A Mandela Solution For Thai Troubles?

webfact

Khun Nelson was a terrorist convicted to LIFE imprisonment.

If he is a good guy, why would the government put him in jail.

You cannot change history. Once a criminal, always a criminal.

Yes he was charged and convicted as a terrorist and put in jail. The international community felt the jail sentence was politically motivated. Doesn't this sound familiar? A case of history repeating itself. I'm amazed that you think that all of the people in jail are guilty and that the Governments are never criminals themselves despite history teaching us the opposite.a case of this is the nazi party in Germany who also put a lot of people in jails often simply because they were born into the wrong families.

If you are possibly alluding to a certain self exiled Thai politician there can be no comparison between his motivation and that of Mandela, the latter's was to change an oppressive system rather than enriching himself and his cronies at the expense of the tax payer.

No, I was not referring toThaksin but to the red shirt leaders charged with terrorism I hope that clears this one up for you.

Reconciliation in South Africa?  Nelson Mandella had nothing to do with reconciliation. He, and his political party, the ANC,  had a part to play in the ending of apartheid. Reconciliation in South Africa has been so successful that the crime rate has spiralled out of control and anglo/saxon whites are leaving in their droves. In the words of Don Henley.........kiss it goodbye.

You sure have some nerve. Imagine

Some one reporting true facts on this forum

Reconciliation in South Africa?;Nelson Mandella had nothing to do with reconciliation. He, and his political party, the ANC,  had a part to play in the ending of apartheid. Reconciliation in South Africa has been so successful that the crime rate has spiralled out of control and anglo/saxon whites are leaving in their droves. In the words of Don Henley.........kiss it goodbye.

You sure have some nerve. Imagine

Some one reporting true facts on this forum

Well, the hard times that have fallen upon some South African's has been the western world's gain. Some of South Africa's best and most brilliant scientists have left. Canada, the UK, Australia, Israel and the USA have all benefited from these people. Rural communities in Canada & the USA now have access to competent caring medical staff thanks to some South Africans. The scientists that went to Israel helped reinvigorate the life sciences R&D sector. The sad part about the emigration is that these people were the people more likely to have supported human rights and economic opportunity for the blacks. Therein lies a lesson to any fool that thinks the situation in South Africa can be applied to Thailand.

One of the saddest aspects of South Africa is that a large segment of the white population has been reduced to dire poverty, with families relying on charity as those that are of working age are passed over in favour of other ethnic groups. I don't think the people that were preaching equality quite had the denial of livelihoods in mind. This is one of the reasons the best people have left, are leaving or want to leave. Many of the whites left behind cannot leave because they are too poor, cannot get sponsors or have family obligations. I don't know how this would benefit Thailand.

In any case, Mr.Mandela didn't do end apartheid or change the government alone. He had an honourable partner in Mr. de Klerk. There is no Mr. de Klerk in the ruling Thai establishment that recognizes the current injustices or more importantly wishes to end them. Mr. Mandela also had many honest colleagues. Where are these people in Thailand?

Edited by geriatrickid

Khun Nelson was a terrorist convicted to LIFE imprisonment.

If he is a good guy, why would the government put him in jail.

You cannot change history. Once a criminal, always a criminal.

Yes he was charged and convicted as a terrorist and put in jail. The international community felt the jail sentence was politically motivated. Doesn't this sound familiar? A case of history repeating itself. I'm amazed that you think that all of the people in jail are guilty and that the Governments are never criminals themselves despite history teaching us the opposite.a case of this is the nazi party in Germany who also put a lot of people in jails often simply because they were born into the wrong families.

politically motivated or not doesn't matter, guilty is guilty, isn't it? crimes against humanity are as such. hard to even claim thaksin was removed for the career advancement of someone else, it was 'cause of all his law breaking, concealing funds, massacre in the south, the drug war..

The Nazis have nothign to do with this, except maybe a tyrant-in-the-making!

At least Mandela had the balls to return, which gives him some credibility. A man who weasels away and hides suggests guilt to the highest level. saying "politically motivated" are the words from thaksin's mouth you're speaking! (bbc interview if you recall)

I suppose Khun Nelson never claim that his LIFE sentences was politically motivated; like Thaksin did.

I suppose Khun Nelson took it straight, by advocating that he was a terrorist, just like the court had sentence him; and the court was just.