Us Passport Fees Goes Up July 13

Hi,

As information, it is possible to request TWO inserts to be added to your current passport ahead of the upcoming fee increase.. It is at the discretion of the Passport Agency personnel if they will do so, but it isn't statutorily prohibited either. I applied for and received two inserts a few weeks ago when I applied to do so at one of the Regional Passport Agency offices in the US...

I did have to speak to one of the office supervisory staff and in effect "justify" my need and request for two inserts right now, but in the end, it is permitted, but is at their sole discretion.

It's still going to be free here overseas, right?

Edit: I mean extra pages ;)

Edit 2: Doh! I guess not. I was assuming that since extra pages have always cost money in the U.S., the rate hike only applied to the U.S. Dang, I better get mine and my kids passports down there before the 13th.

Edited by johnnynmonic

"Not in the list is the price of notarial services, they will increase to $50 A page from $30."

The OP's link DOES indicate the increased cost of notarial service fee.

It was in reference to the link to the US State Department. Not to the OP...

Edited by Jimi007

The U.S. Passport is not just used for travel anymore. It serves as proof of U.S. citizenship and identity for important purposes such as work authorization and eligibility for many Federal benefits.

That is from the official State Department notice. Hmmm - they must be talking about benefits to the Illegals - they need more.... :violin:

The U.S. Passport is not just used for travel anymore. It serves as proof of U.S. citizenship and identity for important purposes such as work authorization and eligibility for many Federal benefitsThat is from the official State Department notice. Hmmm - they must be talking about benefits to the Illegals - they need more.... :violin:

I didn't know you could get a USA passport if you were an illegal alien. :unsure: When I talked to the US vice consulate in June, she said the price increases were to cover the costs involved in their wonderful service. I really can't understand how their cost could be $50 to stamp and sign a notarized statement that one swears is true and correct. No investigation or any other cost to them. And you must appear in person for this service....

The U.S. Passport is not just used for travel anymore. It serves as proof of U.S. citizenship and identity for important purposes such as work authorization and eligibility for many Federal benefitsThat is from the official State Department notice. Hmmm - they must be talking about benefits to the Illegals - they need more.... :violin:

I didn't know you could get a USA passport if you were an illegal alien. :unsure: When I talked to the US vice consulate in June, she said the price increases were to cover the costs involved in their wonderful service. I really can't understand how their cost could be $50 to stamp and sign a notarized statement that one swears is true and correct. No investigation or any other cost to them. And you must appear in person for this service....

I agree. It takes maybe a total of 5 minutes or less time to ask you the question and sign the paperwork. If you calculate this $50 dollar cost to an hourly rate that would be about $600 per hour. I don't think the vice consul and the whole staff cost $600 per hour to be there on a daily basis. Where are all the profits from these increases going? The old rate of $30 dollars was too much and now they want $50? My oh my!

To begin with the title of the topic is incorrect. New passports will be $135 a renewal will be $110. Here is a link to the official price increases: http://www.travel.st.../fees_5079.html

Not in the list is the price of notarial services, they will increase to $50 A page from $30.

Yes $50.00 up to the same price as a couple of years ago but NOTICE no discount for more than one notary.Any government increase is a tax increase.Do you see it any other way?Change you can belive in.B) B) B) B)

To begin with the title of the topic is incorrect. New passports will be $135 a renewal will be $110. Here is a link to the official price increases: http://www.travel.st.../fees_5079.html

Not in the list is the price of notarial services, they will increase to $50 A page from $30.

Yes $50.00 up to the same price as a couple of years ago but NOTICE no discount for more than one notary.Any government increase is a tax increase.Do you see it any other way?Change you can belive in.B) B) B) B)

I got two different documents in June notarized and they were $30 a piece. I think the discount only applied if it was more than one of the same document. But I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. I asked the vice consul why the big increase for some items? She said the consulate service wasn't paying for itself. Yeah, whatever, I guess my tax dollars don't pay for it either. She it wasn't up to her... I don't know why they bothered taking public comment on the fee increases as they just did whatever they wanted despite the negative public comments.

Here's the text of the email I just received from the U.S. Consulate, via their notification system:

Change in Fees - American Citizen Services and Immigrant Visas - Effective July 13, 2010‏

Sent: Thu 7/08/10 6:16 PM

To: Bangkok ACS (acsbkk @state.gov)

New consular fees will take effect July 13, 2010 at all U.S. embassies and consulates worldwide, including the US Embassy in Bangkok and the Consulate in Chiang Mai. The fee changes include higher fees for U.S. passports, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, and notarial services, as well as a new fee for adding additional pages to a U.S. passport.

More information can be found at http://travel.state..../news_5078.html and on the Embassy website at http://bangkok.usembassy.gov.

The following is a partial list of services and the fee changes:

The application processing fee for adult passport applications will change from $55 to $70.

The passport book security surcharge will change from $20 to $40.

The application fee for passport cards will increase, from $20 to $30 for adults, and from $10 to $15 for minors.

A new fee of $82 for additional passport pages will be imposed.

The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad will change from $65 to $100.

Notarial and authentication services, which now range from $20 to $30, will all be $50.

The immigrant visa (IV) application fee - which must be collected from all IV applicants who are not fee-exempt – will now be tiered. The new fees will be $330 for immediate relative and family preference cases (processed on the basis of an I-130, I-600 or I-800 petition), $720 for employment-based cases (processed on the basis of an I-140 petition), and $305 for other cases (special IVs, Diversity Visas (DVs), self-petitioned cases, and all other IVs).

The IV security surcharge - which must be collected from all IV applicants who are not fee-exempt - will increase from $45 to $74.

The DV fee (which is charged in addition to the application processing fee and security surcharge) will change from $375 to $440.

The American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Embassy Bangkok is located at 95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The emergency after-hours telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

Edited by jfchandler