Why The Disrespect Towards Other Peoples National Anthems

tigerfish

so heres the story!

went to an english pub tonight to watch england against germany in their last 16 match of the world cup.

the place is full of mostly english, a few germans, a mixture of thais with their foreign partners and in their own little groups.

pre match the atmosphere is great and no doubt that after the game had finished most english would of admitted that germany were the better team.

what did make the atmosphere a little frosty to say the least though, was the fact that most of the thais in the pub whether they were with their german partners or in a group supporting the german side couldnt grasp the fact that it may not of been such a wise idea to.

1. talk and boo while the english national anthem was being played.

2. not start laughing and jest about the fact that not only was it a wrong decision to disallow englands second goal, but to then gloat and try and rub salt into the situation when it was clear that germany were going to win the tie.

it could of turned very ugly knowing that and mixture of alcohol and the reputation that some england fans carry when things dont go their way.

luckily things didnt, but its not to say that there wasnt the odd eyebrow raised and a couple of hard stares put in the direction of these so called fans of the game of football, when these people did these things.

what gets me though having spent such a long time in the LOS and learning what you should and shouldnt do and being respectful towards what thais hold to be the wright way to behave when such situations occur. when say their national anthem is played or holding a certain family that we are not allowed to discuss on this forum in such high regard(no matter what your thoughts are on the subject) wai to an elder, not walking in front of someone and bending slightly to show you are being polite, not showing the bare soles of your feet, saying krap after every word or sentence and so on.....

so why do it to other people from different cultures and countries? to me it just shows a complete arrogance and disrespect!

discuss please.

btw my wife who is thai and has spent quite a few years with me back in the u.k. learning the culture, customs and the way we do things. was shall we say a little bemused, embarrassed, shy and shocked to say the least. when she saw how some of her fellow countrymen and women had behaved tonight.

Edited by tigerfish
  • Like 1

I happened to watch the game with mostly Thais tonight. They all seemed to be cheering the Germans? Why? Betting line? Throwback to their occupation by the Axis powers? Maybe redshirts still angry about Thaksin's visa problems in the UK?

Edited by Jingthing

i suspect you are looking for a reason to complain.

would you preferred a moment of silence?

i cant think of any sport recently when anyone has paid attention to national anthems, tonights f1 included.

i certainly didn't pay any attention to the television once the whistle blew. why would i? i was too busy enjoying a chuckle at rooney's abysmal performance. saviour indeed.

i would also like to point out that the disallowed goal made little difference in the end. 4-1, 4-2, who really cares?

Biggest problem we had tonight, in an English bar, was a sweaty sock with German flags painted on each cheek, singing the well known song throughout the match with a slight alteration. "You're going home, you're going home, you're going, England's going home", in a very loud jock accent.

After the 16th verse, and being asked and then told to shut up for his own good several times, eventually the bar manager had to step in to ask him to leave to avoid getting filled in.

<deleted>? I would support the sweaties against Germany any day of the week as part of the UK, this was just surreal to me.

• Like 1

i cant think of any sport recently when anyone has paid attention to national anthems, tonights f1 included.

i certainly didn't pay any attention to the television once the whistle blew. why would i? i was too busy enjoying a chuckle at rooney's abysmal performance. saviour indeed.

i would also like to point out that the disallowed goal made little difference in the end. 4-1, 4-2, who really cares?

what are you talking about, a moments silence. try reading the op again!

i have already stated that germany deserved the win and whether the second goal stood was irrelevant. no need to complain, england lost, end of.

what im talking about is double standards when it comes to respecting people from different nations. as we are expected to respect thai culture, traits, beliefs and customs whilst staying in the LOS.

Edited by tigerfish

I happened to watch the game with mostly Thais tonight. They all seemed to be cheering the Germans? Why? Betting line? Throwback to their occupation by the Axis powers? Maybe redshirts still angry about Thaksin's visa problems in the UK?

:crazy:

Are you color blind? The red shirts lost the game.

We north americans find it entirely amusing the animosity shared between various countries across Europe. We have absolutely no understanding of it and think you are all stark raving mad. I mean Americans and Canadians only have each other to make fun of and that gets boring fast.

The Op has a point. In the unlikely event that Thailand ever qualify to play in a world cup can you imagine the reaction were anyone to boo their National anthem ? Even not standing for it would be a no-no.

We north americans find it entirely amusing the animosity shared between various countries across Europe. We have absolutely no understanding of it and think you are all stark raving mad. I mean Americans and Canadians only have each other to make fun of and that gets boring fast.

That's why you waited so long to turn up in WW11 :lol:

Biggest problem we had tonight, in an English bar, was a sweaty sock with German flags painted on each cheek, singing the well known song throughout the match with a slight alteration. "You're going home, you're going home, you're going, England's going home", in a very loud jock accent.

