Hat Yai And Songkhla

mshoichi

I've been living in Thailand (BKK and Phuket) on and off for the past year. I was thinking of moving to Hat Yai, only because it seems to be a larger and "livelier" city (in the sense there's more people = more places to eat, go, meet; not bars).

However, in reading about Songkhla lake and it's history, I'm become quite curious. There doesn't seem to be many posts about actually living in Songkhla though, mostly just references from people passing through. Can anyone provide any information (e.g. safety, traffic, ease of getting around - my Thai is barely passable)?

I saw that it's roughly 30 minutes from Hat Yai to Songkhla, and 2 hours to the beaches on the west. Is motorbiking safe? I suppose in terms of muggings and theft, had a motorbike in Bangkok which is just horrible.

Any info or resources would be appreciated. Will probably head down in August from Phuket Town.

• Like 1

it is true that it would take about one half hour to travel from haadyai to songkhla....

but it only takes about 5 min to go from down town songkhla to lam samela beach....

i lived in haadyai for about two decade.... and used to jog to songkhla on weekend.... :P

living in haadyai was like living in central park area in new york city....

everything is within your reach.... practically everything that is....:D

i also was there in hatyai.... last week.... and it was still glorious....

there are several engineers and g $ o families living around songkhla....

you would be perfectly safe there.... even if you are anti-social.... :blink:

you would love it... and if you are energetic enough.... you could have made new friends of your choice every second of every day.... too.... :jap:

cheers.... if haadyai is not what i said it is.... pm me.... alright?

Edited by nakachalet

I have been living in Hatyai for the past 7 years and I can say it's truly a very nice place to live. The town itself is not that big, but indeed you'll find anything you need within reach. Inside the city there's a Carrefour, a Tesco Lotus, Big C, Central department store, Robinsons department store and a bunch of shopping malls. There are three theaters as well, although they hardly play movies with English audio anymore....

Hatyai is very popular with Malaysian (and Singpore) tourists, so the tourist scene mostly caters to Asian tourists (lot's of adult entertainment places around). There are plenty of bars (a bunch of which are popular with the expat community, which are mostly English teachers) and loads of great restaurants and other places to eat. There are also a bunch of clubs/night joints, although these are mostly visited by the locals (but definitely worth a visit!).

As far a beaches go; Songkhla's beach is nearest, however it's nothing great. The beaches are usually rather dirty and are nothing like other places around southern Thailand. Satun, Trang and Krabi have the best beaches in Thailand (I have seen most beaches and I found the best ones, beautiful white beaches and white sandy beaches, to be in these provinces). Satun and Trang are about two hours away and Krabi about three hours.

Safety wise, things are ok at the moment. We have had some problems with small bombs going off a few times a few years back, both in the town as well as at the airport. However, after that it has been quiet. Most people living here feel perfectly safe and the real trouble in the south is at least 200km further south.

Traffic is still rather ok, but seems to be getting worse quickly. Major roads get jammed during rush hour, and some are congested the entire day, however, pick your times when driving a car around town and you'll be ok. Of course, with a motorcycle traffic won't bother you (although it's not exactly safe :)).

Muggins and theft; well, guess you get this everywhere and it's probably about average here, can't really say since I haven't had to deal with any of these issues.

If anything else, feel free to ask.

a really great post indeed. many thanks, even from an old timer.... :jap:

I have been living in Hatyai for the past 7 years and I can say it's truly a very nice place to live. The town itself is not that big, but indeed you'll find anything you need within reach. Inside the city there's a Carrefour, a Tesco Lotus, Big C, Central department store, Robinsons department store and a bunch of shopping malls. There are three theaters as well, although they hardly play movies with English audio anymore....

Hatyai is very popular with Malaysian (and Singpore) tourists, so the tourist scene mostly caters to Asian tourists (lot's of adult entertainment places around). There are plenty of bars (a bunch of which are popular with the expat community, which are mostly English teachers) and loads of great restaurants and other places to eat. There are also a bunch of clubs/night joints, although these are mostly visited by the locals (but definitely worth a visit!).

As far a beaches go; Songkhla's beach is nearest, however it's nothing great. The beaches are usually rather dirty and are nothing like other places around southern Thailand. Satun, Trang and Krabi have the best beaches in Thailand (I have seen most beaches and I found the best ones, beautiful white beaches and white sandy beaches, to be in these provinces). Satun and Trang are about two hours away and Krabi about three hours.

Safety wise, things are ok at the moment. We have had some problems with small bombs going off a few times a few years back, both in the town as well as at the airport. However, after that it has been quiet. Most people living here feel perfectly safe and the real trouble in the south is at least 200km further south.

Traffic is still rather ok, but seems to be getting worse quickly. Major roads get jammed during rush hour, and some are congested the entire day, however, pick your times when driving a car around town and you'll be ok. Of course, with a motorcycle traffic won't bother you (although it's not exactly safe :)).

Muggins and theft; well, guess you get this everywhere and it's probably about average here, can't really say since I haven't had to deal with any of these issues.

If anything else, feel free to ask.

Thanks! I appreciate the responses - great information.

Between hearing that things are relatively safe and the beaches of Songkhla aren't that great, I'm going to settle in Hat Yai for a month or so. It'll be a nice change of pace and places me closer for a 90 day visa run.

• 7 months later...

hi i have being to hat yai for 18 years now on holidays . and love the place its like a small bbk . like the other posts say .it has everything except the traffic and the polution of bbk . and better choice of food than bbk at a third of the price.i am moving there full time next year . and bbk is only one hour away by plane . and the flights keep getting cheaper james