Settlement Visa Process

Went to Bangkok a few days ago to file our Settlement visa application, all very straight forward but a couple of points, for information:

Got to the VFS office at 07:45 and there was already about twenty five people sat waiting, more than a few of them were Agents reserving places in line for their clients who showed up later - the partner of the Applicant is not allowed to accompany the Applicant into the VFS offices.

Got ticket number 12 and was all done by 09:45, pretty quick really.

The "checker" at VFS only commented on one aspect of the application and that was to ask my partner if she knew that I had been married before, pulling out the copy of the divorce absolute and showing her the date - a peculiarly Thai female trait wanting to share some potentially contentious information with the another - if you were thinking of trying to hide that fact lads, forget it. But it's interesting to note that the Embassy allows the Applicant to hide information from the Sponsor, on request!

Some uncertainty around the fee that was payable due to currency fluctuations - posted outside the office is a current fee schedule and at present the correct fee is Baht 32,200.

The Aeroflot offices are just across the hall and they're advertising a Bangkok/London special, Baht 14,000, if you're brave enough to try it, advertised as a "non-stop via Moscow", don't ask me how that works, maybe they throw out transit passengers as they fly over Red Square!!

The "checker" at VFS only commented on one aspect of the application and that was to ask my partner if she knew that I had been married before, pulling out the copy of the divorce absolute and showing her the date - a peculiarly Thai female trait wanting to share some potentially contentious information with the another - if you were thinking of trying to hide that fact lads, forget it. But it's interesting to note that the Embassy allows the Applicant to hide information from the Sponsor, on request!

That is dreadful and I think worthy of a complaint, if you were so minded.

I do and did, I sent an email complaint to the Head Of Operations of VFS Asia and copied the Bangkok Embassy so it'll be interesting to see what kind of response I receive. Fortunately in all of this I came out clean because my partner did know but there will doubtless be cases where the partner is unaware and stupid actions like this one could easily destroy the relationship. Mostly though, it's just all very unprofessional and makes me wonder what else VFS staff might be up to.

I do and did, I sent an email complaint to the Head Of Operations of VFS Asia and copied the Bangkok Embassy so it'll be interesting to see what kind of response I receive. Fortunately in all of this I came out clean because my partner did know but there will doubtless be cases where the partner is unaware and stupid actions like this one could easily destroy the relationship. Mostly though, it's just all very unprofessional and makes me wonder what else VFS staff might be up to.

Without wanting to start a VFS witchunt I have to agree that the staff I and my wife have encountered over the years have been down right rude and not to mention incompetent at the best of times, they are very good at looking down at the applicants and making them feel very second class. One instance we encountered the chap had never even heard of unmarried partner Visa and on another they made no attempt to replace the documents they had ransacked in their original place. All in all it's always been an unpleasant experience. !

Without wanting to start a VFS witchunt I have to agree that the staff I and my wife have encountered over the years have been down right rude and not to mention incompetent at the best of times, they are very good at looking down at the applicants and making them feel very second class. One instance we encountered the chap had never even heard of unmarried partner Visa and on another they made no attempt to replace the documents they had ransacked in their original place. All in all it's always been an unpleasant experience. !

That was also my experience when I applied for a tourist visa on behalf of Mrs CM a few years ago, surly staff to say the least. But in all fairness, this time around, Mrs CM said the staff were very friendly, I put that change down to the fact that farangs are no longer allowed into the room and that her visit was early in the morning and before the monotony of the job had set in. Having said that she did also report that the girl who took her finger prints managed to describe her life history to her in record time, pointing out that she had a degree and was thoroughly bored working there.

But it's interesting to note that the Embassy allows the Applicant to hide information from the Sponsor, on request!

Just what do you mean by this ?

Exactly what I wrote, look at the VAF4A application form on page 12 where it states:

"I also understand that the information provided by me, or information made available to UK Border Agency during the processing of my application, may be shared with my sponsor(s) or any person(s) acting on their behalf or any applicant linked to my application (for example to my spouse / partner if we apply for visas for a trip together) for the sole purpose of considering my application. I am aware that if there is any information I do not want you to disclose to them I will tell you by enclosing a letter with my supporting documentation. If such requests prevent you from making legitimate inquiries, my application may be refused".

Guest jonzboy
But it's interesting to note that the Embassy allows the Applicant to hide information from the Sponsor, on request!

I agree that the process does allow this, but cannot understand why. To be fair this is not a problem with me because my wife has been totally upfront about her previous marriage, and in any case it I that put together the application and prepared all the documents. I actually spent a lot of time with her prior to submitting our application making sure she knew of all of the contents and what they mean just in case she was interviewed. This included my own divorce and all my financial details. Her only remark was about the amount of maintenance I am still making to my ex!!!

Talking about rude attitudes at the VAC, my wife went in alone, as directed, only to find all the other applicants with accompanying spouses (Hong Kong centre). When finally dealt with she presented the folder containing all of our documents. Despite being sectioned off for neatness, in precisely the order demanded, and with copies accompanying originals, she was then told to remove all the documents from the folder and to come back with two piles, one for originals and one for copies.

Fortunately we got all the originals back, but I was worried, given the cavalier approach.

Why don't they issue guidance on the document submission format???

I was allowed to accompany my girlfriend into the VFS office... :)

Let me guess: your brother is the security guard, you feigned heart attack and said your medication was in the room, you said you were an agent and were actually dealing with another clients application, you slipped the guard an oblong piece of paper that was crisp, you claimed that your girlfriend was very sick and that you were her doctor/nurse, you pointed in the other direction and asked, what's that, and then you were in. Do tell.

I was allowed to accompany my girlfriend into the VFS office... :)

Let me guess: your brother is the security guard, you feigned heart attack and said your medication was in the room, you said you were an agent and were actually dealing with another clients application, you slipped the guard an oblong piece of paper that was crisp, you claimed that your girlfriend was very sick and that you were her doctor/nurse, you pointed in the other direction and asked, what's that, and then you were in. Do tell.

All them guesses and you still couldn't get it right! we have an 18 month old son so they allowed me in, i saw at least 2 or 3 other western guys in there also. You are incorrect in saying no one can accompany there girlfriend/wife into the VFS so i thought i would correct you... :)

Usually only the applicant is allowed into the VAC; unless they have changed this very recently.

Obviously, Kadafi's experience shows that there are exceptions to this, especially where children are involved; but in the majority of cases sponsors etc. should expect to be asked to wait outside.

Usually only the applicant is allowed into the VAC; unless they have changed this very recently.

Obviously, Kadafi's experience shows that there are exceptions to this, especially where children are involved; but in the majority of cases sponsors etc. should expect to be asked to wait outside.

Maybe it is a recent change to the rules as i was there about 4 weeks ago. Though child parents did seem to be one exception, i did also see a western guy in there who did not have a child so i do not know what his circumstance was...

Just to close this loop: I received a reply to my email complaint wherein VFS stated that it was a requirement of the UK Embassy to determine if the UK Sponsor had been married previously and this was accompanied by a half hearted apology for any perceived mistreatment. I rejected their explanation as invalid citing inclusion of the required information in three different areas of the application, this negated any need for VFS staff to act as they did and maintained that the action had malicious intent - VFS replied again this morning with a more grovelling apology stating that they had taken action against the staff involved and will ensure it never happens again, we can only live in hope.