Bangkok Takes Stern Step Against Roaming Elephants Owners

webfact

BMA takes stern step against roaming elephants’ owners

med_gallery_327_1086_27222.jpg

Source: wikipedia.org (file photo)

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has warned elephant raisers not to bring the animal into the city, or they will face criminal charges.

Speaking of the problem of roaming elephants in the capital, Bangkok Deputy Governor Theerachon Manomaipiboon said the effort to find solutions had progressed with all concerned parties’ engagement. According to records, he pointed out that most elephants on the street were brought in by renters, not their owners. In the past 6 months, the BMA has already confiscated 10 roaming elephants while over 80 elephants have been returned to the forest.

The BMA has recently imposed a stern regulation, banning mahouts from bringing their elephants into Bangkok. Violators will be subject to a 6-month jail term or a 10,000-THB fine. The law, which has been put in effect since 22 June, also applies to people who buy food for the elephants.

People can report to the BMA hotline 1555 if they spot any elephant roaming in the city.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-07-03 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BMA has recently imposed a stern regulation, banning mahouts from bringing their elephants into Bangkok. Violators will be subject to a 6-month jail term or a 10,000-THB fine. The law, which has been put in effect since 22 June, also applies to people who buy food for the elephants.

And the government wonders why tourism is down? Some unknowing tourist that buys food for the elephant that is there illegally, is subject to the same fine as the manhout. Brilliant! That's sure to encourage people to tell their friends what a great place Thailand is to visit.

Wonder what set this is motion???

Surely not concern for the health and well-being of the animals...

I'd love to know the back story on this one...

Used to have elephant food hawkers on my soi every weekend nights...scouting for tourists.. Likewise, haven't seen a single one now for some time... elephant that is... ;)

"The BMA has recently imposed a stern regulation, banning mahouts from bringing their elephants into Bangkok. Violators will be subject to a 6-month jail term or a 10,000-THB fine. The law, which has been put in effect since 22 June, also applies to people who buy food for the elephants."

Perfect ! So some dumb smuck here on vacation buys some smelly bananas for the funny elephant and then gets shaken down by the bib :(

wow! about time too! I just can't see an unsuspecting tourist going to jail for 6 months because they had no idea. That certainly won't go over well, but will bring in some revenue. <_<

just last Saturday there was an elephant at Tanaam Non. Wonder if i'll see that again, I hope not!

Edited by gr8fldanielle

Thailand the Land of Crackdowns but seemingly all the problems seem to snowball !!!  It makes me wonder do they have a board of people throwing darts at a board selecting whats the next crackdown it also seems to me there must be a provision to include a tax fine or jail penalty on farang included or its not a crackdown !

How do you "confiscate" an elephant....

You confiscate then from those who exploit and undermine the dignity of the beast. Be a good idea if alternative employment were to be found for manhout though - if that's the correct term for those that usher the elephants through the streets of Bangkok and elsewhere.

How do you "confiscate" an elephant....

You put him on a motor cycle!!!!!!

And make him wear a crash helmet??? :P

Sorry... I know it's a serious topic - just couldn't resist! :whistling:

Edited by VBF

And the government wonders why tourism is down? Some unknowing tourist that buys food for the elephant that is there illegally, is subject to the same fine as the manhout. Brilliant! That's sure to encourage people to tell their friends what a great place Thailand is to visit.

No Kidding!

I have woken up some mornings and realized my "small brain" must have been in charge of the last few decisions the previous night.

But not even my "small brain" could come up with something this moronic.

No Kidding!

I have woken up some mornings and realized my "small brain" must have been in charge of the last few decisions the previous night.

But not even my "small brain" could come up with something this moronic.

I remember the first time I saw an elephant in BKK, I was sitting in a small bar outside by the street and I was a little drunk. I just looked around and there he was and it scared the crap out of me. I got over it quick though and bought some bananas for it and the man took it away. Since then I have seen them many times in BKK except lately they seemed to have disappeared from the sceen. Didn't mind them too much as I was coming out of Nana night there was one in the entrance and it was so big that with all the food stalls you could not get around it, so had to stay and watch people feed it. Man you know it costs a lot to feed those bad boys and I doubt that if they connot go out on the street that a owner can maintain them.

Why is it criminal to feed an elephant but not a street dog or pigeons?

-feet made for mud, not concrete : they burn

-eyes sore with pollution

-ears made to pick up sounds miles around the jungle immersed in heavy traffic .

-possible stories of drugged elephants .

-finally, a mad elephant will charge ; or just a clumsy elephant will back up on your toes.

