Most of you may already be aware of the Nigerian scam when asking for items to be sent to their homeland; some of you might not!

I have for sale a Blackberry Curve 8900 which I bought from the Uk and placed in the classifieds section. I recieved an email through (thaivisa webmaster) asking if I still had the phone and if i could send it to Nigeria.

Below is the message they sent.

Hello,

This is Cheryl Aley i will like to buy this item and am ready to pay for the shipping cost to Nigerian i want to send it to my daughter as a birthday gift and am so much interested in this item kindly mail me back to know the cost price for item and shipping and i will have to deposit the money into Ur account first so send me Ur bank details now .

From what I have learnt before, they ask for the item to be sent to Nigera and then send a FAKE email such as "paypals.com" saying that the money has been sent. The seller then sends the item to the address and payment is never made because it was a spoof email which looks very similar to something paypal would of sent. If you dont actually check your paypal account you are leaving yourself wide open.

Now, i'm not saying 'this' person is a fraud but I sent them back an email saying I would only post this phone via EMS in Thailand; I have heard nothing back since.

I got the same email when I was selling my PS3

Its called the Nigerian Scam but people associate it with any country thats not the UK or US I have had ample questions when I have tried to buy something and have it sent to Thailand - usually I just have it sent to my house in FarangLand and have it forwarded on

Edited by ChiangMaiIB

Who would send anything to NIGERIA?

They are around on skype as well asking to download a photo from a lady who "loves" you or seeks a man and the like....

Are you telling me that poor girl in Nigeria that got stranded and needs western union isnt really who she says she is???

Did I just waste 4,000 Baht?

The OP has the sense to know that the Nigerians are a bunch of 3rd rate con artist, but they are still at it. To bad but there are still a bunch of suckers out there.

"the" Nigerians is a misnomer. not all of the 150 million Nigerians are con artists! <_< more than a quarter century ago my wife and my [not so] humble self spent 4½ beautiful years in Nigeria.

true Naam, but unfortunately, many people associate Nigerians as scam artists

The reason is that the first scams (originally by letter) originated in Nigeria, so the name stuck. Just like Stockholm syndrome,

Thank you for the report Bookemdano. Unfortunately we all have to be careful about scams like this.

(Moving the topic to the "Jobs, economy, banking, business, investment in Thailand" forum.)

because many people are dumbàsses!

It's NOT about Nigerians and prejudice, it's about communication - if "Nigerian Scam" is dropped, everyone knows what is meant.

It's like you tell the gospel church community, after your divorce, that your next holidays you going to spend in Pattaya...

If one would say: "the Fax-Scam which has now been extended via e-mail, SMS and on Skype, which originated in an west African Country, where most people are honest and law abiding citizens..." would carry it a bit far - don't you think so?

because many people are dumbàsses!

It's NOT about Nigerians and prejudice, it's about communication - if "Nigerian Scam" is dropped, everyone knows what is meant.

It's like you tell the gospel church community, after your divorce, that your next holidays you going to spend in Pattaya...

If one would say: "the Fax-Scam which has now been extended via e-mail, SMS and on Skype, which originated in an west African Country, where most people are honest and law abiding citizens..." would carry it a bit far - don't you think so?

no need to use "west african country", "originating in Nigeria" is perfectly alright. dumbàssy² is "Nigerians = scam artists".

Not just Nigerian fraud. Below(blue) is an email I received yesterday regarding a vehicle I have for sale. I responded asking for his PayPal account number so I could check his account. I also asked "Who" was his pick up agent so I could confirm identity for correct title tranfer

No answer of course but another reminder that Fraud is everywhere , not just from Nigeria..

Cheers,

mellofello

"I will like to make an offer of 400,000 baht for this and i will be happy if my offer and i will be happy if my offer is accepted by you.

I am a Father at the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese, St. Basil's Homes is an outreach of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Bangkok that provides residential and community based services for the aged around Thailand, It is a non-profit registered charity in Thailand, i am buying this vehicle for my Nephew as a surprise birthday gift and I will be glad if you can accepted my offer.

I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online because i am on a missionary and its not allowed to use phone because of the rules here and (i don't have my check book with me because i only pay on every transaction i made through my PayPal), but i have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay, You can easily get yourself an account with PayPal through this link www.PayPal.com/th and, all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments, i will be expecting your email.

I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.

I will be waiting to read from you soon.

Lucas"

People stupid enough to fall for these scams deserve to lose their money!

Especially the lot using Western Union or Paypal!

I have received some well-done offers from Ivory Coast, them proposing to pay credit card (I'm an internet merchant).

That's already more elaborate.

Not just Nigerian fraud. Below(blue) is an email I received yesterday regarding a vehicle I have for sale. I responded asking for his PayPal account number so I could check his account. I also asked "Who" was his pick up agent so I could confirm identity for correct title tranfer

No answer of course but another reminder that Fraud is everywhere , not just from Nigeria..