After the 16th verse, and being asked and then told to shut up for his own good several times, eventually the bar manager had to step in to ask him to leave to avoid getting filled in.

<deleted>? I would support the sweaties against Germany any day of the week as part of the UK, this was just surreal to me.

I've come across several people like this, they are always either Scottish or Northern Irish.

The last time I saw this phenomenon was when a Scottish guy started abusing an English guy who had just walked into a bar at about 3am one night in Bangkok. The English guy was having none of it and simply stood up and punched the abusive moron in the head a few times. That taught him. Of course he was too drunk to do anything about it.

And pray tell how you managed to do that without looking at the television... :whistling:

and also the disallowed goal could have made a difference, when your 2-2 your not pushing like your 2-1 down. Even though i concede we were <deleted> :ermm:

Check your history. We joined in Sept 1939.

Edited by cdnvic
warning myself for going off-topic

Don't mean to butt in on the conversation but the USA didnt join in WW2 until December 8 1941 after the attack on Pearl Harbour.

But i'm going to take it that you are Canadian because they joined WW2 on 10th September 1939 after the attack on Poland and Britain declaring War on 3rd September 1939

Too stay on topic. It seem like it was just the locals joining on in the banter that was going on and were just cheering the germans on because they were winning.

Off topic, but to stop this and put the record straight...

07/12/1941

Japan attack Pearl Harbour

08/12/1941

President Roosevelt addresses the U.S. Congress, saying that December 7 is "a date that will live in infamy." After a vote of 82-0 in the U.S. Senate, and 388-1 in the House, in favor of declaring war on Japan, Roosevelt signs the declaration of war.

11/12/1941

In response to Germany and Italy's declaration of war, the US reciprocates and declares war on both Germany and Italy. Costa Rica, Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua also declare war on Germany and Italy

12/12/1941

US declares war on Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria after receiving those country's declarations of war against the US

It might just be that when your national team are so crap at your national sport then the only thing left is jingoism and taking the pish out of other people's nation/national anthem.

Oh and of course, bleating on about WWII.

Edited by GuestHouse

They probably know a few Englishmen.

Yes as a Brit the Germans were the better side,and they won.

The disallowed goal was the worst error by a Ref I have ever seen,but probably would not have made a difference going into the second half at 2-2.

As for Thais showing lack of respect in our Country as Guests,well come on you have spent a long time in Thailand,so did you expect any other? from a Nation who think they are the only ones with a culture?

Thais love to be on the winning side,were it to be a winning England then they would have put the verbal boot into Germany.Its called "Go where the MONEY is"

As for lack of respect for our National Anthem,Prima Donna (unperforming,past it)"Rooney thinks he's too good for that sort of thing and does not join in,if? we had a good Manager he should have been dropped for that reason alone!

Dont let the Dinosours on TV wind you up,they know very well the Colonists were not only the British,But Spain,Portugal,Holland,France,The Romans,Vikings..............and many more,..........sod em! even a Football match brings out 100s of years old boring,whinging,and whining!

The last time I saw this phenomenon was when a Scottish guy started abusing an English guy who had just walked into a bar at about 3am one night in Bangkok. The English guy was having none of it and simply stood up and punched the abusive moron in the head a few times. That taught him. Of course he was too drunk to do anything about it.

Correct:

"I've come across several people like this, they are always either Scottish or Northern Irish.

And considering the UK pumps 1 Billion GBP into Scotland per annum whilst they have their own Country & Parliament and their money grabbing SNP MPs(13 at the last count) in our British Parliament,whilst we have none in their Parliament,I wonder they have the barefaced effrontery & gall.

Edited by MAJIC

Regardless of the actual date IMHO Europe and Britain in particular owe America and Canada a huge debt which can never be repaid in terms of human life,perhaps someone can correct me but its my belief that liberating Europe cost around 288,000 American lives and 5,000 Canadians,no joking matter,may they all rest in peace!

Interesting how a topic complaining about Thai people not respecting other people's countries turned into a thread with people not respecting other people's countries.

Only idiots when talk about international football doing some reference to old wars or rivalry between countries.

It is just football.

When a team loose a game, just accept it...

Of course, this does not apply to rivalry amongst different nation's pizzas.  :lol:

At the start of the world cup more than a few Thai acquaintances ( knowing I'm English and a real footy fan ) asked me who I'd be cheering. :huh:

Edited by mca

for the record: animosity does exist, no doubt about that. but in my [not so] humble view it is limited to the bulk of uneducated low class people. ask any educated Brit or German and most of them will confirm my opinion.

:jap:

p.s. down with the perfide Albion! may the frog eaters suffocate and the black plague hit the countries south of the alps!

av-11672.gif