Thaksin Aide Noppadon Seeks US Role In Thailand

webfact

I think it goes without saying the man has no credibility. Innuendo about who he met? Hheresay and unlikely to add any credibility to the situation. Least of all will it add anything to the convicted crim he represents or the red short movement or the actual understanding of Thai politics.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is strategicaly and economically important to the US......

How do you figure that? According to US government statistics Thailand is way down at number 29 on the list of trading partners and does not border on any strategic waterway or with any major nation of importance. Its biggest neighbors, Burma, Laos and Cambodia are all among the poorest counties in the world. Since the end of the Vietnam war no US administration or Congress either Republican or Democrat has given much more than lip service to the relationship with Thailand and with all the other irons they have in the fire nowadays there is little to no chance they're going to care what the hel_l Thailand does now either. They'll diplomatically say that they support reconciliation but they are not about to do anything to get involved in another internal situation they can do little or nothing about. I imagine they will continue the yearly Cobra Gold exercises as a show of solidarity with the SE Asian allies (Thailand, Singapore, Philippines) but that's about as far as it will go.

the United States supported Abhisit's reconciliation plan

enough said

I am confused I didnt think Thailand was an American colony, if it isnt what on earth has this got to do with America ?

just a ploy to get international support. to be taken with a grain of salt

Why would Noppdon think a man who took out citizenship in another country opinion would matter to the U. S.

Thaksin claims that his conviction was based on political motovation. I won't say yea or nay on that but I will say it dosent matter he is still guilty and he knows it. If he was innocent he would be pushing that rather than political motovation.

Does any one know what is happening with the interpol request?

Not to say anything about the education level of red shirts but does it not seem funny to them that there fearless leader and his wife commited a crime here and he ran while she stayed. That he took out citizenship in another country.

If he was a man of princapals he would have served his two years or less in a splendor the people he says he cares about can not even imagine. He would then be able to go where ever he wished without looking over his shoulder all the time.

JUST MY OPINIONS

Noppadon Pattama made his remarks via video link to the opposition Puea Thai Party

Looked a bit pasty:

stuffy.jpg

Noppadon refused, however, to disclose names of US lawmakers and officials with whom he has met

Did he have a lot of imaginary friends as a child, too?

Noppadon said the deposed prime minister is now living in a country in Eastern Europe

So, it's back to Montenegro again, is it?

Noppadon said he planned his trip to the US himself

He must be only referring to booking his airline ticket, because he doesn't make any move that is isn't directed by his boss.

A former minister on official mission visit???? how does that work?

Who is paying for the trip?

Who allowed him to take a trip on behalf of whom? not the government

How can this be official mission if he is no longer minister?

Should not the headline and story be that an ex minister flew to US and tried to get a meeting with any US officials ?

As they say "Amazing Thailand"

The only thing the U.S. may help Noppadon with is replacing the oversized suits he wears.

This is nothing but but the opportunist leech that is Thaksin associating his name with the letters U.S.

Remember his uninvited trip visiting world leaders? Bush? Where are they now? :lol: Stupid egotistic bastard.

Noppadon looks like he's had his fill of Thaksin phone calls ending with ``Oh, one more last favour...`` :lol:

• Like 1

UPDATE

RUNAWAY EX-PREMIER

Wooing Washington

By The Nation

Noppadon in Washington to present the other side of the story; wants US to bridge divide

The government and the opposition are locked in a race to win the support of the United States over the recent political crisis.

Closely following the government's special envoy, Thaksin Shinawatra's legal adviser, Noppadon Pattama, has gone to Washington to repaint the red shirts' image and the Thai political crisis in Americans' perception.

Noppadon, a former foreign minister, said he would hold talks with US officials, congressmen, academics and media representatives, to give them information from the other side on the political situation in Thailand over the past few months.

'DEMOCRACY LOVERS'

"I'm telling them the red-shirt protesters are not terrorists, but rather simply democracy lovers who called for justice, and former prime minister Thaksin is not a terrorist either," Noppadon said in a video-link call from Washington yesterday.

Noppadon will meet with Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell at the State Department, a political source said, adding that he had also sought meetings with ranking senators, including John Kerry, Joe Lieberman, Howard Burman and Richard Lucas.

"Noppadon is believed to rely on Ed Rogers, a lobbyist working in the law firm of former US secretary of state James Baker," the source said.