Cheers,

mellofello

mello, I received the identical email myself yesterday. also in relation to a car advertised in ThaiVisa Classifieds

They are around on skype as well asking to download a photo from a lady who "loves" you or seeks a man and the like....

I would send the Nigerian scammers to Nigeria, one way ticket and an international blacklisting.

I would send the Nigerian scammers to Nigeria, one way ticket and an international blacklisting.

Several investigations into these scams are pointing to Israel. Of course, Israel will never be mentioned in any of the correspondence nor will the IP address be Israeli.

Watch out for this Nigerian World Cup Scam

Nigeria was eliminated from the World Cup.

The Nigerian goalkeeper personally feels some responsibility for the team's showing and has offered to refund the expenses of any foreign fans who traveled to South Africa.

He said he just needs their bank details and pin numbers to complete the transaction.

Are you telling me that poor girl in Nigeria that got stranded and needs western union isnt really who she says she is???

Did I just waste 4,000 Baht?

You know her aswell?!?!? :shock1:

• 4 weeks later...

Again and Again, the latest:

KIND REGARDS

THIS IS TO INFORM YOU THAT I HAVE LEFT YOUR PAYMENT CHECK OF US$480,000.00 WITH THE COMPANY SECRETARY MR. MARTHINS JOHNSON.

FOR THE DELIVERY OF THE CHECK TO YOU, PLEASE CONTACT HIM VIA EMAIL [email protected]

THANKS.

MATHEW BRUNO

Hello.

Thanks for bringing the availability of the rooms to my notice.i am alright with the cost of booking,i want you to get back to me with the total quote of the reservation so that i will know the total amount to be charge on my credit card on B & B basis.i want you to know that i will be the one responsible for the payment of the reservation so i am making the payment in full and not part payment because i will need to show them the proof of payment which is the charge slip before they check in at your place.I need a quote before i forward you my credit card for the payment.

I await your urgent response.

Best Regards

Arlin Schneider.

CEO / MANAGER

Nigeria was the craddle of this scam-cheating-you-out-of-your-money scam...

An advance-fee fraud is a confidence trick in which the target is persuaded to advance sums of money in the hope of realizing a significantly larger gain.[1] Among the variations on this type of scam, are the Nigerian Letter (also called the 419 fraud, Nigerian scam, Nigerian bank scam, or Nigerian money offer[2]),[3] the Spanish Prisoner, the black money scam as well as Russian/Ukrainian scam (also widespread, though far less popular than the former). The so-called Russian and Nigerian scams stand for wholly dissimilar organised-crime traditions; they therefore tend to use altogether different breeds of approaches.

Although similar to older scams such as the Spanish Prisoner, the modern 419 scam originated in the early 1980s as the oil-based Nigerian economy declined. Several unemployed university students first used this scam as a means of manipulating business visitors interested in shady deals in the Nigerian oil sector before targeting businessmen in the west, and later the wider population. Scammers in the early-to-mid 1990s targeted companies, sending scam messages via letter,[4] fax, or Telex.[5] The spread of e-mail and easy access to e-mail-harvesting software significantly lowered the cost of sending scam letters by using the Internet. In the 2000s, the 419 scam has spurred imitations from other locations in Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe, and, more recently, from North America, Western Europe (mainly United Kingdom and Netherlands), and Australia.

Text in italic from -wikipedia-

Source

Edited by Samuian

• 3 months later...

in todays mailbox:

Subject: CONTRACT SUPPLY!!!

Date: Tue, November 16, 2010 12:46 am

To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Priority: Normal

Attention:

I accept all ramifications, criticism, reservations and abuse that

might follow

this piece of information; conversely, I apologize for the inconveniences this

email might cause you. I will introduce myself as Engineer Lucas Martins,

Contract Award Chairman, Sonangol, Angola's national oil company,

London Liaison

Office. I am writing to inform you that Sonangol, Angola's national

oil company

has announced the offer to award a contract worth $113M to interested

individuals, companies for the supply of gas turbines and compressors for

deployment in the CLOV offshore Angola oil and gas fields owned by Sonangol,

Angola's national oil company, and operated by Total (40% share),

ExxonMobil, BP

and Statoil.

Interested individuals or companies will supply four LM 2500+ G4 SAC

aero-derivative gas turbines for power generation and five compressors for a

Floating Production Storage and Off-loading (FPSO) platform that will play a

critical role in CLOV, the fourth development pole in deepwater Block 17 after

Girassol, Dalia and Pazflor. The project will be located around 140 kilometres

from Luanda and 40 kilometres northwest of Dalia in water depths ranging from

1,100 to 1,400 metres, CLOV will bring on stream four fields: Cravo, Lirio,

Orquidea and Violeta.