-they were made illegal 15 years ago already.

post-105282-016180000 1278144411_thumb.j

another wonder of Thailand going away.

No they belong in a refuge and treaded with dignity not out in the street

for some idiot tourist to look at. I know this forum love to bash any thing American

but it has been for centuries now in their federal parks been against the law to feed any wild animal and to keep nature in tact. We have a elephant refuge in Chiang Rai come up here

it is run wonderful for the animals and tourist and enjoy.

Edited by hardy1943

-ears made to pick up sounds miles around the jungle immersed in heavy traffic .

-finally, a mad elephant will charge ; or just a clumsy elephant will back up on your toes.

That isn't the question which is "Why is it illegal to purchase food to feed an elephant?"

I don't see how buying food for an animal can be deemed illegal. If Somchai brought a pet "lion" on a chain into Central Bangkok, it might be extremely dangerous, but I wouldn't presume it would be illegal for someone to purchase food for it. But then again of course, I don't write or interpret the crazy laws in this country.

Per se, if I had a pet elephant in my back garden, and a friend bought food for it, that would be illegal???????????

What if you give the food for free? Is that legal?

I can't wait for the headline "Foreigners arrested for feeding elephant"

Edited by Thai at Heart

Another very good reason is that elephants are very much attracted to alcohol. In India it has been reported that wild elephants have raided villages seeking home brewed beer. They have been known to get very angry when they can smell alcohol on a person and they aren't getting any. if you have been drinking, stay well clear!

That isn't the question which is "Why is it illegal to purchase food to feed an elephant?"

I don't see how buying food for an animal can be deemed illegal. If Somchai brought a pet "lion" on a chain into Central Bangkok, it might be extremely dangerous, but I wouldn't presume it would be illegal for someone to purchase food for it. But then again of course, I don't write or interpret the crazy laws in this country.

Per se, if I had a pet elephant in my back garden, and a friend bought food for it, that would be illegal???????????

What if you give the food for free? Is that legal?

I can't wait for the headline "Foreigners arrested for feeding elephant"

They all claim to be such good Buddhist but I guess when it comes to money the hel_l with it :lol:

I haven't seen an elephant in Bangkok for months, so this policy seems to be working already.

They used to keep them over at the corner of Rama IX and the entrance to the Ram Inthra Expressway - way out Ekkamai, basically. There are a couple of green fields over there in the BMA compound. Ran into the elephants while jogging through the brush a couple of times, scared the hel_l out of me. Ran into the owners too, they tried to sell me yaba, heh. They keep their hooves chained to a tire at night to keep them from roaming. Didn't look at all pleasant for the animals (not counting having to wander up and down Sukhumvit). Glad to hear they're being repatriated to somewhere hopefully more natural. Haven't seen them there in months either, so I hope that's the case. Edited by on-on

Having worked at a refuge where rescued elephants can 'retire' after years of performing for tourists and begging on the streets, I think news of this crackdown, whether it's well implemented or not, is good.

Here's just a little about street begging elephants from Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand:

"Historically, domestic elephants have been used mainly in the logging industry, ironically and unwillingly helping to destroy the very habitat they need to survive. After the ban on logging, most of these elephants have ended up being used for the tourism industry or have had to make a living begging on the streets of big cities.

Walking day and night on these dirty and traffic congested streets is dangerous and unhealthy and very often, these elephants end up being involved in horrific traffic accidents.

Despite the flurry of media publicity and government attempts to corral the elephants in 2004, begging elephants, particularly babies, are being used in high numbers in the cities of Thailand again.

Unfortunately, the majority of the elephant handlers are not trained mahouts with specialized knowledge of elephant control. The keepers of the begging elephants are solely interested in making profit through their animals, who are often rented out to them by rich businessmen for as little as 1500 baht a month (approx. 30 euros).

Elephant babies are forced to walk for hours at a time at night, and during daylight hours are concealed in disused dumps, construction sites, or scrubland, with inadequate shade from the sun. To keep them looking small and cute, some elephants are deliberately underfed.

There have been various solutions put forward by officials to the problem, such as animal registration, microchipping or alternative job creation for the mahouts, but as of yet, these efforts have unfortunately had little effect.

As with all wildlife, WFFT strongly advises tourists and locals alike never pay for 'entertainment' that comes in the form of elephant exploitation."

campaign_elephants3.jpg

I know punishing the tourists for buying food for the elephant will prove unpopular, but quite frankly, if the tourists are so stupid that they think elephants being on the street is a good thing, then they deserve correcting. At least their punishment (unlikely as it is to be enforced) might raise some much needed awareness of the issue.

• Like 1