the "get a grip" mentality doesn't work, you can't get rid of the desire. But you can control it, fight it, and you can beat it. If AA worked for you before, why not go back to them?

I think every 'practising' alcoholic, including me, thinks they are different :)

But deep down, you know the truth.

This time round it has taken me almost 6 months to prove, yet again, that I am not different and that I cannot control my drinking.

Good luck.

:blink:

Well the good news is your still alive. The bad news is your killing yourself slowly...or not so slowly depending on the anmount of alcohol you continue to consume.

Just for your information...the Alchohol molecue is somewhat similar chemically to the sugar/gluclose molecues that your body uses to "feed" the cells in your body. Your bodies cells ingest these sugars, use the energy to power the cells, then expells the "used up" molecues, which are then urinated out naturally. The problem with the Alchohol molecues is that as they are chemically similiar to these energy laden sugar/gluclose molecues, but they tie up the receptors on the cell walls as they are not properly expelled. So when you drink Alchohol, the molecues do not give your cells the proper energy boost,and afterwards are not expelled from the cells. The cells receptors are therefore blocked, and you do not get the required energy for your cells. That is why even after you stop drinking you get a "hangover" effect...until at least 24 to 48 hours later when your bodies cells finally managed to expel the Alchohol molecues and your cells can start "feeding" again.

The rash you are experiencing is the first stage of your body starving...because the normal sugars in your blood are being blocked by the Alchohol molecues you injested. So your cells are dying...starving without their normal sugar "feed". If you keep drinking like this, eventually you will kill yourself.

You can overcome the effects for now with rest, recuperation, and replacing your electrolytes and getting your blood sugar/glucose level back to the point where your cells start functioning normally again. But if you keep on with the binge drinking, eventually you will run yourself down to the point where you won't keep recovering. Liver damage is the big problem that usually gets the binge drinker in the end.

But you probably know or understand that all the binge drinking is slowly killing you step-by-step anyhow.

You can overcome the effects of each binge drinking bout...but eventually you will wear your self out.

The only real choice is to stop what you are doing...no more binge drinking bouts.

:annoyed:

I was telling my Dr. about the rash a friend had on his leg from hep. c treatment. He says well his liver looks just like that as well.

The red blotches were just a secondary manifestation of what your liver looked liked.

Good luck on your drinking the solution is different for us all. Afriend just came back from the funeral of an old friend who drank himself to death.

Thanks SC.

My last meal is properly described in the relevant thread.

Good Luck on you too.

ph

Well, the life after is not going so well. I've not been able to count very high, but I have managed to weave some insanity back into my life.

I suppose its just a matter of building a new life, one brick at a time, and maybe I should have started building at the bottom.

Still, if life was perfect it could only get worse. As it is, things could get a lot better or a lot worse, and its pretty much up to us which way to go...

SC

Reading this thread, I am proud of all of you for your efforts (successful and still-in-progress) to stop taking the drug alcohol (socially approved code word = drinking). I was fortunate enough to let that ball and chain go three years ago, and I have never looked back. Every day is a gift.

• 2 months later...

I used to break out into the red blotches from time to time..hasn't happened for a while now.

I could never find any real rhyme or reason, but ALWAYS after heavy drinking...I mean, it didn't seem to matter what I drank, whether I mixed beer and spirits, whether or not I drank a lot of water while boozing, whether I was in a hot or cold environment, or what have you, just sometimes it happened and sometimes it didn't.

Never had it last more than a few hours though. I would usually disappear somewhere, stay in an ice cold shower for 15 minutes or so, then it would fade. Felt slightly hot flushed, but not itchy. And I would notice it appear on sensitive parts of my body first, like around bruises, bites, scratches, etc. Would probably happen once a month or so.

Come to think of it, I think it might have usually, but not always happened on the second day of drinking...

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5903797_skin-rashes-alcoholism-liver-disease.html

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this thread, I am proud of all of you for your efforts (successful and still-in-progress) to stop taking the drug alcohol (socially approved code word = drinking). I was fortunate enough to let that ball and chain go three years ago, and I have never looked back. Every day is a gift.

Right on kpmsprtd. The world is a better place without folks like me and you rippin and tearin anymore.

From the link above;

"Red Skin Inflammation

Because an abnormal liver cannot remove toxins and wastes properly, cannot properly retain or distribute vitamins and nutrients, and cannot properly metabolize fat or sugar for normal blood circulation, visible skin affects of redness and inflammation occur. These effects are common on the skin of the palms and soles."

Also, the W.C. Fields red nose deal is pretty common. That's a physical reaction to alcohol too, I've read.

Edited by ding

• 4 weeks later...

After years of serious alcohol abuse I developed a blotchy skin that rapidly progressed to cover much of my body. It was finally diagnosed as psoriasis, a common ailment among drunks, and one of the few skin afflictions absolutely linked to alcohol. I quit drinking (at AA) and it went away. Very nasty stuff.

Other components of my life are also good -- in fact I feel freer than I ever have.

• 4 weeks later...