Noppadon's mission comes two weeks after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva dispatched a special envoy, Kiat Sittheeamorn, to Washington to explain the government's reconciliation plan to President Barack Obama's administration and lawmakers.

US CONGRESS 'RESOLUTION TODAY'

Noppadon said the US Congress would today pass a resolution on Thailand's political situation to support a peaceful resolution to the political conflict and the road map for national |reconciliation.

An earlier congressional resolution, sponsored by Senator Jim Webb, was passed on May 24 and called for the restoration of peace and stability. It passed only days after a military crackdown on the red-shirt protesters at the Rajprasong intersection that killed scores of people and injured hundreds more.

"The resolution will not be binding on Thailand, but it's a pleasure to see the US pay attention to Thai problems," Noppadon said. "But I think Thailand cannot achieve reconciliation unless the government shows its sincerity by lifting the state of emergency and granting political freedom to the people."

If anyone did anything wrong, the government should charge them, rather than detain them without charge under the emergency decree, he said.

Noppadon said he was also proposing his version of a national reconciliation plan to people he met in the US.

"We hope the US administration will be more engaged about the situation in Thailand. They can use diplomatic channels to encourage the government to look at our proposal," Noppadon told Agence France-Presse in an interview on Tuesday.

"It doesn't mean they are interfering in Thai politics. You can give friendly advice to your friend - it's just natural. US-Thai relations are very important, and if your friend is weak or is divided, your friend may not fulfil the potential that he or she has."

Prime Minister Abhisit said Noppadon was unlikely to be successful in his mission to change American attitudes towards the Thai political crisis, because the US had a good understanding of the situation.

He said congressmen who closely monitored the issue supported the government.

"He [Noppadon] will do everything to serve the interests of his boss, but I serve the interests of the country," Abhisit said. "I wish he would serve the country, but he chooses to serve only his boss."

The government earlier tried hard to win support from the US and the international community.

The Foreign Ministry and Prime Minister Abhisit himself briefed diplomats and |foreign journalists on the situation from time to time. At the height of the crisis, Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya summoned the US ambassador to protest after Campbell met with Noppadon and politicians close to the red shirts during a brief visit to Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-01

So Noppadom goes to Washington, rather LOUDLY, to hold meetings, he says,

clearly with Congressmen who have large Thai constituencies,

and so 'might' actually have a clue who he is.

And one US Rep tables a resolution... woo ooo this will make a difference.

Sooooo, the local font of perpetual truth goes to 'the repository of all real truths'

for a coffee-clatch Playing ropadope with the truth. It's gonna get badly beaten,

and end up a bit woozy rolling on the floor asking for Advil.

He's gotta finagle at least ONE meeting with someone in government at some level.

'Undersecretary of Asian Shrimp Production Tariff Quota's' maybe....

I wonder what this maneuver costs Thaksin to pull off.

Edited by animatic

the United States supported Abhisit's reconciliation plan

enough said

I am confused I didnt think Thailand was an American colony, if it isnt what on earth has this got to do with America ?

Sorry, I can't help you with your confusion. But, Thailand is not an American colony. It has to do with foreign relations, and no, America is not going to step in and help out Thaksin's side. They are well aware of the whole story from the start, which is probably why their reaction to the coup was so muted in the first place.

America only meddles in other countries business when there is oil involved it has nothing to do with Thaksin. If this is about foreign relations does that mean that American policy has to be approved by Thailand before it can take place? Happy independence day ex colony dweller!

quote'jackdawson'

the United States supported Abhisit's reconciliation plan enough said

Sorry, I can't help you with your confusion. But, Thailand is not an American colony. It has to do with foreign relations, and no, America is not going to step in and help out Thaksin's side. They are well aware of the whole story from the start, which is probably why their reaction to the coup was so muted in the first place.

America only meddles in other countries business when there is oil involved it has nothing to do with Thaksin. If this is about foreign relations does that mean that American policy has to be approved by Thailand before it can take place? Happy independence day ex colony dweller!

Well those Thai / Cambo oil fields in the ocean in dispute on the borders certainly qualify,

even if the are not even drilled yet.

Unless Noppadom is the Puea Thai shadow foreign minister then he has no business going to the US to explain things. As I understand it, he's not even an elected member of the opposition, in fact the Peua Thai still haven't strung together an official shadow govt. I'm quite sure the CIA stationed here have briefed their govt about the terrorism potential of some Red elements, the best response Noppadom is likely to get is the ear of a list of 'lobbyists' that Thaksin has provided him. It's all such a joke really, sometimes Thaksin and his lawyers really take us for fools, they display a surprising naivety.

Unless Noppadom is the Puea Thai shadow foreign minister then he has no business going to the US to explain things. As I understand it, he's not even an elected member of the opposition, in fact the Peua Thai still haven't strung together an official shadow govt. I'm quite sure the CIA stationed here have briefed their govt about the terrorism potential of some Red elements, the best response Noppadom is likely to get is the ear of a list of 'lobbyists' that Thaksin has provided him. It's all such a joke really, sometimes Thaksin and his lawyers really take us for fools, they display a surprising naivety.

It would look like cranberries and popcorn on a string.

And the needle through the head to string them all together, wouldn't even be noticed,

as with most of their pronouncements in all likelihood.

Ah what a lovely bunch of coconuts.

Sooooo, the local font of perpetual truth goes to 'the repository of all real truths'

for a coffee-clatch Playing ropadope with the truth. It's gonna get badly beaten,

He's gotta finagle at least ONE meeting with someone in government at some level.

That wouldn't be the same James Baker who happens to have worked for Carlyle Group would it.

Seems the favours are all getting called in as a last throw of the dice.

Ed Rogers and James Baker, I always figured TS would align himself with the US right.

I don't expect State Dept. would favor him, I could see Hillary giving those guys the snub.

Fool and his money, etc.

That wouldn't be the same James Baker who happens to have worked for Carlyle Group would it.

Yes Thaksin has had Baker, Botts and Associates on retainer since he lost the caretaker PM seat.

This is the same team that sheperded Bush past Gore in the Supreme Court in 2000,

and are as high zoot a lobbyist/legal firm as exists. These guys make Amsterdam look like a total piker.

And we are talking billable hours at $800-1,500,

in 5 minute increments, including dialing and hanging up the phone.

Like I said, I wonder what this dog and pony show will be costing that Kuhn T. A pant load I hope.

Edited by animatic

... I'm quite sure the CIA stationed here have briefed their govt about the terrorism potential of some Red elements,...

Once when living in the back of beyond my only source of news was picking up BBC on a cheap-arsed shortwave radio, with all the weird interference sounds etc.

One night I heard that the US was evacuating it's Saudi embassy staff due to their belief terrorist attacks were imminent. A few days later I went into town and saw on the TV at one of the stores that there were some serious explosions in Saudi.

Either these guys find out about everything, or they are the ones planning it.

Yes Thaksin has had Baker, Botts and Associates on retainer since he lost the caretaker PM seat.

This is the same team that sheperded Bush past Gore in the Supreme Court in 2000,

and are as high zoot a lobbyist/legal firm as exists. These guys make Amsterdam look like a total piker.

Like I said, I wonder what this dog and pony show will be costing that Kuhn T. A pant load I hope.

Well all you can figure, is that they allied with Mr. T because he could bring them something, and they will continue to lobby on his behalf until he is given a chance to deliver it. These guys play for keeps and they play long term.

Well all you can figure, is that they allied with Mr. T because he could bring them something, and they will continue to lobby on his behalf until he is given a chance to deliver it. These guys play for keeps and they play long term.

Or they are just happy to bill him at $1,500 an hour till he goes down.

That oil on the Cambo border is an incentive.

America has wonderful open disclosure laws. It allows ordinary people to know who is exactly working for who. It also shows that with 400 Billion Baht, Thaksin can give the Finance Ministry a run for its money:

Former prime minister of Thailand hires trio of lobby and law firms

07/01/10 06:00 AM ET

The Hill

A billionaire ex-Thai prime minister living in exile has hired a trio of lobby and law firms, according to lobbying disclosure forms.

Thaksin Shinawatra, who was forced out of office by Thailand’s military in 2006, has hired BGR Government Affairs, Amsterdam & Peroff, and Kobre & Kim to lobby federal policymakers.

The new K Street hires come about a month after anti-government protests in Thailand linked to Thaksin were put down by the army. Dozens of people were killed and hundreds wounded in the protests.

Individuals close to Thaksin have been linked by government officials to financing the protests. Thailand’s government, which has begun arresting leaders of the dissident movement, have charged the ex-prime minister with terrorism, an allegation he denies.

