Help Please

snowflake

Ok, a diet is in the making...

I am too dumb to understand how the chalories work and all that... Does anyone have a specific diet they use that I can copy?

example

Monday

Breakfast

3 pcs of fried chicken

1L of coke

Lunch

KFC menu 4

Coke

Dinner

Pizza company!!! Lots of coke for that too...

I just cant understand the whole what to eat... I need help here... For the record, I do not eat those meals like that...

Ok, it was a bad attempt on a joke from my side...

What I meant was that I would like some help by people who understand what to eat and when to eat it... I don't understand the whole chalories and fat and oil and portions... I need some simple help...

I am today starting a new diet, I wonder how good it is, I guess it will not be the best one but comments please...

Morning,

one small apple and two yogurts (the small ones with low fat in them)... and some grapes (I love grapes, my body does not!!)

1 bottle of Lipton Ice Tea-

Lunch

Yellow rice with chicken- water or maybe a small can of coke (I like coke)...

Dinner

Not sure yet... HELP

I cant edit my own post so this will come as well...

If I feel peckish I will have an apple or some grapes... (Bought a few Kg of these when I went to had yai last friday)... they are NICE!!!

(No plums or cherries there now... :-(

Ok, it was a bad attempt on a joke from my side...

What I meant was that I would like some help by people who understand what to eat and when to eat it... I don't understand the whole chalories and fat and oil and portions... I need some simple help...

I am today starting a new diet, I wonder how good it is, I guess it will not be the best one but comments please...

Morning,

one small apple and two yogurts (the small ones with low fat in them)... and some grapes (I love grapes, my body does not!!)

1 bottle of Lipton Ice Tea-

Lunch

Yellow rice with chicken- water or maybe a small can of coke (I like coke)...

Dinner

Not sure yet... HELP

Dinner,

Buy some pacific dorry from the carefour and grill it in your oven. Also buy some Yams and eat them with the fish you just prepared.

Ok, tell me what is wrong here...

Breakfast around 0850 - two small yogurts, 1 apple and a bottle of Ice tea...

Lunch around 1430 - Fried rice with chickent -fried egg on top, 1 bottle of water...

dinner around 1800 - small portion of pasta with chicken wings (5)... 2 bottles of water

evening snack while watching football - 1 apple and 2 yogurts- a bottle of lipton ice tea...

What should I change???

Lunch around 1430 - Fried rice with chickent -fried egg on top, 1 bottle of water...

dinner around 1800 - small portion of pasta with chicken wings (5)... 2 bottles of water

evening snack while watching football - 1 apple and 2 yogurts- a bottle of lipton ice tea...

What should I change???

The ideal way to eat is to eat a good breakfast and lunch and a light dinner.

Drink plenty of water.

It is also best to do some form of exercise.

That all depends on what you can do.

Even a 1/2 hour brisk walk per day building up to longer times.

It all depends on the individual.

Just watching your food intake will not help you just loose weight it is a combined effort.

That is my honest answer.

Wish i could stick to it lol :D

What should I change???

If that bottle of iced tea is one of the ready made ones made and sold in Thailand,. it is chock full of sugar and should be absolutely avoided. Processed sugar is the greatest enemy of all, not only because it is fattening but because it sets in motion craving for more sugar. Can also lead to diabetes and increased lipids (fat), coronary artery disease etc.

If you do absolutely nothing else but eliminate processed carbs (sugar, anything to which sugar/corn syrup has been added, white rice, white bread, noodles/pasta) from your diet, you'll already be halfway there.

Make your own ice tea and either learn to like it unsweetened or use a sugar substitute such as sucralose (Fitne and other brands).

Would also suggest less fried foods,especially not fried foods bought at vendors or in restaurants as they are very lavish with the amount of oil used plus use the most unhealthy types. It's OK to lightly fry your own food from time to time using a healthy oil but really don't get fried foods etc when eating out or getting take away. And don't have fried food every single day.

NO fried rice -- it's a is a double evil as it is processed carb (white rice) and then fried with large amounts of bad oil. AVOID. Switch to lunch of brown rice plus fish or meat and veggies. or whole wheat bread plus same.

You can probably get away with a small portion of pasta daily but would be better off with brown rice or whole wheat bread in its place.

Thanks Sheryl,

Guess I am going very wrong here with what I put inn ... so far this week..

What I have eaten this week..

Monday Breakfast 2 bottle of peach lipton tea.

