Hats For Grown Ups!

whiterussian

Anywhere in town sell classic hats please? Panama or Trilby types?

I refuse to wear baseball caps.

Wish decent hats would make a comeback.

Any opinion on which one wont make me look like a complete loon?

adult-deluxe-gangster-trilby-hat-in-felt.jpg vs indiana_jones_wearing_his_hat.jpg

handel.jpg vs gangster-hat-cheap-band-capone.jpg

Edited by whiterussian

Anywhere in town sell classic hats please? Panama or Trilby types?

I refuse to wear baseball caps.

Wish decent hats would make a comeback.

Any opinion on which one wont make me look like a complete loon

Difficult to know what type of hat would suit you - what do you look like anyway?

People look like loons in any hat.

(This is not to say you don't look like a loon without a hat of course. :) )

What is the point of wearing a hat anyway?

As someone how has worn a ballcap every day for the past 10+ years, there are several reasons:

1.) To keep the sun out of my eyes.

2.) To keep the sweat from running down my head into my eyes.

3.) Because I keep my hair buzzed pretty tight, a hat protects from head from sun burn. You ever had a nasty sun burn on the top of your head? It sucks!

4.) To show support for my favorite sports team, state, etc

5.) Not too important here anymore, but in cold snowy climates the hat somewhat insulates my head and keeps me warmer. Its been stated that up to 90% of body heat loss occurs via the head.

So, although i may look like a "loon", my hat does serve some purpose :)

-Mestizo

I don't think a Fedora or a Panama hat has to be a fashion statement anymore than the baseball cap is. If you feel that you look better in one or the other or one is more practical than the other here in Thailand then it would be nice to be able to express yourself. Many more people in NYC wear baseball caps then Fedoras or Panama's but I would never feel comfortable with a baseball cap in NYC except at ball game or on golf course.

WhiteRussian, you could try kad Suan Kaew. Theres a cheapo shop inside the mall, so may not have the quality that you are looking for, but actually they have a surprising amount of different styles of hats. If you go through the ground floor entrance (main entrance)and go straight forward to where you can see Watsons Pharmacy, turn left and walk down. Go past the shoe shop on the corner, and fortune teller stalls, and you should see a shop selling hats and hair accessories. Its quite a large shop next to the ground floor toilets, so easily spotted. I think its worth a shot anyway...saw some similar styles to the photos you posted.

I don't think a Fedora or a Panama hat has to be a fashion statement anymore than the baseball cap is. If you feel that you look better in one or the other or one is more practical than the other here in Thailand then it would be nice to be able to express yourself. Many more people in NYC wear baseball caps then Fedoras or Panama's but I would never feel comfortable with a baseball cap in NYC except at ball game or on golf course.

I think in certain specific rather dressy occasions one could get away with wearing a nice hat. But for day to day wear those hats look rather extravagant. They are from another era. An anachronism. The trend for ages has been to dress down and casual. Sloppy or sporty style really. Though if someone has the confidence and the flair they might be able to pull off wearing a stylish hat without looking completely out of place.

Some caps in this style below might be an alternative to baseball caps. Still very retro but may possibly be workable day to day I think.

http://www.uncrate.c...ingbone-cap.jpg

Edited by greytown