Even in exile, Thaksin has remained an active figure in Thai politics, and the lobbying contracts suggest he wants to retain ties with the Washington diplomatic community in the hope of reserving some influence in his home country.

BGR, according to the firm’s lobbying registration for Thaksin, will “provide strategic counsel on U.S. government policy and assist with advancing individual’s desire to promote democracy in Thailand.”

At BGR, Thaksin will be represented by Stephen Rademaker, former national security policy director for then-Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.); Jonathan Mantz, the national finance director for then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s (D-N.Y.) 2008 presidential campaign; and Walker Roberts, an ex-deputy staff director for the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

Loren Monroe, a BGR principal, declined to comment for this piece, saying the firm does not discuss client matters.

Law firms Amsterdam & Peroff and Kobre & Kim have registered to lobby for Thaksin to “provide guidance and counsel with respect to Mr. Thaksin’s interests in Washington, D.C., and abroad,” according to lobbying registration forms.

Thaksin had previously hired BGR when it was known as Barbour Griffith & Rogers. He also once employed Baker Botts to lobby policymakers in Washington. From late 2006 to mid-2008, Thaksin spent more than $1.1 million on lobbyists’ fees, according to lobbying disclosure records.

The Thai government, which has sought to put Thaksin on trial, has also hired new lobbyists in recent weeks.

Those firms are likely to be battling to get their message out against the firms hired by Thaksin.

Thailand’s government signed the Podesta Group to a $240,000, three-month contract in early June. Podesta will “provide public-relations services and counsel to protect the international reputation of the foreign principal,” according to Justice Department records.

John Anderson, a principal with the Podesta Group, said the firm had contracted with the Thai Finance Ministry to help with media training for spokesmen and outreach to press outlets.

“The general goal is to help the government get its messages out and make sure they are being given reasonable consideration by journalists, and to help restore investor confidence and tourism as quickly as possible,” Anderson said in an e-mail to The Hill.

Thailand also employs two firms, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld and Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, to keep U.S. trade preferences open for Thai products.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/106599-former-prime-minister-of-thailand-hires-trio-of-lobby-and-law-firms

Yet again the true Thaksin agenda shows through,. Power at any cost, the freedom to engage in outright manipulation of the legal system to further his own ends.

The freedom to engage in nepotism and corrupt practices, the freedom to neutralise his perceived opponents .

The freedom to extract revenge and the freedom to sell Thailand and its people down the river with the connivance of the likes of Adnam Khashoggni Robert Amsterdam Hun Sen and other less salubrious characters.

Atilla the Hun was but a beginner compared to Thaksin and his band of international brigands.

• Like 1

As the US House of Repres. just voted 411-4 in favour of the PM's roadmap, I'm wondering what K. Noppadon did in Washington. Shopping maybe like his client K. Thaksin ?

411 for the government's plans to resolve the crisis.

4 against trying to sort the mess out; ie a Thaksin win.

17 couldn't be arsed to arrive and vote, or just were out of town...

Noppadom... JOB WELL DONE.!!!

You have made it obvious to the world, and all Thais,

that your boss holds no sway in USA, no matter what lobbyists he buys...

And that the governments plans to help the poor make sense to other legislators.

Noppadom.... "sought meetings with ranking senators" Looking isn't getting is it?

He seeks them here, he seeks them there

But they care not for him anywhere.

Or they are just happy to bill him at $1,500 an hour till he goes down.

That oil on the Cambo border is an incentive.

In that situation, the bill is probably issued as an IOU for later redemption.

LOL,

well considering tthe $100 MILLION loan from the Russian oil oligarchs,

and Thakisin's lack of performance reaching his objectives to control the off shore oil again,,

I would bet the legal/lobbyists are NOT trusting he'll still be around for a 'Net 90 days' billing.

Cash and carry sardar*, cash and carry.

* Sardar n.

1. sirdar, privateer; commander

2. dingbat, idiot

A Sardarji went to a doctor with 2 red ears.

The Doctor asked him what had happened to his ears and he answered "

I was ironing my shirt and the phone- rang.

Instead of picking up the phone I picked up the Iron and stuck it to my ear".

The Doctor exclaimed in disbelief" Oh Dear!, What happened to your other ear ?".

The Sardar replied "The scoundrel called back".

------------------------------

What do you do when a Sardar throws a hand grenade at you?

Pull the pin and throw it back.

Edited by animatic