Use Of The Word เออ

Boon Mee

ผมเป็นคบัานนอก so I don't know too much but the other day I got my balls busted bad over in another forum for using the word เออ when agreeing with a native Thai.

That individual thought I was being sarcastic when in fact I was simply concurring with what they said.

How did I go wrong?

Cheers,

บุญมี

you have to be pretty familiar with the person to use it comfortably, usually family.

I have tend to use the 'mmmmm' sound you can use in English when I am agreeing with someone, when you can keep it informal, but not delving into 'err' territory.

Sort of an: 'mmmmmm, chai' or something along those lines.

A quick 'er' is sometimes acceptable if someone has reminded you of something that you have totally forgotten.

เออ is used by not considered as an impolite word only when the older talks to the younger or among friends. Don’t use เออ when you want to show your concurrence with the older persons or strangers in every cases. Because if they understand that you agree with them, you must be considered as a rude person . But if they don’t understand , you must be considered that you are being sarcastic, especially with strangers but sometimes even with friends .

The better word to use in place of เออ is ใช่ or ใช่ เห็นด้วย (ไม่สำคัญว่าคุณเป็นคนบ้านนอก หรือว่าคนกรุง การพูดจาสุภาพจะเป็นผลดีต่อผู้พูดเองในทุกสถานการณ์ )

PS. ว่าแต่เขา อิเหนาเป็นเอง is equivalent to an English idiom ‘ the pot calling the kettle black '

เออ  is used by not considered as an impolite word  only when the older talks to the younger or among friends.  Don’t use เออ  when you want to show your concurrence with the older persons or strangers in every cases. Because if they understand that you agree with them, you must  be considered as a  rude person . But if they don’t understand , you must be considered that you are being sarcastic, especially with strangers but sometimes even with friends . 

The better word to use in place of  เออ  is  ใช่  or ใช่  เห็นด้วย   (ไม่สำคัญว่าคุณเป็นคนบ้านนอก หรือว่าคนกรุง  การพูดจาสุภาพจะเป็นผลดีต่อผู้พูดเองในทุกสถานการณ์ )

PS. ว่าแต่เขา อิเหนาเป็นเอง  is equivalent to an English idiom ‘ the pot calling the kettle black '

Thanks yoot...as always! :o

Isn't 'waa dtae kao I-nao pen eng' the expression I screwed up the other day?

Seem to remember a Thai Prince named I-Nao who used to blame others for his mistakes or something along those lines?

Edited by Boon Mee

Seem to remember a Thai Prince named I-Nao who used to blame others for his mistakes or something along those lines?

Yes, it is. :o

I-Nao is a prince in a Thai literature, he accused others for doing a fault but later he did the same fault. อิเหนาว่าคนอื่นก่อน แล้วต่อมาอิเหนาก็ทำสิ่งนั้นเอง (ว่าแต่เขา อิเหนาเป็นเอง)

Yes, it is. :o

I-Nao is a prince in a Thai literature, he accused others for doing a fault but later he did the same fault. อิเหนาว่าคนอื่นก่อน แล้วต่อมาอิเหนาก็ทำสิ่งนั้นเอง (ว่าแต่เขา อิเหนาเป็นเอง)

the English proverb is 'it's the pot calling the kettle black', ie hypocrisy.