Joint Account For Extension Of Stay For Retirement.

I am thinking about making my savings account a joint account with the girl friend so that she will have access to a reasonable amount of money if I conk out suddently, always a possibility at my age. I only keep a couple of hundred thousand in it, which is what I have promised her if we breakup, so I am not worried about her running off with the money.

My question has to do with Thai Immigration at extension of stay time. Will they accept my savings account if it is a joint account or must it be in my name only?

It must be in your name. But you can't get an O-A visa extension with only a couple of hundred thousand Baht in it anyway. You would need an earnings statement from your embassy combined with your savings account to equal 800,000 Baht a year income.

Thank you for a quick reply.

I have income from two pensions more than enough for the extension and have never had any problems in the past. It is my understanding that even with income of more than the 65,000 baht a month Immigration still requires a bank account and the statement from the bank of its contents. Rewording my question a little, will Immigration accept a joint account or will I have to open a second account in my name only if I convert my present account to a joint account?

Thank you for a quick reply.

I have income from two pensions more than enough for the extension and have never had any problems in the past. It is my understanding that even with income of more than the 65,000 baht a month Immigration still requires a bank account and the statement from the bank of its contents. Rewording my question a little, will Immigration accept a joint account or will I have to open a second account in my name only if I convert my present account to a joint account?

I can't speak about all offices but here in Rayong they told me with the pension letter no bank account book or statement is required per the rules. The pension letter covers the money requirement.

There is no requirement to show a bank account if applying using income.

However some Immigration Offices ask for one.

Personally I would not push my luck with a joint account as it is you applying not your Wife.

Joint accounts are not accepted for cash only applications.

I have a joint account with wife (for 15 years) and intend to continue. There is no requirement for a bank account using income method and Bangkok never asks. If an office asks to see an account the joint account should be fine as all they would be checking is that you have a means to access your reported income.

If using account to qualify then yes it should be in your name only under recent policy. The previous policy was that joint accounts were allowed for marriage extensions of stay and for retirement (but for retirement required twice the stated amount). I continue to see some reports of joint accounts being accepted for marriage. As indeed they should be if deposits indicate the money came from husband.

Thanks for the replies folks. Sounds about like I expected. Don't really need any bank account as long as pensions are high enough but you never know what your local Immigration office may require. My office in Pattaya is very efficient and reasonable about things so I should be OK.

My plan is to change to a joint account. When I go to Immigration for my next extension I will go about three weeks before my current one expires. That way if there is a problem I will have plenty of time to open a new account in my name only and come back.

<BR>Thanks for the replies folks. Sounds about like I expected. Don't really need any bank account as long as pensions are high enough but you never know what your local Immigration office may require. My office in Pattaya is very efficient and reasonable about things so I should be OK.<BR><BR>   My plan is to change to a joint account. When I go to Immigration for my next extension I will go about three weeks before my current one expires. That way if there is a problem I will have plenty of time to open a new account in my name only and come back

Jomtien immigration is an office that requires a letter from your bank,and bank book ,for a one year extension of stay based on retirement, even though you have a letter from your embassy verifying you have pension income.

Edited by alstaxi