1 apple

Handful of grapes

Two small yogurts

Lunch Fried rice with fried egg

Water

Dinner Pasta with Chicken

1L water with sunquick

Evening Snack Yogurt and water and apple

Tuesday Breakfast Apple

3 yogurts

1 bottle of lipton tea

Lunch 1 apple

Dinner 3 hot dogs with nothing on

Sunquick mix with 2L water

Evening snack 3 sandwiches (ham, no cheese)

Wednesday Breakfast Yellow rice and chicken (2pcs)

Water and puriko white tea (small bottle

Lunch Lettuce leaves

Dinner Soybean Pork (no sauce, just the meat)

Evening Snack Water and 3 slices of apples

Thursday Breakfast Ham cheese crosoints (2)

Lipton Peach tea

Lunch Pasta with pork

1l of water

Puriko White tea

Dinner Fried rice with chicken

Water

5 glasses of red label with soda and water

Friday Breakfast Pasta from Thursday with pork

Lipton tea (2 small bottles)

Lunch 

I am just happy I have not touched coke since Sunday on my weekly bike ride...

Any coments???

For the record... I do go for a run every day, minimum 40min or 8km... Thursday I went for two runs, the normal one in the morning (0500 is a nice time) and the afternoon...

As mentioned before, your biggest problem is wuth the beverages. Frankly what you are drinking is just as bad as coke..equally loaded with sugar. Don't let the "tea" labels fool you, these commercially prepared things are not healthy and not low calorie. Tea alone is calorie free, but these commercially sold brands are full of sugar.

Shift to plain water, or unsweetened ice tea (you'll have to make it yourself)or soda water.

And if you must drink alcohol, make it wine if possible and regardless of what it is, stop at 2. 5 scotch and sodas is virtually a days worth of calories in itself. Empty calories.

Unfortunately Thailand does not offer a lot of sugar-free drinks like we can get in North America and Europe. When I'm in Thailand I usually drink Coke Zero, Coke Light and Diet Pepsi since these are about the only sugar-free sodas I can consistently find. I also brew my own tea and add a sugar substitute, the same goes for coffee. I buy large cases of cans at Tesco and even take a couple of cans with me when I go to restaurants since they usually don't have any diet sodas available. So far I have never had a problem getting glasses of ice and pouring my can into them. Like Sheryl said in the previous post, I believe the beverages you have been consuming are your biggest problem in your battle of the bulge. With the running you are doing and what you are eating I would be surprised if you didn't lose some serious weight if you cut out those sugared beverages.

Good luck.

First thing you need for your new diet is eggs for breakfast. As someone already mentioned, eliminating processed garbage, sugar is half the battle. Drink plenty of water, get plenty of healthy fats, good sources of protein and carbs from vegetables. Cooking with the correct oils is very important. Stay away from many of the vegetable oils. Olive oil or coconut oil in my opinion are the best and healthiest. Exercise is important. If you want to lose fat, gain muscle, focus on high intensity, anaerobic exercise. Workouts should be no longer than 1hr but in that hr, you should be constantly moving with very little rest in between sets.

Edited by eslteacher

Thanks guys... I have decided to celebrate my one week with no coke by following it with another week...

( I had to leave tescos yesterday, I walked past the shelves with coke and lays... they looked so good)... I walked away and came back later in the evening...

I bought some cereal (fitnes or something like that)...

I am trying to get that to be my breakfast this week, with dutch non fat milk... is it good?

Also, I will try to cut out the Lipton tea... (It tastes soo good!!)

What about Puriko White Tea? (is that healty???)

Thanks for your advice and support!

I think you should minimize your intake of all carbs - pasta, bread, and fried rice. Your breakfast should be your biggest meal during the day. Dinner should be your smallest. If you have to have snacks at night, limit that to an apple (as it helps curbing one's appetite).

I also found eating 'spinach' for dinner helps with curbing one's appetite and helps immensely with weight loss.

Reduce your intake of processed meats such as HOT DOGS.

Drinking processed sugar beverages (lipton, coke, other beverages) only serves to stengthen your appetite for more food (even when your body doesn't really need it). I usually don't drink with any of my meals. I have water 1 or 2 hours before/after a meal.

Remember to reward yourself once/twice per week when you should eat your preferred foods.

Finally, please think positively about yourself.

Edited by prighas

You seem to be getting a good handle of a new diet. I agree with the Peach Iced Teas- they do taste good, but it will make all your hard work for naught.

Yogurt is a really good option- but I quickly learned that a lot of yogurts sold in Thailand are packed with sugar. I buy plain yogurt- that has live cultures and zero sugar and eat it will granola- or you could even eat it with the Fitness cereal instead of milk.

Also a much healthier alternative to sugar is honey (in moderation). Make sure you don't use honey flavored stuff or honey made with fructose cornsyrup. Anything with cornsyrup is going to be a problem. Having a moderation of cheese can be healthy. It has calcium and proteins, but don't use processed cheeses. And if you are going to have a 'bread' for lunch a healthier option could be a whole wheat bagel- croissants are yummy but are made with a lot of butter!

When you are in the store try to find things that you like the natural flavor of (such as carrots, tomatoes, green beans, apples, etc) If you have a blender, a good morning or afternoon snack could be a smoothie with fruit a little honey and maybe throw in about a tablespoon of wheat germ or flax seed to give you an extra boost.

Good luck!

My rule on determining if a particular food item is good for me or not is it's convenience score.

The higher the rate of convenience the more likely it is full of fat / cholesterol/ additives and other naughty things.

Example:

Convenient foods that take no effort to consume or prepare: Coke, Chocolate, Chips, KFC, microwave dishes etc 

Inconvenient foods, vegetables you have to peel, and cook, a roast, home made ice tea, and un-peeled Durian and so on.

Beer is a bit of both: Convenient to consume but inconvenient to buy : drink half a can at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

oK, nutritionist here.

Don't drink your calories. That means no sodas unless diet, no bottled teas (the only one I've found with no calories is oolong; I love it but others might not), no fruit juices (too much sugar; eat fruit instead). If you drink alcohol, stay away from cocktails and beer. Whiskey, vodka and other hard liquors have fewer carbs so they're better when you're trying to lose weight.

No white carbs. Brown rice instead of white. No sugary treats.

No fried anything. You're adding hundreds of calories for nothing. Bake, grill, steam or even microwave your food.

Careful when eating out. Don't choose foods that seem to be swimming in oils and sauces.

You should NOT be hungry. If you're hungry, you're eating too little and your body will go into starvation mode, saving up calories instead of burning them. Eat every 3-4 hours so you keep your stomach full and your metabolism going. Small portions often is better than three large meals. It will help control cravings.

Agree with all the above.

Make your own ice tea, without sugar. Plenty of different brand tea bags to choose from, many of them already fruit flavored. If you miss the sugar add some sucralose (Fitne, tropicana etc)or other sugar substitute.

Re yogurt, it can be hard to find the unsweetened fresh stuff but you only need to do so once as from there on, making your own is the easiest thing in the world in this climate.

All you do is add a few heaping tablespoons of existing yogurt to milk, stir, cover lightly and keep anywhere that isn't air conditioned. Within 24 hours or less, you'll have yogurt.

Will not work with nonfat milk, there has to be some fat, but low fat is OK.

A touch of vanilla extract and some fresh fruit (or my favorite, berries, which you can get frozen without added sugar) will make it far more delicious than the commercial brands.

Packaged/processed foods evberwhere are loaded with sugar but Thai brands gfo further in that respect than most, "the more fat and sugar the better" seems to be the motto. Initially coming off a diet that includes bottled drinks, commercial yogurts etc you may miss the excess sweetness but the taste buds quickly adjust.

Followed a diet years ago eat 7,000 calories a day and lose weight. Basic cut out all sugar including fruit, cut out all white food, corn as well. Eat protien and vegetables. You work up to the 7,000 over the course of several weeks eating 5 meals a day.

It is a lot of food and hard to eat that much but you will lose weight. You also supplament with protien powder.

Edited by moe666

Followed a diet years ago eat 7,000 calories a day and lose weight. Basic cut out all sugar including fruit, cut out all white food, corn as well. Eat protien and vegetables. You work up to the 7,000 over the course of several weeks eating 5 meals a day.

It is a lot of food and hard to eat that much but you will lose weight. You also supplament with protien powder.

I cant imagine that working and 7000 is a lot most normal adults burn around 2000-3000 cals a day. Even athletes dont burn 7000.

The thing that strikes me is the lack of vegies in your diet. My husband doesn't eat vegies unless forced :( So for him I slice up an onion, some mushrooms, tomatoes and any green Asian veg. Slice them thiy and stir-fry quickly in a pan (either a non-stick, or use a tiny bit of good oil), then we have a container full to keep in the fridge for a day or two. Ready made vegie omelette filling, pasta topping, toasted sandwich centre. Or something to put on the plate beside a grilled chicken breast or bit of fish. I like it on top of a plain baked potato with some natural yogurt, sometime I just eat the vegies and yogurt if I can't be bothered cooking a spud :)

The thing that strikes me is the lack of vegies in your diet. My husband doesn't eat vegies unless forced :( So for him I slice up an onion, some mushrooms, tomatoes and any green Asian veg. Slice them thiy and stir-fry quickly in a pan (either a non-stick, or use a tiny bit of good oil), then we have a container full to keep in the fridge for a day or two. Ready made vegie omelette filling, pasta topping, toasted sandwich centre. Or something to put on the plate beside a grilled chicken breast or bit of fish. I like it on top of a plain baked potato with some natural yogurt, sometime I just eat the vegies and yogurt if I can't be bothered cooking a spud :)

Thinking about a diet is sort of - yes I have time to worry. Living in Thailand - speaking english, having access to this type of website etc. You have two goals - and they are really easy - lower your food intake and increase your excersie levels. It really is easy. Go for it re. foods and then exercise 2 hrs a day.