We are currently negotiating with GE Oil & Gas (www.ge.com/oilandgas) who are

world leader's in advanced technology equipment and services for all

segments of

the oil and gas industry, from drilling and production, LNG, pipelines and

storage to industrial power generation, refining and petrochemicals. However,

the offer for award of the contract is still open up to the 31st of

November, 2010.

Contact me if you or your company will be interested in this contract

offer for

more information's.

Contact me:

Engineer Lucas Martins

Contract Award Chairman,

Sonangol, UK Liaison Office.

anyone?

419 - maybe yeah, will try it sometime, but's it's not really worth the time, if it's raining and flooding again, then maybe..it was quiet for some time - now almost daily, today this one:

Subject: My Dear,

Date: Thu, November 18, 2010 3:38 am

To: undisclosed recipients:;

My Dear,

It's true I do not know you in person and please you have to keep this business secret and confidential within yourself also is not composer that you must help me. ONLY if you are interested.

I want to transfer the sum US $5.800Million dollars into your account owned by my late husband, I will need your little cooperation to transfer the fund and let me know how much will be your percentage.

I am anxiously waiting for your urgent response.

Best Regards

Leila Rachid

and this one too:

Subject: Olly & Associates South Africa

Date: Thu, November 18, 2010 4:04 am

To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Options: View Full Header | View Printable Version | Download this as a file | View Message details

Olly & Associates,

4 Stanley Rd, Strydom Park , Randburg 2125,

Johannesburg South Africa

FAX;+ 0866116761,

Dear Friend,

I am sorry for the inconvenience of this email but will appreciate if you

can make out time to go through my message. I am Barrister Olly Young, a

solicitor at law and personal attorney to the late Mr. Kirk , a national

of your country; He was formally a director with South Africa Gold and

Steel Corporation Company, a company that deals on Gold in South Africa .

My client, his wife and their one child were involved in a motor accident

along Springs road in Johannesburg South Africa and unfortunately the

family died in the accident. Prior to his death, my client deposited $11.5

million (Eleven Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) with

a security company. This money was raised through inflated transaction

which I am well aware of in his company and as such the company is not

aware of the deposited fund.

The status now is that my client left no WILL or any information about his

next of kin and if I inform the company about the fund, they will

definitely want to claim it from the security company. In view of this, I

have decided to contact you to assist me in getting this fund from the

security company since nobody has the knowledge of the deposited fund.

We can get the fund from this company if only I authorize whoever will be

willing to assist me, by sending a Power of Attorney to the finance

company informing the company of your gaminess as the authorize Next of

Kin to my late client and also file a Letter of Administration/Proof of

legality on your behalf. I will use your name to get the Probate documents

at the High Court presenting you as the executor of my client's estate

since I have his Death Certificate with me. I believe this is a privilege

information, which I expect you to keep confidential because of my

profession.

The business will not take us time since all we need is to get the probate

from the court which I will scan/fax to the company to inform them that

you are the next of kin to my client and beneficiary of the deposit.

I am ready to give you 43% of the total sum for your co-operation. If you

are interested, send me your complete mailing address, to enable me file

in for the necessary documentation before the approval of this money in

your name. I will also need your direct tel/fax numbers, as I will like a

faster communication medium do get to me soonest your response is

anticipated.

Thank you for your anticipated co-operation

Barrister Olly Young

South Africa ,

Fax+ 0866116761

....and on skype as well with a the "put me on yourcontact list!" message or "download my photo, I ama sexy lonesome lady from XYZ.... looking for companion/love/marriage/lvoing/handsome man" well if one does... a trojan for phishing is loaded! But it's so obvious, I wonder how manyfall for it every year! Cause they still doing it... what once started with Faxemiles..

take care and good luck out there - keep the AV - Program updated!

"Another day, another Dollar"... this morning in the mail box:

Subject: BOOKINGS..

Date: Fri, November 19, 2010 5:21 am

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Options:

hello

My Name is Arlin Schneider,i will like to travel to your country with my family for

the new year trips and tours, we will be staying for a 5 days holidays therefore I

will like to know whether you can provide them with any of your tour program.I

want you to get back to me with the price rate and all payment will be done in

advance also let me know the type of credit card you accept as your mode of

payment.

The guest check in date as follows:

Arrival Date: 05of DCE.2010

Departure Date: 10 of DCE.2010

Names of Guest.

Master Peter Wayne....Age : 35 years

Miss Laura Wayne....Age : 30 years

Mr Arlin & Mrs Mary Wayne

Hope to hear from you soonest.

Best Regards,

Arlin Schneider.

In these mails it is always this same line: ....all payment will be done in advance also let me know the type of credit card you accept as your mode of payment.

Account Fraud attempt....

:lol: